Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) (18323 Views)

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa / Obasanjo, Shehu Yar'adua And T.Y. Danjuma At Dodan Barracks In 1978 / See The Condition Of The 3 Battalion Nigerian Army Barracks In Effurun(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 4:04am On Mar 22, 2013
^^^
OBJ was looking fly then cool
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 4:06am On Mar 22, 2013
like seriously, I've that picture with him and Carter so many times but I didn't recognize him until now..

he was really looking like a boss.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Ishilove: 6:04am On Mar 22, 2013
naptu2:

This picture and the one below, were taken at the White House, during Lt Gen Obasanjo's visit to the US.

Na wa for Mrs Carter o...flat in the front and back...

#plywood tinz# embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Nobody: 6:16am On Mar 22, 2013
Ishilove:
Na wa for Mrs Carter o...flat in the front and back...

#plywood tinz# embarassed lipsrsealed

Lol. Caucasian (White) women are mostly like that.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 1:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
Amy and Rosalyn Carter at the National Museum, Onikan, Lagos.

Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Rossikk(m): 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
emmatok:

Here comes the GEJ trumpeter,

Which Lagos are you talking about.
The Lagos of 60-70s is better organized than the current ABUJA.

Only in your dreams. Olodo. Better than Abuja my ASSSSS. Lagos in the 1970S WAS a dirty, fuc.ked up place filled with molue buses and trash. Go and watch Fela's video 'Confusion Break Bone' aka Pafouka na quench. You will see the piles of rubbish on major streets and the complete disorder at places like Ojuelegba, Oshodi etc. Marina, Broad Street etc were broken hellholes in which stinking open gutters would stare you in the face as you walked along. Not a single traffic light existed on the entire island or business district.

Go there today and all the streets are paved with sidewalks and even have flowers planted around them, with traffic lights everywhere controlling traffic. Even road markings and zebra crossings. On major roads, state ambulances stand in wait for traffic emergencies. This was not the Lagos I grew up in.

You little CHILDREN of yesterday need to STFU and learn something for once in your loud-mouthed lives. The 70s and 80s Nigeria was an unaccountable MILITARY DICTATORSHIP which held the country back by several decades. Just because you see a nice picture of Dodan Barracks with Carter and OBJ smiling doesn't mean you should lose your senses.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2013
Rossikk:

Only in your dreams. Olodo. Better than Abuja my ASSSSS. Lagos in the 1970S WAS a dirty, fuc.ked up place filled with molue buses and trash. Go and watch Fela's video 'Confusion Break Bone' aka Pafouka na quench. You will see the piles of rubbish on major streets and the complete disorder at places like Ojuelegba, Oshodi etc. Marina, Broad Street etc were broken hellholes in which stinking open gutters would stare you in the face as you walked along. Not a single traffic light existed on the entire island or business district.

Go there today and all the streets are paved with sidewalks and even have flowers planted around them, with traffic lights everywhere controlling traffic. Even road markings and zebra crossings. On major roads, state ambulances stand in wait for traffic emergencies. This was not the Lagos I grew up in.

You little CHILDREN of yesterday need to STFU and learn something for once in your loud mouthed lives. The 70s and 80s Nigeria was an unaccountable MILITARY DICTATORSHIP which held the country back by several decades. Just because you see a nice picture of Dodan Barracks with Carter and OBJ smiling doesn't mean you should lose your senses.

I don't know which Lagos you are talking about, but in the Lagos I lived in we had traffic lights at Onikan Roundabout, on Awolowo Road and many other places. We had lots of fire hydrants on the Island and there were even post boxes. I didn't read this in some book, I went past them everyday.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 3:11pm On Mar 22, 2013
This was a time that Ikoyi Local Government officials would be on the streets first thing in the morning to cut down trees after a rain storm. We had parking metres on Broad Street, etc.

It's debatable whether Lagos was better then or now and I think those debates are pointless, but let's not exaggerate things here.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Rossikk(m): 3:14pm On Mar 22, 2013
naptu2:

I don't know which Lagos you are talking about, but in the Lagos I lived in we had traffic lights at Onikan Roundabout, on Awolowo Road and many other places. We had lots of fire hydrants on the Island and there were even post boxes. I didn't read this in some book, I went past them everyday.

Sorry but I lived in Ilupeju and VI in the 70s and 80s, and never saw a functioning traffic light in Lagos untold the late 1990s. Fela sang ''For Ojuelegba motor dey come from left, motor dey come from right, and policeman no dey for center, na confusion be that..'' He wasn't even asking for traffic lights. Just post a traffic warden! At many junctions even they were absent. Today, many of those junctions have functioning traffic lights, with police parked nearby in case you flout them.

Not sure what post boxes and fire hydrants have to do with anything. Nobody posts letters today.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Rossikk(m): 3:19pm On Mar 22, 2013
naptu2: This was a time that Ikoyi Local Government officials would be on the streets first thing in the morning to cut down trees after a rain storm. We had parking metres on Broad Street, etc.

It's debatable whether Lagos was better then or now and I think those debates are pointless, but let's not exaggerate things here.

Those parking meters on Broad street were in a decrepit stage in the late 70s, By the early to mid 80s they'd all but disappeared. Broad street itself was characterised by broken pavements and utter neglect. The entire Lagos island today is 100 TIMES BETTER than it was in the 70s and 80s. No question whatsoever about that. My dad had an office on Tinubu Sq. So I visited that place almost every week. Tinubu square was a joke in the 70s and 80s. Filled with unbelievable, uncontrolled traffic. The water fountains were dead. Just total inertia. Today it's a very different place.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
Ok, so you didn't see them, but I saw them, as did many others. They existed. Fela was singing about Ojuelegba, which had no traffic lights.

Indeed I remember the routine. A government would come into power and one of the first things they'd do is rehabilitate all the traffic lights. I even remember that in the early 1980s the government contracted Oshoppey to set up decorative lights, seats and gardens at roundabouts, etc.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by Itulah(m): 4:13pm On Mar 22, 2013
Nigeria is a great country. I love Gen Obansajo. cool
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by naptu2: 4:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
It's so predictable! This thread is about Jimmy Carter's visit to Dodan Barracks, but Rossike will try to turn it into another "which was better, yesterday or today" thread (along with "everything foreign is bad and everything Nigerian is good" ).

The natural progression of things is that cities are supposed to improve! Why can't you understand that? Isn't New York better today than it was in the '70s? London?

But it is false to say that there were no good things in the past, just as it is false to say that there are no bad things today. It is fiction to say that there were no traffic lights in Lagos until the late '90s.

I hope we can now get back to the topic of the thread - Jimmy Carter's visit to Dodan Barracks.
Re: Jimmy Carter At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (Video) by juman(m): 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2013
Ishilove: wow, that guy can shout! shocked

Obasanjo was a lot sharper when he was younger

His government performed well as a young man, but failed woefully as an old man. What an irony!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Condemns Four More Soldiers To Death By Firing Squad / Profile Of Justice W.S. Nkanu Onnoghen: Chief Justice Of Nigeria / Ignore Fake Results On Anambra Primary Election - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.