Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (518) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1493583 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:31pm On Jul 01, 2022
coputa:
Please,i am about stocking my ponds with 2000 fingerlings,but i am afraid because what people are saying that fish farming is no longer profitable.I know you as an experience fish farmer,please i want to know how many bags of feeds will it take to feed them to table size,probably,5 months,will there be any profit.pls.help me to clear my doubt.
if you don't want to have bp, raise they for two months, smoke and sell. And you can achieve 2 cycles. Spend less on feeding and reduce your risk. Indeed, fish farming is no more cheap, however with more insight, cost can be reduced, however. There is a way around it, but follow the little advice I gave.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by coputa(m): 6:58pm On Jul 01, 2022
excelsiorfarm:
if you don't want to have bp, raise they for two months, smoke and sell. And you can achieve 2 cycles. Spend less on feeding and reduce your risk. Indeed, fish farming is no more cheap, however with more insight, cost can be reduced, however. There is a way around it, but follow the little advice I gave.
I appreciate,i will do as you adviced.Is there market for that size of smoked catfish..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:31am On Jul 02, 2022
coputa:
I appreciate,i will do as you adviced.Is there market for that size of smoked catfish..
There is always market for food, just check your environment to know what they prefer. Also, I will appreciate if you can subscribe to my YouTube channel, it is new and what you will get include videos on academic writing, publishing on KDP, fish breeding with management, poultry, vegetables, and more. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_704NE-z0s?Sub_Confirmation=1
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by letsfarmnigeria: 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2022
From Total loss to Huge profit tis is not story but the reality of a catfish farmer that was on the verge of losing it all and then this
Watch , learn ask questions and don't forget to subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASbgE4gylzs
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:23pm On Jul 03, 2022
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fidel353(m): 2:23pm On Jul 07, 2022
Good day house.
Please how much will it cost me to take care of 1000 fishes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Akposkiz: 8:11pm On Jul 07, 2022
Thanks for the info.how do you prevent feed wastage
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:32am On Jul 08, 2022
Akposkiz:
Thanks for the info.how do you prevent feed wastage
sIMPLY DONT JUST DUMP FEED IN THE PONDS. Don't feed beyond shown satiation or response.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:36am On Jul 08, 2022
Please subscribe to my channel and learn diverse skills that could make you financially able

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0BUVVFdlo
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:38am On Jul 08, 2022
A modern design home re circulatory pond https://youtube.com/shorts/FOxawdxzclU?feature=share
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2022
The shape of your ponds do not necessarily matter, just know what you are doing
https://youtube.com/shorts/saootJM4pdk?feature=share
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:16pm On Jul 09, 2022
The size of your farm is not what matters, but the know how you have to make the little space be mighty in result. 100,000 plus fingerlings from backyard is more than many white collar jobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOwnw4yoGX4
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sapeleboi(m): 1:05am On Jul 16, 2022
thanks op for your great information by god grace am harvesting my fish this September
i really appreciate the energy you put in writing up your story
meci

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:11pm On Jul 18, 2022
Are you from sapele
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 5:51pm On Jul 23, 2022
robonski15:
Are you from sapele

Robonski Baba, longtime sir.

Hope the ministry is flying high.

You ignited the fish farm spirit in me back in 2014 and I'm glad I keyed in.

Bless you

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:00pm On Aug 09, 2022
Still isn't late to get myself here.
My story is horrible, yes horrible. The only little knowledge I acquired was YouTube knowledge. I visits BUK and DAnfodio University fishery departments. I went ahead to stock 20,000 juveniles, and start feeding with 2mm aller aqua feeds. First two weeks I lost more than half of the 20k. I didn't relax I bought another 20k and restock. The second stock I lost around 6000 fish. At that time my fist stock were at post juvenile I started feeding with 3mm, yes aller aqua.
I wake up one day and get a mortalities what remain from the second stock was only 7,800. You knew what, I go ahead and buy 45k fingerlings and 15k juveniles and restock. Still cruising.
I learn a bitter way. Pond preparations is very vital, constant water change is superb. I'm here to learn more. I've about 80k in my stock now.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 5:02pm On Aug 09, 2022
I like to welcome you onboard. Really starting big or small shouldn't be a contention in this industry but like you rightly experienced, a number of things had to be factored in, prior to final decision of either starting big or small.

I'd wish you had identified the cause of your huge mortality and try stocking lesser not minding the capital that has gone into infrastructure as I can see in the image.

Knowledge of the success factor is very KEY in the industry and I want to advise you to reach out to this platform for family support...

Best of luck

AbuMaryam1:
My story is horrible, yes horrible. The only little knowledge I acquired was YouTube knowledge. I visits BUK and DAnfodio University fishery departments. I went ahead to stock 20,000 juveniles, and start feeding with 2mm aller aqua feeds. First two weeks I lost more than half of the 20k. I didn't relax I bought another 20k and restock. The second stock I lost around 6000 fish. At that time my fist stock were at post juvenile I started feeding with 3mm, yes aller aqua.
I wake up one day and get a mortalities what remain from the second stock was only 7,800. You knew what, I go ahead and buy 45k fingerlings and 15k juveniles and restock. Still cruising.
I learn a bitter way. Pond preparations is very vital, constant water change is superb. I'm here to learn more. I've about 80k in my stock now.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 5:37pm On Aug 09, 2022
Fish4wealth:
I like to welcome you onboard. Really starting big or small shouldn't be a contention in this industry but like you rightly experienced, a number of things had to be factored in, prior to final decision of either starting big or small.

I'd wish you had identified the cause of your huge mortality and try stocking lesser not minding the capital that has gone into infrastructure as I can see in the image.

Knowledge of the success factor is very KEY in the industry and I want to advise you to reach out to this platform for family support...

Best of luck

Thanks brother with your candid advise. I'm all out to get knowledge and practicing at same time. I've a big picture in that sector. Thanks and stay blessed

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by funkyjaay: 8:40pm On Aug 09, 2022
Hmmmm.to get a training from u or benin republic.how much will it cost
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 7:30am On Aug 11, 2022
AbuMaryam1:

First, sorry for your avoidable loss.

Secondly, you take 80% blame for your loss.

Let me start from your pond.
Were those ponds fertilized? (I see they are new)
How does the pond outlet look like, what is the size of those ponds.
What is the size of the inlet pipe (e get why)

On stocking, you didn't tell how you stocked your 20k fingerlings. (Stocking density).

Losing half of 20k was much in 2 weeks, how did the mortality happen (gradual or sudden)
Can you attest to feeding them unexplired feed?

What is your water quality (pH), and what is the source

How about the source of your seeds.

There are too many questions to ask so as to help you, but do answer these ones first.

Please other senior colleagues should come to his help too
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:27pm On Aug 11, 2022
excess4luv:

First, sorry for your avoidable loss.

Secondly, you take 80% blame for your loss.

Let me start from your pond.
Were those ponds fertilized? (I see they are new)
How does the pond outlet look like, what is the size of those ponds.
What is the size of the inlet pipe (e get why)

1..The ponds size is L 30.5 ft * W 10.5ft the deep is around 20cm... I'm not sure of the deep size however is around that.

On stocking, you didn't tell how you stocked your 20k fingerlings. (Stocking density).

2. I stocked 10k each pond.

Losing half of 20k was much in 2 weeks, how did the mortality happen (gradual or sudden)
Can you attest to feeding them unexplired feed?

What is your water quality (pH), and what is the source

3. We used pH meter to check the quality of the water at the time of changing the water. The water acidity reads normal.

How about the source of your seeds.

5... I asked a friend who link me with an expert that bought a hybrid fish. Hetero-clarias.

There are too many questions to ask so as to help you, but do answer these ones first.

Please other senior colleagues should come to his help too

From the beginning I've make it clear I started with little knowledge I acquired from YouTube and little visit to some institutions.
I was advised to fertilized the pond using chicken dunk for three weeks. That was how we fertilized it.

I still have some pictures

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hadsty23(m): 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2022
Honestly you get the mind and money.

You can simply start as low as 2000 - 5000 fingerlings.
There's 0.8mm coppens and some lesser feeds depending on the manufacturer to start with.
After which you can change the feed to Aller qua 2mm after 1or 2 weeks.

Just employ someone to monitor and teaches you how to manage a fish farm.

When fish are not dropping, you needed to stopped feeding them

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2022
Hadsty23:
Honestly you get the mind and money.

You can simply start as low as 2000 - 5000 fingerlings.
There's 0.8mm coppens and some lesser feeds depending on the manufacturer to start with.
After which you can change the feed to Aller qua 2mm after 1or 2 weeks.

Just employ someone to monitor and teaches you how to manage a fish farm.

When fish are not dropping, you needed to stopped feeding them

Sir I've done that right now I've two experts in my farm, I'm here to give my story so people would be very determine before they put in their resources. Below is the picture of my fish as at 09/10/2022. I've about 10k to 15 right now . That's the good thing when you stand your feet.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by letsfarmnigeria: 10:36pm On Aug 11, 2022
AbuMaryam1:

Sir I've done that right now I've two experts in my farm, I'm here to give my story so people would be very determine before they put in their resources. Below is the picture of my fish as at 09/10/2022. I've about 10k to 15 right now . That's the good thing when you stand your feet.
How many fishes did you stock per pond and what is the measurement size of each pond , that's the main reason why your fishes are dieing .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:04am On Aug 12, 2022
letsfarmnigeria:

How many fishes did you stock per pond and what is the measurement size of each pond , that's the main reason why your fishes are dieing .

Sir each of my pond can stock up to 20 juveniles at once. Buh I do stocked 10k
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by letsfarmnigeria: 6:22am On Aug 12, 2022
AbuMaryam1:

Sir each of my pond can stock up to 20 juveniles at once. Buh I do stocked 10k

If you want me to tell you the truth there is no concrete pond that can stock 5k at once , if you do that they must be mortality ,fishes need space and if they don't have been space they must be mortality and the main problem us that you will not even know why they are dieing because you will not see anything causing their deaths , even if you apply all medications it will look like it stopped but will surely be dieing

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 6:35am On Aug 12, 2022
letsfarmnigeria:

If you want me to tell you the truth there is no concrete pond that can stock 5k at once , if you do that they must be mortality ,fishes need space and if they don't have been space they must be mortality and the main problem us that you will not even know why they are dieing because you will not see anything causing their deaths , even if you apply all medications it will look like it stopped but will surely be dieing

Sir I have take note of that.....thanks.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 10:00am On Aug 12, 2022
AbuMaryam1:

From the beginning I've make it clear I started with little knowledge I acquired from YouTube and little visit to some institutions.
I was advised to fertilized the pond using chicken dunk for three weeks. That was how we fertilized it.

I still have some pictures

This mortality is fatal.

Remote diagnosis may not be fully surface here.

I will advice you employ the services of an experienced fish farmer to walk you through your first stock.
Again your stocking capacity will have to reduce, your stocking density is also a source of concern. Stampede maybe going on in the water during feeding.

Also, your feed size needs re-examination, I feed 1.5mm for two weeks from stocking (no matter their size when I bought), 2mm for complete one month then I move upwards. The reason is because of the protein content of each size of the feed as required by the fishes for proper growth.

Rushing them to bigger feed sizes leaves alot as runts due to inability to feed.

If possible take things gradual until you are confident.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ComradeShegs(m): 1:36pm On Aug 12, 2022
Greetings everyone. You are welcome to ShegsAgro's Market. We are in Niger State and can easily transport all of your agricultural food supplies to your destination. We deliver across the country.�

Please contact us if you require high-quality agricultural items. We can guarantee you a high-quality, plentiful product. We also never compromise on quality while sourcing things for our numerous web clients.

In addition, we have a WhatsApp and Facebook Market hub where buyers and sellers interact. We give you breaking news about agricultural commodities, as well as the best time to buy for storage and the best time to sell to avoid loss. As a farmer�‍�, you can never go wrong with our advice.

Kindly Join our Social media Platforms so we could connect.

FACEBOOK: https://m./475816610592102/?ref=group_browse

TELEGRAM: https:///+XhtnBBzDfEIzYjJk

WHATSAPP GROUP: https:///CpS6FpLii100RIMVlc2ROS

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://youtube.com/channel/UCV9htYzgHCo7TnYcyaBNg3w

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/ShegsAgro?t=MkEk0Onv9zqqN8Mjma5mOQ&s=09
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hadsty23(m): 9:14pm On Aug 16, 2022
AbuMaryam1:

I can there's no shade or trees nearby your pond.
You can either put zinc roof or plants some trees around
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:19am On Aug 17, 2022
Hadsty23:

I can there's no shade or trees nearby your pond.
You can either put zinc roof or plants some trees around

Ok sir. Seriously there's no shade near us. And the sun is too harsh in dry season.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleyp(m): 11:40am On Sep 03, 2022
Where is your farm? Your location
AbuMaryam1:

(1) (2) (3) ... (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.