Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,434 members, 7,812,293 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Test Your Web Programming Skills - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Test Your Web Programming Skills (1034 Views)

Build And Host A Website With Little Or No Programming Skills For FREE!!! / Creating Android Apps Without Any Programming Skills / Which Web Programming Language Are The Hardest & The Easiest? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Test Your Web Programming Skills by mambenanje(m): 4:04pm On Mar 29, 2008
ok now lets get another test.
who can explain the following code snippet ?

$('.b').empty().append("mambe churchill"wink.hide('slow')

-what is that language
- is it under a framework
-what does it do ??
lets think together
Re: Test Your Web Programming Skills by my2cents(m): 4:18pm On Mar 29, 2008
So mambe, I think this question is rather vague cos it is not using a standard programming language (as in, if you don't have/or are familiar with, what it is, there is no way of knowing).

- the $ tells me that it is one of the prototype framework flavors (scriptaculous et al). If it isn't, then it is one of the ruby-like flavor of languages. I haven't used Ruby so I can't say, but how knows? wink

- It is most likely getting the value of 'b' (as in getDocumentById), checking if it is empty, appending your name to it as a sibling and hiding the DOM node, albeit slowly (as in one of the scriptaculous, jquery, etc combo effects). In other words, the page it is on most likely starts off with your name showing, then it slowly fades out.

C'est bien? cool
Re: Test Your Web Programming Skills by mambenanje(m): 4:24pm On Mar 29, 2008
hey my2cent I like you answer its almost close to it but not quite. I made the question vaque with a reason so that guys will try to search arround to know the stuff and it will increase their knowledge.
Else it wont be a question anymore, the real problem there is identifying the language.
Any more guru out there to just come and chop it for us ?? ?
Re: Test Your Web Programming Skills by kazey(m): 6:52pm On Mar 29, 2008
I don't see how this would prove you are a guru. But it looks like java to me.
Re: Test Your Web Programming Skills by my2cents(m): 11:28pm On Mar 29, 2008
That is why I said it is vague.

I think it is better to say, "here is some xyz code. Figure it out and display the answer". That way, even if it is a language I am not familiar with, at least, I can dig into it and try to figure it out. Right now, I think people will spend more time trying to figure out what language than what it is doing. In the first place, how do you know people will just up and use the language from your question? When all you have is a hammer, everything to you is a nail. As such, it becomes a turn off, but thatz just me.

As for the guru part, I don't think answering any one question makes you a guru. It may mean you know more on topic A than someone else does, but it doesn't make you a guru. Remember, just as there are things you are better than others at, there are things that others are better than you at. It's a fact of life.

So again, I think it's best to state what the language is (something tells me that, based on previous conversations with you where you have stated your love for certain things, it is jQuery tongue) then ask for an answer. I think that will serve us better.
Re: Test Your Web Programming Skills by mambenanje(m): 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2008
ok the code above is javascript and its actually coded like that when you use jquery www.jquery.com , can any one come up with what it will actually do ??
Hey buddies I choose what to post, and whatever you think would be a better way to post it is your own version of the post wink
about the guru part its just a manner of talking, because even the SCJP exam wont make you a guru.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost Me To Design A Website?i Need One / Dreamweaver (php/mysql) Help / Website Review Www.ymca: - Tech Pros

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.