Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters (2059 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / List: 30 Pairs Of Bible Verses That Contradict One Another / 57th Annual Convention Of The Redeemed Christian Church Of God (rccg) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 2:50pm On Mar 20, 2013
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
<A Psalm of David.>> The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalm 14:1

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? Galatians 3:1

Today, I call on Bible teachers and interpreters to put all these three scriptures today. First, we often read or hear many Christians even on this forum call Atheists fools and say because the bible calls them fools according to Psalms 14:1 in that fact the don't believe there's God.

Second, Jesus came on the scene and said, "whoever shall say THOU FOOL, is in danger of hell fire. shocked Mehn, this is serious! We often hear even preachers curse people from the pulpit for one reason or the other calling folks fools. How are we to interpret the words of Jesus in line with even calling Atheists or anyone fools. As if you're not getting what I'm saying....you'll soon understand.

Third, Apostle Paul comes on the scene and acted very contrary to the words of Jesus Christ calling the Galatians FOOLS. Mehn, if I'm to interpret the words of Jesus literally, Apostle Paul is in danger of hell fire mehn. grin Hey, are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Calling on Bible Teachers and Interpreters, how do we put all these three scriptures together? What do we make out of them? Don't tell me scriptures contradicts but I'm going somewhere.....and I hope to land safely with this mystery. Enjoy yourself while you UNLOOSE and UNVEIL....Glory to God!
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 2:53pm On Mar 20, 2013
Still, I'm first to grab my pop-corn with my diet soda beside me and my legs crossed; waiting for heavy stuff. cool
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by JeSoul(f): 4:57pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ehm...I'm not a "Bible Teacher or Interpreter" oh...

but here's a piece that I fully support. This is simply a case of one word "fool" meaning two different things in two different times/cultures/context.

Does God Permit a Person to Call Someone a Fool?

The inspired writers of the Bible have given many unwise sinners the title “fool.” David wrote: “The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God’ ” (Psalm 14:1; cf. 53:1; 92:6). Ecclesiastes 5:13 reads: “[A] fool’s voice is known by many words.” Psalm 49:10 reveals that “The fool and the senseless person perish, and leave their wealth to others.” Solomon wrote that a “prating fool” would fall (Proverbs 10:10). In Christ’s parable of the rich fool, God said: “Fool! This night your soul will be required of you” (Luke 12:20). In apparent contrast with these passages is Christ’s warning concerning calling another a fool:

You have heard that it was said to those of old, “You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.” But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, “Raca!” [a Syriac word indicating great contempt, meaning “empty head” or “one who acts as a numskull” see Barnes, 1972, p. 52; Lenski, 1943, p. 219—CC] shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, “You fool!” shall be in danger of hell fire (Matthew 5:21-22).

In the Old Testament, “fool” carried a more serious connotation than that of “raca” (see Deuteronomy 22:21; Joshua 7:15; Psalm 14:1)—it denoted someone who had committed a great crime or sin—more than just an empty-headed person. Bert Thompson commented:

In biblical usage, the term “fool” generally does not indicate a person of diminished intelligence.... Instead, the term carries both a moral and religious judgment....

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=1049

The fool in Bible terms is not quite what we might think. Why does calling someone a “fool” put a person in danger of going to hell, according to Jesus? The answer is, it does, and it doesn’t.

There is a marked difference in how we use the word today contrasted with what Jesus meant. Today, we likely think a person is a fool if he does something ill-advised. But in Bible times it meant far more than that
. The statement is found in Matthew 5:22, and it is part of what is commonly known as Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount. There, He says, “Whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother ‘Raca!’ [an Aramaic word referring to an empty-headed person] shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.” To grasp the meaning of this warning, we need to understand the context.

In that day, some had reduced Judiasm to a matter of externals. Act the right way, and perform the right rituals, and you were a good Jew. Matters of the heart were being ignored. But using several commandments of the Old Testament Law, Jesus demonstrates to His hearers that God’s standard involves not only outward acts (as the Pharisees taught) but inward attitudes (cf. vs. 27-28). In vs. 21-22, the discussion concerns the act of murder and the underlying attitude that can lead to it, malicious anger. In vs. 22, three levels of severity are described, each falling short of physical murder, but each sinful and destructive.

1) If a person nurses a hateful and malicious attitude toward a fellow Jew (“his brother”), he could well be brought up before the local magistrate (“the judgment”).

2) If his hatred is expressed in words of angry contempt (such as “Raca!”–the equivalent of “You stupid idiot!”) it could be a matter for the Jewish supreme court, called the Sanhedrin (“the council”).

3) Worse still, the one who calls his brother a “fool” thereby suggests his own unsaved condition, which therefore means he is in peril of eternal damnation.

In our own culture, there would seem to be little difference between the last two of these. But the latter term is given a much stronger meaning in the Old Testament. The fool is a godless, and immoral person (cf. Ps. 14:1; Prov. 9:13-18; 14:9). He is a wicked reprobate, destitute of spirituality. Further, and most significantly, many of the translators see the epithet, “You fool!” as implying a curse. Rotherham’s New Testament has, “You cursed fool” [i.e. ‘You damned fool!’].” And the Twentieth Century New Testament paraphrases, “Whoever calls down curses upon him.” The Living Bible paraphrase has, “And if you curse him...”

Out of hateful and malicious anger, one individual is sitting in judgment on another (in effect, taking the place of God) and calling down eternal destruction on the object of his hateful wrath. This bears little relation to our current use of the word, referring to someone lacking in common sense who does something silly. In the Jewish culture, branding someone a fool was close to murder. It reflected an arrogant and hateful attitude calling for immediate correction (vs. 23-24).
http://www.wordwise-bible-studies.com/the-fool.html

1 Like

Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 20, 2013
^^^ That was a great help, sis. smiley
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by JeSoul(f): 5:15pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ihedinobi: ^^^ That was a great help, sis. smiley
We thank Mr Colley & Mr Cottrill for well written articles smiley

I must have been around 12 yrs old when I first asked my big sister about this "fool" verse (she'd just called someone a fool)... she didn't give me a good answer but even then I figured there was a better explanation that I would know/figure out later .... such is the quiet assurance the Holy Spirit gives to clueless souls cheesy smiley
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
^^^ True that. If we wait on Him, He will show us great and wondrous things out of His Word. smiley
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Yooguyz: 6:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
@ jesoul illuminating piece, am equaling confused on the subject
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by ATMC(f): 5:52am On Mar 21, 2013
Mmmh...d religious section is a jumpstart
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 5:54am On Mar 21, 2013
^ How do you mean? cool
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by ATMC(f): 7:35am On Mar 21, 2013
It makes my mornings quite interesting especially with revelations such as d one giving by jesoul...such is a jumpstart to my day
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2013
ATMC: It makes my mornings quite interesting especially with revelations such as d one giving by jesoul...such is a jumpstart to my day
YEAH NOTHING LIKE A JUMPSTART. WHAT ARE YA A JALOPY ? LOL
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 8:25pm On Mar 21, 2013
DUNNO WHAT YOU TRYING TO GET AT KING GOSHEN BUT I AM THINKING YOU ARE GEARING TOWARDS THE WORD 'FOOL' BEING IN ANCIENT TIMES A VERY DEROGATORY WORD THAT HAS LOST ITS VENOM IN MODERN TIMES BECAUSE IT IS USED UBIQUITOUSLY TODAY. HOWEVER IN ANCIENT TIMES IT WAS ASCRIBED TO PEOPLE WHO REJECTED GOD. SO BASICALLY A FOOL IS AN ATHEIST. SAME WAY THE WORD 'LIAR' HAS MORPHED IN MODERN TIMES INTO DIVERSE USE. HOWEVER IN BIBLICAL TIMES A LIAR WAS SOMEONE WHO DENIED JESUS.

1 JOHN 2 VS 22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son SO BASICALLY CALLING SOMEONE A FOOL WAS TREATED WITH GRAVITY BECAUSE A FOOL IS AN ANTICHRIST. CALLING YOUR BRETHREN AN ANTICHRIST IS HEAVY ACCUSATION.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Image123(m): 11:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
all these titles dey worry mi, op. Just adding to what my ogas have said sha. All Christ is saying is that we should not have personal beef for others to the extent of uttering expletives. Some Pharisee Christian would avoid calling fool but will call people i.diot, ode, madman etc because they are under the law.
Don't call people names, insult or abuse them because they offend you. Show them light, salt and love, not pepper. The actions of the Galatians were foolish hence Paul inspired by God and with apostolic authority could correct their foolish action. He didn't call anyone fool for stepping on him, stoning him or lying against him. He never insulted Felix or Festus or Alex the coppersmith. David didn't call Saul or Doeg a fool. He didn't ask who's the bas.tard, idio.t that stained my clothes or burnt my food. The use of the word wasn't out of personal vent or anger in argument. It was a statement of fact hinged on God's wisdom, holiness and judgment.

1 Like

Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 5:27pm On Apr 12, 2013
My thought on many 'confusions' in the body today never tends to cease especially when I scan some scriptures in my mind. This thread was created to put side-by-side bible verses that tends to look or sound contradictory so 'bible teachers & interpreters' can function in the Grace. This is another one I'm bringing out,

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Ephesians 2:8

Aside of the above scripture, many other verses clearly points that man is saved by Grace through faith in Christ. Acts 15:11 says the same but on the other hand, I hear\see many quote

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12

and apply it to mean we are to work out our own salvation by ourselves which is contrary to being saved by Grace through faith. If it is to be worked out by ourselves, then it will no longer mean we saved by Grace through faith and if it means or is 'saved by Grace' through faith, it can not also mean work it (salvation) out by yourself - Grace that saves through faith is then null and void. We are confusing too many people. So, which one it is?

1. You're saved by Grace through faith or
2. Work out 'your own' salvation

Over to you, Bible Teachers! God bless you!
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by ichuka(m): 6:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
Goshen360: My thought on many 'confusions' in the body today never tends to cease especially when I scan some scriptures in my mind. This thread was created to put side-by-side bible verses that tends to look or sound contradictory so 'bible teachers & interpreters' can function in the Grace. This is another one I'm bringing out,

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Ephesians 2:8

Aside of the above scripture, many other verses clearly points that man is saved by Grace through faith in Christ. Acts 15:11 says the same but on the other hand, I hear\see many quote

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12

and apply it to mean we are to work out our own salvation by ourselves which is contrary to being saved by Grace through faith. If it is to be worked out by ourselves, then it will no longer mean we saved by Grace through faith and if it means or is 'saved by Grace' through faith, it can not also mean work it (salvation) out by yourself - Grace that saves through faith is then null and void. We are confusing too many people. So, which one it is?

Both.
What we received by faith,has to be workout.our working it out is just believing and allowing the Holy Spirit to actually do the workingout.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 12, 2013
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure, continues the next verse.

So 'God that worketh...' what? What does God work and how does it relate to what we work out since we are told to work out for God works in?
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by italo: 7:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
@ Goshen, what do you think?
Goshen: So, which one it is?

Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
@ All,

What I'm asking basically is, are we saved by 'working out our own SALVATION' or it is the 'Grace through faith' that we are SAVED by?

@ italo,

I think i.chuka hits 'something', part of the meaning but I want him to explain in a way that folks will understand. I will tell you what it is when or after we rob minds together or after we have some fellowship together.

@ i.chuka, please explain better. I do understand what you point to but put your answer in the perspective that, are we saved BY 'working out our own SALVATION' or it is BY Grace through faith that we're SAVED? It cannot be BOTH.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by ichuka(m): 9:04pm On Apr 12, 2013
Goshen360: @ All,

What I'm asking basically is, are we saved by 'working out our own SALVATION' or it is the 'Grace through faith' that we are SAVED by?

@ italo,

I think i.chuka hits 'something', part of the meaning but I want him to explain in a way that folks will understand. I will tell you what it is when or after we rob minds together or after we have some fellowship together.

@ i.chuka, please explain better. I do understand what you point to but put your answer in the perspective that, are we saved BY 'working out our own SALVATION' or it is BY Grace through faith that we're SAVED? It cannot be BOTH.
Sorry.wasn't clear before.
Ofcourse we are saved by Grace and Grace alone.
The aspect of working out our salvation don't really require any works from us,bt entails our allowing the Holy Spirit in us to do His works in and arround us freely,without hindrance from us.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 9:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
^ Good. That's why I wanted you to clear that up. Why then do 'some' quote that verse to mean that we are responsible for our own salvation by 'working it out'? I will buttress or expand on your point thereafter though.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by okeyxyz(m): 9:21pm On Apr 12, 2013
Righteousness and salvation are two different things. Righteousness is what you get by grace(or by right\constitution). It is an awareness of what rights and wealth are available for you to posses. Now salvation(possession) requires you to make an effort(faith) towards that promise\wealth.

So righteousness gives you a right(liberty) to exercise your authority while salvation is the actual exercise(through words and deeds) of that authority.

this is illustrated in the parable of the talents(Matthew 25:14-30 ): where each servant was given some "talents" according to his ability. Some invested\worked with their talents and were able to make profits(salvation) from their talents while the other refused to invest\work and ultimately made a loss. So while they are all righteous(grace) in that they are all servants of the master but not all are faithful to profit from their righteousness.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by ichuka(m): 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
Goshen360: ^ Good. That's why I wanted you to clear that up. Why then do 'some' quote that verse to mean that we are responsible for our own salvation by 'working it out'? I will buttress or expand on your point thereafter though.
Man was never created in the first place to DO/WORK.he(man) was created to dwell,rest and nourish himself with Gods Life in the presence of God.
Genesis1:1 says in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth.so in the beginning it was never God and man but God alone.infact man was actually created after God has finished His works.and the first day of man was a rest day.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2013
i.chuka:

Sorry.wasn't clear before.
Ofcourse we are saved by Grace and Grace alone.
The aspect of working out our salvation don't really require any works from us,bt entails our allowing the Holy Spirit in us to do His works in and arround us freely,without hindrance from us.
i.chuka:

Man was never created in the first place to DO/WORK.he(man) was created to dwell,rest and nourish himself with Gods Life in the presence of God.
Genesis1:1 says in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth.so in the beginning it was never God and man but God alone.infact man was actually created after God has finished His works.and the first day of man was a rest day.

You're subtly wrong, my brother. We are created in Christ Jesus for good works. But I do understand that it is the Holy Spirit Who works. I am pointing this out as a safeguard.

Our salvation is utterly by and out of God. Nobody needs salvation if they can save themselves. However, when we have been saved, we are trained to produce the works of salvation. And being conscious, intelligent conduits, we don't just get out of the way to let the Holy Spirit through, we actively walk in the things He reveals within us.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Goshen360(m): 10:04pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Our salvation is utterly by and out of God.

Exactly what Ephesians 2:8 is saying or says.

Ihedinobi:

Nobody needs salvation if they can save themselves.

Exactly what Philippians 2:12 is NOT saying.

Ihedinobi:

However, when we have been saved, we are trained to produce the works of salvation. And being conscious, intelligent conduits, we don't just get out of the way to let the Holy Spirit through, we actively walk in the things He reveals within us.

Exactly what the two scriptures, when put together is saying - We are saved by God and God alone BY Grace through faith, not by working our salvation by ourselves. When God saves or saved us, just like a newly born baby, everything we needed is put on the inside of the new man, the believer. What Philippians 2:12 is saying is NOT to do your own salvation by yourself\ourselves but work out what is already in us or put in us, work it out.

What is put in us is 'the salvation', which is the gift of God, then work it out....from the inside; live it out as it were. It is first by Grace through faith wrought on our 'inside or inner man' that it might then follow by working it out what had been done inside. The key word for Philippians 2:12 is 'work out' and to 'work out' or 'work it out', it must first be 'in' or it must first had been 'worked in', in us before it can be work out. Philippians 2:12 is not saying we are to do our own salvation by ourselves neither is it saying we are responsible for our own salvation; man cannot save himself but God.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by christemmbassey(m): 8:01am On Apr 13, 2013
Good thread, away from slanders and name calling, bro Goshen, God bless you.. My contributions to come shortly.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by italo: 11:44am On Apr 15, 2013
We are saved by God's grace alone, but faith and works which are man's response to God's grace are necessary for salvation.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by debosky(m): 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
italo: We are saved by God's grace alone, but faith and works which are man's response to God's grace are necessary for salvation.

Faith is the only necessity. The thief on the cross did no works in order to be saved. Works are a natural by-product of salvation, not necessary for salvation.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by italo: 10:24pm On Apr 15, 2013
debosky:

Faith is the only necessity. The thief on the cross did no works in order to be saved. Works are a natural by-product of salvation, not necessary for salvation.

He did at least a work. He spoke up and asked for mercy. He had faith, but if he had kept quiet with his faith, he would have been headed for hell.

1 Like

Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by debosky(m): 12:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
italo:

He did at least a work. He spoke up and asked for mercy. He had faith, but if he had kept quiet with his faith, he would have been headed for hell.

Asking for mercy is not work - all he did was ask to be saved, and that is the only requirement for salvation.

1 Like

Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Image123(m): 10:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
debosky:

Asking for mercy is not work - all he did was ask to be saved, and that is the only requirement for salvation.
i think confessing and forsaking one's sins can be classed work. Asking MUST be DOne.
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Nobody: 11:42pm On Apr 16, 2013
^ What about the dumb who don't know sign language? grin
Re: The Convention Of Bible Teachers And Interpreters by Image123(m): 12:06am On Apr 17, 2013
Ihedinobi: ^ What about the dumb who don't know sign language? grin
that's logical and extreme-cased. Do dumb people pray to God? Asking is praying.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Firstfruit Or Tithe? Which One Takes Priority? / Pt2: T.B Joshua Made Us To Suck His Dick Before Every Service - VIDEO / One Reason Why People Are Born Gay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.