Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,252 members, 7,815,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? (1465 Views)

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? / Say Good Morning In Your Language / Can You Translate These English Words To Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 9:37pm On Mar 22, 2016
I speak two Nigerian Languages and I have found d's too hard to solve. kindly help if u can.
translate this to your Language.

"I want to collect my change"

1 Like

Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by Meeloreh(f): 11:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
Mo fe gba shenji mi. Shenji = change (oro afetiya)
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 11:13pm On Mar 22, 2016
Meeloreh:
Mo fe gba shenji mi. Shenji = change (oro afetiya)
Dat "afetiya" is the real issue. I am not even sure "change" as it is used in dat sentence is correct English.

My niece brought the question and I don't know what to say. I always pride myself as a language expert, I don meet my match.
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by scholes0(m): 11:06am On Mar 23, 2016
Mo fe gba Iyoku Owo mi ....

SImple.
Many expressions in English are infact not factually collect, because when you buy something, you aren't collecting a "change" but the rest of your money. When you infact do a real changing of Merchandise, in Yoruba , it is called "Iparo"

1 Like

Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by Phut(f): 11:16am On Mar 23, 2016
A choro'm inara ufo ego'm

1 Like

Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 11:50am On Mar 23, 2016
scholes0:
Mo fe gba Iyoku Owo mi ....

SImple.
Many expressions in English are infact not factually collect, because when you buy something, you aren't collecting a "change" but the rest of your money. When you infact do a real changing of Merchandise, in Yoruba , it is called "Iparo"

Thanks so much. This sounds so reasonable.
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 11:54am On Mar 23, 2016
Phut:
A choro'm inara ufo ego'm

I want to assume this is Igbo. Forgive me, but I only speak Hausa and Yoruba, so i cant say I understand i bit of what you have said. Thanks for your time (and mb).
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by bokohalal(m): 1:44pm On Mar 23, 2016
angelawoko:

I want to assume this is Igbo. Forgive me, but I only speak Hausa and Yoruba, so i cant say I understand i bit of what you have said. Thanks for your time (and mb).
You asked for language. You did not specifically say "Yoruba language." The commentator that you had replied to was right to translate it into Igbo or any other language on earth, not only Nigerian.
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 2:23pm On Mar 23, 2016
bokohalal:

You asked for language. You did not specifically say "Yoruba language." The commentator that you had replied to was right to translate it into Igbo or any other language on earth, not only Nigerian.

I am not arguing otherwise, only admitting my ignorance.
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:41am On Mar 24, 2016
Acho m inata uma m - Igbo.

The contentious word here seems to be "change". You could easily translate this into your language if you can recall whatever word your language uses for "remainder". "Uma" is the Igbo equivalent for "change" (when counting), and is used to indicate remainder values. I would like to believe that Hausa and Yoruba would have something similar.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 7:15am On Mar 24, 2016
ChinenyeN:
Acho m inata uma m - Igbo.

The contentious word here seems to be "change". You could easily translate this into your language if you can recall whatever word your language uses for "remainder". "Uma" is the Igbo equivalent for "change" (when counting), and is used to indicate remainder values. I would like to believe that Hausa and Yoruba would have something similar.

Yes they do have. However it is not clear if the word "change" as we use it in the sentence is correct. is "change" and "remainder" synonymous?
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by toyinakomolafe(m): 7:52am On Mar 24, 2016
The correct expression is "I want to collect my balance" (I stand corrected though) and the Yoruba translation will be " Mo gbe gba Iyoku owo mi" and Ekiti dialect will be Mo gbe gba ayoku egho mi"
angelawoko:

Dat "afetiya" is the real issue. I am not even sure "change" as it is used in dat sentence is correct English.

My niece brought the question and I don't know what to say. I always pride myself as a language expert, I don meet my match.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by scholes0(m): 11:03am On Mar 24, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
The correct expression is "I want to collect my balance" (I stand corrected though) and the Yoruba translation will be " Mo gbe gba Iyoku owo mi" and Ekiti dialect will be Mo gbe gba ayoku egho mi"

Exactly.

angelawoko:

Yes they do have. However it is not clear if the word "change" as we use it in the sentence is correct. is "change" and "remainder" synonymous?

^^ See above.
That expression "collect my change" is wrong usage of English.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:53pm On Mar 24, 2016
angelawoko:

With respect to counting, they would be synonymous. It's simply that English uses two different words, because of the different contexts (change is associated with money, while remainder is associated with arithmetic, though both result in same thing). However, reading toyinakomolafe's post, it seems the consensus is moving toward "balance" as the more appropriate term. I don't know if I agree with that. Collecting change and collecting balances are two different activities. Both "I want to collect my change" and "I want to collect my balance" would be legitimate statements. Context will determine which of the two are more appropriate at the time.
Re: Kindly Translate To Your Language. :-? by angelawoko(m): 7:11pm On Mar 24, 2016
ChinenyeN:

With respect to counting, they would be synonymous. It's simply that English uses two different words, because of the different contexts (change is associated with money, while remainder is associated with arithmetic, though both result in same thing). However, reading toyinakomolafe's post, it seems the consensus is moving toward "balance" as the more appropriate term. I don't know if I agree with that. Collecting change and collecting balances are two different activities. Both "I want to collect my change" and "I want to collect my balance" would be legitimate statements. Context will determine which of the two are more appropriate at the time.

Now I am becoming confused again o. But I do see the logic in ur argument. My interest is in educating myself and must say I am gaining more information. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

An Indian Tribe That Breastfeed Animals Like Their Own Babies / The Unusual Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia / The Lost History.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.