Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria - Science/Technology (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria (38294 Views)

Made-In-Akwa Ibom Electricity Meters Hit Market In March (photo) / Solar Energy Installations In Nigeria - Welcome To 24 Hours Electricity / The Cheapest Form Of Electricity In Nigeria Today Is....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 10:54pm On Apr 25, 2013
Been here in Lagos nearly a week now, and fantastic progress made. We have partnered with DuPont, one of the world's largest Science and development companies, to incorporate their hi-tech, high performance panels into our installations.

We have had a great response from both businesses and consumers alike, and will shortly be shipping our first order. Its a very exciting time for all concerned, as we can see the future of Nigeria forming before our very eyes.

Please feel free to comment or ask any questions you have, and I'll be sure to respond to you.

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Jeezy: 3:43pm On May 03, 2013
@ OP: I admire your passion, and i think it holds the key to your success. Best of Luck to you bro!
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:13am On May 06, 2013
Great comments on this thread and like mrjingles commented: the banks must really see the positives in this business to back the company.
Also generalj was right, surveying the abuja terrain,places like maitama, asokoro, gwarimpa and parts of kubwa to mention a few areas, there are people who will really appreciate this information and technology.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 9:14pm On May 07, 2013
lari03: Great comments on this thread and like mrjingles commented: the banks must really see the positives in this business to back the company.
Also generalj was right, surveying the abuja terrain,places like maitama, asokoro, gwarimpa and parts of kubwa to mention a few areas, there are people who will really appreciate this information and technology.

Many thanks. There is an awful lot of money out there just waiting to pour into the Nigerian Renewable Energy market. I must tell you that we have now secured a $1 billion credit line from yet another group of UK investors. It's common knowledge in the west that NIgeria is the next boom economy, and the biggest boom of all will be in the renewable energy space.

2 weeks on the ground so far, and just about to sign our first massive deal - details to follow when appropriate.

Regards

Uvie
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by perera1987: 2:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Try this if it helpful http://www.rbisolar.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by princejude(m): 4:59pm On Apr 24, 2015
Latest Arrival 30% discount:

ADXL335 ACCELEROMETER
ARDUINO UNO mega328 pdip
ARDUINO UNO mega328 smd
HC-SR04 ULTRASONIC
L298N MOTOR DRIVER
MQ-2 GAS SENSOR
LM3940 IT-3.3V Regulator
BC547
BC557
PIC18F2550-PDIP
DHT11
HC-SR501 PIR MOTION SENSOR
RELAY MODULE
U-BLOX GPS MODULE
SIM900 GSM
1uF/50V
10uF/50V
100uF/50V
22pF
Flame Sensor
SOIL MOISTURE SENSOR HYGROMETER
TK103 CAR TRACKER
CP2102 USB TO TTL
502 5K Blue trimmer Adjust Resistor
BUZZER BLACK
ARDUINO JUMPER WIRE
6X1 CABLE with female header FOR PICKIT3
ENC28J60/SD CARD MODULE
8p dupont 2.54mm pitch cable with female
4p dupont 2.54mm pitch cable with female
2p dupont 2.54mm pitch cable with female
28 pin IC Socket
40 pin IC Socket
2.54MM RIBBON CABLE (5meters)

http://www.jutronix.com/new-arrivals/
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Barcholder: 12:44pm On May 17, 2015
Hi all

I started this thread over 2 years ago, before I arrived in the country to launch Solynta Energy, a Solar Power Company. I recall that at that time, there was a very healthy debate about whether my pronouncements about the power of solar to revolutionise the Nigerian Power sector were true, or mere exaggerations.

I have decided to provide an update on what has happened in the 2 years since I've been here in Nigeria running the company.

Accomplishments

Solynta Energy is now Nigeria's number 1 distributed Solar energy company, with total installed capacity of 250KW in just the last 8 months alone.

We have successfully installed the first fully solar powered Filling Station, in Abuja, and just the second in all of West Africa. We now have 5 fully solar powered Filling Stations in operation (Abuja, Benin City, Delta State, Lagos), with contracts signed for another 20. We expect to have installed 100 by the end of 2015

We have installed over 30 Solar Power Systems for homes, ranging from 1KW to 15KW systems. All are now experiencing 24 hours power, without need for their generators.

We have successfully completed installations in 9 States (FCT, Lagos, Rivers, Nassarrawa, Edo, Delta, Enugu, ondo, Kano), and will shortly be expanding into Cross River, Kogi, ogun, and Akwa Ibom. We have also penetrated Ghana with our first major installation there

We have developed Nigeria's first easy payment plan for Solar Energy, allowing Nigerians to go Solar for as little as N140,000. We are transforming lives by removing one of the biggest barriers to well being in Nigeria, which is access to cheap and constant power.

We are providing full time employment for 20 Nigerians, and are continually expanding our Solynta Family. I am very proud of this fact.

We will shortly be introducing a solar package for even people who run "i better pass my neighbour" generator, for a price of N9,000 per month for 20 months.

We have been very well received by the media for our continuing work, and have been featured in several newspapers, as well as CNBC Africa - see our homepage of wwwdotsolyntadotcomdotng for the video of the interview.

Solar Energy holds the key to Nigeria's future economic prosperity, and it is our mission to install 5 million residential units by 2023.

God bless Nigeria and God bless Nigerians.

Kind Regards

Uvie Ugono
Founder and ceo
Solynta Energy

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Fyzt: 12:54pm On May 17, 2015
This inverter will Power Your LCD TV, BULB,FRIDGE,LAPTOP,FAN 1, UPS FUNCTION: it will change to city power (NEPA) supply, once city power comes. It wills automatic change to battery supply immediately once the city power gone .And there is no interruption time. 2. CHARGING FACILITY; it is combined with in-build charger, which can charge your battery with power voltage from low voltage of 130v to high voltage of 250v 3. PROTACTION: auto protects from both high and low city power voltage .it won’t over heat &spoil even charge with long time low voltage. And it will cut off automatically from high voltage 4. QUIET WITHOUT NOISE FEATURE: the inverter fan will stop running when the battery is fully charged. The fan will stay still when there is city power supply, and city power will be used directly

20k only

Call 08170629549

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by princejude(m): 7:56am On May 29, 2015
Arduino Workshop LIVE in Enugu 12th June. Don't miss it...
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by frisby: 5:13am On Jun 15, 2015
Barcholder:
Hi all

I started this thread over 2 years ago, before I arrived in the country to launch Solynta Energy, a Solar Power Company. I recall that at that time, there was a very healthy debate about whether my pronouncements about the power of solar to revolutionise the Nigerian Power sector were true, or mere exaggerations.

I have decided to provide an update on what has happened in the 2 years since I've been here in Nigeria running the company.

Accomplishments

Solynta Energy is now Nigeria's number 1 distributed Solar energy company, with total installed capacity of 250KW in just the last 8 months alone.

We have successfully installed the first fully solar powered Filling Station, in Abuja, and just the second in all of West Africa. We now have 5 fully solar powered Filling Stations in operation (Abuja, Benin City, Delta State, Lagos), with contracts signed for another 20. We expect to have installed 100 by the end of 2015

We have installed over 30 Solar Power Systems for homes, ranging from 1KW to 15KW systems. All are now experiencing 24 hours power, without need for their generators.

We have successfully completed installations in 9 States (FCT, Lagos, Rivers, Nassarrawa, Edo, Delta, Enugu, ondo, Kano), and will shortly be expanding into Cross River, Kogi, ogun, and Akwa Ibom. We have also penetrated Ghana with our first major installation there

We have developed Nigeria's first easy payment plan for Solar Energy, allowing Nigerians to go Solar for as little as N140,000. We are transforming lives by removing one of the biggest barriers to well being in Nigeria, which is access to cheap and constant power.

We are providing full time employment for 20 Nigerians, and are continually expanding our Solynta Family. I am very proud of this fact.

We will shortly be introducing a solar package for even people who run "i better pass my neighbour" generator, for a price of N9,000 per month for 20 months.

We have been very well received by the media for our continuing work, and have been featured in several newspapers, as well as CNBC Africa - see our homepage of wwwdotsolyntadotcomdotng for the video of the interview.

Solar Energy holds the key to Nigeria's future economic prosperity, and it is our mission to install 5 million residential units by 2023.

God bless Nigeria and God bless Nigerians.

Kind Regards

Uvie Ugono
Founder and ceo
Solynta Energy

WoW!

I just read this thread from top to bottom. To be frank I never imagined it'd be possible to learn SO MUCH in just an hour or less.

I had been holding my breath till your latest comment (update) and am thrilled your tenacity is yielding result.

As a prospective customer, I'm yet unable to afford your product/service. But as an inexperienced/aspiring young entrepreneur I have been inspired and encouraged by this simple thread. So I thank you and everyone who participated in the two-year old debate that has just added immense value to me.

I'm curious however as to how TESLA's new "power wall" will affect the industry.

More grease to your elbow sir. I hope to become a great business-person like you someday.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by c0ogumo(m): 12:49am On Aug 01, 2015
Solar Depot Nigeria

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by ayox2003: 9:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
frisby:

WoW! .

I'm curious however as to how TESLA's new "power wall" will affect the industry.

More grease to your elbow sir. I hope to become a great business-person like you someday.

Tesla's Power Wall will disrupt not only the energy/oil industry, it would set a new trend in renewable energy industry. Sadly, these Solar companies are yet to grow exponentially to where we could say they have changed how man sources for energy because only Iceland and Germany still produce half of its energy via renewable sources. However, one thing is sure: fossil fuels as man's primary source of energy can only get smaller till it phases out completely.

Finally, its best to wait when TPW starts shipping January 2016. I hope they don't disappoint after that Musk's powerful presentation.

Frawzey
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by zeestone99(m): 5:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
For ur solar/inverter installations call 08117398294, or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com You can visit our website www.monzpowersolutions.com for more info. We ve diff inverters and solar panels in stock
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by princejude(m): 11:16am On Sep 04, 2015
September Arrivals

ISD1820 Voice Recording Module
TDA2030 Amplifier Module
W5100 Ethernet Shield
9 Pin 10k A09-103 Resistor pack
8 Channel Relay module
microSD Card Module
CP2102 USB-TO-TTL
L7805CV
ST Link V2
STM32F103C8T6 ARM Minimum Board
Electronic Door Lock
MB-102 (830 Point) Bread Board
20cm Dupont male – female
20cm Dupont male – male
GPS Receiver
MG995 Metal Gear Servo
MG90S Metal Gear Mini Servo
SG90 Mini Servo
Stepper Motor with ULN2003 motor driver board
LM35 Temperature Sensor
HLK-PM01 AC-DC 220V to 5V mini power supply
RFID NFC PN532 Shield
MLX90614 Contactless Temperature Sensor Module
DHT11 Temperature And Relative Humidity Sensor Module
Servo Pan/Tilt Anti-Vibration Camera Mount
Kinsten Positive Acting Presensitized Single-sided PCB PP1015 (10×15)cm x 1.6mm
Kinsten Positive Acting Presensitized Double-sided PCB PP1015 (10×15)cm x 1.6mm
FR4 PCB Single Side Copper Clad Board. 70 x 100 x 1.5 mm
FR4 PCB Double-Side Copper Clad Board, 150 * 100 * 1.6 mm
1W Zener diode 3.3v -30V
DIY KIT GSM GPRS 900 – 1800 MHz Short Message Service SMS module
Robotic Arm
MQ-137 Ammonia Gas Sensor
PH Level Sensor Module
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by Kellygold(f): 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2015
Genius100:

You forgot to include the start up cost of solar power. Second, what if the solar apparatus breaks down? I'm not sure Nigeria currently has enough experts to make a hitch-free solar power experience a reality..

You can get solar panel with as low as N25,000
The number of unit of solar panel will depend on the use.
Just call the main head of Austin Technologies Inverter and Battery.
08023706037 info@inverterandbattery.com
You will get amazing best price and delivery.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by c0ogumo(m): 3:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
=====SOLAR DEPOT NIGERIA======
www.solardepotng.com 0803-260-2629

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by lolipop2(m): 4:08am On Feb 15, 2016
7 years ago we installed a 2100W solar generator (Panel/Charger/Batteries/Inverter)in our office in Nigeria. It has worked flawlessly till date. The solar generator powers all the appliances in the office and attached guest apartment - computers, printers, electric iron, washing machine, microwave oven, fridge/freezer etc. We have installed similar systems for persons and organization across Nigeria. Below is the picture of the panels of our solar generator.

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by giovanee(m): 2:17pm On Jul 25, 2019
Please how much is a unit of light in Nigeria presently.

Barcholder:

An excellent post. One of the best yet in my humble opinion. Let me address your final point first. The Inverter is sized to handle the maximum load of the household, not the total amount of electricity generated, these are two totally different things.

I've noticed that there appears to be a lot of confusion between Energy Production and Energy Load (not surprising really as this is quite a confusing thing to understand). When designing a Solar Power System, there are 2 seperate things you need to take into account.

1. The average amount of Energy consumed by the household. On average, a 3 bedroom Nigerian household would consume anywhere between 6 and 10 kWh's (or units of electricity) each day. Therefore, the PV Solar array fitted to the roof must be sufficient to provide at least that amount of energy each day. In the South of Nigeria for example, the average Peak Sunlight hours received is about 4.5 - that means that a 2kW panel array (8 * 250W panels) will produce an average of 9kWh's of electricity each day.

2. The usage of electricity for a family will not be consistently spread across 24 hours - there will be peaks and troughs. For instance, during the daytime when nobody is home and also through the night, electricity usage will be minimal, with mainly just the fridge freezer on. In the evening when everyone returns home, electricity usage is likely to spike, with most of the appliances being used simultaneously. This simultaneous spike in usage is known as your Electricity Load, and in order to be able to handle it, your Inverter (or currently, generator) must be powerful enough to handle it. Typically, an average household with a 5kva generator uses no more than 8 kWh's of energy each day. Remember, your generator does not run at full load for the entire time it's on. You probably only hit full load very infrequently. The majority of the time, a generator will only be operating at 3/4 load on average. This basically means that the average family that currently own, say a 5kva generator will probably need a 5kva inverter to go with their 2kW Panel Array.

So the calculations on our site are accurate.

To your other points so eloquently made, I'll respond as follows:

The future of Nigeria's energy supply lies in a mixture of energy sources, as is the case in every single developed country in the world. No one source of energy can fulfil the entire quota required, for reasons of cost, practicality, safety etc. As an example, the UK currently produces just over 9% of its total power from renewable energy, of which Solar is a key component. The UK Government estimates that by 2020, 22,000MW of energy will be produced by Solar Energy by way of house rooftop installations. And that's in the Uk which receives an average of 1.5 peak sunlight hours a day on average. Put another way, the same number of rooftop panels projected in Nigeria would produce at least 3 times as much energy (66,000MW) in the South, and far higher in the north. To put some context behind that, the current total PHCN production capacity is just below 5,000MW, versus a demand of 60,000MW. The reasons for daily blackouts are obvious.

The 1kW package we sell is a starter package, and is clearly described as such, and would provide about 50% of a households daily electricity needs. A further point to note, Solar installations benefit significantly from economies of scale, so the larger the installation size, the lower the cost per kW. So, using the 1kW system as your base point is not really correct. That system is priced at $5 a Watt fully installed, whilst our larger solutions are priced much closer to $4 a Watt Fully installed. By the way, if you were to exclude the cost of the batteries, which are not needed in Western installations, and compared on a like for like basis, we are actually pricing our systems at significantly below $3 a kW Fully installed. That makes us by far the cheapest in the world. In no other country have they even gotten below $3.40 a Watt Installed. I have explained in previous posts exactly how and why we are able to do this and still make very healthy margins. This is a great source of pride for me.

Your description of the costs of building a power station versus Solar Installation are completely wrong. You are not comparing like with like. in order to do that, you would need to also calculate the cost of electricity supply to the average home over the next 25 years, based on the average expected Naira cost per kWh, then discounted to the present day. And bear in mind that there is a perpetual upward pressure on the raw material costs, namely gas, meaning that the current grid cost per kWh of N23 is likely to have at least doubled in 10 years (it will rise by close to 50% when the remaining fuel subsidy is removed later this year. By year 25, expect it to be in the region of N75 to N90 per kWh. Solar Power however, has ZERO additional input costs once installed, so its the perfect hedge against future energy cost rises. You will find that it's CONSIDERABLY cheaper than grid electricity over the long run. It is for this reason that Western governments of all political persuasions are falling over themselves to expand into Renewables.

The big bone of contention at the start of this thread was my calculations which showed that Solar Power, at the prices WE are selling at, is already cheaper than grid electricity, never mind diesel. I was vigorously challenged on my numbers, but I maintain that my calculations, whilst not necessarily being 100% accurate, do not have a margin of error of more than 15 - 20%. I estimate that it works out at a cost of N15.5 per kWh. Even if you inflated that number by 25%, it is still cheaper than grid electricity.

Your key point is therefore incorrect - at TODAY's prices, not only is Solar cheaper now, but over the short, medium and long term, it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any other source of energy production.

Finally, your point about waiting until prices dropped further until buying is flawed. Firstly, we are now at a point where prices for the Solar panels themselves are fast approaching the bottom of the cost curve - a recent report I read predicts that the cost per watt will fall from $0.61 that it now is, to $0.44 in 5 years time. Bear in mind that it was over $2.00 just 3 years ago, and you begin to see that the depreciation in price is following the same trend as a car. In car parlance, it's fast approaching its scrap value and won't fall too much lower.

As a follow on to that point, the reason you won't necessarily see much if any reduction in the total installed cost of solar panels even when the panel prices fall to $0.44 a Watt is this:

The total cost of a Solar Installation is less than 50% comprised of the cost of the hardware. Close on 60% of the cost is made up of 'Soft Costs' such as Sales, Marketing, Installation etc. Essentially, the reason why I'm able to sell my systems at relatively low prices is because our soft costs currently in Nigeria are pretty low - there is practically no competition, so it's really easy to reach our target customer and sell. Once we prove categorically that Solar is the way forward for Nigeria and begin generating significant profits, there will no doubt be new entrants into the market, which will force up soft costs, meaning overall costs won't be able to fall to compensate for additional competition, as you would expect.

We have deliberately adopted a "Penetrative Pricing Model" precisely to allow as many people as possible to buy, cementing the Solynta brand in the process.

One final point to add - your point about waiting a few years before buying is entirely counter intuitive. Think about it. At the moment, the average home receives little more than an average of 4 hours a day of grid electricity. In order to receive 24 hour electricity, you would have to run your generator for the balancing 20 hours. Given the cost of diesel per kWh is N70, that means that, on a 24 hour basis, your average cost of electricity is N62.25 per kWh. Compared to N15.5kWh's for Solar. And further, implicit in that statement is that 24 hour grid electricity will be here within 3 to 4 years. It most certainly will not. It is doubtful whether, given the current demand / supply deficit (remember this does not even account for the 50% of the population without ANY electricity), and the projected more than doubling of the population over the next 30 years (70% of the population is under 30), Nigeria will see total 24 hour grid electricity in either of our lifetimes - i'm 35 years young. And even if it did, the cost of it would probably be 3 to 4 times the cost of Solar Energy as explained above.

It really is a real 'no brainer'. The UK government just wishes we had the level of sunshine Nigeria gets. If it did, close to 50% of our 77,000MW production capacity would already be provided by the Sun.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by larrydan: 10:56pm On Sep 05, 2019
Barcholder:
Been here in Lagos nearly a week now, and fantastic progress made. We have partnered with DuPont, one of the world's largest Science and development companies, to incorporate their hi-tech, high performance panels into our installations.

We have had a great response from both businesses and consumers alike, and will shortly be shipping our first order. Its a very exciting time for all concerned, as we can see the future of Nigeria forming before our very eyes.

Please feel free to comment or ask any questions you have, and I'll be sure to respond to you.

Regards

Uvie
Dude, I haven't understood, what will do your installations and how this panels will boost the productivity of the process? Do you realy, want to say, that it will change the price for electrisity? Frankly speaking, I want it will be true, but I don't realy think it's possible, because there are some reasons, that confirm it . One of them can be seen at this site (www.strømtest.no), where is shown, that the price for electricity haven't changed significantly since 2003 in the Negeria. I wish you only luck, but I don't belive in you. Sry, dude.
Re: Cost Of Different Sources Of Electricity In Nigeria by gangbang86: 10:28pm On Sep 06, 2019
larrydan:

Dude, I haven't understood, what will do your installations and how this panels will boost the productivity of the process? Do you really, want to say, that it will change the price for electricity? Frankly speaking, I want it will be true, but I don't really think it's possible, because there are some reasons, that confirm it. One of them can be seen at this site (www.strømtest.no), where is shown, that the price for electricity haven't changed significantly since 2003 in the Nigeria. I wish you only luck, but I don't believe in you. Sorry, dude.

wow, that's great, so will I be able to check there the electricity price?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nnadi Chimaobi Michael Builds A Drone In Enugu (Photo, Video) / The Big Differences Between 4G And 5G / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.