Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,488 members, 7,826,841 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 (12796 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by AutoQuint: 10:07am On May 31, 2013
THERE ARE MORE TO ENGINE OIL THAN SAE 20W-50

I will like to state that engine oil is what kept the vehicle power house moving. It is also certain that an obsolete oil or an under rated oil will kill the engine very fast and reduce performance to wasteful level.
It is actual but unbelievable that 92% of the engine oil that are available in Nigeria are either under rated for the engines or the engine oil are absolutely obsolete/fake and sold at the same rate as imported engine oils that carries good rating and more in litre.
Most people always think that the quality of engine oil is determined by viscosity (SAE 40, SAE 20W-50, SAE 90 etc.) No, there are actually three issues to the use of Engine Oil in Nigeria.
1. Our Temperature,
2. The Manufacturers Recommendations and
3. The Viscosity of the Oil to be used.
While we cannot do anything to our weather of immediate temperatures, we can at least save the engines by using the recommended rating of oil and the right viscosity of oil.
The viscosity makes sure that the engine oil doesn’t thin-out during long engine operations and the rating is a recommendation by the manufacturers that enable the oil to carry out the functions of engine oil perfectly well on their engines. That means different recommendations.

On our temperature, for the past four years our ambient temperature is increasing in Nigeria. The so call 20W-50, multigrade oil with operating ambient temperature of maximum 35°C is getting not suitable for Nigeria use. For instance Lagos that normally has a temperature range of 24°C in the mornings, 36°C in the afternoons and between 25°C - 28°C now has 36°C in the mornings, up to 44°C in the afternoon and 28°C in the evenings. The multigrade 20W-50 is for environment of 35°C, Lagos is recording up to up till 45°C and North averages 47°C. The ultimate is to have SAE50 monograde oil viscosity that can cover up to 45°C ambient temperature. The question is do we have monograde of SAE 50? I am not sure. That goes for the Temperature and Viscosity.

THE MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATION – Every vehicle that leaves the assembly line carries the latest rate in oil potency. That means, the factory usually use the new registered oil ratings for testing the engines and therefore the vehicle during servicing should use the same or oil that is given a higher rating and not the oil rated engine oils. In November 2012, I reiterated that vehicles that came into Nigeria from October 2010 till November 2012 has no engine oil to service them. It was a big comment; the entire conference room was thrown into panicking. But I have spoken the truth. While the World was testing engines with API-SN,

Nigeria has only 3 producers with a current rated oil of API-SM, whereas API-SM is an undergrade to API-SN. As at November 2012 we were not current in terms of engine oil in circulation. Of course, that is not the danger. The main issue is that, apart from rated current oil which is API-SM, Nigeria has 95% fake and obsolete engine oil in circulation. There is only one company that is up to date in engine oil production and it also has obsolete rated oil in the market. I know people may likely ask which oil then should we use.

I recommend for now in the absence oil with viscosity of SAE 50, we can use the popular SAE20W-50 (It is inferior to our temperature) and in terms of potency to work or international recommendation, API-SM but API-SN is the most current and the best. Other superior engine oil is the ACEA-3 in this rating ACEA-4 is the best and the ILSAC -4.
Any oil you find with different rating is fake, obsolete or under-rated.

Imagine buying a bullet prove vehicle of over 60,000,000 Naira and only to be maintained with underrated engine oil, obsolete brake fluid and very fake ATF. I leave you to think. I will move to the dangers in Nigeria brake fluid in my next highlight.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 11:27am On May 31, 2013
smiley smiley Nice thread. Subscribing to it.

@Topic,

Good, engine oil is a critical factor of car maintenance and engine long-life. I have a couple of questions:

1.Can you expand more on the use of synthetic and petroluem based engine oils ? Am an ardent user of Mobil 1 products and most automotive users agree on the superior qualities that synthetics have over crude based oils.

2.Secondly, the use of oil filters. Does the use of extended performance filters help make engine oil last longer and cleaner ?

3.Which is better for a car engine ? Higher viscosity or lower viscosity ?

4.Honda & Toyota are the most widely used brand of cars in Nigeria in my opinion, what engine oil rating do you think applies to them for use in Nigeria ?

Thanks !!!

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ikenna351(m): 12:15pm On May 31, 2013
Op,

I disagreed with some of your positions. I donot understand what you mean by 92% of engine oil in Nigeria are underrated or fake.

I dont know the brands of cars you used as yardstick for your analysis, but i do know that TOTAL have various engine oils grade recommended by Peugeot for all their cars, ranging from Mineral, semi-synthetic & fully synthetic oil grades. The only 3 missing are 10W 40, 5W 30 & 0W 40. But for modern or newer petrol Peugeot engines, they recommended 15W 50 (semi-synthetic) & 5W 40 (fully synthetic), which are very much available in TOTAL outlets: Quartz 7000 & Quartz 9000. TOTAL also has a special oil for SUVs & Trucks known as 15W 50 4x4 (semi-synthetic). Or are you saying TOTAL engine oils in Nigeria are low quality? I have been using TOTAL since i started handling my dads car back in the days till i started owning mine, i never had engine failure. I can vouch for TOTAL engine oil for Peugeot engines.

Funny enough, about an hour ago, i bought 5W 40 & 15W 50. The 5W 40 is for my ES9J4S, while the 15W 50 is for my ZN3J. I plan to change the 2 cars oil tomorrow, being Saturday.

Probably, you meant Japanese cars or other brands of cars recommended engine oil are not available in Nigeria or the ones available are fake. But genuine manufacturer recommended engine oil grades for Lions are very much available.

My position.

Ikenna
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2013
@topic,

Nice points by Ikenna351. For Nigeria, the most popular brand names i am aware of for engine oils are Mobil, Total, Oando, AP. Thanks to Ikenna351 for listing some of the Total Engine Oil brands here. Will look for and add for the other brands. So, what are we now saying ? Do they manufacture fake engine oils ? Are their engine oils not rated for current engine types in production ? Waiting for more information.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 12:53pm On May 31, 2013
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 31, 2013
There are far more worthy non Dino oils than Mobil 1, perhaps it's a Nigerian thing. I consider Mobil 1 inferior to many other commercially available oils.

On Dino vs Syn oil, what does the manufacturer of your car recommends? Putting M1 in a Honda Civic is a wasteful and fruitless effort, thus use the oil that is recommended.

Additionally, the most important thing to do is regular oil changes with clean oil from a reputable source as well as a good filter.

Does Nigeria have recycling centers for used oil or how do you folks dispose off your used oil?

I completely salute to those that service their own cars.

PS: For the discerning motorists may I suggest trying Royal Purple? Bonus if you have a personal dyno so you can measure the gain, if any.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 4:20pm On May 31, 2013
@somorin,

The range of engine oils commercially available in the Nigerian market is limited, which is why i mentioned the major brand names earlier. Mobil is currently regarded as the best. Though as you mentioned earlier, to each his preference and engine manufacturer requirement. On the use of synthetics, i am all for it. If it gives me enhanced performance and longer engine life, does it matter the type of car i put it in if its rated for it ? Will appreciate it if you can respond to my earlier raised questions. Thanks.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 4:21pm On May 31, 2013
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 2:41am On Jun 01, 2013
samir101ng: smiley smiley Nice thread. Subscribing to it.

@Topic,

Good, engine oil is a critical factor of car maintenance and engine long-life. I have a couple of questions:

1.Can you expand more on the use of synthetic and petroluem based engine oils ? Am an ardent user of Mobil 1 products and most automotive users agree on the superior qualities that synthetics have over crude based oils.

[I'll disagree with you on that but you did say most. None of my inner circle of car Guys waste synthetic oil on mundane engines that are not built to appreciate it. A good quality dino oil coupled with a quality filter and when chagned regularly will offer the same protection, in my opinion.]

2.Secondly, the use of oil filters. Does the use of extended performance filters help make engine oil last longer and cleaner ?

[This is personal opinion and not based on any scientific test other than me cutting open Mobil1 filters at 3,000, 5,000 and 7,000 miles.

Based on that personal test on my 04 Discovery, I am confident in going to 7,500 miles but I will always chicken out and replace at most at 5,000 since it is cheap insurance.]

3.Which is better for a car engine ? Higher viscosity or lower viscosity ?

[The best oil is what the car manufacturer recommends for the engine tolerances and of course the weather condition that it will operate in.

As an example I use lower visc oil in winter and higher visc in summer. I follow the range of chart provided in the owners manual.]

4.Honda & Toyota are the most widely used brand of cars in Nigeria in my opinion, what engine oil rating do you think applies to them for use in Nigeria ?

[I cannot speak in confidence yet about Nigeria but what I did was include boxes of 10W40 and 20W50 as well as factory oil filters inside the truck I just shipped.]

Thanks !!!

Answers inside the thread.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 2:43am On Jun 01, 2013
samir101ng: @somorin,

The range of engine oils commercially available in the Nigerian market is limited, which is why i mentioned the major brand names earlier. Mobil is currently regarded as the best. Though as you mentioned earlier, to each his preference and engine manufacturer requirement. On the use of synthetics, i am all for it. If it gives me enhanced performance and longer engine life, does it matter the type of car i put it in if its rated for it ? Will appreciate it if you can respond to my earlier raised questions. Thanks.

Gotcha and thanks for enlightening me about what is available on the ground.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by JUO(m): 11:16am On Jun 01, 2013
Putting M1 in a Honda Civic is a wasteful and fruitless effort
YOU LIE FOR THERE, THERE ARE FAKE, I HAVE BOUGHT ONE FROM ROAD SIDE

Does Nigeria have recycling centers for used oil or how do you folks dispose off your used oil?
THE MECHANIC HAS A DRUM OR GALLON WHERE ALL THE DEAD OIL ARE POURED, AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY SELL THE DEAD/CONDEMN OIL, OIL FILTER AND GALLON ( THE ONE CHANGE)TO A DEALER WHO USE THEM TO PRODUCE FAKE. ANY PARTS I CHANGE IN MY CAR MOST GO HOME WITH ME, ALTHOUGH THEY MAY NOT BE USEFUL BUT I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO BE A VICTIM

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by AutoQuint: 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ikenna351: Op,

I disagreed with some of your positions. I donot understand what you mean by 92% of engine oil in Nigeria are underrated or fake.

I dont know the brands of cars you used as yardstick for your analysis, but i do know that TOTAL have various engine oils grade recommended by Peugeot for all their cars, ranging from Mineral, semi-synthetic & fully synthetic oil grades. The only 3 missing are 10W 40, 5W 30 & 0W 40. But for modern or newer petrol Peugeot engines, they recommended 15W 50 (semi-synthetic) & 5W 40 (fully synthetic), which are very much available in TOTAL outlets: Quartz 7000 & Quartz 9000. TOTAL also has a special oil for SUVs & Trucks known as 15W 50 4x4 (semi-synthetic). Or are you saying TOTAL engine oils in Nigeria are low quality? I have been using TOTAL since i started handling my dads car back in the days till i started owning mine, i never had engine failure. I can vouch for TOTAL engine oil for Peugeot engines.

Funny enough, about an hour ago, i bought 5W 40 & 15W 50. The 5W 40 is for my ES9J4S, while the 15W 50 is for my ZN3J. I plan to change the 2 cars oil tomorrow, being Saturday.

Probably, you meant Japanese cars or other brands of cars recommended engine oil are not available in Nigeria or the ones available are fake. But genuine manufacturer recommended engine oil grades for Lions are very much available.

My position.

Ikenna

I have taken pains to attach a pdf elaboration. please read carefully and pass round perhaps this is the time to correct this anomalies. I am suppose to be working with NAC (National Automotive Council)but, for their bureaucracy I don't think I am cut for inactive exercises. We can do it, pass information out let people know the odds. i bet you don't know a fink about the ATF, Gear Oil, Brake fluid etc. Nigeria is in trouble with these stuffs. Enjoy the pdf write up and pass it round. May be sometime, we may be able to organize a live forum and I will shock everybody.

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by AutoQuint: 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
Somorin#1:

I have taken pains to attach a pdf elaboration. please read carefully and pass round perhaps this is the time to correct this anomalies. I am suppose to be working with NAC (National Automotive Council)but, for their bureaucracy I don't think I am cut for inactive exercises. We can do it, pass information out let people know the odds. i bet you don't know a fink about the ATF, Gear Oil, Brake fluid etc. Nigeria is in trouble with these stuffs. Enjoy the pdf write up and pass it round. May be sometime, we may be able to organize a live forum and I will shock everybody.

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by cretin: 1:28pm On Jun 01, 2013
Most cars especially japanese require 0 w 30...n such oil isn't available in nigeria the closest is mobil 1 0w 40.thus thats y I use it .6months or 5k change interval.though I do 4_5 months n 4k+ change interval.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by AutoQuint: 1:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
[quote author=AutoQuint][/quote]
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by AutoQuint: 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2013
Somorin#1:

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by AutoQuint: 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2013
Somorin#1:

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ikenna351(m): 5:00pm On Jun 01, 2013
AutoQuint:

It appears you are new in Car Talk, otherwise you should have known that not all active members in car Talk that one can decieve with journalist crap.

Your PDF write up is full of false information. I dont even know where to start. If i were you, i would remove or modify it before anyother member reads it. So you are telling me that Lagos is hotter than Abuja, abi? Oh I forgot, Lagos state has a boundary with Desert.

By the way, i hope your intention for creating this thread is not to market your business/service?

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by kuntash: 5:52pm On Jun 01, 2013
nice topic for awareness,

the reason synthetic engine oils are often recommended by auto makers are quite obvious, synthetic oils stands out at either high or low temperatures, synthetic motor oils have a higher viscosity index over the traditional petroleum base.

even as engine runs at extreme temperatures and usage, synthetic oils still maintain a longer oil change intervals..

in the long run saving u money ... e.g, buying one or two oil filters annually is better that buying up to 5 or 6 filters for mineral oil change.

for experience of synthetic oil at very affordable rates and best of quality... go here-

https://www.nairaland.com/993349/synthetic-lubrication-oil-engine
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by kuntash: 6:05pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ikenna351:

It appears you are new in Car Talk, otherwise you should have known that not all active members in car Talk that one can decieve with journalist crap.

Your PDF write up is full of false information. I dont even know where to start. If i were you, i would remove or modify it before another member reads it. So you are telling me that Lagos is hotter than Abuja, abi? Oh I forgot, Lagos state has a boundary with Desert.

By the way, i hope your intention for creating this thread is not to market your business/service?

Ikenna.

Hello Ikenna, even though some statements in the post might appear outrageous or hyped, the message is quite clear, and aside the biz intent which u smell, its a valid topic worth discussing on car talk,

many car owners need to be aware of the kinda oils they require for their ride .. and this is an avenue to share the ideas,

for example, I was in search of a quality and affordable engine oil for my car sometime last yr, and bumped on many choices and contrasting with our local Mobil-1 Sold here, I found out after using the foreign Mobil-1, other foreign brands of synthetic oils and the mobil-1 sold here, Bro indeed there was much difference, I didnt notice much difference performance-wise using local Mobil-1 with their XHP, and Ondo, Fortoil, Conoil, Total Mineral oils of 20w-50.

But after trying out some others... the diff was clear..

so bro, lets discuss it and refer marketing to another thread..

cheers
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 8:03pm On Jun 01, 2013
[s]There was previous indication from autoquint about being into oil sales[/s], so exaggeration of temperature as a factor.
The important thing here is at the normal running temp, there is good flow of oil.

Considering the tolerance in engines of newer cars like Camry recommend 5w20 which is semi-synthetic.Only in Nigeria will someone spend huge amount of cash for a new car and then put 20w50 in there because his high school mechanic says that is all that is what it uses but the manual say 5w20.

No matter the opinion of any expert on this forum,it is safe to go with factory spec.

Oils are made from base oils which most use, but the difference will be in detergents which keeps dirts suspended.

Some of the oils made in Nigeria are not meant for today's application, there is no regulation in that sector and the fact that mechanics suddenly have to deal with OBD computerized means those oil companies with their 70's refinery are behind in time.
The whole country getting restricted to PAN are their old technology meant Nigeria missed 2 decades of tech changes and throwing money at things won't solve it.

Consider how many places you know in Lagos and Abuja where they can rebuild a 2000's engine,transmission,transfer case, or differential.We have not even gotten to hybrids yet, but the market is filled with all these systems.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 01, 2013
"For details of obsolete oil write to autoclinicservices@gmail.com we do not sell oil, we are purely automotive consultants.

OP did say he does not sell oil though.

Just wanted to point out that the gasoline also seems to kill the cat and o2. Have others also found this to be true?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 8:57pm On Jun 01, 2013
Somorin#1:
"For details of obsolete oil write to autoclinicservices@gmail.com we do not sell oil, we are purely automotive consultants.

OP did say he does not sell oil though.

Just wanted to point out that the gasoline also seems to kill the cat and o2. Have others also found this to be true?

Deeply sorry for my assumptions, just not used to Nigerians giving free advice without a catch, at least to direct users to a good source of lubricants.

It also seems like most problems start after the first service.

If I have a chance right now I will be selling oils, I see no reason for most of the problems by users on this site but purely ignorance by treating a 2008 Camry like my daddy's 230E or uncle's 504
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Ikenna351(m): 11:42pm On Jun 01, 2013
I would advice everyone to stick to instructions or recommendations on owners manual.

Op,

You said using 5W40 & 15W50 in Nigeria is wrong. Unfortunately, you are wrong. You dont generalise what is good for all engines in different brands of cars. Let me tell you what Peugeot says about all their petrol engines in 406 owners manual:

TEMPERATURE: CELSIUS

1. 20W-50: -7(cold) & +50(Hot)
2. 15W-50: -15(cold) & +50(Hot)
3. 10W-40: -20(Cold) & +50(Hot)
4. 5W-40: -30(cold) & +50(Hot)
5. 5W-30: -30(cold) & +50(Hot)
6. 0W-40: -35(cold) & +50(Hot).

What above table means is: for a place with cold temperature as cold as -7 degree celsius and hot temperature as hot as 50 degree celsius can safely use Quartz 5000: 20W 50. Likewise, a place/country cold temp -15 C & hot temp of +50 C, can safely use Quartz 7000 semi-synthetic: 15W 50, etc.

Now, you were saying in your write up that we should be using SAE 50 - SAE 60 oil? On which car or engine?

Note that Peugeot recommends the above oil grades in their Petrol and Diesel engines used in 406, 407, 607, 807,etc (1999 - 2010): EW, HDI & ES series. Funny enough, an EW motor is also one of the engines in the newly lauched 408. Are you now saying you know better than the manufacturers of these engines that recommends the use of these oils in their engines? Even in 406 owners manual, Peugeot stated that 15W 50 is to be used in their workshop at service or oil change, for all the listed engines found in Peugeot cars right till their newest car in the market.

The other day, i went to a Peugeot Dealership, ASD Motors, here in Abuja. While in their show room, I saw their Servicing Schedule. It stated in the schedule:

1. Change of engine oil (for Peugeots): 15W 50
2. Cost of Labour: N1,800.00 per hour.
3, Etc.

Op, the same reason you are giving about temperature and need to use the oil grades you mentioned, is the same reason Nigerians give why Cooling System Thermostat should be removed. Why do Nigerians think that Nigeria is the hottest part of the Earth?

Manufacturers know the type of oil that will be good for their engines, to make them last longer. That 20W-50 (Quartz 5000) or 15W-50 (Quartz 7000) doesnt work well in Toyota or Honda doesnt mean they are bad oil. Beacause they were produced to work well for some engines, which some engine manufacturers may have considered while designing their engines.

I have been using Quartz 5000 (20W-50, Mineral oil) in my ZN3J, since i bought her. Not even for once did I experience oil sludge. Yet, i changed the oil every 6 months. While some people have complained that 20W 50 Mineral oil have caused sludge in their Toyota engines, even when they change their oils every 3 months. On 02/10/2012, i changed my ZN3J engine oil with 20W 50 Quartz 5000. The next time i changed it was this morning. How many months? 8 Months. This was the first time i delayed in changing the oil, once it clocks 6 months. Guess how the oil looked like when it flowed out? It was almost looking the same way (except the colour though) the same day i poured it in on that 02/10/2012. It was as if i have not driven the car more than a week since the last change, yet i have done some trips with the car since that october last year. Though i switched to 15W 50 (Quartz 7000, semi-synthetic) today, simply to elongate the oil change interval.

The truth is, TOTAL designs their engine oil to run well in Peugeot engines, while Peugeot designs their engines to run well/better with TOTAL oils. Probably i may get oil sludge if i switch to Mobil or other brand, irrespective of the oil grade.

To everyone, find genuine oil that is good for your engine, one recommended by the engine/car manufacturer. The only way to do that is to stick to engine oil grade(s) recommended in the owners manual.

Ikenna.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 1:10pm On Jun 03, 2013
I second that opinion too on using a grade of oil as specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Here's where my head keeps turning. You buy a vehicle imported from America (Honda Accord 07) to Nigeria. Honda specified an engine oil of 5W-20. Where i am currently based (Yola, Adamawa State) it is perpetually almost hot all year round. Average temps reach as high as 48' Degrees. Now the 07 Honda Accord has a 4cyl. 2.4Liter VTEC Naturally Aspirated engine. Can you still use the same engine oil as rated by the manufacturer considering the harsh environment your in ?
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 04, 2013
samir101ng: I second that opinion too on using a grade of oil as specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Here's where my head keeps turning. You buy a vehicle imported from America (Honda Accord 07) to Nigeria. Honda specified an engine oil of 5W-20. Where i am currently based (Yola, Adamawa State) it is perpetually almost hot all year round. Average temps reach as high as 48' Degrees. Now the 07 Honda Accord has a 4cyl. 2.4Liter VTEC Naturally Aspirated engine. Can you still use the same engine oil as rated by the manufacturer considering the harsh environment your in ?

Yes you can.

Open the owners manual and look at the range of temperature and recommendations for appropriate oil viscosity.

Nigeria is not Mars. Temperatures in parts of Nigeria are similar to parts of the US.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 6:31am On Jun 04, 2013
Here is a whole website and forum dedicated to oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by samir101ng(m): 8:41am On Jun 04, 2013
@Somorin#1,

Thanks !!! I have gone through the site, very good information there. Now, that we have covered that aspect does the use of a 5w-30 engine oil have any drastic effect on the engine when you don't have access to a recommended 5w-20 engine oil ? Am trying to look at alternatives that one can safely use in the absence of another.

Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 04, 2013
IMHO you can and I would. The difference in viscosity is slight and only at the hot end of the spectrum.

So both oils will protect at the bottom range but the W30 will continue to function suitably at a higher end.

What I wouldn't do, as an example is use say 20W50, the 20 being the culprit. Most of these newer cars are designed with such tight tolerances in the engine design that you need a free flowing oil at startup.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by sultaan(m): 1:22am On Jun 05, 2013
Somorin#1:
IMHO you can and I would. The difference in viscosity is slight and only at the hot end of the spectrum.

So both oils will protect at the bottom range but the W30 will continue to function suitably at a higher end.

What I wouldn't do, as an example is use say 20W50, the 20 being the culprit. Most of these newer cars are designed with such tight tolerances in the engine design that you need a free flowing oil at startup.

Based on tolerance of newer cars its better to use oils with low weight so there is good flow at start up and consistency of 20/30 weight at operating temp.

Doing 6000 rpm with a 50w at operating temp will mess up seals
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by Nobody: 3:18am On Jun 05, 2013
sultaan:

Based on tolerance of newer cars its better to use oils with low weight so there is good flow at start up and consistency of 20/30 weight at operating temp.

Doing 6000 rpm with a 50w at operating temp will mess up seals

If you read my writings again you will notice that I did not advocate using 50W oil when it's not recommended.

I in fact have stated ad nauseum that manufacturers recommendations should be followed.
Re: Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 by fokusy: 11:59am On Jun 05, 2013
[quote author=Somorin#1]

Yes you can.

Open the owners manual and look at the range of temperature and recommendations for appropriate oil viscosity.

Nigeria is not Mars. Temperatures in parts of Nigeria are similar to parts of the US.[/quo

I second that, parts of texas and arizona in the US are much hotter than Nigeria and for all intents they stick with the manufacturers recommended oil viscosity over there.

Indeed it is tough to find 5W20 and 5W30 in from the popular petrol stations. There is however an company called Autoselect in Lagos where I get these viscosity of engine oils which they import from the US. Their prices are even better than the buying from the petrol station. I can never toy with these adulterated engine oil they sell in petrol stations all over the place. The engine of my newly imported 2008 Honda Accord almost knocked cos of fake oil. Here's the link to their website to see their products. Ikenna, i believe they also have a branch in Abuja.

http://www.autoselectcorp.com/CoastalLubricants.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Driving With Or Without Shoes / "For Sale" Sign On Moving Vehicles Illegal - FCT VIO / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.