Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,877 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? (6478 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 10:38am On Apr 10, 2013
It beats my imagination why most car owners prefer the ordinary piece of paper that does not provide any cover (obtained from licencing offices) to the genuine third party insurance that costs N5000 only and protects them for up to N1million in third party liabilities (from registered insurance companies)

Often they argue that insurance companies do not pay claims, whereas they have not experience such on their own.

The are also oblivious of the several avenues for complaints set up by insurance industry bodies like NAICOM and NIA to address complaints against insurance companies.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by DisGuy: 12:15pm On Apr 10, 2013
Benaig: It beats my imagination why most car owners prefer the ordinary piece of paper that does not provide any cover (obtained from licencing offices) to the genuine third party insurance that costs N5000 only and protects them for up to N1million in third party liabilities (from registered insurance companies)

Often they argue that insurance companies do not pay claims, whereas they have not experience such on their own.

The are also oblivious of the several avenues for complaints set up by insurance industry bodies like NAICOM and NIA to address complaints against insurance companies.

word of mouth is a powerful tool, customer generally recommend good service/products

there are several avenues set up by NEPA/PHCN for complaints i wonder how effective those are...

I'd like to know the answer too

2 Likes

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by kokoye(m): 2:27pm On Apr 10, 2013
pennywise pound foolish or better still...kobowise; naira foolish

If you have been in a crash, noone will beg you before you get a real insurance
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fhemmmy: 2:29pm On Apr 10, 2013
That is cos people are yet to really understand the effect and the need for it . . .

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Tsmooth1(m): 2:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
Mtcheew! which stupid car insurance?...
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fhemmmy: 2:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
T-smooth:

What makes you feel like it is silly . . .
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by otokx(m): 2:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
Those 3rd party insurance papers are only useful in keeping you from the wiles of the policeman and maybe FRSC. In the case of an accident you will have to bear the cost especially when you are at fault.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by DisGuy: 2:40pm On Apr 10, 2013
kokoye: pennywise pound foolish or better still...kobowise; naira foolish

If you have been in a crash, noone will beg you before you get a real insurance

ever been to lagos? theres a crash every minute and people still dont get insurance, they just hold everyone up negotiating price of repair.... there must be a reason

thousands of crash in Lagos, theres must be something putting people off, seemingly educated comfortably people
with 'expensive' cars ; I still wonder why they are more likely to buy a tracking device but wont get insurance

2 Likes

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fhemmmy: 2:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

ever been to lagos? theres a crash every minute and people still dont get insurance, they just hold everyone up negotiating price of repair.... there must be a reason

Are you serious?
I am told that the insurance coy are not paying up . . . .
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2013
T-smooth:

Those who know that it is better to obtain genuine insurance would NOT call it silly or stupid because:

1. It covers you for up to N1m in third party damages
2. Covers legal expenses/costs in the event of third party claims
3. Death benefits of third parties is unlimited depending on status of victim
4. Covers medical expenses resulting from injuries to third parties while using your vehicle.
5. Allows you to report grievances to NAICOM and NIA against defaulting insurance companies without going to court and you get justice.

WHY go for an ordinary piece of paper that provides nothing?
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by DisGuy: 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Are you serious?

same here, lengthy paper work and plenty of oyinbo
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

thousands of crash in Lagos, theres must be something putting people off, seemingly educated comfortably people
with 'expensive' cars ; I still wonder why they are more likely to buy a tracking device but wont get insurance

Which people are not getting insurance claims paid? I have a friend who paid N40,000 for comprehensive insurance and has been paid claims for two separate accidents within the last six months of starting the policy - the two payments made within two weeks of the accidents- and his policy has not expired.

Want his number to confirm? He runs a furniture factory at Okota.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 2:51pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

same here, lengthy paper work and plenty of oyinbo

Which company spoke plenty of oyinbo with you without paying?
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fhemmmy: 2:51pm On Apr 10, 2013
Benaig:

Which people are not getting insurance claims paid? I have a friend who paid N40,000 for comprehensive insurance and has been paid claims for two separate accidents within the last six months of starting the policy - the two payments made within two weeks of the accidents- and his policy has not expired.

Want his number to confirm? He runs a furniture factory at Okota.

I am sure this will make more people understands that this is not as bad as people are thinking . . . .
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by NLGwoodey: 2:52pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

Because that will get your car fixed faster.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
otokx: Those 3rd party insurance papers are only useful in keeping you from the wiles of the policeman and maybe FRSC. In the case of an accident you will have to bear the cost especially when you are at fault.

It is only the fake third party papers that you cannot claim with. Go to a registered insurance company and tell us which one will fail to pay your claim for third party liability even when you are at fault.

It is to protect you even when you are at fault against third parties

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Are you serious?

WHO told you? which type of policy was involved and which insurance company?

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 10, 2013
insurance claims are always a looong thing.
thats the issue.

for me the insurance is against a major incicdent

there was this time my car was bashed, and i made up my mind i would not fix until the money came through. i was driving with a busted fender for 3 months .

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by otokx(m): 3:09pm On Apr 10, 2013
Benaig:

It is only the fake third party papers that you cannot claim with. Go to a registered insurance company and tell us which one will fail to pay your claim for third party liability even when you are at fault.

It is to protect you even when you are at fault against third parties

Tell that to the birds, even brand new cars that have full insurance when issues come out you have to visit and visit and visit the insurance companies before they will pay a part of it.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2013
[quote author=T-smooth]Mtcheew! which stupid car insurance?...[/quote

You do not own a car, so i understand your response perfectly well. I do not only have car insurance, i have home guard, children education, fire and burglary, etc.

At least the only one i have suffered which is my car, the insurance fixed it to the tune of about N450k.

When you grow, you will understand.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2013
otokx: Those 3rd party insurance papers are only useful in keeping you from the wiles of the policeman and maybe FRSC. In the case of an accident you will have to bear the cost especially when you are at fault.

Ignorance running wild...
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by DisGuy: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2013
Benaig:

WHO told you? which type of policy was involved and which insurance company?

you keep asking this question....why do YOU THINK MANY CAR OWNERS ignore insurance
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:17pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

I am very careful not to hit you, but if i am in the wrong, i sign off papers for you and give you my insurance particulars, you sort it out with them, they will fix you up and fix me too, because i carry comprehensive insurance on all my cars.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Maleeq(m): 3:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
otokx: @benaig

if you are representing an insurance company and want to sell your product let us know so that we may patronize your products if we are interested.
Abi o? Instead of long talk! cheesy
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by DisGuy: 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2013
hardbody:

I am very careful not to hit you, but if i am in the wrong, i sign off papers for you and give you my insurance particulars, you sort it out with them, they will fix you up and fix me too, because i carry comprehensive insurance on all my cars.

I know how insurance is meant to work...Im just asking if you hit lukman the danfo driver, will he actually take this from paper from you without causing a scene and holding everybody up on the main road
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2013
otokx: @benaig

if you are representing an insurance company and want to sell your product let us know so that we may patronize your products if we are interested.

My people perish for lack of knowledge. I had an accident with my toks Honda Bullet along lag - Ib expressway. My mechanic negotiated and agreed cost of repairs with the insurance company and I was paid in less than one month.

That is my true personal experience.

It will be foolhardy for me to go about with mere pieces of paper on the mere heresay that insurance companies do not pay.

GO GET GENUINE INSURANCE FROM ANY REGISTERED COMPANY
REPORT ANY DISSATISFACTION TO NAICOM or NIG INSURERS ASSOCIATION if unfairy treated

I dont have to work in an insurance firm to help disabuse the minds of people.

Thank you.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 3:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

I know how insurance is meant to work...Im just asking if you hit lukman the danfo driver, will he actually take this from paper from you without causing a scene and holding everybody up on the main road

You can take the danfo driver to your mechanic or his mechanic and call up your insurance company to meet you there for negotiation. You wont pay in the middle of the road, will you?

You can also pay and present the papers - pictures of the accident to your insurance company to reimburse you, as far as you call them up on phone to inform them when it occured.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by blank(f): 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
I insured with Insurance PHB (Comprehensive insurance). I had two separate accidents. When it came to time to pay, come and see negotiation. They paid less than 10% of the cost to fix the car and not even up to the premium I paid. This was after more than 2 months.

Now, I just do 3rd party and don't bother with any yeye insurance coy cos I no get strength for their back and forth and lies upon lies.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

you keep asking this question....why do YOU THINK MANY CAR OWNERS ignore insurance

Many car owners ignore insurance because of persistent ignorance and disbelief. A stereotype of what they were told and insisting on following the cheap avenue of not buying genuine insurance

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by otokx(m): 3:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
blank: I insured with Insurance PHB (Comprehensive insurance). I had two separate accidents. When it came to time to pay, come and see negotiation. They paid less than 10% of the cost to fix the car and not even up to the premium I paid. This was after more than 2 months.

Now, I just do 3rd party and don't bother with any yeye insurance coy cos I no get strength for their back and forth and lies upon lies.

That is the normal thing that happens in Nigeria, when you have money just close eye repair next time drive carefully and pray that the person who hits you will also have the same spirit.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:48pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

word of mouth is a powerful tool, customer generally recommend good service/products

there are several avenues set up by NEPA/PHCN for complaints i wonder how effective those are...

I'd like to know the answer too

NEPA/PHCN are government run, all te insurance companies (with the exception of a few) are owned and run by organized private sector businessmen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Volkswagen Passat V8 For Sale. 250k / How Gazzuzz charged me / Basic Tools Required To Set Up An Auto Service Workshop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.