Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Writers' Block And Inspiration - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers' Block And Inspiration (1985 Views)

The 10 Types Of Writers' Block (and How To Overcome Them) / How To Overcome Writers Block And Start Writing Everyday. / My Book Of Inspiration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writers' Block And Inspiration by usefrank(m): 8:13pm On Mar 27, 2008
I don't know, These days I hardly have any idea about what to put down on paper. It seems as if the tap has run dry. And then, The things that would any other time would have inspired me , Now they are impassive. Help me out please!!!
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by jesusfreak(f): 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2008
read, read, and read

read almost anything

go out

listen to pple talk

u'll get inspired again

wish u d best

its just a phase
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by lucabrasi(m): 12:50am On Apr 04, 2008
im not a professional writer but have always had an interest as a hobby but what works for me when i have a block are mundane common stuffs, to me i reckon visual images,taking strolls,movies ,tv always helps because on one hand you r seeing nature which can give you a lot of inspiration and also on the other hand tv has a lot of happenings compressed into a couple of hours
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by dee02(m): 11:32am On Apr 04, 2008
the reason is simple:

your mind is filthy, ur thoughts are getting corrupt and your brain is prolly saturated or shrinking!
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by powerofmap(m): 11:37am On Apr 04, 2008
usefrank:

I don't know, These days I hardly have any idea about what to put down on paper. It seems as if the tap has run dry. And then, The things that would any other time would have inspired me , Now they are impassive. Help me out please!!!

It happens to alot writers broda, Its one of those things because for over 3 month now I cannot screenplay a script i have written since last year.I just let it go because I know I will get inspired again and be able to put it perfectly.

My advise to you is to just go out regularly,watch movies and hang out you will see you will get inspire ASAP.

Wish you all da best bro.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Sisikill: 11:57am On Apr 04, 2008
Honestly. . .I don't think about it. Personally, I've find that when I think about it, I get frustrated and then get even more blocked (if there's such a thing) I just let it go. . .do other things, even begin a shortie and more often than not, I get right back on track.

Goodluck.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Reptyle(m): 12:03pm On Apr 04, 2008
What exactly do you write i.e articles, poems, scripts, etc? If you run into a wall in coming up with ideas, write about it. It always works for me. For example, you could write a poem or a short story about it. It always works for me. Overall, its only a phase and it will soon pass. Good luck
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by oldie(m): 12:46pm On Apr 04, 2008
It is not only Musicians, Poets, Songwriters, Writers that suffer from this mental block
All professionals do
What I do in my own case, is just take off to some remote place and relax and forget about my core profession

This link might help you:
http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/acadwrite/block.html
http://www.unblock.org/?source=google

Please note that there is no "all purpose solution" to this problem
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by BTT(m): 3:38pm On Apr 04, 2008
Write about it. That's what I do. It may not work for you. Chances are it will make plenty of difference.

Keep writing.

Ciao.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by usefrank(m): 6:08pm On Apr 04, 2008
But have you ever felt bottled up? I mean, The ideas are there in your head, but the right words, the will, the strength to convey them through ink is not there? Have you ever been afraid that you might die before writing or singing or painting out that dream in your mind?
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by osat02: 6:16pm On Apr 04, 2008
just relax and maybe change your enviroment, it happens, even to the best smiley smiley smiley
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by CrazyMan(m): 6:29pm On Apr 04, 2008
Try midnight writing; it helps a lot.

I do write but I prefer doing it at night where I would have much time to think and there would be less distraction.

A writer should be in the mood of writing so as to concentrate properly; so try playing some cool music to get you in the mood; I prefer Don Williams I wouldn’t know your choice; just something that would lighten up your spirit.

And finally know what you’re good at before you begin to write, if you’re good in romantic stories, horror stories and so on. You should have a glimpse of the kind of story you wish to write; knowing where to begin is very essential in writing it makes you get focused and stay on track.

If you write for writing sake, you’ll find yourself getting tired in less than 30 minutes.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Frizy(m): 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2008
You know I have a similar problem but in a different way. We are usually told in school to write projects, I write but the main problem is the topics they give most of the time require you to do research concerning technical issues. So if I check a textbook and lift grin a definition for example. The school has a f**ken program(s) that will just track the source. Whether is from a site, an author's book or whatever.
My last project was 27% plagariasm and only 10% was the maximum(I had to rewrite from the scratch).What annoys me is that when I was in Nigeria, my friends and I lift an entire project grin grin grin.No lecturer will accuse you of plagariasm infact they believe we're working hard enough for the fact that you used the internet; cheesy Not to talk of books.
This Americans could be really annoying. They say[b]:"Mr.Sadiq, you can't submit a copyrighted note(even when you lift only a definition so long it exceed the limit 5%/15%) or did you obtain licences?".[/b]Bullshit!
My last topic was about Blu-ray Vs HD DVD and can you imagine that just the title alone brought 6%. I think I'll raise an issue in school telling them that six word match sometimes doesn't mean you stole but the truth is someone from the other part of the globe thought the same thing.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by lucabrasi(m): 11:46pm On Apr 04, 2008
@frizy
dude,your own is diffrent man, theres a diffrence when u r schooln outside naij and in naij im studyn in uk and its like that or even worse here as well, wat schl r u in egypt, got a friend in egypt as well
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by kay9(m): 9:59am On Apr 05, 2008
It does happen to me too from time to time. My solution is quite simple: leave the work and go away temporarily. Try to involve yourself in other things, like watching an interesting movie, or reading a comedy, or just sit outside and watch people going about their activities. Trust me, soon enough something will happen and you will get another idea. And if this doesn't work, forget that work entirely. Don't even worry about writing another; you'll get an idea when you least expect it. Then, maybe after some weeks, just scroll through your "abandoned" works; most times, you will realize how to complete it all by yourself.

You can also try this: playing mental games with words and phrases that you like the sound of (like "Eulogy", "Black Madonna", or "Been Clever Forever"wink, then try to formulate a story after them. Its a trick I taught myself, and it works for me real good.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 05, 2008
I find that my writing is at best when I have just finished reading a book. Try it.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 05, 2008
Frizy:

You know I have a similar problem but in a different way. We are usually told in school to write projects, I write but the main problem is the topics they give most of the time require you to do research concerning technical issues. So if I check a textbook and lift grin a definition for example. The school has a f**ken program(s) that will just track the source. Whether is from a site, an author's book or whatever.
My last project was 27% plagariasm and only 10% was the maximum(I had to rewrite from the scratch).What annoys me is that when I was in Nigeria, my friends and I lift an entire project grin grin grin.No lecturer will accuse you of plagariasm infact they believe we're working hard enough for the fact that you used the internet; cheesy Not to talk of books.
This Americans could be really annoying. They say[b]:"Mr.Sadiq, you can't submit a copyrighted note(even when you lift only a definition so long it exceed the limit 5%/15%) or did you obtain licences?".[/b]Bullshit!
My last topic was about Blu-ray Vs HD DVD and can you imagine that just the title alone brought 6%. I think I'll raise an issue in school telling them that six word match sometimes doesn't mean you stole but the truth is someone from the other part of the globe thought the same thing.

Pele dearie. That's quite disheartening. But it's all for the better sha.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Frizy(m): 11:30am On Apr 05, 2008
lucabrasi:

@frizy
dude,your own is diffrent man, theres a diffrence when you're schooln outside naij and in naij im studyn in uk and its like that or even worse here as well, what schl r u in egypt, got a friend in egypt as well
Am at the American University in Cairo. You something when I talk in class maybe we have an open discussion, I may have talked for more than 5mins and I pause. Those dumb Americans tell me"Please we can't hear what you're saying, you're talking too fast" So now I speak and force myself to have a fake American accent. grin
Also Egyptians that have very weird english accent are telling the don't understand my english.Crap!!!
mactao:

Pele dearie. That's quite disheartening. But it's all for the better sha.
Better sha?Maybe! cheesy
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by lucabrasi(m): 11:56am On Apr 05, 2008
lol,my friend is like 2 hours from cairo but hes moving to cairo later this year and he wants to meet nigerian friends, he s hausa, he said the very same thing about an egyptian teacher who s sort of biased towards him cause he is african and he ll keep on saying no and she ll be like pissed off.i get the same here when we r in seminars, they tell you "you have a funny accent" grin i can hook you up wid ma friend if you want
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2008
@ topic

I'm not an accomplished writer but I jot down what I wish to write about having no cares if I use correct tenses or not. I also engage myself in reading novels or materials from other writers as well in order to have a feel of the writing spirit.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by usefrank(m): 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2008
My fellow, who adviced I listn to Don Williams, , I do that. But it always or rather often distract me from the main course. I want to write a serious thing, as in, a crime story or metaphysical plot, Don williams' song brings to my mind images of failed love, broken heart and stuffs like that.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Frizy(m): 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2008
@lucabrasi
No wahala. Email:[email]femisalawudeen@yahoo.co.uk[/email] when he moves in. I got an Hausa friend and some other yorubas in school too.Is he living in Alexandria?
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by diyobdw(f): 9:28am On Apr 06, 2008
@ topic

even for the talented writer - writing is not an everyday flow. Your mindset is key especially if you have a deadline to meet you need to relax then start over.

What works for me in such situation is a break from trying to write- i pick up some other activities i enjoy and some how ideas flow in for what i have been trying to crack.

Read help alot too
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by arogbowei: 9:59pm On Apr 06, 2008
Dear, it happen to all writers at some point in time, the annoying thing is that it happens at times when you could not afford a break, particularly when you need to beat deadlines.

At such times i go swimming, exerting every fiber of my body and mind. It has worked for me that way. Sincerely, Don Williams doesn't help in my own case, it only bring back images, though some senior colleagues recommended it.

I'm sure, you'll find what works best for you, keep on looking.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Ezenwenyi(m): 4:07pm On Apr 07, 2008
I think something is bothering you.Now you have the key to unlock whatever is blocking your inspiration.all you need do is to be FOCUSED.Try not to think about anything that makes you unhappy.Try to forget your past and continue with tomorrow.Be FOCUSED!
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by domwas2(m): 6:54pm On Apr 07, 2008
How to have the successful writer’s mindset-without this, no matter how much talent you have or how hard you work, you’ll never succeed as a writer.
Why you need intention and how to get it-intention is the starting point of any learning. You’ll find out how to make sure you have clear intention that will propel you toward your writing goals. grin
How your beliefs are getting in the way of your writing success-inner beliefs can stop even the most talented people. Figure out what beliefs are stopping you from being a great writer and learn how to get rid of them.
The right way to use visualization to turbocharge your writing efforts-the best athletes and performers know that visualization is key to great success. You’ll learn how it will help you be successful writer. cheesy
The secrets to using journaling to transform yourself from ordinary writer to brilliant author-journaling isn’t just for memoir writers; it’s for any writer who wants to rise head and shoulders above the writer crowd.
How journaling can give you the ingredients you need to write well naturally-good writing doesn’t come easily for most people-but if you develop certain daily skills, you’ll automatically churn out amazing pages of top-notch writing.
An easy writing tool that you can use for only 5 minutes a day to rev up your writing energy and build your writing muscles-practice makes perfect. You’ll learn the best way to practice writing and what this practice can do for you.
Simple exercises you can do that will make it virtually impossible for you NOT to create compelling characters, craft eye-popping settings, dramatic dialogue, and pristine prose-make your writing easier by training yourself to unconsciously do what needs to be done when you sit down to work.
The importance of “spreading wide the net”-you can do one kind of writing well, but if that’s all you do, you’re limiting your sales possibilities. You’ll explore ideas for different kinds of writing and brainstorm areas you want to experiment with.
The importance of using details in your writing and how to do it-too much detail is boring. Not enough makes for bad writing. You’ll learn how to use details in perfect balance to create crisp, clear prose.
Why emotion is a must in all your writing and the six step process that makes it easy to put emotion in your words-emotionless writing is bad writing. Learn how to make your writing “sing” with powerful emotion that will wow editors and readers.
The 12 secrets to writing hypnotic prose-readers are impatient people. You need to grab them and pull them in and keep their attention. You’ll learn how to keep your readers so happy they won’t be able to put down your writing.
The importance of making a plan and schedule for your writing projects and how to do it-if you don’t have a roadmap to where you’re going, it will take you longer to get there. If your map isn’t a good one, you’ll never get there. You’ll learn how to plan your projects in a way that keeps you writing but doesn’t get you stressed.
How to deal with rejection in a positive way by taking just 2 simple actions-if you don’t know how to cope with rejection, you’ll never be successful. You’ll learn how to have a rejection-proof attitude so you can keep on writing toward your success.
The 7 things that editors are looking for in writing that they want to publish-if you don’t know what editors want, you’ll never sell your writing. You’ll learn how you can turn out writing that editors will be clamoring to publish.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Nella(f): 6:13pm On Apr 10, 2008
Welkl seing that I write and I'm planing to be a future writter, my advice would be this :

Every writter has their own way of writting, what works for one writter might not work for the other, and sometimes how a writter deals with blockness is different 4rom how d other deals with it. Beacuse if u r a true writter u would nottice that every time u pick up a pen and just wish an idea would come, notting happens, but when u r not concentrating or even thinking of writting u just suddenly get an idea, and of course u write depending on ur mood, so. . . the kind of story u imagine alwaYS depends on ur mood, so if ur sad and expecting to write a happy story, it doesn't work at all.

And if have an idea and is in that mood to write that always come from deep below, it all just flows out as u pick the pen.

Every writter is unique . . . so Go find ur own way of writting and dealling with writting problems inside u. No one needs to advice u, if u r a writter u r a writter,
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by SMC(f): 8:18pm On Apr 10, 2008
Nella:

Welkl seing that I write and I'm planing to be a future writter, my advice would be this :

Every writter has their own way of writting, what works for one writter might not work for the other, and sometimes how a writter deals with blockness is different 4rom how d other deals with it. Beacuse if you're a true writter u would nottice that every time u pick up a pen and just wish an idea would come, notting happens, but when you're not concentrating or even thinking of writting u just suddenly get an idea, and of course u write depending on your mood, so. . . the kind of story u imagine alwaYS depends on your mood, so if your sad and expecting to write a happy story, it doesn't work at all.

And if have an idea and is in that mood to write that always come from deep below, it all just flows out as u pick the pen.

Every writter is unique . . . so Go find your own way of writting and dealling with writting problems inside u. No one needs to advice u, if you're a writter you're a writter,

@ Nella, you seem to love the use of double "T"s (and/or double letters generally). Writer, writing, nothing and notice all have one "T", not two.
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by Nella(f): 5:30pm On Apr 11, 2008
SMC:

@ Nella, you seem to love the use of double "T"s (and/or double letters generally). Writer, writing, nothing and notice all have one "T", not two.

lol, thanx,
Re: Writers' Block And Inspiration by gorociano: 4:40am On Apr 27, 2008
Ok, i've manged to pen only one intelligent poem in a year and i have 2 unfinished novels since two years ago, mine is not writer's block, it's writers death, i'm even thinking of adding to the list of my poisons (igbo), some says it get the synapses firing,

[size=48pt]HELP![/size]

(1) (Reply)

My Geek Friend / The Pacesetter Series / Street Rap Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.