Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? (20607 Views)

My Cousin Is A Torn In My Mother's Flesh. How Do I Handle It? / My Cousin Wants To Call Off His Wedding / I Am Forced To Marry My Own Mother, What Do I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 10:10am On Mar 23, 2013
We are so in love but the thought of us being related is so annoying and always create that gap between us. I'm asking to know if it is legal or should we just forget about it?
~> I DONT MIND WHAT FAMILY OR SOCIETY WILL SAY <~

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by werepeLeri: 10:16am On Mar 23, 2013
It doesnt matter. You can even marry your sister so long you are in love with her.

31 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by pheyikemi: 10:21am On Mar 23, 2013
werepeLeri: It doesnt matter. You can even marry your sister so long you are in love with her.
grin , Op u can go 4 ur other female relatives too. Don't they banish pple hu do dat whr u com frm?

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 10:23am On Mar 23, 2013
^^
thnk U just wanted to know if there is any Law prohibiting it in Nigeria
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 10:26am On Mar 23, 2013
pheyikemi: grin , Op u can go 4 ur other female relatives too. Don't they banish pple hu do dat whr u com frm?
hvnt heard of a case around here. I dont care bout that even if they do just want to know if there is a national Law. A lawyer here can help us
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by pheyikemi: 10:45am On Mar 23, 2013
Π@$S:
hvnt heard of a case around here. I dont care bout that even if they do just want to know if there is a national Law. A lawyer here can help us
Like seriously? Y must it be ur cousin? Can't u find anoda lady who's not ur cousin? So wen u both marry and give birth, ur child will b ur cousin's child eh? If u must knw, ds is how a generational curse starts, cos doin ds may be a taboo ur ancestors laid down in ur family.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by achinaboy(m): 10:54am On Mar 23, 2013
werepeLeri: It doesnt matter. You can even marry your sister so long you are in love with her.
i support you bro,
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 23, 2013
why not your mother also? since your brain don lose network finish! undecided

24 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 11:17am On Mar 23, 2013
smartchoice: why not your mother also? since your brain don lose network finish! undecided
This is not the answer to my question bro
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by achinaboy(m): 2:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
Π@$S:
let me give u the answer to ur question,,,,,,,,,,,,,absolute nonsense grin

5 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by baby124: 2:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
With how many women that are looking for husband, it is your cousin your eye is glued to. Even if you lie about the blood link and marry her, you may end up having children with medical problems. From this post I assume you guys are already farking. Maybe when you have kids, you can fark them too as you have no concept of boundaries or respect yourself.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by damas11111(m): 2:44pm On Mar 23, 2013
Legally, it's not a problem. The only problem is the society. If you both can bear the heat, then go ahead.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by blank(f): 2:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
According to family law, you can not. There are certain filial relationships that are prohibited. By cousin, do you mean that your parents are siblings?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by victorian(f): 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2013
Op, you and your cousin need serious deliverance...stop that hideous immoral frnd ship , before u start crying tears of regret , yrs down d lane.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 23, 2013
what of your father's sisters pick one also.... sad
Π@$S:

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by greatgod2012(f): 7:50pm On Mar 23, 2013
@op, i dont think there is a law in our country that forbid it but, the Law of God forbids it, its in the bible, as well as the quoran, that, such act is an abominable one, and i think the law of God should be above any other laws, so, dont do it, there are so many other ladies out there that you can marry, i take God beg you, the repercussion may not be immediate, but definately, something unpalatable will come out of it in the future, which may not be easily bearable to you, redirect that love to the right type of love that is suppose to be btwn both of you and set each other free from the bondage you both are. At first, it may be hard, but, if you sincerely wish, you can both brake the yoke, the first step to take is to move and live far away from each other for a very long time.
May God help you.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by dayokanu(m): 7:55pm On Mar 23, 2013
You dont like your grandmother too or your own daughters?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by andyanders: 8:15pm On Mar 23, 2013
Π@$S:
We are so in love but the thought of us being related is so annoying and always create that gap between us. I'm asking to know if it is legal or should we just forget about it?
~> I DONT MIND WHAT FAMILY OR SOCIETY WILL SAY <~

Your cousin? In fact, you are sick and need help. Why must it be your cousin? I know that before you came here to state your mind without any remorse, goes to show that you have been sleeping together.
Note, you are under a curse if you sleep with your cousin. If you go ahead and marry her, your generation will be under a curse.
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
SINCE UR COUSIN IS SO ACCESSIBLE CAN I HAVE A TASTE FOR MY CONTRIBUTIONS ON THIS THREAD...

3 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by maclatunji: 9:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
damas11111: Legally, it's not a problem. The only problem is the society. If you both can bear the heat, then go ahead.

Nothing legally wrong with it. However, I suspect your marriage will fail except you are living in the North.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 12:26am On Mar 24, 2013
@op, it has medical implications.
I'm not being sarcastic or trying to scare you, der're some diseases dt are associated with in-breeding! Most Autosomal Reccesive diseases are and you don't wanna go into how many of those diseases you don't want near your children.

Just so you know!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 4:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
alutacontinua: @op, it has medical implications.
I'm not being sarcastic or trying to scare you, der're some diseases dt are associated with in-breeding! Most Autosomal Reccesive diseases are and you don't wanna go into how many of those diseases you don't want near your children.

Just so you know!
ok

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 5:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
Maybe I should consider the medical stuff and ask a Doctor. If the union will affect our kids. We'll try and agree with eachoda not to have kids, and just adopt.
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 5:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
You guys wont just understand this love. Mind you Ive never had sex with her. Thnx for your contrbutions.
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
It may not end well with you if you continue harboring or propagating such thots n views on this forum undecided

Π@$S:
You guys wont just understand this love. Mind you Ive never had sex with her. Thnx for your contrbutions.
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by maclatunji: 7:51pm On Mar 24, 2013
Π@$S:

Please don't take offence for there is a genuine reason for asking and it is not deragatory. How old are you? How old is she?
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 8:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
maclatunji:

Please don't take offence for there is a genuine reason for asking and it is not deragatory. How old are you? How old is she?
no P. I'm almost 25 and she is 23.
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by maclatunji: 10:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
Π@$S:
no P. I'm almost 25 and she is 23.

I don't think you guys understand the great obstacles in your way in terms of family and societal disdain and contempt for your marriage. Your marriage is likely to fail without family and society's support.

Note: I have not said it is wrong to marry your cousin but it is likely to lead to a life of pain and misery for you within Nigerian Society. Your 'love' looks like infatuation to me.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 24, 2013
op and maclatunji are the same I suspect

2 Likes

Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by sS2(m): 6:22am On Mar 25, 2013
smartchoice: op and maclatunji are the same I suspect
Very Funny
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 25, 2013
Hi Op,

You're 25, she's 23?
You don't know what you're talking about, you're so young!. If you insist on going ahead, give yourselves 2-3 more years of dating. Let your families and friends know, and see if you can live with the scorn and disdain. If you don't care what they think and how the pain of your inc.estous acts affect them, go ahead.

For medical and moral reasons, you really should rethink this. I wish you all the best.
Re: Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin? by maclatunji: 10:06am On Mar 25, 2013
A very detailed presentation on Cousin Marriage here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement / I Tried To Correct Her, What I Got Were Three Slaps, Husband Tells Court / "Men Are Totally Useless" - Lady Tells Man Who Advised Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.