Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence (3801 Views)

See Reactions Of People When IPOB Tells Igbos Living In The North To Return Home / Top ISIS Member Arrested While Attempting To Flee To Nigeria / 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 6:03am On Mar 20, 2013
Igbos living in North flee to Cameroon for safety from Boko Haram violence
February 9, 2012 ·
FOTOKOL (AFP) – Nigerians have fled in droves to neighbouring Cameroon to escape violence claimed by the Islamist Boko Haram group and revenge attacks by Christians.
“Everybody is insecure in Nigeria. The fear is all-pervading,” said a Christian priest, speaking on condition of anonymity, in Fotokol, a Cameroonian border town where dozens have taken shelter in the last few weeks.
It is located about 100 kilometres (60 miles) from the Nigerian city of Maiduguri, the bastion of the shadowy Boko Haram sect which has been blamed for a slew of terror attacks that have sowed panic in Africa’s most populous nation.
Boko Haram has claimed to be fighting for an Islamic state in the north, but its demands have varied.
“Many Nigerians like myself have fled their villages in the south. We feel secure in Cameroon,” the priest said in Fotokol.
“That is why I am sheltered here,” he added.
He has rented a house which is about 10 minutes by motorcycle to the nearest town in Nigeria, Gamboru Ngala, where he heads the local Catholic church.
It is difficult to gauge the exact number of Nigerians who have fled to Cameroon as they cross the border illegally, but there are easily dozens sheltered here since the attacks and tit-for-tat ripostes by Christians.
Mahamat Tujani, a Muslim trader from Maiduguri, fled to Kousseri near Fotokol.
“I abandoned my business and my family to seek refuge at the home of my cousin,” a Cameroonian, he said. “I escaped out of fear.”
He hoped to return home soon, he said, “but if the killings continue, I will bring over my family members here.”
Boko Haram has been blamed for scores of bomb attacks in Nigeria’s Muslim-dominated north. It claimed responsibility for January 20 coordinated bombings and shootings in Nigeria’s second-largest city of Kano that left at least 185 people dead — Boko Haram’s deadliest attack yet.
The August suicide bombing of UN headquarters in the capital Abuja which killed at least 25 people was also attributed to the group.
“When you scent danger, you must escape,” the priest said.
“Even in the Gospel, the Lord says the moment you sense danger, you must escape. If you don’t it’s suicide,” he said.
The priest said two Christians from the mainly Christian Igbo ethnic group were killed in Mobi in Adamawa state about three weeks ago.
“When the other Igbos went to reclaim their bodies the Boko Haram struck and killed 29 others,” he said.
Sectarian violence has been rising since elections in July last year. He urged both Christians and Muslims to “return to God.”
The priest said Muslims were also targeted by Boko Haram. Between January 28 and 30, three people — including a Muslim — were killed in Gamboru Ngala, Nigerian and Cameroonian police and medical sources said.
The priest was following an Africa Cup of Nations match on television at a bar, along with six other compatriots. In another room, eight other Nigerians sat, drinking
http://naija247news..com/2012/02/igbos-living-in-north-flee-to-cameroon.html
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 6:05am On Mar 20, 2013
I'm glad they are not fleeing to Lagos. we are overcrowded as it is.
but for real though, what is so wrong with the SE region that they don't want to move back there?
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by achi4u(m): 6:13am On Mar 20, 2013
Why cameroun?,why not escape to EAST your father land with your families?
We have alot of space for returnees,so why runing to another "unsave" zone?

please return home.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by Burger01(m): 6:14am On Mar 20, 2013
These Igbo people self. Must they flee to Cameroon for safety?... What happened to their various Eastern states?.. Oh, I see OK. I now understand.... sad

6 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by achi4u(m): 6:22am On Mar 20, 2013
c.fours:
but for real though, what is so wrong with the SE region that they don't want to move back there?
Nothing is wrong with the SE except "hot compitition" unlike other parts of the country where alot people are still very timid and primitive.
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 6:28am On Mar 20, 2013
^ lol rotfl grin

let me go and check the statistics of how many Americans are fleeing their country due to "hot competition"
if things are good for you, it is others that will be flocking to you. not vice versa.

and let's just assume there is so called hot competition in iboland. for people to prefer to live in boko haram areas than live in the east should say something about the state of that region. it means, folks will rather die in the north than move back to the east!
orishirishi

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by Adejoro74: 6:39am On Mar 20, 2013
c.fours:
^ lol rotfl grin

let me go and check the statistics of how many Americans are fleeing their country due to "hot competition"
if things are good for you, it is others that will be flocking to you. not vice versa.

and let's just assume there is so called hot competition in iboland. for people to prefer to live in boko haram areas than live in the east should say something about the state of that region. it means, folks will rather die in the north than move back to the east!
orishirishi
Like your folks trouping from SW, with all its milk and honey, to London to beg for social safety net and deprive citizens of their dues. What does Lagos govt offer those Igbos? Nothing. Instead they take from them and close their bizs at will. Also I guess yorubas do not live in the North and East and SS. You are an ugly baboon, like Obj/Tinubu/Fasola.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by OurYansh: 6:39am On Mar 20, 2013
achi4u: Nothing is wrong with the SE except "hot compitition" unlike other parts of the country where alot people are still very timid and primitive.

"hot compitition"??

Bwahahahahaha!!!

They're avoiding the South-East because it's highly unsafe. They don't want to become like the chap below..

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/kidnapped-ex-lawmaker-killed-in-imo-after-family-pays-n5m-ransom/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Kidnapped ex-lawmaker killed in Imo…after family pays N5m ransom

March 20, 2013 | 12:08 am

News

BY CHIDI NKWOPARA
OWERRI—The corpse of a two-time lawmaker and former majority leader of Imo State House of Assembly, Mr. Dan Nwagwu, who was kidnapped last January, has been dumped along the Enugu-Port Harcourt expressway.

This sordid tale came barely seven days after the lifeless body of an Oguta-born hotelier, Mr. Emeka Aseme, was similarly dumped at Umunoha by his abductors and eventual killers.

Vanguard investigations revealed that while the relations of Aseme doled out about N2.5 million as ransom to save their bread winner, the Nwagwu family coughed out about N5 million.

In the two instances, nothing was heard from the kidnappers after collecting the ransom until the corpses of the victims were dumped.

Vanguard recalls that the former lawmaker, a native of Umungwa, Obowo local council area of ImoState, was kidnapped in his Umuahia, AbiaState base, by a yet-to-be identified group.

Some citizens, who spoke to Vanguard on condition of anonymity, were affirmed that the security situation in ImoState was getting out of hand.

“The issue is no longer that people are being kidnapped by hoodlums. We are worried that we get kidnapped, pay the demanded ransom and yet get killed. This is what makes the whole thing messier”, a man lamented.

Answering another question, the man said the list of those killed by their abductors is getting longer by the day and pleaded with government and the security agencies to help salvage the situation

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 6:44am On Mar 20, 2013
Adejoro74:
Like your folks trouping from SW, with all its milk and honey, to London to beg for social safety net and deprive citizens of their dues. What does Lagos govt offer those Igbos? Nothing. Instead they take from them and close their bizs at will. Also I guess yorubas do not live in the North and East and SS. You are an ugly baboon, like Obj/Tinubu/Fasola.

well of course London is more developed than any part of Nigeria or Africa for that matter so I can understand people leaving Africa for London. not because africa is more "competitive" but for the HONEST fact that africa is less developed, less safe and has less opportunities available than europe.
but for you to be fleeing iboland for places like Kano, Maiduguri, Lagos, Ibadan, Cameroon, Gabon (just learned that 166 ibos lost their lives on a boat while fleeing onitsha enroute to gabon), then something must be pathologically wrong with iboland.
soon we will hear that ibos are fleeing to somalia grin

6 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by achi4u(m): 6:49am On Mar 20, 2013
^^^
I don't think you will ever understand because you're not into the system.
Our people like moving to other section of this regions insearch of other unlimited opportunities which is lacking in that spot thereby harvesting alot of profit they then reperiate home... making SE the most semi-urban community in Nigeria.
We understand the principle of business.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by Yeske2(m): 6:53am On Mar 20, 2013
@OP, could you please highlight where Igbos were said to be fleeing into Cameroon.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 6:55am On Mar 20, 2013
^ yea I actually understand that. igbos like to do petty trade esp among strangers.
heck anybody who wants to go into business will realize that it is more profitable to sell to strangers than to sell to family members.

but you must realize that it comes with consequences living permanently in a foreign area like that. and be ready to accept those consequences rather than always trying to paint others as villians or monsters and yourselves as innocent victims.
because in reality it all boils down to greed and its consequences.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by vizboy(m): 6:59am On Mar 20, 2013
I still dont understand why every thead in the political section has to turn to an e tribal war

@op
you are free to go where ever you feel safe. If they say cameroun is safer for them they are free to stay there
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 7:02am On Mar 20, 2013
^ I agree. cameroon is much safer than the east.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by Yeske2(m): 7:14am On Mar 20, 2013
^^You haven't answered my question yet.
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by Gamji007: 7:39am On Mar 20, 2013
achi4u: Why cameroun?,why not escape to EAST your father land with your families?
We have alot of space for returnees,so why runing to another "unsave" zone?

please return home.
They'd rather be bombed by boko haram than to end up in Ezu river.

They just can't go back to the east. Mehn, it shows how terrible that area is.

9 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by cfours: 7:42am On Mar 20, 2013
Yeske!:
^^You haven't answered my question yet.

if you are looking for a link, open your eyes and you will see it in the original post.
if you are asking what parts of cameroon the ibos are fleeing into then my answer is: read the article.
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by asha80(m): 7:44am On Mar 20, 2013
Gamji007:
They'd rather be bombed by boko haram than to end up in Ezu river.

They just can't go back to the east. Mehn, it shows how terrible that area is.
keep deceiving yourself while the economy of the north esp north east keep nosediving.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by badassnigga(m): 7:46am On Mar 20, 2013
our next destination is Somali ant Togo ...u pple should not worry ...we won't infest ur SW. at least Somali and Togo is much more better than our SE region which is a total jungle grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by OgaTheTop2: 7:57am On Mar 20, 2013
Let's see if this would make front page... Front page please.. cool
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by AlQaadir: 8:19am On Mar 20, 2013
c.fours:
You are a youruba bastard and may the cause of Almighty Allah be upon your generation. Haba! what is wrong with you with the ibo people? Are youruba people better than any tribe in Nigerian? Don't make me to hate yorubas because if i do i will go after their life OK.
Your eviness of ibo will send you early grave and i know how many yoruba are here in the north and when the war start ibos will never be the tagert but you yorubas.
Let me tell you this now that ibos are not targeted in the north but christian OK and if nigerian divide today no northerner man will go against the ibo because we know the implication it might cause to our economy but you stupid and mothanfuckers yourubas will be flush out from our zone.
قد فاة زيارة عائلتك
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by AlQaadir: 8:31am On Mar 20, 2013
c.fours:
Igbos living in North flee to Cameroon for safety from Boko Haram violence
February 9, 2012 ·
FOTOKOL (AFP) – Nigerians have fled in droves to neighbouring Cameroon to escape violence claimed by the Islamist Boko Haram group and revenge attacks by Christians.
“Everybody is insecure in Nigeria. The fear is all-pervading,” said a Christian priest, speaking on condition of anonymity, in Fotokol, a Cameroonian border town where dozens have taken shelter in the last few weeks.
It is located about 100 kilometres (60 miles) from the Nigerian city of Maiduguri, the bastion of the shadowy Boko Haram sect which has been blamed for a slew of terror attacks that have sowed panic in Africa’s most populous nation.
Boko Haram has claimed to be fighting for an Islamic state in the north, but its demands have varied.
“Many Nigerians like myself have fled their villages in the south. We feel secure in Cameroon,” the priest said in Fotokol.
“That is why I am sheltered here,” he added.
He has rented a house which is about 10 minutes by motorcycle to the nearest town in Nigeria, Gamboru Ngala, where he heads the local Catholic church.
It is difficult to gauge the exact number of Nigerians who have fled to Cameroon as they cross the border illegally, but there are easily dozens sheltered here since the attacks and tit-for-tat ripostes by Christians.
Mahamat Tujani, a Muslim trader from Maiduguri, fled to Kousseri near Fotokol.
“I abandoned my business and my family to seek refuge at the home of my cousin,” a Cameroonian, he said. “I escaped out of fear.”
He hoped to return home soon, he said, “but if the killings continue, I will bring over my family members here.”
Boko Haram has been blamed for scores of bomb attacks in Nigeria’s Muslim-dominated north. It claimed responsibility for January 20 coordinated bombings and shootings in Nigeria’s second-largest city of Kano that left at least 185 people dead — Boko Haram’s deadliest attack yet.
The August suicide bombing of UN headquarters in the capital Abuja which killed at least 25 people was also attributed to the group.
“When you scent danger, you must escape,” the priest said.
“Even in the Gospel, the Lord says the moment you sense danger, you must escape. If you don’t it’s suicide,” he said.
The priest said two Christians from the mainly Christian Igbo ethnic group were killed in Mobi in Adamawa state about three weeks ago.
“When the other Igbos went to reclaim their bodies the Boko Haram struck and killed 29 others,” he said.
Sectarian violence has been rising since elections in July last year. He urged both Christians and Muslims to “return to God.”
The priest said Muslims were also targeted by Boko Haram. Between January 28 and 30, three people — including a Muslim — were killed in Gamboru Ngala, Nigerian and Cameroonian police and medical sources said.
The priest was following an Africa Cup of Nations match on television at a bar, along with six other compatriots. In another room, eight other Nigerians sat, drinking
Moderator please remove this from fp is not never true and please you people should stop stereotyping the north we are not as bad your bastards think we are. I pray that Allah SBNT expose all those elites behind this evil in the north and my ibo brothers we do not hate you people though few hausa/fulani hate Christians but not entire north.
http://naija247news..com/2012/02/igbos-living-in-north-flee-to-cameroon.html
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by Akshow: 8:59am On Mar 20, 2013
Al_Qaadir:
You are a youruba bastard and may the cause of Almighty Allah be upon your generation. Haba! what is wrong with you with the ibo people? Are youruba people better than any tribe in Nigerian? Don't make me to hate yorubas because if i do i will go after their life OK.
Your eviness of ibo will send you early grave and i know how many yoruba are here in the north and when the war start ibos will never be the tagert but you yorubas.
Let me tell you this now that ibos are not targeted in the north but christian OK and if nigerian divide today no northerner man will go against the ibo because we know the implication it might cause to our economy but you stupid and mothanfuckers yourubas will be flush out from our zone.
قد فاة زيارة عائلتك
faking a northern username and typing in Arabic wont stil hide d fact you are a senseless ogbuefi swine. For real no northerner will spew this thrash. Your disguise is an epic failure. By the way Its 'curse' not 'cause' wawa sakarai banxa

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by kettykin: 10:58am On Mar 20, 2013
[size=20pt]80% of Igbo returnees have Enugu in mind[/size]
http://www.punchng.com/feature/returnees-transporters-count-gains-losses-of-exodus-of-igbo-from-north/
Due to its relative peace and calm, Enugu is the preferred destination of about 80 per cent of the returnees.

Mr. Bryan Okeke, another returnee from Maiduguri, Borno State, said, “Enugu State is not just the safest place in South-East, it is even the safest place in the entire southern part of Nigeria.” Okeke says

“Aside Calabar in Cross River, Enugu city, the capital of Enugu State, is the neatest city in the entire South of Nigeria. Its beauty is not negotiable,”

This is from punch a lagos based Yoruba newpaper

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by kettykin: 11:03am On Mar 20, 2013
what Information would Nigerian consider authentic the information from a Blog site that is not registered and unknown to 99% of Nigerians with no know office and operating from the comfort of somebody's bedroom or the information from a registered Newspaper with offices all over Nigeria.
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by vanstanzy(m): 11:09am On Mar 20, 2013
I don't blame them. *Live and Let Live!*, is what the Northerners don't seem to understand.
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by kettykin: 11:13am On Mar 20, 2013
MASSOB should deploy resources and initiatives on how to accommodate the thousands of igbos in the North before thinking of war , Igbo business men who are busy wasting their hard earned resources in Lagos and environs like Kanu Nwankwo who was recently ripped off of N1.4B by a lousy yoruba Kleptomaniac of recent would have been better off if the deploy their resources in building up eastern cities like Enugu , Owerri, Onitsha, Aba , Abakiliki to encourage Igbo returnees who are afraid of how to start life all over again.

Igbos should bring investment in to Food processing Businesses in the East the abundant Cassava , Cocoa , palm oil yam farms would be so much benefit in this regard . Newer business like the Flour mills , sugar refineries , Diaries from a diary farms with imported cows would be of help , it is only a mad man that would allow a mad dog bite him twice.
Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by vanstanzy(m): 11:13am On Mar 20, 2013
Since the Northerners want to continue to live in perpetual squalor, take ur ability to develop elsewhere. My

BLESSED FELLOW IGBO's. IT'S WELL! smiley smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by IGBOSON1: 11:17am On Mar 20, 2013
vizboy: I still dont understand why every thead in the political section has to turn to an e tribal war

@op
you are free to go where ever you feel safe. If they say cameroun is safer for them they are free to stay there

^^^It seems Yorubas on this thread are getting all worked up that someone said (without any concrete proof or studies carried out) that Igbos are fleeing to Cameroon 'for safety', and they're not happy about this. You do have to wonder though why they're so concerned about where Igbos do or don't go, as if we have to clear from them first before relocating anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by PointB: 11:19am On Mar 20, 2013
[size=18pt]Stup.id and idi.oitic heading and sensationalism.

A Priest and Muslim trader from Maiduguri now equate to Igbos? Such lies can only be forged in the mind of bigoted a Nairalander!
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by OneNaira6: 11:24am On Mar 20, 2013
This c.fours dude is a big 1diot and so is the author of the article. Igbo escape to Cameroon yet the men they interviewed escaping to Cameroon are Cameroon indigieous and a Nigerian muslim that have a brother in Cameroon. I guess because the priest they spoke to, talked about Igbo Christians that were killed then automatically this men are Igbo despite the fact he even spoke on muslims that were killed too. ROFLMFAO. OP did you even bother reading the article before rushing in to create a thread on it to embellish the tribalism embolded in you. Read your article and tell us where the priest or even any of the men interviewed claimed Igbo or said they were Igbo. I don wait

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Living In North Flee To Cameroon For Safety From Boko Haram Violence by OneNaira6: 11:25am On Mar 20, 2013
c.fours:

if you are looking for a link, open your eyes and you will see it in the original post.
if you are asking what parts of cameroon the ibos are fleeing into then my answer is: read the article.

He didn't ask for a link. He asked for you to point out where in the article did the Nigerian men in Cameroon claim Igbo.
I want the same answer too so we all are waiting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download A Copy Of Buhari Manifestos-pdf / Group Makes FOI Request For Details Of Pres. Jonathan's Ph.d Degree. / Once Upon A Seat Of Power (dodan Barracks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.