Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,386 members, 7,958,083 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:36 AM

How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. (617 Views)

How Can I Customise Wordpres Megamag Theme To Look Like Naijaloaded Homepage / Which Affiliate Networks To Look Out For When Promoting / Five Things To Look Out For Before You Get Your Free Auto-responder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. by Cool: 10:53am On Mar 27, 2013
Hello.

I need some clarifications about owning a website. Would appreciate all advice.

1. Is it possible to move a website from one hosting service provider to another? If yes, will all functionality be retained? What rights should I ensure that I have when putting the website together?

2. I want to be able to update my website myself i.e. make adjustments or additions to content etc. What should I ask the developer for so that I can have this functionality?

3. Many organisations offer hosting services. I'm sure the quality of service cannot be the same. What are the key attributes to look out for when choosing a hosting site?

Thank you.

Cool
Re: How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 27, 2013
Answer 1....Yes you can transfer from one host to another but your have to unlock your host account with the one you're moving from and yes all functionalities are usually the same on each hosts cPanel.
Answer 2....Ask your developer for a customised Wordpress Design. It's one of the best CMS around and it's easy to use and dynamic.
Answer 3....check for speed, reliability and affordability.
I will recommend www.ListMasta.com
Re: How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. by Cool: 5:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thanks, Brand_new!

How can I check for speed and reliability? Affodability - that, I know how to do wink
When I hear that a website is 'down', I assume it's the host server that is down. How can I check the history of a host server's uptime?

Also, I've frequently heard that the speed at which a webpage downloads is a function of the design. You seem to suggest that the host server also plays a role. Please explain that to me.

Much thanks.
Re: How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. by utimatedes(m): 8:27am On Mar 28, 2013
Cool: Thanks, Brand_new!

How can I check for speed and reliability? Affodability - that, I know how to do wink
When I hear that a website is 'down', I assume it's the host server that is down. How can I check the history of a host server's uptime?

Also, I've frequently heard that the speed at which a webpage downloads is a function of the design. You seem to suggest that the host server also plays a role. Please explain that to me.

Much thanks.
You can check for the speed of any host by doing ping test, please note that some host are reseller and may not provide you with the ping test.

As per the speed of a page, that is the work of your design/developer, if your design optimize your webpages, images and other few things, your website will load much faster.
Some stupid designer will upload image of very large size and decided to use css and html to reduce the size to fix into the layout or box or page. Note that the image will load first in full before the css/html re-size will now applied.

You can do your page speed test using https://developers.google.com/
Re: How To Own A Website: Things To Look Out For. by Cool: 8:56am On Mar 28, 2013
Thanks Utimatedes.

I now have a better idea of what to look out for.

Best regards,

Cool

(1) (Reply)

Seo Services And Seo Web Marketing For Improving Search Engine Rankings / Top 5 Mistakes Most Freelance Website Designer Makeā€¦ And How To Avoid Them / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.