Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method (8826 Views)

4 Typical Signs Of A Defective AC Compressor In Your Car / Signs Of A Defective Oxygen Sensor In Your Car / 5 Signs Of A Defective Spark Plug In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Godspower35(m): 2:11am On Mar 13, 2019
The part of the vehicle called "radiator cover" contains 2 valves. Its purpose is to store the coolant and ensure that the radiator system remains under pressure. The inside of the cooler contains 16 pounds of pressure per square inch. This pressure is controlled by the radiator cap and must remain constant. Otherwise, your car could overheat and the radiator could suffer serious damage. You will find more information on the radiator cap below.

Signs of a defective radiator cap

Some signs will tell you if your radiator cap is broken. Here are the top 5 signs.

Leaking coolant

If the radiator cap is stuck, no liquid can be released. This creates pressure in the radiator, causing the hose to leak or break. If you notice coolant near the radiator or its cap, the coolant flows clearly. Check if the radiator has holes or if the plug is worn or damaged. If so, replace the cap.

Overflowing tank

Coolant enters the tank as it expands. The radiator cap is released by the pressure and the coolant is directed into the overflow tank. If the radiator cap is broken, the coolant will be released too quickly and the boat will overflow.

The radiator pipe collapses

The radiator cap may be defective if the radiator hose collapses. The radiator cap does not release the vacuum properly and the radiator pipe collapses during the cooling phase. If this happens, check the cap for damage. If so, replace it immediately.

Air in the cooling system

If the radiator cap does not close properly, air will enter the refrigeration system. Air pockets enter the radiator, thermostat and radiator. As a result, the engine overheats because it can not withstand a constant temperature.

Overheated engine

Leakage of coolant or air in the cooling system may cause the engine to overheat. If you notice that your engine is heating up too much, do not look under the hood unless you have turned off the engine. This allows the engine to stay cool during the check. If there is coolant near the radiator cap, the pressure cap may be damaged. Check this and replace it if necessary.

Inspect the radiator cap

If you have a radiator pressure tester, you can check the radiator cap yourself. Start by opening the hood and locate the radiator. It should be located directly in front of the vehicle engine. Now, remove the radiator cap by pushing it in and then turning it counterclockwise. Take the plug adapter and screw it to the end of the pressure tester. Keep turning until you can not screw it. If you do not know what the cap adapter looks like, check the label on the pressure tester package and see if it is displayed on it. You can as well do a research work on the Internet. After attaching the plug adapter to the pressure tester, remove the radiator cap and screw it to the other end of the tester until it is securely in place.
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/03/5-symptoms-of-defective-radiator-cap.html
[img]https://3.bp..com/-1OS1EuMjdq0/XIhUf50pxHI/AAAAAAAACKE/mMoxLbo0NiU3eFoHbu5hmobzkArRjs9WACLcBGAs/s320/radiator%2Bcap.jpg[/img]

3 Likes

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by tobechi20(m): 2:51am On Mar 13, 2019
Be careful when opening it, the hot water can burn uoooo

4 Likes

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by filleSouriante(f): 11:06am On Mar 13, 2019
The guy above me stole my FTC undecided
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by ogawisdom(m): 11:08am On Mar 13, 2019
As a precaution change every year it's inexpensive

2 Likes

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by pautex: 11:15am On Mar 13, 2019
OP take your time this morning oo. Man dey think of where to get food from this morning u dey talk about defective radiator part no be who get the money dey buy motor take your time oo

5 Likes

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by coolestchris(m): 11:16am On Mar 13, 2019
Wetin concern me, if I service my car periodically I should be good
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by honyham: 11:17am On Mar 13, 2019
God bless u for write up am battling with the issue of radiator in my car
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by hotel2018: 11:32am On Mar 13, 2019
thanks for the info smiley
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by MicroBox: 11:39am On Mar 13, 2019
This info is truly helpful. Was working on 27KVA Mikano and each time the hose will collapse/compress . Never thought it could be the radiator cover. I was advice to cut iron pipe and put into the hose which I actually did thinking maybe the hose is weak.
Thanks for the info anyway.
Lastly people should be careful with car mechanic that are always fond of saying "e no mean, oyinbo just put it there" everything have reasons why they are in-cooperated into any design.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by speaker2018: 11:41am On Mar 13, 2019
THIS IS THE SME BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION STARTER PACK FOR YOUR BUSINESS BRAND NEED IN 2019!

Your SME business is all about the customer as customers are the LIFELINE of any business!

These days, a good quality website is essential for the success of most businesses. It's your online store front. But that doesn't mean it needs to cost as much as a store or office!

Get a web presence that wins new customers. Websites that look great and put you in control

If you are a SME business owner that truly want online platform that not only better propel your business brand but also put you in control, this incredible offer is for you

WHAT YOU GET IN THIS SME BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION STARTER PACK

- BEAUTIFUL WEBSITE AESTHETIC AND FUNCTIONALITIES
- BUSINESS ID CARD DESIGN
- BUSINESS BRAND LOGO DESIGN ( A MUST FOR YOUR BUSINESS)
- BUSINESS CARD DESIGN
- LETTER HEAD DESIGN
- 2 OR 6 PAGES BROCHURE DESIGN
------------------------------------------------------
- SSL Certificate Installed for FREE
- 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Hosting Space and Bandwidth)
- Free Domain for 1 Year
- SEO Implementation with Google Analytics & Google Console for Good online Ranking
- Comes developed with VERY GOOD Website Speed!
- LIVE CHAT enabled on your website
- Up to 10 or more official email addresses FREE
- Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
- Contact/enquiry form
- Google map integration
- Social media integration
- Basic Website Maintenance for 2 Months for FREE...YES! For Absolutely FREE!

ALL THESE PLUS MORE FOR JUST N50,000 FROM THE CUSTOMER CENTRIC ICT COMPANY THAT HAS IMPLEMENTED WEB/MOBILE APP SOLUTIONS FOR SATISFIED CLIENTS ACROSS NIGERIA, UK, USA, CANADA AND IN AFRICA. WE ARE the HOLY GRAIL of website design and development when it comes to SMEs that are starting out (and of course for far complex web projects). Once you can dream it, WE WILL ACTUALISE IT FOR YOU - GUANRANTEED!

CONTACTS AND WEBSITE ON BANNERS! LIMITED TIME OFFER!!

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by people2018: 11:47am On Mar 13, 2019
[b]THIS IS THE SME BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION STARTER PACK FOR YOUR BUSINESS BRAND NEED IN 2019!

[/b]Your SME business is all about the customer as customers are the LIFELINE of any business!

These days, a good quality website is essential for the success of most businesses. It's your online store front. But that doesn't mean it needs to cost as much as a store or office!

Get a web presence that wins new customers. Websites that look great and put you in control

If you are a SME business owner that truly want online platform that not only better propel your business brand but also put you in control, this incredible offer is for you

WHAT YOU GET IN THIS SME BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION STARTER PACK

- BEAUTIFUL WEBSITE AESTHETIC AND FUNCTIONALITIES
- BUSINESS ID CARD DESIGN
- BUSINESS BRAND LOGO DESIGN ( A MUST FOR YOUR BUSINESS)
- BUSINESS CARD DESIGN
- LETTER HEAD DESIGN
- 2 OR 6 PAGES BROCHURE DESIGN
- SSL Certificate Installed for FREE
- 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Hosting Space and Bandwidth)
- Free Domain for 1 Year
- SEO Implementation with Google Analytics & Google Console for Good online Ranking
- Comes developed with VERY GOOD Website Speed!
- LIVE CHAT enabled on your website
- Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
- Contact/enquiry form
- Google map integration

ALL THESE PLUS MORE FOR JUST N50,000 FROM THE CUSTOMER CENTRIC ICT COMPANY THAT HAS IMPLEMENTED WEB/MOBILE APP SOLUTIONS FOR SATISFIED CLIENTS ACROSS NIGERIA, UK, USA, CANADA AND IN AFRICA. WE ARE the HOLY GRAIL of website design and development when it comes to SMEs that are starting out (and of course for far complex web projects). Once you can dream it, WE WILL ACTUALISE IT FOR YOU - GUANRANTEED!

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by wizkidblogger(f): 11:55am On Mar 13, 2019
nice info. I need new cover oo
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Godspower35(m): 11:57am On Mar 13, 2019
U can contact me through my site
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Godspower35(m): 11:57am On Mar 13, 2019
Contact me through my site
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by cipup23: 12:28pm On Mar 13, 2019
cheesy
no b who done chop belleful go get time for thsi 1?

READY TO MAKE MASSIVE SALES THIS YEAR? GET THIS UNBEATABLE E COMMERCE WEBSITE DESIGN WE GUANRANTEE THAT YOU CAN’T GET SAME VALUE ANYWHERE ELSE!

When customers are deciding on a purchase, they start by looking online.

Your E COMMERCE website is your showroom, where customers can research your product and see all the reasons it is right for them.

Now imagine that same product was just a couple of clicks away from being theirs. A well designed E COMMERCE site can influence purchase decisions by showcasing your product at its best, and making it as easy as pie to take action and make a purchase.

That is why your E COMMERCE Website development can’t afford to be handled by Web Quacks

WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR E COMMERCE WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT WITH US

- BEAUTIFUL WEBSITE AESTHETIC AND FUNCTIONALITIES – THAT CAN COMPETE WITH TOP SITES
- BUSINESS BRAND LOGO DESIGN (A MUST FOR YOUR BUSINESS)
- UP TO 5 BANNER DESIGNS FOR YOUR ONLINE MARKETING ADS FOR FREE
- PAYMENT GATEWAY INTEGRATION
- LIVE CHAT (make it easy to connect with customers enquiries on the go)
- FREE TRAINING ON HOW TO UPLOAD, EDIT AND REMOVE PRODUCT IMAGES OR PRICES FREE
- Secured Certificate Installed for FREE
- 1 year US based Hosting (comes with unlimited Hosting Space and Bandwidth)
- Free Domain for 1 Year
- Comes with GOOD Website loading Speed!
- Websites comes with ALWAYS availability. NO DOWNTIME!
- Contact and enquiry form
- Google map integration

ALL THESE PLUS MORE FOR JUST N45,000 FROM THE ICT COMPANY THAT HAS IMPLEMENTED WEB AND MOBILE APP SOLUTIONS FOR SATISFIED CLIENTS ACROSS NIGERIA, UK, USA, CANADA AND IN AFRICA. WE ARE the HOLY GRAIL of website design and development when it comes to SMEs that are starting out (and of course for far complex web projects). Once you can dream it, WE WILL ACTUALISE IT FOR YOU - GUARANTEED!

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Burgerlomo: 12:38pm On Mar 13, 2019
tobechi20:
Be careful when opening it, the hot water can burn uoooo

Yah head correct jawe, I don't know the reasons why the OP didn't mention that fatal warning cool
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by maxiuc(m): 12:51pm On Mar 13, 2019
Pls

Help me oooooooooo

My Lexus is overheating very fast it warms up Very fast especially when the AC is on the overheating becomes worst secondly it dries up water and coolants pls what could be the fault I have changed the Radiator and taken it for different assessment yet it continues

The model is es330 2005
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 13, 2019
love the design used on vw and audi cars, hardly leaks, cap is made of plastic, so you dont worry about burning your fingers.
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Godspower35(m): 1:40pm On Mar 13, 2019
maxiuc:
Get my contact from my website,check my signature
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Godspower35(m): 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2019
wizkidblogger:
Get my contact from my website,check my signature
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by paix(m): 3:18pm On Mar 13, 2019
pautex:
OP take your time this morning oo. Man dey think of where to get food from this morning u dey talk about defective radiator part no be who get the money dey buy motor take your time oo
Don't worry my dear. God is in control. You shall eat to your full and car you shall own, by God's grace.
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by Chuks9000: 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2019
Thank you
Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by ikdaddy01(m): 6:40pm On Mar 13, 2019
Travelling from SE to North Central I woke up by 4am and did final check on my machine. Then started the journey.
All was going well. I was happy. No shaking. Overtaking anyhow. I need to reach b4 ××pm.
Half way, after After Nsukka and Orukam I noticed the acceleration was dragging. To climb hill na wahalla. At kick down I would hear cranking noise like its coming from the chain or ka ka ka ka ka ka as if i was using wrong gear to climb hill or overtake. I reduced tempo.
My mind went to oil leakage or something. I checked all lamps and indicators, they were looking well. I stopped to accelerate to check if the oil indicator will blink (For lack of oil) ...nothing.
I kept moving. I had the mind to check hood in the "NEXT" filling station. As i reach i will pass. Thats how i kept passing every station planning to stop at the next one...just to keep moving. Time no deh.
Low and behold my temp gauge just climb viaaaaa....to 120. My mind cut. Top cylinder ooooohhh. Engine block oooh.
At 120km/h I switched off the car making sure to stop at the key 1st step (before the steering lock). As the engine went off I switched the key back to ON So the fans will keep blowing while the engine is off and incase I need to apply emergency brake.
I was still wondering what could be the fault in this my zero fault car.
Long story short, as I opened the bonnet......CHAIIIII
The radiatorI cap was just lying near the plastic fiber. I DIDN'T FIX IT BACK when i was checking the car in the moring.
All the water Don do voom viam from the radiator.
30 minutes was taken from my time looking for pure water and waiting for the engine to cool.
The rest is now lesson.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Symptoms Of A Defective Radiator Cap And The Best Test Method by connkg(m): 11:18pm On Mar 13, 2019
@ikdaddy01 Great lesson. Little things.

I have learnt to stop at the next convenient place after driving in the rain, coming back to Lagos from a wedding at Ogbomoso. Visibility got so poor that I kept switching cars to lead me. I didn't stop, just kept wondering why my lights were that bad...
That's until I was washing the car after Sunday Service the following day. The headlamps had a nice coat of dirt! Just one wet swipe and I wished I had come down to inspect in the rain. I'd have banged the car a lot less!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Car Should A Young Man Get? / Queries About Tinted Car Windows / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Doctors:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.