Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Jesus And Mary - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus And Mary (2470 Views)

gunners / Was There A Relationship Between Jesus And Mary Magdalene? / Jesus And Mary Picture/photo Are They From The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 9:01am On Apr 02, 2013
we all know that Jesus made so many claims one of which is 'No one cometh to the father except by me", he is the messiah bla bla bla. and instructed on somany things.

Now can anyone give me reference where Mary or the saints asked us to pray to them or to honour her.

the reason i asked this is because people may just be doing thing they think is right as concerning Mary but never come to the shocking revelation that Mary never asked or directed them to do so.

so why do something when you ve not bin asked to do such. the one you were asked to do you ve not finished doing it.

back to my question.
were we directed to honour Mary, pray to her for assitance or intercession,make images of her bla bla bla. references from the bible or quran will be apreciated. thank u

keyword: directed, instructed
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 02, 2013
No way! We were never instructed to pray to her! She's not our intercessor! The DEAD can't intercede for the living + the bible never tells us so! Mary was jst a favored woman nothing more!
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 02, 2013
carr96: The DEAD can't intercede for the living

the above statement makes religion irrelevant, all the figures/characters worshiped in religion are apparently dead.
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 02, 2013
991:

the above statement makes religion irrelevant, all the figures/characters worshiped in religion are apparently dead.

Are u a christian? I believe not! So eventually u don't knw wot I'm talking about!

P.S-Jesus is alive!
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 9:46am On Apr 02, 2013
991:

lol, God is not dead, angels r not dead
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 10:29am On Apr 02, 2013
carr96:

Are u a christian? I believe not! So eventually u don't knw wot I'm talking about!

P.S-Jesus is alive!

if you think you know more about religion than non religious people, then think again.
you won't think i knew not what u re talking about if i told you i was an ex-christian, would you?
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 02, 2013
deSika:
lol, God is not dead, angels r not dead

believe me dude, i know a lot more about god(s) and angels more than you think.
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 02, 2013
@OP- when i first read the topic, i knew it was Anti-Catholicism. nevertheless, i recommend you study more/ do more researches on religions and their origins before condemning one particular dogma by one particular denomination.
am not a believer of religion(s) but at least catholic as a denomination has its history dated back from time immemorial, even the founder of your current church is aware of that. the fact that your current church was founded by a nigerian man and his wife makes no room for blasphemy on Holy Roman Catholic Church. The problem is that religion has never been the same since Men has made it to depend on their own charisma.
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 1:58pm On Apr 02, 2013
991:

believe me dude, i know a lot more about god(s) and angels more than you think.
dats gud to know, hope u dnt mind lecturing us
991: @OP- when i first read the topic, i knew it was Anti-Catholicism. nevertheless, i recommend you study more/ do more researches on religions and their origins before condemning one particular dogma by one particular denomination.
am not a believer of religion(s) but at least catholic as a denomination has its history dated back from time immemorial, even the founder of your current church is aware of that. the fact that your current church was founded by a nigerian man and his wife makes no room for blasphemy on Holy Roman Catholic Church. The problem is that religion has never been the same since Men has made it to depend on their own charisma.
is this an answer or an advice. am looking for answers.
wt do yu say abt d op

by d way can yu point out to me the condemnation u discovered in the post. thank u
Re: Jesus And Mary by engrtee(f): 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
THE DAY UNA STOP MEETING UNA PASTOR TO PRAY FOR UNA , NA DAT TIME WE GO STOP TO DEY PRAY THROUGH MARY.mtchew

1 Like

Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
Where in the bible did Jesus ask Adeboye or Oyedepo to pray for anybody? Jesus is the way,truth and life and nobody comes to the father except through him so Adeboye,Oyedepo e.t.c should desist from praying for their faithfuls
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 02, 2013
Where in the bible did Jesus ask Adeboye or Oyedepo to pray for anybody? Jesus is the way,truth and life and nobody comes to the father except through him so Adeboye,Oyedepo e.t.c should desist from praying for their faithfuls

Furthermore Jesus is the only high priest of the NT hence people should stop collecting tithes since Tithes is only made for Jesus
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 02, 2013
deSika: wt do yu say abt d op

I've nothing to say about the OP,

"The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my profession."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
Furthermore where in the bible did God ask catholics to compile the bible and why are protestestants using the bible compiled by catholics whoose compilation order is not in the bible

1 Like

Re: Jesus And Mary by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 02, 2013
Where in the bible did God ask Oyedepo,Oyakhilome e.t.c to form churches
Re: Jesus And Mary by jimino(m): 12:33am On Apr 03, 2013
Pls my pentecostal brodas nd sistas, hv u eva read dis portion of d bible. Luke 1 : 48. For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generation shall call me blessed. John 19 : 26 - 27.
26: when Jesus therefore saw His mother and d disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, woman behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to d disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour dat disciple took her unto his own home.

In d gospel of luke 1: 48, Mary herself propheci dat all generatn shal call me blessed. Catholics r leaving up 2 dat prophecy. Dnt allow satan 2 use u 2 stop dis prophecy

In d gospel of John 19: 26- 27, at d foot of cross, and one of d last statement Jesus made b4 he died was 2 give is mother 2 d disciple John as his Mother and John 2 his mother as her son. At dis point Jesus gave mary 2 b d mother of all and we shld b her children. If Jesus christ himself gave his mother 2 us, who r u nt 2 hounor even afta d forth commadment intrust us 2 hounor our father nd mother.

Read ur bible nd ask God 4 d spirit of undastnding.
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 3:31am On Apr 03, 2013
is that it. answering questions with questions
when yu face a question (a question on the basic tenets of your religion)like this that yu find yurself not being able to ansa. then it seems truth is staring at ur face but u r chosing to ignore it

first questions are asked because we seek ANSWERS
possible answers could be
1. i dont know (no idea)
2. i know (the answer is ......)
ok lets make a deal, lets answer this question and then we can answer ur own questions about Oyedepo and co. do u agree.

you guys have "falled" my hands o
this is jst a simple jamb question that requires an answer.
anyway forgive me the "asker" for not giving options
pls choose one of the following options
a. Mary did not direct us to pray to her (We are just doing ova sabi)
b. Mary asked us to pray to her (u no men now, they love their mother, they will not hesitate to ansa their mothers' request). u find this in the book of............
c. Mary would have said so, its just that.......
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 3:46am On Apr 03, 2013
jimino: Pls my pentecostal brodas nd sistas, hv u eva read dis portion of d bible. Luke 1 : 48. For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generation shall call me blessed. John 19 : 26 - 27.
26: when Jesus therefore saw His mother and d disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, woman behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to d disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour dat disciple took her unto his own home.

In d gospel of luke 1: 48, Mary herself propheci dat all generatn shal call me blessed. Catholics r leaving up 2 dat prophecy. Dnt allow satan 2 use u 2 stop dis prophecy

In d gospel of John 19: 26- 27, at d foot of cross, and one of d last statement Jesus made b4 he died was 2 give is mother 2 d disciple John as his Mother and John 2 his mother as her son. At dis point Jesus gave mary 2 b d mother of all and we shld b her children. If Jesus christ himself gave his mother 2 us, who r u nt 2 hounor even afta d forth commadment intrust us 2 hounor our father nd mother.

Read ur bible nd ask God 4 d spirit of undastnding.
hey bro, yu are the only person dat attempted the question. thanks

pls remeber the keyword: INSTRUCTED, DIRECTED
thats just wat am after.
When someone gets a job say in a bank. he doesnt just go to work and take any job he feels like doing. he doesnt just go to the customer care and begin interacting with customers. he awaits INSTRUCTIONS, its called roles definition. if he operates outside the directions am sure u know wat happens to him.

question remains: where did Mary ask (DIRECT, INSTRUCT)yu to pray to her, honor her, this one is important make images of me.
thank you for your response
by the way, i love ur signature
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 3:51am On Apr 03, 2013
engrtee: THE DAY UNA STOP MEETING UNA PASTOR TO PRAY FOR UNA , NA DAT TIME WE GO STOP TO DEY PRAY THROUGH MARY.mtchew
u ddnt actually ansa the question
should i take it that yu pray through Mary just because only just because pentecostals meet pastor to pray for them.
sounds like imitation to me. the last time i checked. u dont imitate people for imitating sake. thank u for your response
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 5:05am On Apr 03, 2013
carr96: No way! We were never instructed to pray to her! She's not our intercessor! The DEAD can't intercede for the living + the bible never tells us so! Mary was jst a favored woman nothing more!
hey Sis, tnks for ur response, we r all here to learrn
Re: Jesus And Mary by mumumugu(m): 6:48am On Apr 03, 2013
The law was made for man . Man wasnt made forthe law.

Man was created first ,many years later,comandment was made.years later, book were made
Re: Jesus And Mary by Rich4god(m): 10:39am On Apr 03, 2013
You need to remove your mind from "where in the bible were we directed/instructed to do..." for a practice not to be in the bible does not mean its wrong/bad. The apostles appointed deacon to help them in their worship/mission, but Christ didnt direct/intruct them to do that. Does that mean the apostles are not following Christ's other. The bottomline is, its not every practice that must be directed or instructed in the bible. And to the person saying that dead people cannot intercede for us... Does that mean that angels can intercede for us since they are alive? Note that there is no death in Christ, else Moses wont have appeared with Elijah on the mount of olive cos he is dead. Peace.
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 12:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
Rich4god: You need to remove your mind from "where in the bible were we directed/instructed to do..." for a practice not to be in the bible does not mean its wrong/bad. .
Rich4god: The bottomline is, its not every practice that must be directed or instructed in the bible
bro i love your style, yu know based on this dis point of yours we can go meet the priest of Ogun or Amadioha and tell him that he can now start a church, call it church of Ogun. he is gonna preach the bible and chant praises of Ogun while holding his services its not in the bible but we can do wat is not in the bible acording to you. he can say things such as let us pray to the great Ogun god of thunder who is now a General of Gods heavenly host to intercede for us. why not we can also pray to simon of cyrene too. he helped the lord carry his cross. the lord will listen to him as a return favor of what he did
another suggestion, lets replace the image of Jesus on the cross with a loaf of bread afterall Jesus said his body is bread. then we can kiss it, bow to it etc.

Rich4god: The apostles appointed deacon to help them in their worship/mission, but Christ didnt direct/intruct them to do that. Does that mean the apostles are not following Christ's other. .
ok. y dd d apostles do this. out of necessity or out of 'we can do anything thats not in the bible'
2. if u r asking this question then u might as well ask why Jesus appointed his twelve
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 1:26pm On Apr 03, 2013
let me state my position on this matter. since it evident that there is no command from God, Jesus or even Mary for worship and prayers ascribed to her and other saints.

I earlier gave the example of roles definition in an organisation. you have to know what you are supposed to do.(this means yu have to be told, directed). so where do u get ur directions from. ofcourse from the authority you following. Now whats the authority a christian is supposed to follow.
when u find yursef doin wat is not required of u. how can u ascertain whether its acceptable. Remember there even some things that may appear right but they may not be acceptable for yu. (an example is Peter, he thought it was the right thing for his master not to die. if yu were in his shoes u wud have thought same.even though it is the right path to choose to live but in this case it was not acceptable for Jesus to choose to Live).1 cor 10:23 says all things are lawful for me, not all things are expedient (necesary,useful). even though some things are right. some of those right things dont edify. so how do u know the acceptabe right thing to do. this is where instruction comes in. this is why societies have laws (usually written instructions down of what and what not to do), and products have manuals.

all i have said simply, is that you need something to guide u. or else how do yu know the limit to what yu can do or wat u should nt do on yr own volition.
so
1. how do you know your limit of you should or should not do when u do not have instructions. (no directives mean you can do just anything as in anything)
2. even in the things that seem right to do, not all are acceptable.
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 2:00pm On Apr 03, 2013
the next question is who should be the source of instructions for christians

to answer this, we have to define who christians are:
They are a group of people that follow Christ (they are actually disciples of christ, learning from him) so Christ is the authority.

we can learn christ by the spirit through the written word(logos, bible) and spoken word (rhema, word for a particular situation).

You must understand the work of the spirit to both. (they that worship christ must worship him in truth and in spirit).

U should not find yourself worshipping God outside wat this guide intsructs. (ie the spirit through the logos and the rhema) it will not be acceptable.

SO CHECK YOURSELF. ARE YOU DOING WAT CHRIST DID NOT ASK YOU TO DO.
Re: Jesus And Mary by alexis(m): 4:43am On Apr 15, 2013
chukwudi44: Where in the bible did God ask Oyedepo,Oyakhilome e.t.c to form churches

The church is not a building or physical structure. A little more research on your part would have told you that.

The Great Commission is a commandment from Jesus to his followers to teach and tell others what He taught them. It can be found in Matthew 28:18-20. I believe that is the answer to your question.
Re: Jesus And Mary by alexis(m): 5:00am On Apr 15, 2013
The veneration of Mary is/was and will never be a Christian teaching. I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO PROVE OTHER-WISE.

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ - 1 Timothy 2:5. I don't see where Mary was mentioned here.
Re: Jesus And Mary by mumumugu(m): 7:49am On Apr 15, 2013
deSika: the next question is who should be the source of instructions for christians

to answer this, we have to define who christians are:
They are a group of people that follow Christ (they are actually disciples of christ, learning from him) so Christ is the authority.

we can learn christ by the spirit through the written word(logos, bible) and spoken word (rhema, word for a particular situation).

You must understand the work of the spirit to both. (they that worship christ must worship him in truth and in spirit).

U should not find yourself worshipping God outside wat this guide intsructs. (ie the spirit through the logos and the rhema) it will not be acceptable.

SO CHECK YOURSELF. ARE YOU DOING WAT CHRIST DID NOT ASK YOU TO DO.

is what christ asked us to do written only in bible?
Re: Jesus And Mary by mumumugu(m): 7:53am On Apr 15, 2013
alexis: The veneration of Mary is/was and will never be a Christian teaching. I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO PROVE OTHER-WISE.

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ - 1 Timothy 2:5. I don't see where Mary was mentioned here.

mediator is christ. Mary is intercesor
Re: Jesus And Mary by deSika(m): 11:23am On Apr 15, 2013
mumumugu: is what christ asked us to do written only in bible?

ur question suggests that there are other books that contain wat Christ asked us to do
as far as i know. d bible contains the account of Jesus earthly life. hope u dont mind showing me the other books if there are
Re: Jesus And Mary by italo: 11:54am On Apr 15, 2013
2 Thess 2:15:So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

This shows that not every teaching that Christians should hold on to is in the Bible. The question for you is, do you obey St Paul? Do you stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that were passed by word of mouth
deSika:
ur question suggests that there are other books that contain wat Christ asked us to do
as far as i know. d bible contains the account of Jesus earthly life. hope u dont mind showing me the other books if there are
?
Re: Jesus And Mary by italo: 11:58am On Apr 15, 2013
alexis:

The church is not a building or physical structure
. A little more research on your part would have told you that.

The Great Commission is a commandment from Jesus to his followers to teach and tell others what He taught them. It can be found in Matthew 28:18-20. I believe that is the answer to your question.

What is the Church?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do We Have Two Holyspirits Or More? / A Simple Mathematics For All Christians To Know / 'you All Claim You Can Heal, Why The Silence Now' - Primate Ayodele To Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.