Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,038 members, 7,821,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. (8806 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 / Ford Maintenance In Nigeria: How Easy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by laidback(m): 2:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
Armaniswiz: @OP thanks for the post..wld be nice if you can mention some of the products that falls in d 8% rightly rated oil category and the 3 outlets where one can get em. My car is due for oil change n I currently use mobile 1 but i doubt it's d best oil around. Thanks

I'm surprised the OP said there are only 3 brands of Oil that are of high quality. I also use only Mobil One and my vehicle is due for oil change. Can the OP please post the said high quality brands of engine oil available
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by aieromon(m): 3:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
With one post, the OP has succeeded in bringing down the sledgehammer on engine oils available in Nigeria. I await his evidence to substantiate these claims.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by joephemzyz(m): 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Make we kukuma begin service motor with palm oil

weeeeeeeeeereeeey osi lipsrsealed
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by lasaki: 4:36pm On Apr 02, 2013
Good one bro
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by edoyad(m): 4:45pm On Apr 02, 2013
The OP has a point no matter how harsh he may have sounded. Why is it almost impossible to get 5W30 Engine oil type in Nigeria? The mechanics assume all cars on Nigerian roads must be serviced with 20w50 type Oil for some strange reason. This is in-spite of the fact that many Japanese cars are designed to run on the 5w30 range type.

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by kegel(m): 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2013
This is highly educative and informative. We await the OP's next post.
We must be careful and objective though, less the OP is fronting for certain engine oil.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nicepoker(m): 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2013
Use mobil 1 or mobil xhp
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 02, 2013
jhydebaba: I don't have a vehicle cry cry

Thank God.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Fajzay: 1:16am On Apr 03, 2013
chatterly: Absolutely agree with his post,my 07 camry engine just gave up last week here in Lagos(long story),i service my car @ a reputable toyota workshop every 5000 miles but was told the issue had to do with unrated engine oil.I have now bought a replacement engine ,the mechanics opened up the top of the old engine and it was all clogged up with dark oil.I have been advised to use only Mobil one going forward and reduce service intervals to 3000 miles.

You don't have to use Mobil 1 oil for ur 07 camry, check the manual for your car and you will see the grade of oil Toyota recommended for that type of vehicle and change the oil and filter every 5000miles / 3 months (whichever comes first). I use Mobil 1 oil for my Mercedez S-class cos thats what the manual calls for but I don't Mobil 1 for my Acura MDX and TL I use Tola 20W50 or so and Mobil 10W30 respectively as against the 5W20 recommended in the manual and this is due to the advance mileage the car has accumulated over time. Mobil 1 is 9K as against 3K for these other grades. Save urself some money without actually endangering ur ride.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Fajzay: 1:17am On Apr 03, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Make we kukuma begin service motor with palm oil

U're craz*y. Thats funny
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Fajzay: 1:23am On Apr 03, 2013
edoyad: The OP has a point no matter how harsh he may have sounded. Why is it almost impossible to get 5W30 Engine oil type in Nigeria? The mechanics assume all cars on Nigerian roads must be serviced with 20w50 type Oil for some strange reason. This is in-spite of the fact that many Japanese cars are designed to run on the 5w30 range type.

If your car has accumulated over 120K miles, its advisable to use a higher grade like say 10W30 for better engine efficiency.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Marpol: 3:13am On Apr 03, 2013
Fajzay:

If your car has accumulated over 120K miles, its advisable to use a higher grade like say 10W30 for better engine efficiency.

I am yet to see 10W30 oil in Nigeria!
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Fajzay: 3:18am On Apr 04, 2013
Marpol:

I am yet to see 10W30 oil in Nigeria!

That might be correct. I don't know if we've got that in Nigeria though. Was advised in Dec by the Autozone tech to use that grade due to the mileage so I bought some with some other car accessories and shipped it

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by cardoctor(m): 5:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
Is it only engine oils? What about brake fluids that damage your brake hydraulic componets in a flash?

Automatic transmission fluids that knock up your transmission leaving youwith an expensive tranny change.

Brake pads that wear down in under 5000 kilometers.

Tyres that blow out sending you into the bush.

Recycled parts and components that have long gone past their useability.

Headlamp bulbs that blow as soon as they are switched on.

Spark plugs that Don't spark.

The list goes on. God help us.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by bravolad(m): 10:35pm On Jul 13, 2013
Billyonaire:

There is one advise for vehicle owners: Take your vehicles to only the brand service centers, it doesnt really cost much. Fullstop!

You may be shocked to learn that even the brand service centers such as (Elizade) you talked about use Mobil xhp 20w 50 for all vehicles that are brought into their workshop. I used to service my Camry there until one day I was forced to asked them what oil rating they use. Of course, they refused to tell me but I probed further, to my greatest astonishment, they were using 20w 50 drum oil.

From that day onwards, I decided to always buy my oil and filter. For those, who resort to thick oil ratings (as against the manufacturer's recommended viscosity) because of high mileage, I don't understand why they do that. At least, my vehicle manual does not say at a certain mileage, I should change my engine oil rating.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by guscorado: 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2013
Eterna plc. is a wholly indigenous company who is an affiliate of BP Castrol, we are sole distributors of Castrol automotive lubricant ranges such as: * Castrol Edge SAE 5W-40,API SN/CF ACEA A3/A4(which is a full synthetic SAE Engine oil for performance vehicles in both petrol and diesel engines), * Castrol Magnatec 10W-40,API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4(clings to the engine like a magnet providing an extra layer of protection ready to protect from moment you turn on the key),* Castrol GTX SAE 20W-50(Anti sludge)API SL(Superior protection against sludge build up and extended engine life), * Castrol GTX SAE 20W-50(High Mileage)API SL/CF(High performance multigrade engine oil developed for older engines as well as vehicles covering longer distances),* Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40,APICH-4/SJ(Helps prevent oil from thickening and keeps it flowing freely, it also has superior cleaning power to maintain engine performance and outstanding diesel engine wear protection),we are willing to bring these trusted engine oil to those that needs it. we deliver direct 2 your location or workshop, Contact Godson Onyekperem on 08034820992 or godson.onyekperem@eternaplc.com for your Castrol lubricants at best prices and quality...tanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Brake Fail? / How To Verify Your Driver’s Licence Online / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.