Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,364 members, 7,826,429 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency (874 Views)

Insecurity: Buhari Promised Blood If He Lost-presidency / Hold FG Responsible For Insecurity -buhari / Insecurity: Buhari, Tinubu, Lamido, Others Meet In Lagos (2015 "Politricks" ?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nathaniel734: 1:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
The Presidency on Tuesday fell short of attributing the current insurgency in some parts of Northern Nigeria to Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) who it described as a leading protagonist of violence.

Buhari, a former Head of State, while speaking on the Hausa service of the British Broadcasting Corporation in London on Monday, said the Federal Government should be blamed for the lingering security challenges in the country.

Reacting to the interview, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, said that it was unfortunate that Buhari could make such a statement.

Okupe who described Buhari as a man he holds in high esteem, however added that he had no option but to reply to his accusations against the Federal Government and the President.

Okupe said, “Everybody in this country knows that it was Buhari who vowed that if he did not win the election, he would make the country ungovernable for this President.

“It was this same Buhari, who said during the electioneering period that if the votes were counted and he lost, people should go for blood.

“He is not in any position to apportion blame on the issue of violence in the North or in Nigeria in general.

“He is a protagonist of violence. The only solution he sees to his not being President is to call for violence.

“This government has tried to contain some of the repercussions of the unguarded statements made by Buhari and I don’t think anybody in Nigeria will take him seriously on this allegation.”

Okupe wondered why the Daura State-born general had refused to visit states like Borno and Yobe despite the fact that he hails from the northern part of the country.

He said, “As a former Head of State, have you ever seen him (Buhari) visiting Borno or Yobe State? Have you ever seen him show sympathy to people , either Christians or Muslims that have been killed during these attacks (by Boko Haram)?

“Have you see him as a leader, a man who traversed the entire length and breadth of the North especially to canvass for votes seeking an end to the violence; why is it that he cannot use that same clout that he has to get leaders together and say we must put an end to this carnage?

“He finds it comfortable to shift the blame to other people. What has he done as a leader, who is from that region to help Nigeria and the North out of this unfortunate development?

“Nigerians should ask him, as a former Head of State and stakeholder in the Nigeria project and a man who wants to be President again, if he would want Nigeria to be destroyed up to a point before he can try to wade in? It does not work that way.”

Okupe said as a leader, Buhari should go beyond apportioning and do something crucial to bring the carnage in the country under control.

He reminded the Congress for Progressive Change’s national leader that during the crisis in Niger Delta, leaders from the region went into the creeks and discussed with the militants to lay down their arms.

“Has Buhari done that? When Christians were killed, he kept quiet, when mosques were bombed, he did not say anything. He doesn’t have any other interest in Nigeria but his inordinate ambition to rule,” he added.

http://www.informationng.com/2013/04/insecurity-buhari-should-be-held-responsible-presidency.html
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Emperor007: 2:21pm On Apr 03, 2013
Buhari and other northern leaders / elders have to condemn the activities of Boko Haram, if they want Nigerians to take them serious.

He should stop asking for amnesty to be granted to Boko Haram for killing innocent citizens of Nigeria

Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by nuclearboy(m): 2:33pm On Apr 03, 2013
If truly govt says Buhari is the solution to boko haram, then this is tacit acceptance that he's d man to take Nigeria out of the woods! GEJ promised to do so but now wants Buhari to do his work?

And we are all witnesses that it was his party members that threatened his ascension!

All these excuses and blame-mongering rather than governance is saddening
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nathaniel734: 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
nuclearboy: If truly govt says Buhari is the solution to boko haram, then this is tacit acceptance that he's d man to take Nigeria out of the woods! GEJ promised to do so but now wants Buhari to do his work?

And we are all witnesses that it was his party members that threatened his ascension!

All these excuses and blame-mongering rather than governance is saddening

i believe goverance will be difficult when there is no peace in the land...i think the Presidency is just holding Buhari by his statement during the 2011 election campaign, cos we all no dat was the origin of this problem, the boko haram prob.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Bigcake: 3:26pm On Apr 03, 2013
This is long overdue, i expected d boko haram president to be arrested since.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
No insurgence anywhere around the world has been defeated without the local or host community rejecting the insurgents.

I dont know that there is a direct link between Buhari and Boko Haram and will not go as far as suggesting that. But Buhari and the Northern Establishment must take political/moral responsibility for their response to the carnage going on there right now. So long as they lack the courage to condemn the actions of Boko Haram in unequivocal terms, so long as they are not supporting security forces to weed out Boko Haram then they must own up to their own inaction.

The security of lives and properties of all Nigerians is the priority and executive responsibility of Federal Government. But the wider citizenry also have a role to play in helping Government protect us. Buhari as a citizen, an ex leader and leader of the opposition has not shown enough leadership on this issue. Nigerians are getting killed and Buhari can not wait until he gets elected to be helpful.

If Buhari has advised Government and they are not listening then say to Nigerians in clear terms what your position is and what you will do differently in power! Granting interviews on BBC saying "Government knows what to do to get Boko Haram to melow" means absolutely nothing!

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nathaniel734: 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
mikeansy: No insurgence anywhere around the world has been defeated without the local or host community rejecting the insurgents.

I dont know that there is a direct link between Buhari and Boko Haram and will not go as far as suggesting that. But Buhari and the Northern Establishment must take political/moral responsibility for their response to the carnage going on there right now. So long as they lack the courage to condemn the actions of Boko Haram in unequivocal terms, so long as they are not supporting security forces to weed out Boko Haram then they must own up to their own inaction.

The security of lives and properties of all Nigerians is the priority and executive responsibility of Federal Government. But the wider citizenry also have a role to play in helping Government protect us. Buhari as a citizen, an ex leader and leader of the opposition has not shown enough leadership on this issue. Nigerians are getting killed and Buhari can not wait until he gets elected to be helpful.

If Buhari has advised Government and they are not listening then say to Nigerians in clear terms what your position is! Granting interviews on BBC saying "Government knows what to do to get the militants to melow" means absolutely nothing!

well said...it's not all about running to foriegn media platforms to grant interview aimed at maligning the govt, effort has to be made to help eradicate this menace, by spearheading the peace process, or even condemning it and showing some act of sympathy towards the affected ones, but itz a pity that he (Buhari) isnt ready to do such, rather he is hell bent on becoming the President...too bad.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by nuclearboy(m): 4:14pm On Apr 03, 2013
Nathaniel734:

i believe goverance will be difficult when there is no peace in the land...i think the Presidency is just holding Buhari by his statement during the 2011 election campaign, cos we all no dat was the origin of this problem, the boko haram prob.

According to you as detailed in your post, Buhari's statement in 2011 WAS the origin of Boko Haram that started in 2009 (many accounts put it as much earlier)?

Its good to allow opinions but bro, yours gives the impression of something that came from someone high on toilet fumes!

Boko Haram has been in existence for years and became truly violent (in the public eye) when they clashed with the security forces in 2009 when their leader was killed in strange circumstances! I could go on and on but its worthwhile you applied yourself to google etc - mental laziness is NOT a good thing
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by nuclearboy(m): 4:30pm On Apr 03, 2013
mikeansy: No insurgence anywhere around the world has been defeated without the local or host community rejecting the insurgents.

If Buhari has advised Government and they are not listening then say to Nigerians in clear terms what your position is and what you will do differently in power! Granting interviews on BBC saying "Government knows what to do to get Boko Haram to melow" means absolutely nothing!

I think you are being unfair here!

General Shuwa spoke out and he was killed for that! The man who received Obasanjo when he visited the late Yusuf's family died the next day!

Northerners (and many others including some well known political leaders from the east) believe this scourge is a deliberate attempt to decimate the north and so, why should Buhari condemn? If he doesand Boko Haram kills him as they have killed others, who loses? If they do not but what northerners see as "political" boko haram kills him, who loses? Funniest is this - IF boko haram "stops" after his condemnatory statement, what would YOU (for example) say? Is it not that he has called his "boys" to order?

Someone is being paid for promising to tackle security - that's the person to go to - you say Buhari hasn't put himself enough on the line! What of the President who KNEW his insistence on putting himself over agreements and the country would cause issues? Why didn't he toe this same path you wish Buhari to take and sacrifice his own ambition for the love of Nigeria?

Finally, Sambo is also a northern elder! So are Bamanga Tukur and the other flatulent windbags sharing money in PDP - where is the statement they made condemning Boko Haram? Atiku is a northern elder who threatened openly - why aren't you all screaming for his statement?

Its unfair to continually lie against this man and you are all only just building more sympathy for him with the vituperation

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
nuclearboy:

I think you are being unfair here!

General Shuwa spoke out and he was killed for that! The man who received Obasanjo when he visited the late Yusuf's family died the next day!

Northerners (and many others including some well known political leaders from the east) believe this scourge is a deliberate attempt to decimate the north and so, why should Buhari condemn? If he doesand Boko Haram kills him as they have killed others, who loses? If they do not but what northerners see as "political" boko haram kills him, who loses? Funniest is this - IF boko haram "stops" after his condemnatory statement, what would YOU (for example) say? Is it not that he has called his "boys" to order?

Someone is being paid for promising to tackle security - that's the person to go to - you say Buhari hasn't put himself enough on the line! What of the President who KNEW his insistence on putting himself over agreements and the country would cause issues? Why didn't he toe this same path you wish Buhari to take and sacrifice his own ambition for the love of Nigeria?

Finally, Sambo is also a northern elder! So are Bamanga Tukur and the other flatulent windbags sharing money in PDP - where is the statement they made condemning Boko Haram? Atiku is a northern elder who threatened openly - why aren't you all screaming for his statement?

Its unfair to continually lie against this man and you are all only just building more sympathy for him with the vituperation

I thought Buhari was a General? where is the courage? Sometimes we must stand up to this people and say our will is stronger than yours!!! . . . .if more people spoke out it will be harder to kill people just because they spoke out!

Did you see how the Army out ran osisikankwu in Abia State? thats what happens when the local community reject a rebel and his group!

Like I said, the Executive responsibility to protect Nigerians falls squarely on the President and he is failing on that. But Buhari and the Northern Establishment have Political/Moral responsibility to help defeat Boko haram and they are not doing enough yet.

On the issue of the President's ambition: He contested election and won. He does not have to relinquish power for there to be peace. Quite frankly if the reason Boko Haram are bombing everyone is because Jonathan is in power. I am sorry I will vote Jonathan for another term even though I am not his fan. Terrosim must not be allowed as a tool to influence votes. If you are insinuating that the reason there is bombing is because Jonathan is in power then I am sorry there will be more bombings because I am not expecting Jonathan to resign and will never encourage that.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Camilia247: 4:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
nuclearboy:

According to you as detailed in your post, Buhari's statement in 2011 WAS the origin of Boko Haram that started in 2009 (many accounts put it as much earlier)?

Its good to allow opinions but bro, yours gives the impression of something that came from someone high on toilet fumes!

Boko Haram has been in existence for years and became truly violent (in the public eye) when they clashed with the security forces in 2009 when their leader was killed in strange circumstances! I could go on and on but its worthwhile you applied yourself to google etc - mental laziness is NOT a good thing

well call it whatever, but the whole violent acts begun after he made the statement that the will be blood if he doesnt win, and that's were the argument lies...obj as a past president frm south west took a bold step by trying to find an headway to the prob...which has buhari done?
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 5:17pm On Apr 03, 2013
I thought it was Atiku that said that,he is going to make this country ungovernable.U guys have no shame.Lying will not take any u were,is not going to solve anything.Any by d way,is anything happen to gmb,u are going to see something u never expect to see.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 03, 2013
Buhari is a boko with the smallest blokos.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by slimghost(m): 5:51pm On Apr 03, 2013
Ibrahim mr fish: I thought it was Atiku that said that,he is going to make this country ungovernable.U guys have no shame.Lying will not take any u were,is not going to solve anything.Any by d way,is anything happen to gmb,u are going to see something u never expect to see.

STFU Ape! who tha Bleep are threatening? To hell with you and ur terrorist GMB!
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by dapachez: 5:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
Nathaniel734:

Tortoise you can lie oh. You must have been in limbo when this BH thing started or what is it you are smoking. Learn to get your facts right before commenting.
http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2012/05/idioms-mistranslation-and-abatis-double.html?m=1
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by nuclearboy(m): 9:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
mikeansy:

I thought Buhari was a General? where is the courage? Sometimes we must stand up to this people and say our will is stronger than yours!!! . . . .if more people spoke out it will be harder to kill people just because they spoke out!

Did you see how the Army out ran osisikankwu in Abia State? thats what happens when the local community reject a rebel and his group!

Like I said, the Executive responsibility to protect Nigerians falls squarely on the President and he is failing on that. But Buhari and the Northern Establishment have Political/Moral responsibility to help defeat Boko haram and they are not doing enough yet.

On the issue of the President's ambition: He contested election and won. He does not have to relinquish power for there to be peace. Quite frankly if the reason Boko Haram are bombing everyone is because Jonathan is in power. I am sorry I will vote Jonathan for another term even though I am not his fan. Terrosim must not be allowed as a tool to influence votes. If you are insinuating that the reason there is bombing is because Jonathan is in power then I am sorry there will be more bombings because I am not expecting Jonathan to resign and will never encourage that.

Na only general? Ihejerika is a serving general. Still young & active. Tell him to go face them
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by omenka(m): 10:11pm On Apr 03, 2013
If it were not for the fact that we've always had morally bankrupt leaders succeeding themselves in government, a common crook like otupe wouldn't hav the voice to open his stinking gob to spew thrash about pple whose pedegree are light yrs ahead of his.

Securing lives and properties of the citizens is the primary purpose of government. Instead of admitting their dismal failure in this regard, and humbly requesting help, they shamelesly engage in name calling and buck passing!

You don't blackmail everyeone into solving your problems for you. Every single Nigerian above the age of 10 knows otupe's stock in trade is lies and more lies. But his franchise is growing staller by the day and it is only a matter of time before he is fixed where he appropriately belongs.

It pains me no end why the General maintains such composure and statesmanship in the face of all these provocations! When is he gonna sue these imps for defamation of character? Isn't it high time they provided evidence of those instances in which he said he wld make the country ungovernable? This lie is being taken tooo damn far and the more somthing drastic is not done about it, the more gullible nigerians who, sadly, constitute the bulk of the voting population would buy into it!

Enough is Enough! Act Now!!

God Bless Nigeria
God Bless GMB
God Bless APC

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by dayokanu(m): 10:33pm On Apr 03, 2013
So a President who can perform his duties hold Buhari responsible

Did Nigerians elect Buhari or Retardden Jonathan?

if he feels Buhari is responsible he should arrest him and stop blowing hot air

October 1 2010 bomb blast MEND claimed responsibilities Our President Retardeen jonathan made himself spokesman for MEND and absolved them before the dust settled
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Tigerhead: 10:45pm On Apr 03, 2013
Why do this man's supporters call him "GENERAL"? Is he going to be president general Buhari? Anyway the man is part of the Axis of Evil so what do you expect? Evil is as evil will be.
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by banki(m): 11:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
Its a shame that doyin okupe is even representing mr president
Please what's d job function of the president
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 03, 2013
What a Senseless, Clueless and irresponsible government! Always looking for who to blame for their stupidity and slowpokishness! twaaaa!
Re: Insecurity: Buhari Should Be Held Responsible – Presidency by Gamji007: 12:05am On Apr 04, 2013
Camilia247:

well call it whatever, but the whole violent acts begun after he made the statement that the will be blood if he doesnt win, and that's were the argument lies...obj as a past president frm south west took a bold step by trying to find an headway to the prob...which has buhari done?

I'm still finding it hard to figure out how most Nigerians especially in this forum, find it hard to apply their brains to reason. For God's sake, nobody is asking anybody to pay before applying his brain,its free of charge. Else, how can a sensible and reasonable person make such comments above,and even others before him?
How can any sensible and reasonable person say that comments made by GMG in 2011 ( eventhough none of the lunatics can tell you where and when he made such comments) caused the problems that started in 2009?

Haba Nigerians, the use of brain is free, except if there is none!

(1) (Reply)

Mujahid Asari Dokubu An ACN Card Carying Member ??? / Obasanjo Dumps Politics, Turns Evangelist / Romance Made In Nollywood - Nigerian Men And Kenyan Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.