Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,072 members, 7,953,277 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:26 PM

Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account (13719 Views)

Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit / Amazon Now Ships Any Item To Nigeria And Kenya - No Third Party Involved / Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
I don''t actually know where to post this, but since it has to do with money I decided to post it here. But sincerely I need help and advice concerning this issue:

At exactly 11:23 am this morning I received a text on my phone that 1,450 Naira has been debited from my account. Reason, that I made a POINT OF SALE PURCHASE on Konga.com.

When I saw this I was not really bothered and that I would later go to the bank myself to rectify the mistake.

At 11:50am I received another alert of another transaction. This time 2,000 Naira was debited from another POINT OF SALE PURCHASE on pinreload.com.

Then I started getting worried, so I brought out my ATM Card to be sure and sure enough my card was still with me.

At exactly 11:54 am another message came in. 2,000 Naira debited also due to a POS transaction on pinreload.com.

Now I was very,very alarmed so I quickly stopped my business transaction taking place at that moment and jumped on the next bike I could find, my destination, the nearest GT Bank branch so as to block my ATM Card before the thief decided to use my money to buy something pricey.

On my way to the bank, I received another alert. 2,000 Naira on pinreload.com.

Luckily the nearest GT Bank branch was not too far so I got there within two minutes, but the queue was too long so I literally had to force my way into the bank. While I was doing this another alert came in, another 2,000 Naira.

Inside the bank at the Customer Care desk the queue was much longer, so I had to really persuade the guy at the desk to give me express service. In the process another text came in, 2,000 Naira also from pinreload.com. This convinced him and he quickly blocked my ATM Card which I was holding.

After blocking my ATM Card I asked him to help me to trace from where the transaction was taking place but he told me that I should come back for that for that will take some time.

In total 11,450 Naira was deducted from my account.

Then I called GT Connect to see if those transactions could be reversed and was told that it was not possible. She told me that she noticed that I withdrew from an ATM at computer village last friday, that I must be extra careful in places like that.

The problem that I have is that I do not think that I am willing to reactivate my ATM, in fact I am now very much afraid of that little plastic.

And please does anybody know how it is possible for somebody to just get my details and then use it for online transactions. I dont do online transactions and my ATM card is always with me.

Please I need answers fast not only for myself but for the tens of millions of Nigerians who could also be victims.

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by bigtt76(f): 2:44am On Mar 26, 2013
GTBank's ATM cards are fraudulent. Either their IT staff have duplicate copies of all cards produced and you the holder forgot to change the default PIN or how else could the theives validate their transactions on pinreload? Did you buy on pinreload before?
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by strangest(m): 4:11am On Mar 26, 2013
For someone to use your ATM to make purchase on the internet, he only needs the details on your ATM... you must have left your card lying around for someone close to you to pick it up and use the details...

4 Likes

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 26, 2013
bigtt76: GTBank's ATM cards are fraudulent. Either their IT staff have duplicate copies of all cards produced and you the holder forgot to change the default PIN or how else could the theives validate their transactions on pinreload? Did you buy on pinreload before?

I have changed my password up to twice, and that was the first I would be hearing about pinreload.

I have never ever used the card for online transactions.
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 26, 2013
strangest: For someone to use your ATM to make purchase on the internet, he only needs the details on your ATM... you must have left your card lying around for someone close to you to pick it up and use the details...

Trust me I never did that. My ATM cards are always in a hidden place of my bag. I live alone with my wife and my one year old child.

Nobody close to me has access to it.
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Ferenc: 8:29am On Mar 26, 2013
If customer service advices caution at places like computer village, then its likely your card & pin code were scanned at ATM in that location. In other words, you card was cloned.

6 Likes

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by dav8id(m): 9:16am On Mar 26, 2013
@Op i feel sorry for you...i hope that account is not your business account,never used atm card on your business account.that's how i'm handling mine.
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 26, 2013
dav8id: @Op i feel sorry for you...i hope that account is not your business account,never used atm card on your business account.that's how i'm handling mine.

In fact it was my business account, and now that I have blocked the card I now know that I will never have an ATM for that account.

Just imagine if I had not received any message about the transaction taking place.
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 26, 2013
I went to the bank this morning, they said that I should fill a Card Dispute Form to see how my money could be returned to me.

I filled it and they said I should check back tomorrow to get feedback.

1 Like

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by nairaman66(m): 4:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
In total 11,450 Naira was deducted from my account.

If it were monies coming into your account at that rate, would you have rushed to the bank? Sorries.. Joking!!

Sorries for your travails, that little plastic card is the devil's card man.

1 Like

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by momodub: 4:22pm On Mar 26, 2013
smileyoya if the money is not returned call your solicitor
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by adexsimply(m): 4:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
how much remain 4 ur account?

1 Like

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 4:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
If i had brains to pull such stunts, I'd have been designing my bill gates condom by now.
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Okijajuju1(m): 4:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
GTB should be responsible for such I guess and should refund you your money..

Secondly, be careful when using ATMs at certain places.. There is a clone device that can clone your card and store your pin that is normally fitted to the machine and you will not know.

Below are examples of card cloners;

Also, be careful not to let your card out of your sight when paying via POS machines.. Demand to hold the machine in your hands and look at it carefully for any attachments to the device..

I saw them use it successfully on the T.V show "The real hustle" and realized that 99.9% of individuals would have fallen for that trick..

Card cloning is real peoples.. Its the simplest robbery trick in the book..

4 Likes

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by b0dnel: 4:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
Op,
the only way they would use your card on line is to use the long 16 digit number on the card and trhe CCV written at the back, your PIN IS NOT NEEDED.

3 Likes

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Okijajuju1(m): 4:32pm On Mar 26, 2013
b0dnel: Op,
the only way they would use your card on line is to use the long 16 digit number on the card and trhe CCV written at the back, your PIN IS NOT NEEDED.

Not always true..

1 Like

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 26, 2013
ATM cards re so problematic
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by dridowu: 4:38pm On Mar 26, 2013
Since 9yrs ago am yet to xpernce such tins. Thanks to 1st bank
@op, i really feel ur pain, sori bro
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Gennyz(m): 4:38pm On Mar 26, 2013
GT Bank is prone to dis attack,i hav heard of cyber attacks y is always GT bnk,pls people beware cos thr use VISA y oda bnks use MASTER card.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by baynix(m): 4:39pm On Mar 26, 2013
Your card has been cloned sir!!
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by tellwisdom: 4:41pm On Mar 26, 2013
Haba, you could have gone to the nearest ATM Machine and change your pin, instead of rushing recklessly to the bank.

This one wey dem don comot your food money, how you go do am now??..You still get money so?? sad
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by ogaemma: 4:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
strangest: For someone to use your ATM to make purchase on the internet, he only needs the details on your ATM... you must have left your card lying around for someone close to you to pick it up and use the details...
You are very correct. do not only protect your ATM pin, also protect the ATM card.

1 Like

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by Iko5000: 4:45pm On Mar 26, 2013
In Uk when using a Visa card online you have to set up a passowrd and then all online transaction with that card wont go through without the password . Do they do that in Nigeria ?
Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by EreluY(f): 4:46pm On Mar 26, 2013
[b]I am writing based on how ATMs work in the developed world (Europe & North America). Someone only needs to have the details on your ATM card. These are as follows: your name as it appears on the card; issue and expiry dates; the long number (usually 16 digits) across the front of the card; and, the authorisation code (last 3 digits) on the back of the card. With these details transactions can take place online, anywhere in the world, where the card type is accepted.

Having stopped the card, the details of which, apparently, have been compromised, what the bank needs to do is to re-issue you with a new one -typically containing same name, but different card number, issue and expiry dates and authorisation code. What you then need to do is to ensure that the details are not compromised. This include ensuring that you use the cards on website you trust 100%.

In the UK, as is elsewhere in the developed world, customers are insured against unathorised online transactions. This implies that if this incident were to have taken place in the UK, you'll be fully covered and your funds refunded. Of course, if the bank later discovers that you were behind the transactions, you'll be send down at Her Majesty Pleasure! lol.

Best wishes!
[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by blank(f): 4:50pm On Mar 26, 2013
PINRELOAD.COM is an online portal for buying recharge card. The person don use your money well well. Probably Konga was a test run.

First, be careful the kind of sites you use your card on.
Also, GTBank has such issues with cloning of their atm cards. Be careful the location of atms you use.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Illegal Third Party Withdrawal From My Account by blank(f): 4:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
Gennyz: GT Bank is prone to dis attack,i hav heard of cyber attacks y is always GT bnk,pls people beware cos thr use VISA y oda bnks use MASTER card.

They use Mastercard. I prefer my visa card for online transactions cos even if the person has your physical card, the person needs your online password.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Affordable Wrist Watch At Whole Sale Price In Lagos / Get 5 Extra Hours When You Signup on VA Patrick, Nigeria's #1 VA Agency / Abuse The Naira, Go To Jail, CBN Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.