Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494185 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by msogunro: 3:42pm On Nov 06, 2016
raff007:
@Robonski15 and other Ogas in the house, please help out. Have lost over 100 fishes ; noticed some have white patches on their body, I used OTC, aquacereal yet I will just notice someother one are affected again sad Don't know the next line of action tongue help!!! Dug a borehole of 80m : my water analysis- PH is 7.04 Fe is 4.50mg/l Zn is 0.320 mg/l TDS is 38.5. e sanu aje!!!

White spots? HOPE it's not ICH.

I suggest you remove any fish in your system that has a white spots on them. They will spread the disease and later die.

Put the fish that do not have white spots in a quarantine tank.

Clean the now empty tank with bleach and fresh water. Let the bleach and water solution sit in the tank for 24 hours. After 24 hours, thoroughly rinse the tank with fresh water. Refill the tank with fresh water and place the fish in quarantine that have not developed white spots into the clean tank.

Follow the same process with the quarantine tank.

If you currently have a lot of fish wit white spots, I would not even bother about putting them in quarentine. Just clean the tank and start fresh.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tlontin(m): 4:12pm On Nov 06, 2016
I need a table size catfish weighing up to 1.3 to 1.5kg per one. WhatsApp or call 07063902473
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by iskidet: 9:15pm On Nov 06, 2016
Hello house , please I need clarification on how effective it is to use[b] Broiler Starter[/b] only for local feed for catfish feeding after stopping floater feed.
A friend/ co-farmer told me about it, and I have never use it before, I wish no know if anyone in the house has used Broiler Starter as local feed only.He also said no other ingredient is required to be added to the feed.

House, i will appreciate your humble contribution.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by damilonya(m): 9:34pm On Nov 07, 2016
Good thread here and blessings to all great fish farmers. I am new here and a fish farmer. Pls, add me to the WhatsApp group. Tanx.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:44am On Nov 08, 2016
raff007:
@Robonski15 and other Ogas in the house, please help out. Have lost over 100 fishes ; noticed some have white patches on their body, I used OTC, aquacereal yet I will just notice someother one are affected again sad Don't know the next line of action tongue help!!! Dug a borehole of 80m : my water analysis- PH is 7.04 Fe is 4.50mg/l Zn is 0.320 mg/l TDS is 38.5. e sanu aje!!!

Your fish could have been attached by columnaris bacteria or saprogenia mold. There are lots of confusion because of the similarities that exit between the two. However, columnaris is been agitated by stressor such as lack of particular ion in your water, temperature hike, wound, inbreeding, weak genetic. Because it is an aerobic organism, it thrives in well oxygenated pond and clean water. First remove the stressor that could trigger the outbreak then treat with pottasium permagenate, or with salt.
If it is saprogenia that occur as a result of decomposed feed particles
, improve your water management before commencing treatment.
You can goggle article on columnaries vs saprogenia for comprehensive details
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by estheroye: 2:09pm On Nov 08, 2016
Thanks alot, am a newbie
pumppie:
hello estheroye, so that u don't sell at a loss, pls kindly note that 700g fishes are not melange. Regards

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2016
iskidet:
Hello house , please I need clarification on how effective it is to use[b] Broiler Starter[/b] only for local feed for catfish feeding after stopping floater feed.
A friend/ co-farmer told me about it, and I have never use it before, I wish no know if anyone in the house has used Broiler Starter as local feed only.He also said no other ingredient is required to be added to the feed.
House, i will appreciate your humble contribution.
I have used broiler starter in the past together with other ingredients and it gives good result. Infact i learnt it from our guru Ab1x.
Broiler starter is used as finisher in fish feed and it is majorly made up of FM, SBM, CFM and premix. It is the lazy man's formula because you can actually get those ingredient at your feedmeal at a cheaper price
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by akhis: 8:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
Hello House, pls what could be the cause of some of my fish having injuries on their skills. The fish are about four months old. Pls I will appreciate any advise
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by damilonya(m): 9:22pm On Nov 08, 2016
matrixme:
Good morning all. Are you interesting in starting a fish farm in Abuja (i.e you have a suitable facility)? Do you have an existing fish farm in the city and you want to establish your hatchery or is the high feed cost giving you a challenge and you're interested in local feed formulation?
let's get talking. Thanks
I am in Bwari. and own a fish farm.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 9:25pm On Nov 08, 2016
My location is Anambra State. I need nets that could cover my pond. So that birds cannot be eating my fishes.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 9:40pm On Nov 08, 2016
@raff my brother, my fish are showing similar symptoms.
Tommorow will mark exactly one week since I stocked one half of my tarpaulin pond (7x4x4deep) with 500 juvenile catfish. I noticed that two were eaten at the point of introduction and I discovered no fewer than 12 fish were eaten when I changed the water this evening. Some have bruises and some white patches.
My pond constructor/consultant has not picked my call for the past three days.
I plead with the kind hearted gurus to help a brother.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:37pm On Nov 08, 2016
50Ghreen:
Tommorow will mark exactly one week since I stocked one half of my tarpaulin pond (7x4x4deep) with 500 juvenile catfish. I noticed that two were eaten at the point of introduction and I discovered no fewer than 12 fish were eaten when I changed the water this evening. Some have bruises and some white patches.
maybe your consultant is busy.The issue of your fishes feasting on themselves could b as a result of not feeding well or those fishes had suffered severe starvation 4 some time & are use to eating themselves to live.It could also be space is small or feed not eatten(but you assume they do).If not bruise b4 introduction,they attack eachother,4 white patches?Sick,pollution,stress,change of habitat or contaminated tanks.Solution?if severe,all will have it.text yr consultant
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:53pm On Nov 08, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
maybe your consultant is busy.The issue of your fishes feasting on themselves could b as a result of not feeding well or those fishes had suffered severe starvation 4 some time & are use to eating themselves to live.It could also be space is small or feed not eatten(but you assume they do).If not bruise b4 introduction,they attack eachother,4 white patches?Sick,pollution,stress,change of habitat or contaminated tanks.Solution?if severe,all will have it.text yr consultant
disinfect your tanks,separate those with bruise & patches,watch water quality,feed at good intervals,get any authorise or approve fish antibiotic or buy aquapro.I could had said u stop feeding for a day or two,but if the fishes had suffered due to recession,u could have high case of death,so feed mild. Good clean water will do them alot of good & aid their healing process.Nafdac ban malachite green,chorofeniko(dont mind me,spelling could be incorrect)etc.,all the best.If bruise is much,salt?No
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by msogunro: 11:33pm On Nov 08, 2016
50Ghreen:

Are you adding juveniles to a tank filled with juveniles? Make sure you're properly sizing your fish. Catfish are also omnivores and will eat smaller fish.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 12:58am On Nov 09, 2016
@excelsiofarm, your contribution is greatly valued. You will grow more in wisdom because you have not held back your knowledge.
About the bruises, I barely noticed any at the stage of introduction, which is one week ago. The fish rush their food and finish it within second at first but as soon as they get satiated they start returning to their business of aimless swimming.
My guess about the stocking density would be right after all. I complained about the 500 juvenile being stocked in just one part of the pond while the other part was empty but the man I'v been consulting said we'll sort only after one month.
If the white patches and bruised body and fins are symptoms of infection, what quantity of the aquapro will I use to treat the 500 juvenile fish. Sorry they should be 486 now.
Thanks again,sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 1:03am On Nov 09, 2016
msogunro:

Are you adding juveniles to a tank filled with juveniles? Make sure you're properly sizing your fish. Catfish are also omnivores and will eat smaller fish.

thanks for the question,sir msonguro. I bought 500 juvenile fish and have not added any to that number.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 1:11am On Nov 09, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
disinfect your tanks,separate those with bruise & patches,watch water quality,feed at good intervals,get any authorise or approve fish antibiotic or buy aquapro.I could had said u stop feeding for a day or two,but if the fishes had suffered due to recession,u could have high case of death,so feed mild. Good clean water will do them alot of good & aid their healing process.Nafdac ban malachite green,chorofeniko(dont mind me,spelling could be incorrect)etc.,all the best.If bruise is much,salt?No
Thanks sir. I feed them twice a day (7:30a.m and 3p.m). I dont know if there are better intervals you'd expertly recommend. I hope to visit the vert shop for the antibiotics while I wait for my oga's response. You guys should keep up the good work. Y'all are a blessing to starters like myself.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:32am On Nov 09, 2016
50Ghreen:
@excelsiofarm,your contribution is greatly valued.You will grow more in wisdom because you have not held back your knowledge.
About the bruises,I barely noticed any at the stage of introduction,which is one week ago.The fish rush their food and finish it within second at first but as soon as they get satiated they start returning to their business of aimless swimming.
My guess about the stocking density would be right after all.I complained about the 500 juvenile being stocked in just one part of the pond while the other part was empty but the man I'v been consulting said we'll sort only after one month.
If the white patches and bruised body and fins are symptoms of infection, what quantity of the aquapro will I use to treat the 500 juvenile fish. Sorry they should be 486 now.
Thanks again,sir.
Amen 2 d prayer in Jesus Name.aquapro shld be apply directly & just moderate,naturally your fishes will feed on it.Not correcting yr consultant,but u sort base on growth
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:46am On Nov 09, 2016
50Ghreen:
Thanks sir. I feed them twice a day (7:30a.m and 3p.m). I dont know if there are better intervals you'd expertly recommend. I hope to visit the vert shop for the antibiotics while I wait for my oga's response. You guys should keep up the good work. Y'all are a blessing to starters like myself.
Thank God for the Good Works & Give Him all the Glory.We all started from growing on the shoulders of others too. You could improve their feeding & health by getting livestovit,after the infection had being surpass. Still get in touch with your consultant or even go to him. Every breeder would be interested on the performance of their products. Next time you buy fish seeds,you clean or disinfect their tanks properly,when transporting(make sure they aint stressed,wasn't fed before transporting i.e to keep good body metabolism).if stressed?they are prone to getting disease easily etc. have a bless day sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 10:46am On Nov 09, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thank God for the Good Works & Give Him all the Glory.We all started from growing on the shoulders of others too. You come improve their feeding & health by getting livestovit,after the infection had be surpass. Still get in touch with your consultant or even go to him. Every breeder would be interested on the performance of their products. Next time you buy fish seeds,you clean or disinfect their tanks properly,when transporting(make sure they aint stressed,wasn't fed before transporting i.e to keep good body metabolism).if stressed?they are prone to getting disease easily etc. have a bless day sir.
Gracias, sir. I will do as I'v been directed and feed u back with the possitive results by God's grace. Have a blessed day too,sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by perrol(m): 11:28am On Nov 09, 2016
Am cropping this Friday 1300 pieces fish weight 600/1kg ,serious buyer needed,location Ibadan, call or whatsapp 08036769660
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 4:05pm On Nov 10, 2016
[b][/b]1st month
1mm=50bags.

2nd month
3 & 4mm=50bags.

3rd month
4.5mm & 6mm=50bags.

4th month
9mm=50bags.

Someone gave me this estimate for feeding 5,000 fingerlings to maturity in four months. Your expert advice and estimate will be highly appreciated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kaykaymil(m): 5:04pm On Nov 10, 2016
Go to the closest fish market or ask a consultant I think a roll cost about 5k-6k depends on the quality.

anyiway:
My location is Anambra State. I need nets that could cover my pond. So that birds cannot be eating my fishes.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kaykaymil(m): 5:05pm On Nov 10, 2016
Go to the closest fish market or ask the people selling feeds to direct You to the place in anambra, I think a roll cost like 5k-6k
anyiway:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kaykaymil(m): 5:07pm On Nov 10, 2016
My farm is in Dei dei
damilonya:

I am in Bwari. and own a fish farm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kaykaymil(m): 5:14pm On Nov 10, 2016
You should be feeding them three times a day sir, 7:30AM, 2:00AM, 6PM that is a better timing because at this stage their stomach is small and they get satiated on time and they also burn food faster change to 1:1:1 not Your 1:1:0 this might be what is causing cannibalism.

50Ghreen:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 5:31pm On Nov 10, 2016
Kaykaymil:
You should be feeding them three times a day sir, 7:30AM, 2:00AM, 6PM that is a better timing because at this stage their stomach is small and they get satiated on time and they also burn food faster change to 1:1:1 not Your 1:1:0 this might be what is causing cannibalism.

Thanks a great deal, sir Kaykaymil. I lost three to cannibalism and two died just like this morning.
I'll readjust the feeding schedule while I continue with my Aqua-Dex plus treatment. May you grow more in knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kaykaymil(m): 5:31pm On Nov 10, 2016
This means You would spend over 1.5M feeding this fishes because 200 bags of fish at N6000 = 1,200,000 just feeding minus drugs and other operational cost.
which means each fish would eat 1,200,000/5000= N240 NOTE: we have not included operational cost, salaries, drugs etc

If You look it this figure indept You would find out it is not profitable. But If You use 60 Bags in the first 2 month You can switch to local feeding in the last two months You would not be shaken by market forces.

anyiway:
[b][/b]1st month
1mm=50bags.

2nd month
3 & 4mm=50bags.

3rd month
4.5mm & 6mm=50bags.

4th month
9mm=50bags.

Someone gave me this estimate for feeding 5,000 fingerlings to maturity in four months. Your expert advice and estimate will be highly appreciated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 50Ghreen: 5:40pm On Nov 10, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Evening, sir. I got Aqua-Dex plus from the vet store. The vet doctor instructed me to mix two tablespoons with 1kg of feeds and air dry so I can feed the fish.
The instructions there also says the pond water should be drained to the barest minimum and 100g of the drugs be mixed and left for four hours before topping the water again. The 100g is for 800-1000 fish and mine is just over 450 so will it be right to put 50g,, which is half of 100g?
Kind regards.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kaykaymil(m): 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
They can dig a driainage, I think it is those borehole people that do it they dig a hole straight into the ground sending the water back to the water bed ask the borehole people they would understand.

anyiway:
Hello house. I am a new comet to fish farming. I have already finished constructing 9 concrete ponds. 10ft by 20th each. Recently building a 3 rooms apartment. Two for worker's, one for storage. Please anyone with useful advice on how I could manage water waste should please help me with the information. The pond is located in a residential area with no available drainage.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by shykes05: 6:49pm On Nov 10, 2016
Kaykaymil:
My farm is in Dei dei
My farm is in bwari , fingerling and juveniles are available forsale

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.