Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1495260 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2016
gloriousfarms:
Evening mentors, please I have a little question concerning buying of Fingerlings, I want to buy 6000pcs of Fingerlings from 3 different places, it is possible for me to combine the fingerlings together? i.e. 3000pcs in pond A and another 3000pcs in pond B.
Note: I read in one of post here that you should not add fish from another farm to you farm.
Thanks, your quick response will be highly appreciated.
you can combine,but not wise to do it immediately.It will help u know who you should not buy from in future. Preferably dont. And why start with 6000 if you can still ask this question?have you weighed all variables,cost of feeding(even now) etc. Dont let any breeder push you down the cliff with sweet words

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sulaiboy20(m): 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
pls add me to fish farmer group.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 6:43pm On Jun 28, 2016
Thanks boss, I notice there are smaller ones amongst them they do take d 3mm like others but not certain abt that, can i sort them out and revisit 2mm most of my fish especially the big ones are around 100g but that's majorly the bigger ones I didn't weigh all I just picked a few randomly and weigh them last weekend
Another question their length and weight do they commensurate because I have some smaller ones with weight equaly compared to a bigger one

Thanks

excelsiorfarm:
i wont condemn or justify your management,neither will i condemn or justify the breeder or his/her fingerlings or juveniles u bought,but let me give u mine observation from d data you gave.If u have a bit experience,using 12litres for each fish,to grow out,your pond will contain 488.If u have only used 37.5kg,if they are all 100g,your fishes haven't done 2 badly.Next time dont be in hurry to skip 2mm(lot for young fishes to gain from that school).Fish farming is beyond releasing & putting water,read the rhythm of your fishes,it differs from batch to batch,place to place
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:13pm On Jun 28, 2016
aoladayo:
Thanks boss, I notice there are smaller ones amongst them they do take d 3mm like others but not certain abt that, can i sort them out and revisit 2mm most of my fish especially the big ones are around 100g but that's majorly the bigger ones I didn't weigh all I just picked a few randomly and weigh them last weekend
Another question their length and weight do they commensurate because I have some smaller ones with weight equaly compared to a bigger one

Thanks

i am not your boss.Sort d smaller ones somewhere,revisit feeding them with 2mm then add aquapro with livestovit to their diet.After 2-3weeks lets get a feedback. Any that refuses 2 show significant improvement,will definitely be a liability.Length is what we call facial or face validity,that one is good for a buyer that wont bother to weigh(mostly big men),but who most farmers deal with are market women,general/average naija,its weight that matters & that is called content validity.Also species differ
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Senator060: 8:15pm On Jun 28, 2016
Good evening. Kindly help a new farmer. My fishes are 1month 19days and I have been feeding them with 2mm Coppens (2bags ) and durante (1bag).

1) Can I start feeding with 3mm (because my

2mm has finished (tonight)?
2) At what month can I change to local feed ( I want to smoke the fishes) ?
3) Plz I need formula for local feed for fingerlings?
4) Can I sort the smaller ones from the bigger ones? I have not done the random weight since am smoking them
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2016
Thank you sir I will do that and get back, though there were some that I had been treating some small ones that I sought for assistance on the thread 2weeks ago, I used salt, tetracycline, livetovit, and even one fish booster, they just didn't change or improve. I'm cutting off attempt on them.
Will sort those ones and resume 2mm for them.
Thanks for the guide... God bless you big

excelsiorfarm:
i am not your boss.Sort d smaller ones somewhere,revisit feeding them with 2mm then add aquapro with livestovit to their diet.After 2-3weeks lets get a feedback. Any that refuses 2 show significant improvement,will definitely be a liability.Length is what we call facial or face validity,that one is good for a buyer that wont bother to weigh(mostly big men),but who most farmers deal with are market women,general/average naija,its weight that matters & that is called content validity.Also species differ
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gloriousfarms: 10:46pm On Jun 28, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
you can combine,but not wise to do it immediately.It will u know who you should not buy from in future. Preferably dont. And why start with 6000 if you can still ask this question?have you weighed all variables,cost of feeding(even now) etc. Dont let any breeder push you down the cliff with sweet words
Thanks for your quick response, I appreciate your advice and I will stick to them.
Higher you in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Georgewealth: 12:41am On Jun 29, 2016
I have something you can use, that is what I use for my fishies, if you stock from post fingerling in 4months time you will get 2kg 1.5kg ,it's increase their oxygen and boost their immune system, reduced the water pollution, call me if you need it, my name is George my phone number 08172582914 my mail georgefabul@gmail.com, you can still whatsapp me 08172582914
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 6:52am On Jun 29, 2016
1kinggy:

Please, how well do fishes do in tarpaulin ponds.
I'm considering buying from benuwatts. Com
sir, sori 4 the late response. Fishes do very wel in a tarpaulin pond if manage very wel, but u hav to get a good plumber to connect mostly d outlet to avoid leakage. That ws d first problem i faced, also its cheaper and moveable compare to other ponds (earthen, concrete). Hope these wil help, Though am jst a beginner... Tnks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gratiaeo(m): 8:54am On Jun 29, 2016
How many fish can this tank below accommodate from fingerlings to maturity. My fish is 1 month and a week from fingerlings presently eating 2mm, when ll i switch to 3mm.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 29, 2016
Georgewealth:
I have something you can use, that is what I use for my fishies, if you stock from post fingerling in 4months time you will get 2kg 1.5kg ,it's increase their oxygen and boost their immune system, reduced the water pollution, call me if you need it, my name is George my phone number 08172582914 my mail georgefabul@gmail.com, you can still whatsapp me 08172582914
I'm sure you've learnt a lot from this forum. Why not try giving back instead of pasting your phone numbers like it's the name of the product to be used. Hoping you don't get me wrong.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Senator060: 10:59am On Jun 29, 2016
Senator060:

Good evening. Kindly help a new farmer. My fishes are 1month 19days and I have been feeding them with 2mm Coppens (2bags ) and durante (1bag).

1) Can I start feeding with 3mm (because my

2mm has finished (tonight)?
2) At what month can I change to local feed ( I want to smoke the fishes) ?
3) Plz I need formula for local feed for fingerlings?
4) Can I sort the smaller ones from the bigger ones? I have not done the random weight since am smoking them
Thanks

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:17am On Jun 29, 2016
gloriousfarms:
Thanks for your quick response, I appreciate your advice and I will stick to them.
Higher you in Jesus name. Amen.
AMEN.THANKS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:28am On Jun 29, 2016
Georgewealth:
post detail/picture. Nothing Hidden, lets evaluate. Even there are some ideas & equipment that is for future ,that some of us know.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 11:31am On Jun 29, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
more than 90% of your fries will be wriggling or dancing at d bottom of d vat( after some good hours,they will begin to move or swim around). That time they are down, i normally use a hose to drain more than 80% of the water(i didnt learn it in a day). use the technique you are use to for this ones. Then i replace with fresh water & still continue flow through or dripping method.
Please help me out ooooo
Just changed d water and cleaned VAT but discovered dat most of d fries r lieing flat on d Ground not dancing Nd wriggling tails
Noticed dat weneva I open d cover Dey will jump up
Still flowing water through
Please shld I open d cover or they r only resting
I am scared
Please som1 shld help me out
Today is Day 3
I wish for urgent reply please
Don't want my fries to die
Is opening or closing d VAT dangerous
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:02pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Please help me out ooooo
Just changed d water and cleaned VAT but discovered dat most of d fries r lieing flat on d Ground not dancing Nd wriggling tails
I am scared
Today is Day 3

As long as they are "jumping up" like you said the fries are OK. At this stage they lay at the bottom of the vat and at the corners. They will start swimming around the 5th or 6th day without hassles.. I know u are nervous but dont be opening the vat every seconds, continue your flow thru and just observe them once in a while. Keep us updated

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2016
Georgewealth:

My Chairman there is nothing hidden under the Sun, kindly post it here let everyone benefit. Cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Please help me out ooooo
I am scared
Today is Day 3

Babe, am happy for you.
Kudos
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:38pm On Jun 29, 2016
aoladayo:
Thank you sir I will do that and get back, though there were some that I had been treating some small ones that I sought for assistance on the thread 2weeks ago, I used salt, tetracycline, livetovit, and even one fish booster, they just didn't change or improve. I'm cutting off attempt on them.
Will sort those ones and resume 2mm for them.
Thanks for the guide... God bless you big

do you know excess salt shrink fishes? only use for sick or v sick fishes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:40pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Please help me out ooooo
I am scared
Today is Day 3
we already discussed on phone
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 6:00pm On Jun 29, 2016
Yes I have read a lot on the benefit and dangers of salt on Catfish management I only used 3spoon of salt in each pond whenever I change water

excelsiorfarm:
do you know excess salt shrink fishes? only use for sick or v sick fishes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:23pm On Jun 29, 2016
aoladayo:
Yes I have read a lot on the benefit and dangers of salt on Catfish management I only used 3spoon of salt in each pond whenever I change water

okay

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 10:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
we already discussed on phone
Thank yu Nd God bless yu real big
They r doing very fine now
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:12am On Jun 30, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:
Thank yu Nd God bless yu real big They r doing very fine now
Thank God Ma
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abefeglobal: 7:49am On Jun 30, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thank God Ma

Thank God i pray mine too work out fine
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 8:04am On Jun 30, 2016
Good morning, my 750 stock will be 3 weeks old on Saturday. They will finish there first bag of aller aqua 2mm feed tomorrow morning. Pls are they eating good? I mean is the one bag they ate in a period of 3 weeks still OK or it small? Thanks. *They are growing good *
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 8:59am On Jun 30, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thank God Ma
Is it advisable for me to be changing the water every morning or I can be skipping a day.
Thanks and good morning
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:29pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Is it advisable for me to be changing the water every morning or I can be skipping a day.
Thanks and good morning
if you have water,why not.Dont allow your outlet to have high pressure,it will only crush your fries to death,though love using the hose technique
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:35pm On Jun 30, 2016
abefeglobal:

Thank God i pray mine too work out fine
Only Believe, all things are possible to they that believe
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Thanks and good morning
It depend on your stocking density. Though of a truth, REGULARLY CHANGE OF WATER IS HYGIENIC TO YOUR FISH HEALTH & GROWTH but I'll advice that if the pond isn't overcrowded, you dnt have to change ur water everyday EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE ACCESS TO WATER because the cost of changing of water will TELL ON YOUR PROFIT at the end of the day unless you are operating a recirculatory system.

Wishing you all the very best!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 10:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

It depend on your stocking density. Though of a truth, REGULARLY CHANGE OF WATER IS HYGIENIC TO YOUR FISH HEALTH & GROWTH but I'll advice that if the pond isn't overcrowded, you dnt have to change ur water everyday EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE ACCESS TO WATER because the cost of changing of water will TELL ON YOUR PROFIT at the end of the day unless you are operating a recirculatory system.

Wishing you all the very best!!!
Thanks for d response
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
if you have water,why not.Dont allow your outlet to have high pressure,it will only crush your fries to death,though love using the hose technique
God bless yu

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.