Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,069 members, 7,821,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure (11874 Views)

Medview Passengers Coming Out After Their Plane Made An Emergency Landing / Royal Air Maroc Airways Are Taking Nigerians For Fools And Needs To Be Scrapped / Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 29, 2013
obi4eze:

Sir, the correct word in this context is life not live.

Thank you Mr Perfect sir. Now I can faint.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by bigfat08: 10:19am On Mar 29, 2013
[size=15pt]how old is this aircraft?[/size]
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by victokafor(m): 10:20am On Mar 29, 2013
Thank God is not DARK and DOOMY friday!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD friday for evry1....
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Nobody: 10:42am On Mar 29, 2013
To God be the glory. My father was on that plane. Allah mun gode maka.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Feedmemore(f): 10:44am On Mar 29, 2013
Just hoping this thread won't turn out to be the usual tribal slugfest we are used to see on NL this days.

@topic, thank God for averting what could have been a national and international disaster.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by playcharles(m): 10:44am On Mar 29, 2013
i no blame them, na person were dey alive they exchange hot words
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Nobody: 11:20am On Mar 29, 2013
ROCK-J:
Most foreign airlines send their worst and oldest planes to Nigeria to carry Nigerians. British airways is the most guilty of this terrible act. The aviation people should look into this before a crash happens. This is an eye opener to all.

That's a stupid unsubstantiable claim!
I've flown BA 5times and I can swear that their planes are newer than what Arik parades" plus. 737 800 series is NOT what you will call old.

Get your head out of your ass bro!

2 Likes

Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by ocelot2006(m): 11:33am On Mar 29, 2013
ROCK-J:
Most foreign airlines send their worst and oldest planes to Nigeria to carry Nigerians. British airways is the most guilty of this terrible act. The aviation people should look into this before a crash happens. This is an eye opener to all.

Absolutely false. In this case, the aircraft used was the Boeing 737-800. That, my friend, is a new generation (NG) medium lift aircraft with winglets, totally different from the classics (200, 300) initially used by local airlines.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by chreldb(m): 12:23pm On Mar 29, 2013
Air Maroc is very unreliable. I've used it once and swore never to travel with it again. The plane was old and did not keep to time. It was six hours late.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 29, 2013
ROCK-J:

Lie. BA to naija is definitely not their worst. Talking from experience to other ( western) destinations.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Livinusc(m): 12:55pm On Mar 29, 2013
Burger01:
Yeah, thank God no live was lost and thank God it's not 'Aero Contractor'...sad
Glory be to the Almighty God.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by DrMuzungu(m): 1:18pm On Mar 29, 2013
How old was the plane blah blah blah narrowly escaped death blah blah blah not airworthy blah blah blah...

I would rather put my wife and kids on a German-owned, German-maintained 30 years old aircraft, than on a 1-year old Nigerian owned and Nigerian-maintained aircraft. Now, for someone not to call me a racist:

The problem in Nigeria is not incompetence, but rather extremely poor maintenance culture, and equally extremely high level of corruption. How many times did it happen in Europe or the USA that the captain of the airfract was simply arrested for being drunk? How many times did you hear of some airline or airport official being locked up for a gross misconduct?

Engine failure can be a result of many problems:

-Contaminated fuel
-Bird strike
-Fuel supply system
-Aircraft running out of fuel for any reason
-Fuel leakage
-Failure of internal components of the engine

Engines can also fail due to the design flaws. For instance TACA AIRLINES emergency landing on May 24, 1988:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110

BOTH engines failure was a result of a serious design and testing flaw. And it was less than a year old aircraft. Pilot had only one eye (other one completely damaged in a civil war) and yet, he and a co-pilot managed to safely land a plane without engines on a grass field. No injuries on board, and plane was flyable few days later.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by DrMuzungu(m): 1:20pm On Mar 29, 2013
p.s. The airline that is, in my opinion, providing the worst service in Nigeria is Turkish Airlines. For most of African destinations they send their, as someone said, worst and oldest planes. So if you travel from Ghana, Nigeria or Sudan to some European destination through Istanbul with them... be prepared for everything. And when in Istanbul you board Europe-bound flight, you wonder how come planes on European routes are so much better. But guess what, rules, regulations and laws are a lot more strictly enforced in Europe and you can only dare to do something stupid once... and regret it later.

And another useful resource:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_flights_that_required_gliding

1 Like

Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Johnbullet1976: 3:56pm On Mar 29, 2013
Thank God 4 deir life
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
osaass: Thank God no live was lost.

If it were a local route...A one hour flight should have completed a Lagos-Abuja trip so it will be deemed fit to load another Abuja-lagos bound passengers into the air-molue till it crashes.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 29, 2013
Jadeng: I do know the flight path, but 1 hour is quite a distance for the pilot to have risked returning to the point of take off when an engine fails?

Thank God His Grace and Mercy.

For your mind, the pilot for land for China, Burkina-faso abi inside bush?
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by OmoTier1(m): 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2013
I do not know how best one can educate Nigerians! Engine shut down is not an uncommon occurrence in flight especially on twin or multiple engine aircraft, and as part of the planning by flight operations department of the airline, possible diversion airports are planned as part of a typical flight path planning. In doing so, several issues are taking into consideration, like reserve fuel on board, head wind, availability of Maintenance Repair and Overhaul facilities, availability of spares, easy of spares delivery, accommodation, etc.

The decision to return to base to particular airport is usually communicated to the Pilot by the Chief Control officer in the Control or "Situation" room. Although, a pilot has the discretion to decide otherwise, but His chief flight operations control officer provides Him with the best option having considered several scenarios.

It would be expected that a pilot who left Lagos barely 1hr ago, making an In Flight Turn Back, IFTB, would want to head to Lagos ( if possible) as Lagos is a hub used by over 60 international airlines, hence there is the likelihood that an Alliance member would have spares or technicians on ground that can provide needed help and it would be much easier to find an Aircraft that can ferry your passengers from Lagos to Morocco within hours than say in Ghana or Senegal!

So I really do not see what the loud cries are all about as the Pilot only took precautionary measures by returning back to Lagos. Of course B737-800 could have made that flight with one engine, depending on whether ETOPS is a factor considered ETOPS are considered in a flight path like Lagos to Morocco.

1 Like

Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by DrMuzungu(m): 1:00am On Mar 30, 2013
@Omo_Tier1:

I don't think that many of NL'ers know what ETOPS means smiley

But generally I agree with you 100%. Educate, educate, educate.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by masterpiece123: 4:29am On Mar 30, 2013
My elder sister and husband were among the passengers. Help me thank God Nairalanders.
Re: Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure by Jadeng: 10:38pm On Mar 31, 2013
@Okpara,
1 hour flight time is too risky to manage an aircraft with engine failure.
In such a case the nearest airport or airfield will do.
This is the same mentality drivers like you(that's if you drive) apply and end up killing innocent people.

okpara ugo:

For your mind, the pilot for land for China, Burkina-faso abi inside bush?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Relocated / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport / Uk Student Visa Appeal Or Immediate Reapplication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.