Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,728 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? (2089 Views)

Why Elevate A Desperate Money-mongering Fellow Like Kanu? / When Will Nairaland Ban These War Mongering Fake Tribalist Threads ? / Bayelsa To Set-up Committee To Tackle Rumour-mongering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
The question that should bother every patriotic Nlander in the face of frequent BASELESS reports that hit front page of recent is whether NL is being converted to a rumour mongering forum?

Today, patriotic forumites were bombarded with yet another BASELESS report that hit front page few seconds after it was created, titled "Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigns?" https://www.nairaland.com/1251511/dr-christopher-kolade-sure-p-chairman

Some of us raised an alarm on why an unsubstantiated and baseless report should make front page with speed of light. Our protests fell on deaf ears as expected.

Few hours later, after the NL administrators, moderators and opposition e-warriors had danced naked in public, it was CONFIRMED that the report was a WiCKED LIE and mere rumour.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/128739-christopher-kolade-sure-p-boss-has-not-resigned-spokesperson.html

Two days ago, another BASELESS and MALICIOUS report titled "Boko Haram Rejects Amnesty Offer" hit front page few seconds after the thread was created in the politics section.
https://www.nairaland.com/1249522/redacted

Yours sincerely, scrutinized the report and discovered it was based on 2011 Vanguard News report
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/boko-haram-rejects-amnesty-offer/

Again, I protested and questioned the rationale behind moving an unscrutinized report to the front page. After several hours and amidst protest by other sensible Nlanders, the report was yanked off the front page. By then, some DAMAGE has been done because that same BASELESS report featured on some mainstream national dailies the following day.

The question then is who is trying to convert this great forum to a RUMOUR MONGERING forum? Is Seun aware of these immoral and wicked schemes? Is the PATHOLOGICAL HATRED for president Jonathan, beclouding the sense of judgement of the two moderators of the politics section? Cant the moderators and administrators do their job professionally?

2 Likes

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by oilyngbati3(m): 4:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
NL is like nigeria, where people get their news over a bottle of beer....little wonder you have proliferation of beer parlour all over the country, churning out "beer parlour" news. We even have pseudo-intellectuals on NL like katsumotio who duel on inuendo and falsehoods grin grin.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by otokx(m): 4:49pm On Apr 09, 2013
Its no rumor, there has not been any electricity in the University of Port Harcourt since Friday last week which incidentally was our matriculation ceremony.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Valto(m): 4:59pm On Apr 09, 2013
i tire for nairaland mods
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Sibrah: 5:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
Is Sincere9gerian bullying NL mods to protect my rep and career?
Somebody should please tell him NL is no rumour mongering site and that i have full control of the sites with the help of 40 other competent and paid agents. Sincere9gerian you work for me no doubt, but i don't give damn about you as long as my 2015 return ticket is secured.
Signed: Chairman, Team FreshAir.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Katsumoto: 5:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
NL is like nigeria, where people get their news over a bottle of beer....little wonder you have proliferation of beer parlour all over the country, churning out "beer parlour" news. We even have pseudo-intellectuals on NL like katsumotio who duel on inuendo and falsehoods grin grin.

Can you provide links to falsehoods that have been peddled by me? In 4 years, I have started less than 4 threads.

If you can't, then you are just another dolt looking for relevance.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Afam4eva(m): 5:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
@OP
I don't know if you noticed, but the topic in question has a question mark at the end of it which suggests that it's not substantiated and is open for debate. This is not a news site but a forum where people are supposed to discuss issues of anykind whether substantiated ones or possibilities or even rumours. That's why everyone has an account and every topic is not posted by Nairaland Admin.

6 Likes

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by awodman: 5:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
otokx: Its no rumor, there has not been any electricity in the University of Port Harcourt since Friday last week which incidentally was our matriculation ceremony.
Stop this your display of stupidity..I was in uniport on that same day for my younger brother's matriculation and thr was light..precisely I was in Kwame Nkurumah Extension hostel.I can only agree with you if u say the light is not stable.So stop trying to hoodwink us with these your old lines
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by naptu2: 5:40pm On Apr 09, 2013
Afam4eva: @OP
I don't know if you noticed, but the topic in question has a question mark at the end of it which suggests that it's not substantiated and is open for debate. This is not a news site but a forum where people are supposed to discuss issues of anykind whether substantiated ones or possibilities or even rumours. That's why everyone has an account and every topic is not posted by Nairaland Admin.

+100. Exactly! People haven't realised that nairaland is a discussion forum, not a news site. If something that is not true is posted, members will easily be able to disprove it during the discussion that follows.

Nairaland doesn't have reporters or editors that go to verify news stories.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Afam4eva: @OP
The question mark becomes irrelevant when you read the different comments made in the thread. Why the haste in pushing threads that tends to portray the govt in negative light to the front page? Would NL had suffered any damage if it waited to confirm the report? More over that was a news report that affects the image of the govt of day and should not be an issue to toy with.

By the way, I read your comment on the said thread and didn't look like you took note of the useless question mark. See your comment below:

Re: Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigns? by Afam4eva ( m ): 10:35am
The noble man must have seen that the thing is a charade and has towed the path of honour. It's only a criminal and a morally deficient individual that will continue been associated with failure.
( Quote ) ( Report ) 2 Likes ( Like )

It seems the question mark issue is an after thought.

By the way, there's a huge difference between "Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigns?" which was the title of the thread and "Has Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigned?" which is more like asking a question.

But the big question is why the haste in pushing any report that seems to portray the govt in bad light to the front page?

7 Likes

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by tpia5: 5:44pm On Apr 09, 2013
yes it is @ topic.

its a general thing.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Afam4eva(m): 5:45pm On Apr 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The question mark becomes irrelevant when you read the different comments made in the thread. Why the haste in pushing threads that tends to portray the govt in negative light to the front page? Would NL had suffered any damage if it waited to confirm the report?

By the way, I read your comment on the said thread and didn't look like you took note of the useless question mark. See your comment below:

The noble man must have seen that the thing is a charade and has towed the path of honour. It's only a criminal and a morally deficient individual that will continue been associated with failure.

It seems the question mark issue is an after thought.

By the way, there's a huge difference between "Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigns?" which was the title of the thread and "Has Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigned?" which more like asking a question.

But the big question is why the haste in pushing any report the seems to portray the govt in bad light to the front page?
Beside every topic, there's the name of the poster of the topic and it most likely will not read "nairaland Admin". It's left for subsequent poster to either support or counter such a topic by providing proof. Like i said, this is not a news site. It's a forum where anybody can create anything and i'm sure if you read Nairaland's TOS, it reads somewhere that nairaland as a forum is not liable for whatever anyone posts on here.

As for my post on that thread, i was giving the topc the benefit of the doubt. If at the end of the day, it's found that Dr Kolade did not resign, a topic will be created for it and it will most likely be put on the frontpage too.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by otokx(m): 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2013
awodman:
Stop this your display of stupidity..I was in uniport on that same day for my younger brother's matriculation and thr was light..precisely I was in Kwame Nkurumah Extension hostel.I can only agree with you if u say the light is not stable.So stop trying to hoodwink us with these your old lines

Mr display of stupidity, That was the school generator and it was only for some hours, you can call your junior brother to ask him when last he saw electricity from PHCN
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by dayokanu(m): 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2013
Insecure9jerians still crying ?
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
Beside every topic, there's the name of the poster of the topic and it most likely will not read "nairaland Admin". It's left for subsequent poster to either support or counter such a topic by providing proof. Like i said, this is not a news site. It's a forum where anybody can create anything and i'm sure if you read Nairaland's TOS, it reads somewhere that nairaland as a forum is not liable for whatever anyone posts on here.

As for my post on that thread, i was giving the topc the benefit of the doubt. If at the end of the day, it's found that Dr Kolade did not resign, a topic will be created for it and it will most likely be put on the frontpage too.

There's no point trying to dance naked again. Your comment is unambiguous and CATEGORICAL. Same with 99% of those who posted comment on that thread. You can read it again below:

And you got two undeserved likes for the post. Now how do we withdraw the likes now that the report is a confirmed wicked LIE? Lol...
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by superbloke(m): 5:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

Can you provide links to falsehoods that have been peddled by me? In 4 years, I have started less than 4 threads.

If you can't, then you are just another dolt looking for relevance.
You have time to even respond to the guy. He doesn't deserve the attention he's trying to get.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
There's no point trying to dance naked again. Your comment is unambiguous and CATEGORICAL. Same with 99% of those who posted comment on that thread. You can read it again below:

And you got two wonderful likes for it

Whatever people post is their personal opinion and mine was not in the capacity as a Nairaland mod. People post whichever way they want and there are no rules against that aand that's something we have to learn to live with.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
@Sincere 9gerian, if I might add, you've exhibited an uncanny ability for embellishment yourself - something akin to spreading rumours grin Or how else should one locate your demonstrative fervour for touting comatose and paper-based projects as the real deal cheesy

Contrived disclaimer: I am only pulling your legs... Even your detractors recognise your admirable efforts at image-laundering for Oga at the very top.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Katsumoto: 5:56pm On Apr 09, 2013
superbloke:
You have time to even respond to the guy. He doesn't deserve the attention he's trying to get.

You get but my response wasn't even for him. wink
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by otokx(m): 5:58pm On Apr 09, 2013
eGuerrilla: @Sincere 9gerian, if I might add, you've exhibited an uncanny ability for embellishment yourself - something akin to spreading rumours grin Or how else should one locate your demonstrative fervour for touting comatose and paper-based projects as the real deal cheesy

Contrived disclaimer: I am only pulling your legs... Even your detractors recognise your admirable efforts at image-laundering for Oga at the very top.

no be small image laundering; we should be objective, electricity in Nigeria has been worse this first quarter of 2013 than the entire 2012 in Port Harcourt where my body operates. We are hearing the same thing is happening in hitherto excellent areas like Abuja and Lagos yet some people will be telling us of power projects being commissioned here and there.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Katsumoto: 6:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
naptu2:

+100. Exactly! People propagandists haven't realised that nairaland is a discussion forum, not a news site. If something that is not true is posted, members will easily be able to disprove it during the discussion that follows.

Only image makers can't make that distinction. They want to have the ability to lock up media outlets or why would a sane person be having issues with comments on a discussion board? Even on media sites such as BBC and CNN, users are allowed to make comments.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 09, 2013
naptu2:

+100. Exactly! People haven't realised that nairaland is a discussion forum, not a news site. If something that is not true is posted, members will easily be able to disprove it during the discussion that follows.

There's on point trying hide atrocities committed by shameless moderators under "discussion forum". This forum serves multi-purpose, including discussion, interaction, education, entertainent, news reports, socialization,etc A look at the front page will confirm all of those.

I wrote earlier that the false report on the Boko haram amnesty rejection, that made front page two days ago, appeared on major national dailies the following day. I know for sure that it appeared on Tribune and Vanguard.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by awodman: 6:06pm On Apr 09, 2013
otokx:

Mr display of stupidity, That was the school generator and it was only for some hours, you can call your junior brother to ask him when last he saw electricity from PHCN
My friend STFU!!! YOUR SCHOOL GENERATOR ONLY COMES ON BY 7PM .If you wanna go further to argue that its because its a matriculation day,then maybe you can give me a reason why thr was light yesterday between the hours of 5-6:30 PM,cos I was in your school around that time yesterday.
Like I said earlier if you say its nt stable then I agree with you,but saying there is no light at all is a blatant falsehood
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by eggheaders(m): 6:08pm On Apr 09, 2013
insecure9ja,always crying like baby.I hope you are not a fuccktard in real life as you portrays here.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by mysticgal(f): 6:12pm On Apr 09, 2013
i dunno of others,my posts reflects me,what i do and what affects humans in general,but giving false news is bad.so i come here for fun.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 09, 2013
Afam4eva:

Whatever people post is their personal opinion and mine was not in the capacity as a Nairaland mod. People post whichever way they want and there are no rules against that aand that's something we have to learn to live with.
Why should NL be creating an atmosphere for people to express negative personal opinion towards the govt? Because that's exactly what you do by moving BASELESS and unsubstantiated sensitive reports to the front page? What would NL lose if they wait a few seconds and confirm reports about sensitive issues before moving it to the front page?

If we go by the silly arguement you try to put forward, it means one day you'll move an unsubstantiated report about a military coup to the front page. Nonsense!
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by superbloke(m): 6:16pm On Apr 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
There's on point trying hide atrocities committed by shameless moderators under "discussion forum". This forum serves multi-purpose, including discussion, interaction, education, entertainent, news reports, socialization,etc A look at the front page will confirm all of those.

I wrote earlier that the false report on the Boko haram amnesty rejection, that made front page two days ago, appeared on major national dailies the following day. I know for sure that it appeared on Tribune and Vanguard.
Now this isn't making sense anymore. Are trying to say Tribune and Vanguard got their stories from unsubstantiated reports on nairaland? I for one saw the reports on one of the dailies first before nairaland, and it said something like " a faction " rejecting the amnesty.
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by ochukoccna: 6:17pm On Apr 09, 2013
The topics Insincere 9gerian pointed out have to do with online& real life vocal pummelling creekJoe has been recieving of late
My advice to you&the remaining lapdogs is to stop FIGHTING A LOST CAUSE
Ebele Jonathan's time is up
Too bad you all can't hear the deafening chorus of GO EBELE GO from Kano to Ijebu back to Abakaliki and Otupko
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 09, 2013
eggheaders: insecure9ja,always crying like baby.I hope you are not a fuccktard in real life as you portrays here.
Why are you ALWAYS whinning and crying about the FG? Hypocrite!
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by dayokanu(m): 6:20pm On Apr 09, 2013
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
superbloke:
Now this isn't making sense anymore. Are trying to say Tribune and Vanguard got their stories from unsubstantiated reports on nairaland? I for one saw the reports on one of the dailies first before nairaland, and it said something like " a faction " rejecting the amnesty.
I'm telling you on my honour that SAME report appeared on Tribune and Vanguard of Monday.

I even created a thread on that of Vanguard. See it below:
https://www.nairaland.com/1250563/boko-haram-conspiracies-frustrate-amnesty
Re: Is Nairaland Now A Rumour Mongering Forum? by Afam4eva(m): 6:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Why should NL be creating an atmosphere for people to express negative personal opinion towards the govt? Because that's exactly what you do by moving BASELESS and unsubstantiated sensitive reports to the front page? What would NL lose if they wait a few seconds and confirm reports about sensitive issues before moving it to the front page?

If we go by the silly arguement you try to put forward, it means one day you'll move an unsubstantiated report about a military coup to the front page. Nonsense!
Personal opinion is personal opinion whether positive or negative. Must every one speak good of JOnathan? Aren't people entitled to their opinions any longer. Are you not indicting yourself because you also say some hurtful things about ACN and Tinubu and i do too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria,s/africa Cyber War Re-ignited / PDP Thrashes APC Again / APC releases timetable for party primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.