Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis (18502 Views)

Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. / JAMB Reduces Cut-off Mark To 180 For Unis & 160 For Others / Which Schools Are Still Selling Nursing Form? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Acidosis(m): 7:04am On Apr 06, 2013
I'll start by quoting a nairalander on a topic Church Universities Are The Most Expensive In Nigeria

Meldrick:
Nobody is forcing you to attend the University, neither is any one forcing you to pay tithe or offering. Rather than complaining, ranting and barking why not attend the public schools and keep your offering (that is if you have ever paid an offering).
www.nairaland.com/792769/church-universities-most-expensive-nigeria/1

I'm wondering, why do we always bark & complain about the fees of privately owned higher institutions forgetting that many primary/secondary pupils pay twice and even 3 times the amount the glorified secondary school students pay per annum??

Here is a list of elitist secondary schools in Lagos:

1. British International School
Location: 1, Landbridge Avenue, Oniru Private Estate. Victoria Island. Lagos.

Tuition and Fees: (Boarding Annual) $26,750+N200, 000
Additional Charges (at160 per dollar exchange rate) = N4,480, 000.00
Tuition and Fees: (Day) $15,250+
Additional Charges (at 160 per dollar exchange rate) =N2,640, 000.00

2. Lekki British International School
Location: Victoria Arobieke street, off. Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

Tuition and Fees;(Boarding Annual) $19,500+N200, 000 development fee (at N165 per dollar exchange rate)= N4, 000,300.00
Tuition and Fees: (Day) $12,000+N200, 00 Development fee (at N165 per dollar exchange rate) =N2, 911, 300.00

3. Greensprings School

Tuition and Fees: (Boarding Annual) N3, 185,200 . Additional charges excluded.
Tuition and Fees: (Day Annual) N1, 925,200.00. additional charges excluded.

4. Atlantic Hall, Epe

Tuition and Fees: (Annual) N2,270,000.00. Additional charges like uniforms are excluded from the fees.

5. Chrisland College

Tuition and Fees: (Annual) N2,000,000. Additional charges are excluded.

6. Dowen College
Located in the heart of Regency Town of Lekki, Lagos.

Tuition and Fees: (Boarding Annual) N 2,000,000.00. Additional charges excluded.
Tuition and Fees: (Day Annual) N 1,250,000.00. Additional charges excluded.
http://totaleducation.com.ng/index.php/features/analysis/1556-most-expensive-schools-in-lagos

I see you're shaking your head already, but mind you, I'm still in Lagos, infact I'm still around Lekki. ...yet to visit the presidential city of politicians- Abuja, P/H 'nko'?

Because of time, I'd ask only 1 question!
Can we also call these elitist secondary schools glorified Kindergarten house because of the high fees?

Or

Nigerians should just shut their mouths and stop barking at privately owned universities & the respective owners?
& for the present record, I attended public/government schools all my life and I always mind my business & my pocket too grin

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by baynix(m): 7:20am On Apr 06, 2013
Secondary Schl Dey Pay 4m?? Choi!!

Cum Osun State, U Go Chop For Free, Free Schl Uniform.. Plus 1 Computer Tablet!

Buh Serzly.. Ds Is Too Much For Secondary Schl IMO! Abi Dem Go Pack Book Inside Head??
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Acidosis(m): 7:41am On Apr 06, 2013
baynix: Secondary Schl Dey Pay 4m?? Choi!!

Cum Osun State, U Go Chop For Free, Free Schl Uniform.. Plus 1 Computer Tablet!

Buh Serzly.. Ds Is Too Much For Secondary Schl IMO! Abi Dem Go Pack Book Inside Head??

Lo! cheesy na so I see am broda.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by kevoh(m): 7:43am On Apr 06, 2013
Simply cut your coat according to your size! lipsrsealed

Just wondering if the subjects taught in these expensive primary and secondary schools are different from what I learnt back in school. Is it not the same physics in which the principle of floatation relates to Archemedes principle, chemistry that speaks about Hydrocarbons or ABC rhyme that goes as A for Analysis, B for Buoyancy... Z for Zygapophysis angry ?

Anyway back to my first sentence this time in capital letters no need complaining SIMPLY CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE or as the op put it "Mind my business and my pocket too". smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Acidosis(m): 7:45am On Apr 06, 2013
^ ^ exactly!
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by atikubaba(m): 7:57am On Apr 06, 2013
@OP u can make ur points without insults.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by olawalebabs(m): 8:02am On Apr 06, 2013
Some of those schools uses more one one curriculum. BIS use Nigeria and British curriculum.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by shewanna: 8:04am On Apr 06, 2013
Even nur/pry schs for that matter. Like Grange schools ikeja(abt 1.5m annually),corona schs,chrisland etc (abt 1m annually). Abeg, e pass A/a/ as in apple,B/b/ as in ball,C/k/ as in cup cheesy . Meanwhile,there are other schools that don't collect half of that amount yet they give quality education to their pupils using Nigeria and british curriculum as well.
Even covenant uni no pay 1.5 per annum. sad
May God help us!

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Odunnu: 8:14am On Apr 06, 2013
Wow!! shocked shocked
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Acidosis(m): 8:15am On Apr 06, 2013
atikubaba: @OP u can make ur points without insults.

lol... thats nothing compared to what private uni owners receive on nairaland..
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 06, 2013
The Regent Secondary school, Abuja pays as much as 1.3 million a term. Don't even get me started on American Intl School of Abuja!! Or even Nigerian Turkish...
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Lagusta(m): 9:30am On Apr 06, 2013
Even if they use british, american, czechoslovakian, or tajikstanian curiculum, its still the same physics, chemistry, biology, economics, geography, history, commerce, accounting, religious studies, etc that is being taught everywhere.... The only difference being language barrier.....

And, british curiculum adds some subjects such as latin... Wetin i go use latin do, abi i be obaiagbon

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by kevoh(m): 9:55am On Apr 06, 2013
Lagusta: Even if they use british, american, czechoslovakian, or tajikstanian curiculum, its still the same physics, chemistry, biology, economics, geography, history, commerce, accounting, religious studies, etc that is being taught everywhere.... The only difference being language barrier.....

And, british curiculum adds some subjects such as latin... Wetin i go use latin do, abi i be obaiagbon
Hey, I did Latin in secondary school then but my school fees were never high yet I can speak French and know a bit of Latin. It was a catholic boarding school though, hence the low fees but quality education. Heard they pay about 60K per term now. That is still low now abi? In my time we paid 15 to 17k per term.

Why do I keep returning to this thread despite the 'Mind my busines and mind my pocket' slogan tongue .
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Lagusta(m): 10:07am On Apr 06, 2013
kevoh:
Hey, I did Latin in secondary school then but my school fees were never high yet I can speak French and know a bit of Latin. It was a catholic boarding school though, hence the low fees but quality education. Heard they pay about 60K per term now. That is still low now abi? In my time we paid 15 to 17k per term.

Why do I keep returning to this thread despite the 'Mind my busines and mind my pocket' slogan tongue .

yeah, we are driving home the same train....

If a school can charge 60K for quality education, and of course to pass at SSCE level, then i'm all for it, rather than paying over 5M, even if i were to be richer than bill gates....

I'd rather send my child abroad than spend that kind of money, i even heard those schools dont teach well sef....
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by kevoh(m): 10:22am On Apr 06, 2013
Lagusta:
I'd rather send my child abroad than spend that kind of money, i even heard those schools dont teach well sef....

I don't think so, with the amount of money being collected as fees I am certain the schools will teach well not necessarily better than your average school though.

Also people will tell you they don't teach well due to 'Bad Belle-ism' tongue. Ask any of the 'Bad-Belles' how they came to that conclusion when they never sent their wards/kids to such schools and gain a first-hand experience of the teaching style and you will get a silly response from them.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 06, 2013
tchidi: The Regent Secondary school, Abuja pays as much as 1.3 million a term. Don't even get me started on American Intl School of Abuja!! Or even Nigerian Turkish...

Nigerian turkish ke ?
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Lagusta(m): 12:11pm On Apr 06, 2013
kevoh:

I don't think so, with the amount of money being collected as fees I am certain the schools will teach well not necessarily better than your average school though.

Also people will tell you they don't teach well due to 'Bad Belle-ism' tongue. Ask any of the 'Bad-Belles' how they came to that conclusion when they never sent their wards/kids to such schools and gain a first-hand experience of the teaching style and you will get a silly response from them.

well, true shaa....
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Alaafialoro(m): 2:37pm On Apr 06, 2013
kevoh: no need complaining, SIMPLY CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE or as the op put it "Mind my business and my pocket too". smiley
^^^ end of discussion!
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Acidosis(m): 5:39pm On Apr 06, 2013
Na who modify the topic??
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Nigerian turkish ke ?

Nigerian Turkish International College.. NTIC
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
tchidi:

Nigerian Turkish International College.. NTIC
I never knew there was such a school.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by sagaciousblog: 8:03pm On Apr 06, 2013
NA WA OOO...and my fees was just #4,500 and we still struggle to pay a week before commencement of exam...life is beautiful!

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 4:47am On Apr 07, 2013
ok, the prices are just outrageous. Look at BIS and Lekki British, their tuition is just slightly below what most colleges/universities here in the States charge as tuition, N5 million on top secondary school? Maka gini? Is it not the same chemistry, physics and geography they are taught in those schools? So in 6 years a parent will spend N30 million on his kid? shocked shocked such a loving parent indeed cheesy cheesy

erm, acidosis, but those private unis are still glorified secondary schools. I don't even understand why it's pissing you that much.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 5:25am On Apr 07, 2013
Shebi na only lagos state una dey c na...cum abuja n c skuls lyk Nigerian turkish,premiere academy and several skuls lyk dat....bt i jst wonda if na d same waec dem wan wryt abi special waec dey for dem ni?na waooo
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 07, 2013
Taylor184: Shebi na only lagos state una dey c na...cum abuja n c skuls lyk Nigerian turkish,premiere academy and several skuls lyk dat....bt i jst wonda if na d same waec dem wan wryt abi special waec dey for dem ni?na waooo

Will u believe that I saw the result of a student from one of these schools, d boy had just a D7 in islamic studies, the rest where F's.... After d millions paid as school fees... I'll just send him to Pilot Science sec sch Kuchikau! undecided undecided
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 07, 2013
Hahahahahaha...sure na,sum of dos students are very dull.......pikin wey go knw book go knw book,and pikin wey go dull go dull irrespective of any expensive skul he attends......all do xpensiv skuls na wash jor...
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2013
5 million per a year ? You might as well send your child to London to be educated for free. 5 million for what na ?

That same for 5 million can almost pay two years of tuition fees in British universities.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 07, 2013
adaobi123: 5 million per a year ? You might as well send your child to London to be educated for free. 5 million for what na ?

That same for 5 million can almost pay two years of tuition fees in British universities.

Exactly what I told a friend. You might as well send your child abroad to school if you really want him to have an "international" education. Because N5 million can cover tuition, room and board and transportation for a year and still leave you with change. Those prices are outrageous. What do they teach them exactly? how to make diamond? or was the school built with gold? I don't understand why it should be that expensive.

I also went to an international school and it was not even up to half of that amount.

Imagine after spending N30 million on your child in 6 years, he fails his WAEC or IGCSE, that's some pretty messed up something.
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Lagusta(m): 3:00pm On Apr 07, 2013
tchidi:

Will u believe that I saw the result of a student from one of these schools, d boy had just a D7 in islamic studies, the rest where F's.... After d millions paid as school fees... I'll just send him to Pilot Science sec sch Kuchikau! undecided undecided

LOLOLOLOL grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 07, 2013
ItsModella:
Exactly what I told a friend. You might as well send your child abroad to school if you really want him to have an "international" education. Because N5 million can cover tuition, room and board and transportation for a year and still leave you with change. Those prices are outrageous. What do they teach them exactly? how to make diamond? or was the school built with gold? I don't understand why it should be that expensive.

I also went to an international school and it was not even up to half of that amount.

Imagine after spending N30 million on your child in 6 years, he fails his WAEC or IGCSE, that's some pretty messed up something.

Yeah the prices are outrageous ! Is it because the owner of the schools are white, so they decided to quadruple the fees ? I maybe wrong though, its just a thought.

I even thought the school that I went to was expensive. My school fees are peanuts compared to BIS and Lekki.

If I was that parent, I would demand the school for a refund plus interest !
Re: Do You Know That Many Secondary Schools Are More Expensive Than Private Unis by tinuolababy(f): 3:49pm On Apr 25, 2013
Na wah o aπϑ some people couldn't afford to send their wards to Government School.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Philosophy Students / Schools In Rivers State Resume On Monday, 4th January, 2021 / NSE Opens 2016 Essay Competition To Promote Financial Literacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.