Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy (2792 Views)

Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? / Please Translate This Sentence To Pidgin / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by geesmiley(m): 11:12am On Apr 02, 2008
ma pipo for yonda, i greet una o. A beg una help me translate 'one in all' for pigdin language or waffy. Or all my waffy bros do zapo for here. I hail una o
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by drrionelli(m): 11:46am On Apr 06, 2008
OK, this is where I get to learn something new!

I've been on this site for some time and this is the first time I've encountered the term "Waffy." Pidgin? I'm familiar with that one (though I neither read nor write it), but "Waffy" is totally new to me.

Please enlighten.
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by drrionelli(m): 5:36pm On Apr 08, 2008
Hi, it's just me, again.

I really don't mean to be pestiferous, but I was wondering if somebody could explain "Waffy" to me (as it's used in the original post).

Thanks!
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by justbones(m): 5:49pm On Apr 08, 2008
guy i no think say you go get am even if i try teach you
na because u dey sound like oyinbo
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by justbones(m): 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2008
shey u sabi talk pidgin
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by justbones(m): 5:52pm On Apr 08, 2008
wetin pestiferous mean?
shey you dey talk say u no wan be pest?
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by drrionelli(m): 12:25am On Apr 09, 2008
Hi, justbones!

The reason I made the post is because I don't know what the word "Waffy" means.  I was hoping that somebody would explain it to me.  I'd really appreciate it.

As to the word "pestiferous"?  What I mean is that I don't want to be a pest.  In other words, I don't want to annoy anybody.  I just want to know what "Waffy" means.

Do you know?  Can you (and would you) tell me?  I don't know how to talk (or write) Pidgin, either, but I'm trying to learn (with the help of some very nice people here on nairaland.com).

Oyinbo? I have been told that this is a Yoruba word.
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by bawomolo(m): 6:22pm On Apr 09, 2008
oyinbo is a yoruba word for whites
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by TheSly: 6:30pm On Apr 09, 2008
------------> drrionelli
Its not waffy. . . its WAFFI and they are the warri people from delta state in Nigeria. . . .
Its like a small town in warri!

So what u Wanna know about 'em waffi people? Lemme know!!! cool
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by drrionelli(m): 8:43pm On Apr 09, 2008
@Sly:
It seems I encounter you everywhere here on nairaland.com! I wish to express my appreciation and gratitude to your for clearing up the matter at hand! grin

As you see, the original poster used the spelling "Waffy" which led to my assumption that such was the correct spelling. I assume that Waffi is yet another Nigerian language that I can only hope to get a grasp on, eventually.

As to the people and their language, I have no specific questions. Please, feel free to tell me anything you wish for me to know about them! I assure you I will appreciate the knowledge!

@bawomolo:
Thank you, as well, for the information! Is the word, indeed, Yoruba? I've been told that it does, as you say, literally mean "white man," but is also used in a somewhat disparaging way to suggest the use of large, impressive-sounding words. True? By the way, I've also seen it spelled "oyibo." Is this a typographical error, or just an alternate spelling?
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by bawomolo(m): 2:56pm On Apr 10, 2008
someone speaking oyinbo means someone speaking english or could be a sarcastic comment about a person trying to be all phonetic. there are varying spellings for the word probably due to differences to dialect.
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by PastorAIO: 6:14pm On Apr 10, 2008
Even in original english 'one in all' doesn't make sense. In what context is this phrase found?

Waffi is the pidgin spoken by people from Warri. To make a parallel to european english Waffi is to pidgin as Queen's english is to Cockney. Or maybe the other way round. Waffi is high culture, pidgin is vulgar.

I've got a feeling some would disagree with me here.
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by TheSly: 9:53pm On Apr 10, 2008
Waffi is the pidgin spoken by people from Warri.
Nope!! don't get it twisted!
So how would you classify someone as ''A waffi guy''? a pidgin guy?
Waffi are people from warri. . .pidgin is not waffi!. . . .
One thing about them is that the way they command the pidgin language is superb!

@Sly:
It seems I encounter you everywhere here on nairaland.com! I wish to express my appreciation and gratitude to your for clearing up the matter at hand!
You are welcome bro! grin cheesy
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by PastorAIO: 2:48pm On Apr 11, 2008
®~^Sly^~®:

Nope!! don't get it twisted!
So how would you classify someone as ''A waffi guy''? a pidgin guy?
Waffi are people from warri. . .pidgin is not waffi!

My apologies.
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by TheSly: 3:34pm On Apr 11, 2008
It is just an argument. . . no offence intended cool cool cool
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by Geolalisa(f): 12:58pm On Jul 04, 2008
Abeg, lets get back to the main post. all this una talk talk is trying to make this interesting trend slip by.
@poster

to translate "one in all" for pidgin abi?
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ohhhhh i don forget!
make i think am again, i dey come
Re: Translate To Pidgin Or Waffy by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 05, 2008
waffi people are people from warri, delta state.
waffi (or waffi pidgin) is quite different. they speak it like they are speaking their local language. They also use words which normal pidgin speakers don't use.
comedians like "I go die" and "I go save" speak waffi pidgin.

(1) (Reply)

The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods / Some Yoruba Proverb Part 1 / Moving Mountains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.