Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,850 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion (12852 Views)

LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / Abdullahi Gana Appointed As NSCDC Commandant By Buhari / Nazim Mimiko Nominated To Replace Jega From March 1, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 02, 2013
Looking at the current security challenges in the country, do you think the civil defence should replace the police? From my experiences, the civil defence officers seem to be better trained and act far more professional than their police counterparts.

The recent case of the police killing civil defence officers who were protecting the pipelines, says a lot. I was watching a program today on tv, which highlighted the successes the civil defence is currently recording in fighting pipeline vandalism and the illegal sale of petroleum products. These are tasks which the police haven't been able to carry out very effectively. In my opinion, I believe the difference between these two organizations are training, salaries (I hear nscdc ppl are paid well) and management (ogas at the top).

My opinion: the police should be gradually scrapped by assigning more of their roles to the nscdc. Current police officers who wish to continue will be retrained under the nscdc. Sack all the police "ogas" because the hierachy has become too corrupt. Also, fine tune the roles of each agency so they don't overlap. For example Police/VIO/FRSC seem be all doing the same thing on the roads.

So, I leave it open to you all. No insults o! (Its only for opinions). Should the police be scrapped and nscdc be assigned the tasks of the police?

5 Likes

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Emmanuel602(m): 9:07am On Apr 03, 2013
First to comment do you know what it means?
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 03, 2013
NO!

Datsall!

1 Like

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Denningtedy(m): 9:10am On Apr 03, 2013
No... Dis iz uncaled for.. ;DNo... Dis iz uncaled for..
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 03, 2013
No,how can an organisation without website protect the citizens.
They are just as incompetent as our NPF,but I prefer the devil I know,to an unknown angel.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Denningtedy(m): 9:11am On Apr 03, 2013
[quote author=Imanuelle]NO!

Datsall!u're right
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Denningtedy(m): 9:12am On Apr 03, 2013
[quote author=Yomieluv]No,how can an organisation without website protect the citizens.
They are just as incompetent as our NPF,but I prefer the devil I know,to an unknown angel.[hahahahha bro u're right i guess u're bringing back d Oga @ d top syndrome again]
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 03, 2013
No.

Merge both bodies (I don't see the need for an NSCDC).

Professionalize the enlarged police force. Scrap security votes at all levels, and use the funds to equip the police instead.

Adjust the constitution to give states and local governments responsibility for local policing. Introduce state (and possibly municipal) police.

3 Likes

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Okijajuju1(m): 9:13am On Apr 03, 2013
Be careful what you wish for o!!

I will rather stay with the Nigerian Police rather than have the NSCDC. The NSCDC is like giving weapons to MASSOB, OPC, NURTW, OMO NILE, e.t.c.

NSCDC training is no different from all other para-military corp training. they bring them out in the morning and make them run 5 - 10 km everyday. then teach them how to handle guns and shoot, DATS ALL.

The Nigerian Police has a wider scope of work compared to the NSCDC and also their scope of work covers all aspects of the NSCDC.

I choose the Nigerian Police any day, any Time.

4 Likes

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 03, 2013

1 Like

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 03, 2013
Like its not the same mumu people called nigerians is in both force. Abeg.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Born2beRich1(m): 9:13am On Apr 03, 2013
I dont think so although our police is almost useless as they now participate in crime themselves.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by handmaid: 9:14am On Apr 03, 2013
...and this made it to the front page? How many comments so far even? undecided
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Paulonminyi: 9:14am On Apr 03, 2013
D shd merge dem
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 03, 2013
Yomieluv: No,how can an organisation without website protect the citizens.
They are just as incompetent as our NPF,but I prefer the devil I know,to an unknown angel.

No. They have a website, but "Oga at the top" couldn't provide it.

www.nscdc.gov.ng
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Mujitapha(m): 9:15am On Apr 03, 2013
Good idea.merge them together.while police are corrupt, the Nscdc lack experience.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Dygeasy(m): 9:16am On Apr 03, 2013
I cannot categorically tell you which one should replace which. Only my oga at the top can tell you. The one we are using presently is NPF and I cannot say something and my oga at the top will say something else.

Maybe we should continue with NPF that's all.

5 Likes

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by nitlad: 9:17am On Apr 03, 2013
What nonsense! angry

You think scrapping the NPF and replacing it with the NSCDC will suddenly eliminate all the security challenges in the land? undecided

Se ori bibe ni oogun ori fifo ni?

An inexperienced and equally ineffective paramilitary outfit should replace the police force? How is the country supposed to function that way? How many countries are habitable without a police force?

Why not subscribe to John Calvin's Political Anarchism and ask all constituted authorities be scrapped, so we can live in a society with no constituted authority?

You can make a case for sincere and serious wholesome reforms in the NPF, but suggesting the NSCDC as a replacement borders on insanity!

2 Likes

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by 1shortblackboy: 9:18am On Apr 03, 2013
All of dem no be nigerians ? Currupt people undecided

1 Like

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by AnodaIT(m): 9:20am On Apr 03, 2013
They are both made up of Nigerians, Its like saying we should give power to APC because we already know PDP, not forgetting that APC is made up of former PDP members who could not find their feet in the mainstream.
Tell the NSCDC that they are a force now, they will show you pepper

1 Like

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Lusola15: 9:20am On Apr 03, 2013
Sorry I don't agree

Everybody has a blacksheep in their family. Same with d NPF and NSCDC. There are just more in one than d other. First employ pple with OND and above. Pay dem well. Let d two train and work together on d field.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nwogbe: 9:21am On Apr 03, 2013
Robbery will become the order of the day.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by alaoeri: 9:22am On Apr 03, 2013
Pls what's the op trying to say?
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by nairaman66(m): 9:29am On Apr 03, 2013
The Devil you know, is better to the Angel being talked about!

1 Like

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by tellwisdom: 9:29am On Apr 03, 2013
What is nscdc, a new party? sad
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 03, 2013
NSCDC can not do NPF work, I cant even imagine what Nigeria will be without the NPF. I don't even know why NSCDC was created in the first place, they are always eager to do police work which is wrong.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by okemmadu(m): 9:38am On Apr 03, 2013
Haba! instead of scrapping? Scrap nscdc, frsc, immigration, prisons and all the allied whatever and merge them with the Nigerian Police Force.
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by magnificentsk(m): 9:39am On Apr 03, 2013
angryWhat is the meaning of NSCDC,literally they are being thought on how to curb mennace among civil society
On what justification should we approve that
Why not mopol recoprated back as police, military as mopol then somthing like recruiting new soldier as cIa or jtf, I dispise mili....

1 Like

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by naptu2: 9:43am On Apr 03, 2013
The functions of the police and the NSCDC are quite different (at least they were before the military decided to make all security agencies identical).

If you say the level of training, salaries and bosses at the NSCDC are better, then all you need to do is improve the salaries, level of training and quality of superiors in the police force. It doesn't mean that you should scrap the police force (that's an impossibility anyway).

The Civil Defence is not meant to be made up of a large body of full time officers. The basic idea of the NSCDC is of the citizens (civilian population) defending themselves.

Most of the members of the civil defence are meant to be residents of the community who have other jobs (security guards, teachers, doctors, etc), but who have volunteered to take up tasks like fire-fighting, intelligence gathering, conflict resolution/mediation in their community.

They attend training sessions at weekends and are usually the first responders when there are incidents like fires, burglaries, etc (because they live in the community). They are not meant to carry firearms. However, they should have their fire extinguishers, gas masks, battons and should be trained in unarmed combat and crowd control.

They usually gather intelligence (strange people, drugs, etc in the community) and pass on to their superiors who inform the police/government, so that action can be taken before the situation escalates. It is easy for them to do this because they live in the community, know the people in the community and are well known themselves (people can confidently tell them things that they'll be too scared to tell the police).

This is the way it was in the 1980s when my guard was a member of the NSCDC. This is the way it was during world war 2 when my grand father was a member. This is the way it was before the military decided to make all security agencies identical.

6 Likes

Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by dridowu: 9:44am On Apr 03, 2013
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
Re: Should NSCDC Replace Police?: Your Opinion by naptu2: 9:47am On Apr 03, 2013
Nowadays the army does police work, the mobile police (that is meant for riots and crowd control) does bodyguard work, the SSS also do police work, Lastma is involved in emergency management, etc.

It's just duplication of functions.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Appeal Court Upholds Andy Uba’s Sack / Perm Secs’ Appointments: Some Govt Directors Can’t Operate Computers – HOS / 2023: Atiku Abubakar Receives Abia PDP Delegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.