Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,768 members, 7,824,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

What Not To Wear To A Wedding. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Not To Wear To A Wedding. (28802 Views)

Chic Outfits You Can Wear To Work From Monday Through Thursday / What To Wear To Every Other Wedding Event / A Wedding Dress Made Out Of Condoms (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 7:20pm On Mar 25, 2013
I was browsing through the pictures of some of the guests at one of the Nigerian celebrity weddings that recently took place and i just coudn't help wondering if it was a wedding ceremony or a wedding party .

So the wedding invitation has been hanging on your table for a few weeks and now that the date is here, you realize that you have no idea what you are going to wear. Before you make the mad dash to your closet to scan your wardrobe for wearable outfits, there are a few tried and true rules to stick to. You don’t want to be that girl that shows up and takes attention away from the happy couple, and you really don’t want to be the girl that the mother of the bride scowls at all night either. Take a look at 10 rules to stick to when preparing to attend your next wedding!

RULE #1 . NO WHITES ! ( for crying out loud).

While this rule has been in existence for about as long as its been custom for the bride to wear white, there are still a select few individuals that need to be reminded (we’re looking at you Pippa!). Wearing white to a wedding is rude and considered disrespectful to the bride, as it takes some of the attention off of the bride (as Pippa did to sister Kate at the Royal Wedding). Lately, however with the forever evolving customs, brides have chosen cream or ivory gowns for their wedding party and even requested that their guests wear white, but if this is not the case, then just don’t do it!

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 7:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE # 2 NO SKINNY DRESSES

Weddings are not the time for you to pull out your Rick James-approved “Super Freak” dress. Weddings are full of parents, grandparents, children and other people who are not there to be distracted by your scandalous cut outs and thigh-baring hemlines. Cut it out ladies! Don’t be the girl afraid to make eye contact with the priest in the church because you’re afraid he may see your cleavage. You can dance and flirt with the other single people all night long, but don’t be the slutty guest. It’s not worth it and, remember, the wedding’s not all about you!

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 7:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #3 PANT SUITS

Pantsuits may seem like a good conservative option, but save them for business meetings and interviews. At a wedding, they will just make you look uptight and stuffy. You want to be able to let your hair down and have a good time at a wedding—you don’t want to look like you are meant to be sitting in somebody’s board meeting. They may be trendy this season, but we say keep the pantsuit at work, not at a wedding!

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 7:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #4 FLIPFLOPS

Now, we know that you want to be comfortable so that you can dance and party at the wedding reception, but flip flops are just a bit tacky. Unless you are attending a beach wedding and the bride has requested that you wear flip flops, then no, don’t do it. Some brides choose to give out flip flops as wedding favors so the ladies can make a quick shoe swap during the party, so in this case, feel free. Otherwise, leave them in your closet ladies, or maybe in the car for the ride home.

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 7:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #5 DENIM

Denim may be chic this season with all of the different sleek styles, but no matter how nice you think your denim look is, it is never appropriate for a wedding. Well, unless the bride requests denim of course. But generally speaking, weddings are for cocktail attire, sundresses or black tie dress code-worthy gowns. Not jeans. It doesn’t matter if they are high-waisted, doesn’t matter if they are waxed and it doesn’t matter if you wear heels. Park your jeans next to your flip flops when you are headed to the next wedding!

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 7:34pm On Mar 25, 2013
WELL FOR NOW I SHALL BE TAKING A BREAK TO BRING YOU THE REMAINING FIVE RULES FOR WHAT NOT TO WEAR TO A WEDDING.

later. smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #6 TULLE

Are you the flower girl? Are you under the age of 6? No? Okay, then why are you wearing tulle?! Leave the frill and the flowers to the little ladies throwing petals before the bride. Unless the theme is princess chic and the bride wants a butt load of tulle on the dance floor, then we’re sure she doesn’t want any from you!

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 8:21pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #7 BRIDAL PARTY COLOURS

While that pretty teal dress that you’ve been eyeing for the wedding may seem perfectly appropriate, we recommend that you do some research. Pull out the invitation and check out the color scheme, or give the bride a call and ask what color her party is wearing. Because, and we are speaking from experience, you do not want to show up wearing the same color as the bridesmaids! You’ll look like you are bitter that you weren’t selected, and in all of the photos, you’ll look like a bridesmaid. We promise, bad idea, even if it is a total accident!

2 Likes

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 8:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #8 BLACK

Are you in mourning? Is it a black and white themed wedding? Okay, then no black. Weddings are happy and fun occasions, no place for a drab black dress. No matter how pretty the dress may be, black should be reserved for another kind of party. You’ll stand out like a sore thumb in a room full of colorful, lively guests. Wear your black dress to the bachelorette party, not the wedding!

1 Like

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 8:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
RULE #9 SHORTS

Shorts are yet another wedding day no-no. No matter how fancy they may be, they are not for weddings. They may be designer, they may be sil and they may be an appropriate length, but they are still not for weddings. Not with heels, not with a fancy blouse. Just stick to your skirts and dresses and you can’t go wrong. Why rock the boat?

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 8:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
And finally , this is my favorite part.

RULE #10 WRONG SHOES FOR THE VENUE

When you are choosing your shoes, try to have some sort of an idea of what the terrain is like. If there will be cobble stone, sand or gravel, then you’re going to want to stay away from the stilettos. They are going to ruin your night, and they probably won’t look too great at the end of the night either. Go for the thicker heels or even a formal wedge and you’ll make it through without sinking, getting stuck or ruining your shoes!

GIRL TALK TIME: What do you think of these wedding wear no-nos? Would you wear any of these frowned upon outfits to a wedding? What clothing do you think should never be worn at a wedding?

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by rezzy: 10:25pm On Mar 25, 2013
I wear native i.e traditional attire
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by uzoo: 10:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
Actually, i was referring to a formal/church wedding.
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 26, 2013
After this list, there is nothing left for me to wear undecided

13 Likes

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by zglobalsim3: 10:32am On Mar 26, 2013
good
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by a1solution: 10:35am On Mar 26, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:
That is true o.
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Scarpon(m): 10:38am On Mar 26, 2013
shey na sack we go gon wear

2 Likes

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Lakayana: 10:38am On Mar 26, 2013
Are we talking about what not to wear to oyinbo weddings? What's our business with that this is Nairaland and we are Nigerians there so can we discuss what not to wear to 9ja parties please?

7 Likes

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Scarpon(m): 10:38am On Mar 26, 2013
shey na sack we go gon wear??
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by ifemiide: 10:39am On Mar 26, 2013
which cloth remain wey person go wear, if we no fit wear any of the above. pls change the topic to cloth you should wear to a wedding. or should we be dressing like lagbaja.
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by freecocoa(f): 10:40am On Mar 26, 2013
Na to nakid go go kuku sure pass since the whole wardrobe has been struck out.
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Sweetblaze(f): 10:41am On Mar 26, 2013
what about traditional wedding?
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by koolet: 10:42am On Mar 26, 2013
aaaw!! buh... iz it Saturday?? undecided
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by koolet: 10:42am On Mar 26, 2013
Madness
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by koolet: 10:43am On Mar 26, 2013
Az Wel as many african dresses re nt on d list, lyk suit, Buba , Agbada, kaftan, pencil jeans,carrotjeans nd many other English wears so ..No qualms jor smiley
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by yetunde01(f): 10:46am On Mar 26, 2013
Ok I hear. Pls tell us what †Φ wear then. When u state a problem u give a solution.
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 26, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:
cheesy cheesy
I already know all of the above rules. These days I attend weddings with my ankara materials sown in different styles. May be you should try some, it makes you more comfortable and classy.

2 Likes

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 26, 2013
I agree with you. Attention should be left for the couple alone

1 Like

Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by noskeybaba: 10:49am On Mar 26, 2013
If I like I dress like Jim Iyke, if I like I dress like Warri Millionaire or even Cabo Snoop self grin , its none of ur business. I wear what is comfortable for M̶̲̅ε̲̣ Aηδ there is nothing u can do about it tongue
Re: What Not To Wear To A Wedding. by yuzedo: 10:49am On Mar 26, 2013
No. 11 = G-String payint!!!!! angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guys Can You Rock These Sandals? / Oluchi Onweagba Without Make-Up (Picture) / Ladies, Would You Rock This Outfit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.