Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam (5275 Views)

Why Islam Doesn't Need Reformation Like Christianity / When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! / Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 7:42pm On May 08, 2006
I believe that Nigerians that practice faiths other than traditional religions, Atheism or are Agnostic are insulting the memories of their ancestors.

Enjoy your Holy Bibles and Qurans, the Arabs and British would be proud.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 7:47pm On May 08, 2006
Another thanks. By the way, atheism and agnosticism are not "faiths" like traditional religions, so get that clear. If you're in doubt, ask those who are atheists and agnostic. I do not have to worry about the memories of ancestors in as much as I haven't insulted them.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 7:53pm On May 08, 2006
Atheism and Agnosticism are included because those two groups have always existed. There will also be groups withing a society that are much too intelligent to be fooled by the "God made this" crap that you mumus fall for. That is why they are added in with traditional believers, because they have always existed, and will continue to exist.

And tell your self whatever makes worhipping the gods of the Arabs and British more appealing. Close your eyes really close, and keep telling yourself that you would have been a Christian even if the British did not force the love of Jesus on our people. Best of luck, My Friend.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 8:02pm On May 08, 2006
Whatever you believe in needs a clear up-bringing. First again, I did not come to a personal faith because the British told me so. Second, atheism and agnosticism are not religious beliefs, not even because they have always existed: ask them and let them school you on that.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 8:08pm On May 08, 2006
Ofcourse it is not a faith. I know that. Atheism and Agnosticism is a line of thought. And yes, if you come from an ex British colony and you happen to be Christian, it is very likely that you are that way because they forced the your ancestors (the natives) to worship the pathetic son of a LovePeddler, err, I mean son of God.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 8:13pm On May 08, 2006
You know nothing, so don't cover up. Neither of those worldviews are merely "line of thought". And what's all this guess work you're trumping up about where I come from? I'm neither British nor from a Brit-colony. . . so keep up the guess work. FYI, I wasn't forced into my faith, so there's no need for you to show how lewd your mind is. If all you can do is foam in the mouth and use such language as a way of showing your family background and level of IQ, oh please. . . be my guest.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by 2cantango(f): 8:14pm On May 08, 2006
Afeni:

Ofcourse it is not a faith. I know that. Atheism and Agnosticism is a line of thought. And yes, if you come from an ex British colony and you happen to be Christian, it is very likely that you are that way because they forced the your ancestors (the natives) to worship the pathetic son of a LovePeddler, err, I mean son of God.

Do you think your ancestors would be proud of the words that are spilling from your mouth? You are a walking advertisement of what you believe in, are you expecting to convince anyone to go back to the way you think it should be based on your behaviour?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 8:18pm On May 08, 2006
I am not expecting anything from you followers of a bastard. I just want to bring it your attention. I only have the best interests of you, the follows of the bastard, at hand.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 8:26pm On May 08, 2006
Yeah right. This is the best way to demonstrate you have the interest of anyone at hand (did you mean "at heart"?). Is this your native language you're speaking - calling others "followers of a bastard"? You surely have a size of a community.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Logical(m): 11:06pm On May 08, 2006
Followers of Bastard?

The word Bastard. Bastard: A child born out of wedlock. You make it sound like its evil smiley, The same person would believe in the american type of lifestyle in regards to children born out of wedlock in the future, when such discussions arise.

So Ishmael should be at blame, for his fathers fun? And should be a bad person, and not of God's creation ? Is that what Christianity preaches? Some of you guys fail to amaze me with the way you just judge and reason.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 11:11pm On May 08, 2006
What in effect are you saying? That Jesus was a "bastard" - and Christians are "followers of a bastard"? How does the case of Ishmael warrant or justify anyone's calling others "followers of a bastard" especially with regards to faith?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Logical(m): 11:13pm On May 08, 2006
Afeni:

I am not expecting anything from you followers of a bastard. I just want to bring it your attention. I only have the best interests of you, the follows of the bastard, at hand.

Read the previous post, and stop jumping into conclusion my friend. And if you know that Muhammad is a dissendant of Ishmael through Hagar, you would get what I mean, but I guess you dont know.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 11:26pm On May 08, 2006
I read them alright, and incase you didn't notice, my reply followed his. What you wrote is ambiguous, and I only asked for clarification; thus my - "What in effect are you saying?"
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Logical(m): 11:28pm On May 08, 2006
I was arguing in response to what Afeni ranted. Was just trying to reason with his accusations,
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by syrup(f): 11:34pm On May 08, 2006
Clear now. TY
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by jagunlabi(m): 4:58pm On May 09, 2006
I am in support of Afeni,but without the foul language.
No nation on this planet,whose people practise imported religions ever prosper meterially,even spiritually.
If one watch closely all the prosperous nations around the globe,and one will see that they are all in acceptance, tune and harmony with their local culture/traditions and religions.
Now look at the ones with the imported religions,and their societies are in disarray.Take naija for instance,a very very glaring example of a nation with her people running away from themselves and their Godgiven identity.No wonder the country's populace suffer amidst plentiful natural wealth.A country, whose people practises imported religions, inherits a people completely detached from her,hence the ease in the way with which her people rapes her and rid her of her riches and wealth and send them abroad(to the colonial masters' banks).Naija leaders will go to churches and mosques,only to resume raping immediately they return to work without any show of remorse!The muslim learders will send money to the banks in the arab countries,while the christian ones will send to the banks in the christian west!
All this while,the rest of the populace will be dreaming and struggling to leave for the promised land,the land with the milk and honey,the paradise on earth.Which place is that,you might ask?Whiteman's land,ofcourse!
There is just no bond between people and country, because the fabric that binds is simply too weak,and the practised foreign religions(and traditions/culture) - in the case of nigeria ,christianity and islam -  are the culprits of this weakness.We need to go back to our roots because i believe that God is very angry with us for spitting on him and refusing to accept the gifts(our various native religions;culture/traditon) he gave us,and turning to the same gifts that he gave others.YEP!GOD IS REAL MAD AT US FOR THAT!
Chiao!
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 5:25pm On May 09, 2006
At least I get support of one person. grin

As for the others, leave it to the "faithful" to spin their web of lies as to why they worship the Gods of the British and Arabs. You might be successful in fooling yourselves, but everyone else sees the truth.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Seun(m): 8:05pm On May 09, 2006
The Americans also imported Christianity from Britain which in turn imported it from Rome (I think), which ultimately imported it from Isreal! The Hausas and Fulanis imported Islam from the north africans who imported it from the Arabs. All large religions have been exported/imported several times over the course of centuries.

My problem is not with whether the religion is imported or not. My problem is religion itself. The way people are prevented from thinking on their own. The way religious people try to impose their views on everyone else. The way people waste and throw away their lives and the lives of others because they think there's life after death.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by jagunlabi(m): 8:35pm On May 09, 2006
I will disagree with you right there,nwoke.
Christianity is a western religion through and through,so there is no importation going on anywhere as far as they are concerned.Don't forget that the the same europeans became americans,so they took their christianity over to the other side of the atlantic and continued with it.So no importation of any sort happening.
When we talk of christianity as a religion,we talk about the western civilization.It is their religion,they own it because they formed it.
The fulanis and hausas may have imported islam,but the arabs did not.It is their religion because they formed it from ground up.
Nwoke:

The Americans also imported Christianity from Britain which in turn imported it from Rome (I think), which ultimately imported it from Isreal! The Hausas and Fulanis imported Islam from the north africans who imported it from the Arabs. All large religions have been exported/imported several times over the course of centuries.
My problem is not with whether the religion is imported or not. My problem is religion itself. The way people are prevented from thinking on their own. The way religious people try to impose their views on everyone else. The way people waste and throw away their lives and the lives of others because they think there's life after death.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by kimba(m): 9:30am On May 10, 2006
BREAKING NEWS, BREAKING NEWS

2(two) Nigerian exports, a certain Afeni and Jagunlabi of nairaland are trying to find the way back to their roots. Discovered on the Nairaland forum, they had been talking of imports and exports of Religion. Up till now, Nigeria had always believed itself to be a major player in the Oil export market, not in religious import.

Our 2-Nigerian exported species are perhaps seeing visions that they need to return to their fatherland. Both believe that their present "Nigerian exported status" is because the religion of their fore-fathers was forced on them(their forefathers) by the British a lllloooonnngggg time ago. Unfortunately, their fore-fathers are long dead and gone. They now openly cry out that there is no God, no Jesus, no Bible, no Quoran. Even in situations where they had tried/were forced to assume that either of these faiths was truth, they have resorted to having problems with either the Bible or the Quoran.

The two Nigerian exports in question, are nowhere near the most intelligent of Nigerian exports(since 1960 or even before), who might have tried in time past to pull down other people's faith and beliefs, both in Africa and beyond. Yet it is a remarkable effort that Afeni and Jagunlabi are retracing their roots, tearing apart everything from Heaven to Hell, and / perhaps might settle for something in between. Worse is that Afeni would even insult the Nigeria he was exported from. Jagunlabi on the other hand would stay with his orisa deities.

On behalf of the Nigerian ports authorities, we would like to appeal to the governments of these Western countries where Afeni and Jagunlabi might be finding uncomfortable to allow them to please return home. We would also like to appeal to Afeni and Jagunlabi that rather than confuse themselves further with religion. Such an avenue is not the best, should they want to find their roots. The Muritala Mohammed Airport is open to everybody and with the present administration, things are been put in place to allow an easy passage into Nigeria.

thank you
Kimba, Reporting from Nairaland.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by GL(f): 4:16am On May 12, 2006
To start with, Agnosticsm and Atheism are not traditional religions. As a matter of fact, Nigerians, if not all Africans, are traditionally very religious ppl. They believe in and worship several deities. One analysis of African Traditional Religion I read even went as far as saying that "there's no such thing as an African atheist" and that "the words 'African' and 'atheist' are opposites". That might be taking it too far in view or education and Western influence on Africans, but it only goes to show that Africans are VERY religious ppl.

Christianity is not a religion of force, but a religion of freedom. You can't serve God by force. I was born into a christian family and automatically became a churchgoer. My parents became christians of their own will. I became a christian (bornagain) of my own will also. However, my being a christian today has very little to do with my being born in a christian family. It's more because I experienced God as a young child and even when I would have slipped away, His love, and those childhood experiences kept me.

I don't believe that christians aren't allowed to think on their own. I'm a christian and i think on my own, but i have decided that i would rather align my thoughts with Christ's because I discovered that His word is absolute. All humans tend to impose their views on others. I have that tendency myself and work against it. I believe that christianity is about choice and i would rather pray for an unbeliever than force my belief on him/her. I believe there's life after death and I'm working towards being with Jesus when I die. But my life is not wasting, as a matter of fact, it gets better the more I live according to Him.

Of course there are religious leaders who manipulate their followers and make them do as they say. Christians have been warned to keep away from such leaders. I believe that no man is infallible and I look up to Jesus only.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by jagunlabi(m): 11:52am On May 12, 2006
@GL

Christianity is not a religion of force, but a religion of freedom. You can't serve God by force.
You would've been more accurate to say that,"You can't serve God through christianity by force.".Christianity is not the only religion through which one serves God.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Hunter(m): 3:02pm On May 12, 2006
Who cares what other religion other people are?
That's there buisness and there buisness alone.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by kimba(m): 3:07pm On May 12, 2006
@GL
well spoken girl, well spoken.
God Bless U!!
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Rhodalyn(f): 3:08pm On May 12, 2006
cheers Kimba, God bless U too kiss kiss
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by kellybaba(m): 3:25pm On May 12, 2006
2d 2 nigerian exports,i have this message for you: every man's ignorance is his own mountain !
a man who does not know where a corpse is buried and wants 2 exhume it often,though erroneously starts from the leg.so much for that.
xtianity is and will neva b a religion.whats a religion by the way? man seeking for ways to reconcile himself back to god wch erroneously leads him into searching for all manner of avenues ranging from the mundane to the satanic ! on the contrary,xtianity is god seeking a way(jesus) to reconcile himself with man.
i had every choice in d whole wide world to choose and i chose xtianity and my soul found total peace and for that reason whatever choice a man makes,he should be able to bear whatever is d fallouts(if any).
lastly,i conclude this way: lets not condemn each other's choice(s) as that amounts to a total violation of the fundamental rights of freedom of worship.pls choose wheterh u want 2 serve a tree,a box,a coffin,an effigy.just anything. man is a free moral agent but remember,a day will come when the owner of the universe will judge all men and he will not miscarry justice !
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by nuru(m): 3:31pm On May 12, 2006
I think we should do away with all things imported, radio television, computer, even cell phone. One day we will do away with some of us.

Look lets face it, our problem in Nigeria is not from religion per se, if at all it has anything to do with it, then it is the way we apply religion to our daily ordinary life.

Lets talk of more important things.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by folababa: 4:11pm On May 12, 2006
[size=16pt]Asiere! U want to go to hell Abi?! [/size]
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by 4Play(m): 4:26pm On May 12, 2006
In what way are religions imported?Let's not forget that some Africans have been Christians long b4 Europeans became Christians.The famous St Augustine was an African and there were 3 African Popes in the early days.
If you know your history you will know that African missionaries helped spread Christianity to Europe .It is true that Europeans helped bring Christianity to our own part of sub-saharan Africa but that doesn't mean it is their own religion.
Let's not forget that many Nigerian tribes trace their ancestry to the Middle East so the two religions that owe their origin to that part of the world-Christianity and Islam- are as much part of our heritage as any other religion
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by seeker(m): 4:27pm On May 12, 2006
I can't believe such ignorance. To start with christianity is not a British religion. It is Jewish.

therefore @jagunlabi, most great nations in the world practice an "imported" religion. In fact, I can't think of any, maybe except china. Ah, buddism originated in china. Please give me 1 eg of a so called advanced nation that practices an indeginous religion.

Islamic civilization produced a lot of advances in mathemaitics and other fields, a lot of which we stilll use today.

If you guys choose to believe in your grandfathers corpses, it's your headache, and I cannot begrudge you the benefit. But please don't insult or berate other people's beliefs, no matter how stupid they may sound to you. believe me other people feel the same way about you, very strongly.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by seeker(m): 4:29pm On May 12, 2006
Sorry, I meant buddism originated in India
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Damest09(f): 4:59pm On May 12, 2006
This is a free world, no one is imposing any religion on someone, they are just trying to tell you what they know is right. Choose the wrong religion and rot in HELL!!!

Note;

I'm not available for antagonist or argument, anybody who have this toward my comment should kindly shut up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD / TB Joshua Prophesies Death On 2go / Facebook Users / Ewe/yoruba Are Descendants Of Jacob!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.