Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Suya Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Suya Recipe (2060 Views)

Why Is Suya Not Readily Available As Breakfast? / Why Suya Isn't Being Sold In The Day Time? / Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suya Recipe by Pretiby(f): 6:26pm On Apr 04, 2013
Suya is widely sold in Nigeria, originating from the North. Suya is one of the best things that ever happened to grilled beef or lamb or goat or chicken.

In the middle East, they have Kebabs, In Malaysia, they have Satays, but we are proud to have Suya here in Nigeria. The characteristics of Suya is that the marinade includes a must have ingredient "Kuli Kuli Powder" also know as grounded peanut powder (with the excess oil stripped off).

Suya is normally served wrapped in newspaper (mostly when bought from the Hausa Suya Makers) and foodgrade plastics, served alongside, raw onions, tomatoes and sometimes cabbage, fried chips, bitter lemon, and jellof or fried rice.

I am not a fan of raw onions so I mellow the taste by soaking it in water for about 5 minutes. I also tossed the diced tomatoes with finely chopped coriander just for a more vibrant color.
To prepare this recipe, here's what you need.

Ingredients:

500g beef fillets (or as desired)
Suya sticks (as much as possible)
1 cup of roasted peanuts (a cup = 250ml)
1 teaspoon dry grounded pepper (chilli or cayenne)
1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 stock cube (maggi) (optional)

Procedure:
Soak the suya sticks in cold water for at least 5 hours so that hey do not char during grilling

Blend roasted peanuts to a fine powder

Transfer the powder to a medium and bowl, add in the grounded pepper, paprika, ginger, garlic, onion, salt and stock cube

Mix thoroughly to have your Suya Spice (also known as Yaji in Hausa). I usually use a mixer or add in the ingredients to the already blended roasted peanuts and blend further, so that it will mix well

For the beef fillets, they need to be thin (it will be better if your butcher have the appliance for this purpose but if not just do your best and cut the beef into thin fillets using your kitchen knife)

Cut the fillets into short pieces so that they do not flap too much when you thread them on the sticks
Thread the pieces of beef on the pre-soaked sticks

follow this link for continuation http://..com/2013/04/nigerian-suya-recipe.html

Re: Suya Recipe by degurl(f): 5:11am On Apr 06, 2013
Thanks for the explanation above. Will figure the rest out.
Re: Suya Recipe by Pretiby(f): 7:44am On Apr 08, 2013
You're welcome
degurl: Thanks for the explanation above. Will figure the rest out.
Re: Suya Recipe by CrazyMan(m): 3:02am On Apr 13, 2013
Nice...but I don't think I have the strength to put what I've learned on this thread to practice for now. wink

Anyways I've book marked it for future purpose. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Is this the worlds biggest Mango? / How To Prepare Dodo And Gizzard (gizdodo Recipe) / The Importance Of Pig Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.