Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,734 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? (6484 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 8:56am On Apr 11, 2013
chucky234: All my cars has lead assurance papers attached with their docs but I never for once bother to ask if they are fake,beside I don't think I can be that patient to wait for months for insurance company to fix my car after a crash when I can easily take it to the mechanic workshop to have it fixed.

simply visit www.askniid.org click on check a policy type in the vehicle reg no to confirm if it is insured validly and in the nigerian insurance industry database. You are breaking the law if you are not validly insured as the law makes insurance compulsory
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by donchisel: 9:03am On Apr 11, 2013
Benaig:

Those who know that it is better to obtain genuine insurance would NOT call it silly or stupid because:

1. It covers you for up to N1m in third party damages
2. Covers legal expenses/costs in the event of third party claims
3. Death benefits of third parties is unlimited depending on status of victim
4. Covers medical expenses resulting from injuries to third parties while using your vehicle.
5. Allows you to report grievances to NAICOM and NIA against defaulting insurance companies without going to court and you get justice.

WHY go for an ordinary piece of paper that provides nothing?
Benaig:

Those who know that it is better to obtain genuine insurance would NOT call it silly or stupid because:

1. It covers you for up to N1m in third party damages
2. Covers legal expenses/costs in the event of third party claims
3. Death benefits of third parties is unlimited depending on status of victim
4. Covers medical expenses resulting from injuries to third parties while using your vehicle.
5. Allows you to report grievances to NAICOM and NIA against defaulting insurance companies without going to court and you get justice.

WHY go for an ordinary piece of paper that provides nothing?
[quote author=Benaig]

Clear reason why i wish to pay nothing, if not for government support to save insurance industry. Non of your statement above contain 'IF' which happens to be commonest word in your policies. Please tell the insurance industry to stop deiciving people. By God's grace, it still cheaper to fund unexpected repairs or deaths that may occur to third party, than having to pay for legal services to interpreting/making insurance claims.

Caveat emptor: 1. I will rather spend more (from multiple providers) on c-track that spend a kobo on the so-called comprehensive insurance.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 9:18am On Apr 11, 2013
donchisel: [b][/b]

Just ensure your third party is not a fake. Visit www.askniid.org input your vehicle reg no after clicking on check a policy - thats the database of insurance in nigeria.

soon police will check with devices being supplied to them and the fines for fakes would be embarrassing and time wasting.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 8:21am On Apr 12, 2013
donchisel: [b][/b]

Also, once the tracked car goes out of coverage area, it cannot be traced.
Insurance companies provide free tracking and also pay when vehicle is damaged.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by spikesC(m): 9:05am On Apr 12, 2013
Benaig:

Also, once the tracked car goes out of coverage area, it cannot be traced.
Insurance companies provide free tracking and also pay when vehicle is damaged.

what of when it is stolen
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 13, 2013
spikes C:

This is so uncalled for, u talk like a kid without experience. Here's not america nor UK. And you don't even have the right to talk to him that way.

Do you know how much it costs to pursue a case? The time and the resources? You think u know a damn thing about the law?

Ask the op, he knows there're more than 1000 and 1 ways to discharge a claim. Insurance companies are worst than lawyers. They would never tell u the truth or the real details about the fine print.

I would suggest u debate maturely than resourting to insults.

I'm really sorry if I sounded rude, the way most nigerians think just make me say what I don't wanna say. But I'm sorry.

@the bolded, that's why you should have an attorney (lawyer), he should be the one to interpret the 'terms and conditions' for you. Ofcourse you wouldn't understand it properly as a layman. And if you don't have a lawyer, you just pay one to 'decode' what is written. And when you also see things are not going the way it was explained to you by your lawyer, you call him again. If he feels its not right, he will issue out a court injunction/ warning or whatever to the firm (most cases don't pass this level before it is rectified as the companies wouldn't wanna ruin their reputation or loose their licence in the long run), if this fails is when you petition. This thing is not as complicated as most nigerians see it (another stereotype). If you understood what you were getting into then you discovered you are being cheated, then fight for it or you accept your fate and shut up forever (don't come and discourage others with your 'experience'. In which you also have your fault).
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by beey2(m): 1:14pm On Apr 13, 2013
speedyboi:

This thing is not as complicated as most nigerians see it (another stereotype). If you understood what you were getting into then you discovered you are being cheated, then fight for it or you accept your fate and shut up forever (don't come and discourage others with your 'experience'. In which you also have your fault).

Thank you 4 d above. I'm an insurance person, I actually agreed dt. Some insurance company dont pay claims but most time due to insured's faults because some even claim to know d law but failed to read and comprehend the policy terms n conditions of the Contact of Insurance, better still let them contact Insurance Brokers......I'm sure will be bombarded with lotta questions abt this too.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by infolpf: 5:54pm On Apr 13, 2013
Insurance companies are not working hard enough to advertise and educate.
Their failure.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by blank(f): 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2013
speedyboi:

I'm really sorry if I sounded rude, the way most nigerians think just make me say what I don't wanna say. But I'm sorry.

@the bolded, that's why you should have an attorney (lawyer), he should be the one to interpret the 'terms and conditions' for you. Ofcourse you wouldn't understand it properly as a layman. And if you don't have a lawyer, you just pay one to 'decode' what is written. And when you also see things are not going the way it was explained to you by your lawyer, you call him again. If he feels its not right, he will issue out a court injunction/ warning or whatever to the firm (most cases don't pass this level before it is rectified as the companies wouldn't wanna ruin their reputation or loose their licence in the long run), if this fails is when you petition. This thing is not as complicated as most nigerians see it (another stereotype). If you understood what you were getting into then you discovered you are being cheated, then fight for it or you accept your fate and shut up forever (don't come and discourage others with your 'experience'. In which you also have your fault).

Listen to yourself, do u think u are making sense? I should get a lawyer. - should shut up when u treat me badly. I will continue sharing my bad experiences and will ALWAYS mention the name of the horrible insurance provider. At least, other people can learn from my errors.
All u insurance marketers are all the same. Hungry for my premium and then to hell with everything else.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Apr 13, 2013
This is one of the reasons Nigeria won't change for the better.

It would appear drivers prefer the fake insurance documents for one simple reason - cost. Not everyone here has had to make a claim, and see if it gets paid or not. The fact a friend or relative may say "I tried to claim, and got nothing", or "my claim took two months to come through" is enough to refuse to insure an automobile.

This bad habit - refusing to insure an automobile follows the average Nigerian even when they've left Nigeria, and relocated to the West, where there's no excuse not to insure an automobile! I've got Nigerian friends here who's automobile have been impounded for lack of insurance. Last week, a friend called me, asking if i could insure his car in my name, so his seized 2008 Range Rover Sport could be released. I declined, his RR will most likely be crushed. He's already lost two cars in the last three years due to lack of insurance.

Old habits truly die hard.

And before some smart alec pipes up, with "you don't live in Nigeria, you don't know how things work in Nigeria", that won't wash. I lived in Nigeria, and had my first car at the age of 17. A Volkswagen Beetle 1303S. I didn't drive that car for two weeks, while my insurance was being sorted out. My parents drummed it into me from an early age that no insurance - no driving. My parents too were always insured, my mom made a claim against her policy, when her Peugeot 504 GL was wrecked. Fully comp, they paid out just over a month later. Things are slow in Nigeria, but they do work.

With all the excuses I've heard here for choosing not to insure an automobile - "I can fix it myself", "It's not worth the stress", "I refuse to give money to thieves" etc. It's all about "my car". What happens if you as an uninsured driver runs down a pedestrian, a child, a pregnant woman etc? Suppose you maim someone for life, and they require lifelong care, are you really going to pay for that treatment, which will run into millions?

Insurance is not just for your automobile, it covers pedestrian, and passengers in your car, as well as passengers and driver in an automobile belonging to a third party.

An uninsured driver has no right to be in charge of an automobile, unless it's on a private road, no if's or but's.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 8:23am On Apr 14, 2013
[quote . I will continue sharing my bad experiences and will ALWAYS mention the name of the horrible insurance provider.

Like I said, kindly provide your claim number and vehicle reg number. What reason did PHB give? It has to be revisited.
I know their corporate affairs mgr.
Pls dont say its been 3 yrs.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by beey2(m): 8:28am On Apr 14, 2013
blank:

Listen to yourself, do u think u are making sense? I should get a lawyer. - should shut up when u treat me badly. I will continue sharing my bad experiences and will ALWAYS mention the name of the horrible insurance provider. At least, other people can learn from my errors.
All u insurance marketers are all the same. Hungry for my premium and then to hell with everything else.

Suffice to advice that u make direct contact with your insurer's office (Insurance Company) or Broker n stop d gibrish talk about hungry agent. Can u also tell us the sense in driving without VALID insurace COVER because people like u never actually tried d part of the just before the law. World over the practice is what I'm telling u trust me sooner VIO will impound ur car n when dt happened ........I'm sorry o

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 14, 2013
blank:

And did you prove it beyond any reasonable doubt that you actually have their insurance? NO! Which makes your point invalid. and if you are wise, you will know there's a better way to present your case which will even benefit you. But you prefer to be shouting about, na you sabi. And I'm not even an insurance marketer...what I know is that law is not that complicated if you understand it.

To those saying insurance takes 1 or 2 months before paying claim. Its a normal shii everywhere. The company have to verify your claim and also confirm if its truely an accident or manmade.
I attended a seminar last year and I got to learn people actually fake accidents just to get insurance claims and to become Rich. Various experiences were given as example. Like a situation whereby, someone packs all the valuable stuffs out of the house and deliberately sets the house on fire; you know that means he is going to get a new house and everything in the house that he registered...he's probably going to sell all the old properties and cash on it.
Another experience was given whereby a man removed the car engine, the lights and other expensive stuffs and he hired a trailer to crush the car beyond recognition. Then he said he was traveling, he dropped to pee and that's how the trailer ran into the parked car. If not for investigations, these guys wouldve been paid. And you know nigerians can lie to wake the dead.

So insurance not paying claims till after a month or two is a normal thing.

Life assurance can even take upto a year....I don't know if some people can go as far as faking their death.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 14, 2013
bee-y:

Suffice to advice that u make direct contact with your insurer's office (Insurance Company) or Broker n stop d gibrish talk about hungry agent. Can u also tell us the sense in driving without VALID insurace COVER because people like u never actually tried d part of the just before the law. World over the practice is what I'm telling u trust me sooner VIO will impound ur car n when dt happened ........I'm sorry o

---he/she will abuse nigerian system. Nigerians have never taken the blame for whatever happens to them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup / Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise / Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.