Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? (2399 Views)

9 Reasons You Should Stop Biting Your Nails Now / How Can I Stop Biting My Nails / I Keep Biting My Cheeks And They Turn White. So Does My Tongue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Temismith(f): 5:38pm On Mar 30, 2013
Hello fellow nairalanders. Since i was a kid, i have been biting my nails dat dey now look sooo..... U know now! I once tried to stop it by always fixing my nails, but it didnt work cos once d artificial nails are out, i eat d nails again lols. This is somthing i sometimes do unconciously. So please,is dere a way one can stop dis bad habit?
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by DisneyAngel(f): 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2013
Cut them off
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Temismith(f): 6:08pm On Mar 30, 2013
Like seriously? U rre definately joking
DisneyAngel: Cut them off
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by toygod2: 10:34pm On Apr 02, 2013
@OP,u asked 4 advice abi? sombodi don advice u,u say na joke. Now ask urself dis question ARE MY MAD?

My advice na say, make u choose a day and bite evritin finish,when dia is nuttin left 4 u to chew,then u automatically survive d syndrome. Try it ,and thank me later
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Tolexander: 9:54pm On Apr 10, 2013
If you don't wanna bite your nail again, then nail your bite!
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Sissy3(f): 2:01am On Apr 11, 2013
Do you bite them when you are nervous or just bored
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Nobody: 3:03am On Apr 11, 2013
[size=13pt]If painting them or wearing false nails don't work, try rubbing bitter leaf on them.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by omatule2000(m): 5:53am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Tolexander: 5:59am On Apr 11, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]If painting them or wearing false nails don't work, try rubbing bitter leaf on them.[/size]
i have a friend that sucked finger at childhood.
To stop him from the act, bitter leaf was rubbed on the finger. The guy would suck the bitter leaf juice off and it got to a time bitterness of the leaf turned to sweetness to his tastebud.
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 11, 2013
Tolexander: i have a friend that sucked finger at childhood.
To stop him from the act, bitter leaf was rubbed on the finger. The guy would suck the bitter leaf juice off and it got to a time bitterness of the leaf turned to sweetness to his tastebud.

[size=13pt]Wow. Now that's serious.

Sissy asked a good question. For fear of using bitter leaf and enjoying the taste lol, maybe the OP should find reasons or causes to her compulsive nail biting, and then go from there.[/size]

1 Like

Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Osheshe(f): 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2013
I'll say the fear of whitlow is the beginning of wisdom. I used to bite 'and' chew my nails some years back until I woke up one day to see my left index finger swollen like a miniature kpoff kpoff.

Needless to say...my life and nail-biting habit took a turn for good afterwards. There's no sure-fire way to stop nail-biting. Its entirely up to the individual. A colleague of mine asked me to help him stop. When stern looks didn't do the trick, I resorted to swift jabs and kicks. Today, his nails are longer than mine grin

You could also try wrapping each and every one of your finger nail with band aids... cheesy Or give them a long soak in Izal or some equally foul smelling liquid. A testimony awaits you wink
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Acidosis(m): 8:00am On Apr 16, 2013
Apply aloe vera every morning
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Tolexander: 8:03am On Apr 16, 2013
Acidosis: Apply aloe vera every morning
aloe what?
Han han! Haba! The gurl no talk say her finger nail gat 'kro kro' or pimples now!
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Temismith(f): 8:48am On Apr 16, 2013
Tanx a bunch for all your meaningful contributions.
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Temismith(f): 8:49am On Apr 16, 2013
Osheshe: I'll say the fear of whitlow is the beginning of wisdom. I used to bite 'and' chew my nails some years back until I woke up one day to see my left index finger swollen like a miniature kpoff kpoff.

Needless to say...my life and nail-biting habit took a turn for good afterwards. There's no sure-fire way to stop nail-biting. Its entirely up to the individual. A colleague of mine asked me to help him stop. When stern looks didn't do the trick, I resorted to swift jabs and kicks. Today, his nails are longer than mine grin

You could also try wrapping each and every one of your finger nail with band aids... cheesy Or give them a long soak in Izal or some equally foul smelling liquid. A testimony awaits you wink
i have bin on dis habit since my childhood and whitlow has never surfaced. Tanx dou.
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Tolexander: 8:56am On Apr 16, 2013
Temismith: i have bin on dis habit since my childhood and whitlow has never surfaced. Tanx dou.
paronychia knows no age or extent!
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Inik(m): 3:21pm On Apr 17, 2013
I guess you have outgrown the habit now
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by SimplYeahmee(m): 8:27pm On Apr 18, 2013
i wud suggest you wear gloves on your hands continuously cos you said it's an unconscious habit so that at those unconscious moment you can stop urself. i hope you dont bite them while you sleep. use the gloves as a fashion accessory and get many different colors to match ur outfits. i pray you wont get b4 a panel and start biting ur nails.

wear the gloves all day and take 'em off at night to give ur hands some air. make sure you get some airy gloves, after sometime get those open end gloves and see ow u ar all day, if you still bite or not.
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by SimplYeahmee(m): 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
toygod2: @OP,u asked 4 advice abi? sombodi don advice u,u say na joke. Now ask urself dis question ARE MY MAD?

My advice na say, make u choose a day and bite evritin finish,when dia is nuttin left 4 u to chew,then u automatically survive d syndrome. Try it ,and thank me later

a proverb in yoruba says cutting the head off is not the cure for headache
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Temismith(f): 11:47pm On Apr 19, 2013
Inik: I guess you have outgrown the habit now
i wish embarassed
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Bright2(m): 12:36pm On Apr 21, 2013
If your prayer can not move mountain then leave it there. God knows why! undecided
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by Afritop(m): 12:11pm On Sep 21, 2013
Put bitterleaf on your nails. That alone will keep you from biting your nails
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by pdf90(m): 1:41pm On Dec 26, 2013
I just quit a few weeks back . just try and ignore the nails . and consciously avoid hitting them . in a few days you begin to appreciate the way your finger looks
Re: How Can I Stop Biting My Nails? by mcocolok(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
TB JOSHUA...WISE MAN DANIEL

(1) (Reply)

Meet The 27yr Old Girl Who Held A Goodbye Party For Her Breasts. / Bauchi Discharges 9 COVID-19 Patients, Records 2 Deaths / COVID-19 Update For October 26 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.