Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? (6486 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:52pm On Apr 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

I know how insurance is meant to work...Im just asking if you hit lukman the danfo driver, will he actually take this from paper from you without causing a scene and holding everybody up on the main road

YES he will, what are the options? Guy forget oo. I dont fight or engage in abuses on the road, no way. You say i was in the wrong, ok. How much is the damage? Ok. talk to my insurance company, simple. If Lukman refuses, the next option is to call the police and ask them to tow away both vehicles, Lukman will suddenly realize that his means of livelihood is getting punctuated, he will rethink. As for me, if the car gets towed away, i will call for another car taht will pick me from that spot. Leave matter joor
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by hardbody: 3:55pm On Apr 10, 2013
Benaig:

My people perish for lack of knowledge. I had an accident with my toks Honda Bullet along lag - Ib expressway. My mechanic negotiated and agreed cost of repairs with the insurance company and I was paid in less than one month.

That is my true personal experience.

It will be foolhardy for me to go about with mere pieces of paper on the mere heresay that insurance companies do not pay.

GO GET GENUINE INSURANCE FROM ANY REGISTERED COMPANY
REPORT ANY DISSATISFACTION TO NAICOM or NIG INSURERS ASSOCIATION if unfairy treated

I dont have to work in an insurance firm to help disabuse the minds of people.

Thank you.

Guy free these people abeg.

Some do not own cars, others own but would not do the right thing. They will come backlater and start blaming the insurance companies.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by AroComputerCe(m): 4:06pm On Apr 10, 2013
Some years ago, my neigbour registered his car with an insurance firm in Edo state. For many years, he used to pay his premium promptly. At a time he slacked and was now paying few days after the premium had expired. This practice continued for some months when the unexpected happened. His vehicle was snatched away. He took the case to his insurance company. He was told that his premium expired a week earlier. As such the man could not get any compensation. From that point, I concluded that it was useless to insure ones vehicle. But come to think of it. How many individuals in this country with genuine insurance get compensation. I hear of only the rich men and women; and companies. Untill the insurance companies themselves practice the profession as it is done internationally, you will not get much customers. First build confidence and trust by prompt settlement of claims.

2 Likes

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2013
Please name such reliable insurance companies as you people claim. Waiting patiently.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 4:30pm On Apr 10, 2013
otokx:

Tell that to the birds, even brand new cars that have full insurance when issues come out you have to visit and visit and visit the insurance companies before they will pay a part of it.

Insurance is a contract agreed upon at the beginning.
If you are not satisfied with the way you are treated, you have the right to:

1. Complain to the regulator to intervene
2. Go to court to seek redress and all costs including legal fees incurred.
3. Surrender and dismiss the companies as no good thus waiving your rights and leaving you in future to:

a. cough out fresh funds to replace your vehicle if stolen or damaged (God help you if that does not affect your finances adversely)

b. face the ordeal of being "car less" until you can recover (God forbid)

If you have a car or other assets, choice is yours to have something you can argue about (valid cover)or nothing at all to argue about.

3 Likes

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fellonigerians: 4:31pm On Apr 10, 2013
Sometimes the difference between the fake and real one is not much...

Some Nigerians always think they are smart, but most times end up looking stupid...
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fellonigerians: 5:14pm On Apr 10, 2013
Aro Computer Ce: Some years ago, my neigbour registered his car with an insurance firm in Edo state. For many years, he used to pay his premium promptly. At a time he slacked and was now paying few days after the premium had expired. This practice continued for some months when the unexpected happened. His vehicle was snatched away. He took the case to his insurance company. He was told that his premium expired a week earlier. As such the man could not get any compensation. From that point, I concluded that it was useless to insure ones vehicle. But come to think of it. How many individuals in this country with genuine insurance get compensation. I hear of only the rich men and women; and companies. Untill the insurance companies themselves practice the profession as it is done internationally, you will not get much customers. First build confidence and trust by prompt settlement of claims.

What is the name of the insurance company
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fellonigerians: 5:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
blank: I insured with Insurance PHB (Comprehensive insurance). I had two separate accidents. When it came to time to pay, come and see negotiation. They paid less than 10% of the cost to fix the car and not even up to the premium I paid. This was after more than 2 months.

Now, I just do 3rd party and don't bother with any yeye insurance coy cos I no get strength for their back and forth and lies upon lies.

Maybe you didnt read the terms of the insurance well... It is an agreement, and you have your own obligations, just like a tenancy agreement where tenant and landlord have their duties...
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 10, 2013
hardbody:

Many car owners ignore insurance because of persistent ignorance and disbelief. A stereotype of what they were told and insisting on following the cheap avenue of not buying genuine insurance

Gbam! And that's how they do with virtually everything. They stereotype things through misconceptions and rumours. Plus, they won't even bother to find out the truth, they hang on to their insane belief.

My Bro, the mindset of most nigerians is just a pathetic case
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 10, 2013
all you people with nice stories - NAME the companies

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 5:30pm On Apr 10, 2013
blank: I insured with Insurance PHB (Comprehensive insurance). I had two separate accidents. When it came to time to pay, come and see negotiation. They paid less than 10% of the cost to fix the car and not even up to the premium I paid. This was after more than 2 months.

Now, I just do 3rd party and don't bother with any yeye insurance coy cos I no get strength for their back and forth and lies upon lies.

Please post your policy number and the claim number(s). This matter will be investigated after contacting the company.
include your email for a follow up. Do not say you want it buried.

One out of the several companies MAY still misbehave because some people are not ready to enforce their rights but give up easily.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 5:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
smartchoice: Please name such reliable insurance companies as you people claim. Waiting patiently.

Leadway, Consolidated Hallmark, Mansard, Custodian to mention but a few.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by chegson: 6:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
Many vehicle owners belief that the main purpose of insurance is to have something to present to the police at check points. Another reason is that most people do not have confidence in insurance companies. They see it as a waste of money buying insurance cover for N5000 when fake insurance worth N300 is available at the same licensing office. It is the belief of most people that things should be sorted out among parties whenever accident occurs instead of wasting their time visiting insurance companies that will not respond to their claims.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by spikesC(m): 7:40pm On Apr 10, 2013
You're tackling this problem from a wrong angle. Why do FG still ask us to pay for insurance but they do not pay claims. Why are we forced to pay insurance at all without a benefits being gauranteed. The average driver doesn't even know what the insurance means.

Now ask yourself, if papa nkechi the danfo driver doesnt get any benefit with the 300 naira insurance, why would he get the 5000 naira own.

So pls, educate the people instead of blaming them undecided
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by DisGuy: 7:48pm On Apr 10, 2013
spikes C: You're tackling this problem from a wrong angle. Why do FG still ask us to pay for insurance but they do not pay claims. Why are we forced to pay insurance at all without a benefits being gauranteed. The average driver doesn't even know what the insurance means.

Now ask yourself, if papa nkechi the danfo driver doesnt get any benefit with the 300 naira insurance, why would he get the 5000 naira own.

So pls, educate the people instead of blaming them undecided

its the Nigerian way, you must blame the consumers and never the providers

Why are those micro insurance accepted by the Police? Why are they present in the registration office
if larger insurance companies are losing money and public confidence why dont they do something about their poor service
and dogon turanci tactics
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by dustydee: 7:51pm On Apr 10, 2013
Made claims twice- first with Leadway and the second with IEI both took roughly 2 months to pay. The second payment way close to 2 million because the car was written off. In the first case they also fixed the other car. Both were comprehensive.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Denn(m): 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2013
A friend had a crash with a brand new car less than a month after purchase.

Leadway paid 90% of repair cost exactly one month later.

Repair was done at Dana motors and was done to factory standard.

The only cost was the waiting time and 10% (less than 40k)

If you still have the mindset that insurance doesn't work, well, it's your mind.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Policewoman(f): 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2013
Because of Penny wise Pound Foolish mentality.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Fhemmmy: 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2013
Denn: A friend had a crash with a brand new car less than a month after purchase.

Leadway paid 90% of repair cost exactly one month later.

Repair was done at Dana motors and was done to factory standard.

The only cost was the waiting time and 10% (less than 40k)

If you still have the mindset that insurance doesn't work, well, it's your mind.

Dont blame them, it is called "what they are used to" it will take time for them to be educated.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by blank(f): 8:39pm On Apr 10, 2013
Benaig:

Please post your policy number and the claim number(s). This matter will be investigated after contacting the company.
include your email for a follow up. Do not say you want it buried.

One out of the several companies MAY still misbehave because some people are not ready to enforce their rights but give up easily.

This happened up to 3 yrs ago. I can't be bothered to look for the documents as I paid from my own pocket. All these people with their cool stories of how their insurance companies paid is a load of bullcrap. Insurance coys are predators preying on the ignorant. If anything happens to my cars, I will pay out of my pocket rather than pay premiums to thieves.

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by chucky234(m): 8:55pm On Apr 10, 2013
All my cars has lead assurance papers attached with their docs but I never for once bother to ask if they are fake,beside I don't think I can be that patient to wait for months for insurance company to fix my car after a crash when I can easily take it to the mechanic workshop to have it fixed.

2 Likes

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
blank:

This happened up to 3 yrs ago. I can't be bothered to look for the documents as I paid from my own pocket. All these people with their cool stories of how their insurance companies paid is a load of bullcrap. Insurance coys are predators preying on the ignorant. If anything happens to my cars, I will pay out of my pocket rather than pay premiums to thieves.

The above is another reason why i said Nigerians have got one hell of an insane mindset. Companies not wanting to keep to agreement terms happen everywhere around the world. You are supposed to petition such companies....it's your right!It seems Nigerians are just as clueless as their leaders. So a company refused to keep up with their agreement policy (no matter how small your premium is) and instead of you to fight for your right, you preferred to forget about it? You be confirmed MUMU to the core! Only Nigerians would do such! and the insurance company saw you that way; that's why you were treated that way. Like seriously? So because of your stupidity you've decided to tag all Insurance in Nigeria as Scam? smh.....naija people sha...

1 Like

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by dhardline(m): 9:39pm On Apr 10, 2013
The Nigerian mentality:when an insurance refuses to pay a claim cause of the clients error the whole world hears it but if they pay he keeps the good news to him self.Nigerians wake up,loads of peeps are being paid on a daily bases.thats why the rich gets richer and the poor stay where they are cause of the Lack of credible information
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
Good what is the spread of these coys you just mentioned in Nigeria? So if I stay in Akure/Kabba I simply can't access them so the fake one remains my most viable option!

Leadway, Consolidated Hallmark, Mansard, Custodian to mention but a few. [/quote]
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by skyfall: 10:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
@OP

It seems you're here to sell a product, otherwise I wonder why you have to force your opinions on us as if we're schoolchildren. Lagosians don't bother about original/verifiable 3rd-party insurance, not necessarily due to ignorance but because of the lenghty paper- & legwork.

Lagosians are ALWAYS in a hurry and don't have time trying to make claims for repairs they can quickly fix for 5-10k. They believe they'll make more money in those hours wasted with police & insurance company. They only pay for the "fake" 3rd-party insurance so as to escape police/FRSC checkpoints.

The last time a danfo hit my car from behind, I had to fix the car myself (for 8k). The stupid guy just kept begging me, telling me that he had only 1k or so. I collected the money though (just to make him part with something as a lesson) and used it to wash my car after the repairs. In this case, following up with the guy is not worth my time but that doesn't stop me from insuring my car in case of something bigger.

Comprehensive insurance is an entirely different story. Many people who buy say post-2005 cars usu go for it and I know that the insurance companies pay claims but the paperwork is also much. If it's a relatively serious accident, esp if the car is immobilised, common sense says you should make a claim so your paid premiums don't amount to a loss.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by delpee(f): 11:00pm On Apr 10, 2013
smartchoice: Please name such reliable insurance companies as you people claim. Waiting patiently.

Mansard formerly GT Assurance
Mutual Benefits Plc
Leadway Assurance.

I have collected claims after an accident from Mansard easily. I also deal with Mutual and have no complaints.
NAICOM and INCSAN have been assisting people who have complaints. Naicom office in Lagos is near the old Federal Secretariat in Ikoyi.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by spikesC(m): 11:55pm On Apr 10, 2013
speedyboi:

The above is another reason why i said Nigerians have got one hell of an insane mindset. Companies not wanting to keep to agreement terms happen everywhere around the world. You are supposed to petition such companies....it's your right!It seems Nigerians are just as clueless as their leaders. So a company refused to keep up with their agreement policy (no matter how small your premium is) and instead of you to fight for your right, you preferred to forget about it? You be confirmed MUMU to the core! Only Nigerians would do such! and the insurance company saw you that way; that's why you were treated that way. Like seriously? So because of your stupidity you've decided to tag all Insurance in Nigeria as Scam? smh.....naija people sha...

This is so uncalled for, u talk like a kid without experience. Here's not america nor UK. And you don't even have the right to talk to him that way.

Do you know how much it costs to pursue a case? The time and the resources? You think u know a damn thing about the law?

Ask the op, he knows there're more than 1000 and 1 ways to discharge a claim. Insurance companies are worst than lawyers. They would never tell u the truth or the real details about the fine print.

I would suggest u debate maturely than resourting to insults.

2 Likes

Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by spikesC(m): 11:58pm On Apr 10, 2013
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Godson201333(m): 7:14am On Apr 11, 2013
Dis Guy:

ever been to lagos? theres a crash every minute and people still dont get insurance, they just hold everyone up negotiating price of repair.... there must be a reason

thousands of crash in Lagos, theres must be something putting people off, seemingly educated comfortably people
with 'expensive' cars ; I still wonder why they are more likely to buy a tracking device but wont get insurance

My brother may God continue to be with us,Why rely on an insurance company when you could fix your car up if something should go wrong and Lagos is full of impatience drivers,If you have a car in Lagos and you've never got crash before then you aren't driving oo.9ja insurance company always long thing and this turn people off from doing the right thing.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by modele2: 7:31am On Apr 11, 2013
Benaig:

3. Surrender and dismiss the companies as no good thus waiving your rights and leaving you in future to:

a. cough out fresh funds to replace your vehicle if stolen or damaged (God help you if that does not affect your finances adversely)

If you have a car or other assets, choice is yours to have something you can argue about (valid cover)or nothing at all to argue about.
Benaig:

Benaig:

Seriously who really has the time for that! I believe in insurance, but it depends on what you are insuring i use a 1998 model car so i really see no need to insure it. As for third party, i believe when the accident comes, i would be able to take care of it from the savings i have made in premium contributions. Been driving 7 years, not even a scratch on my old reliable.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 8:33am On Apr 11, 2013
smartchoice: Good what is the spread of these coys you just mentioned in Nigeria? So if I stay in Akure/Kabba I simply can't access them so the fake one remains my most viable option!

Leadway, Consolidated Hallmark, Mansard, Custodian to mention but a few.

Consolidated Hallmark you listed above is present in Akure - at Alagbaka area (main business area) and I heard on radio the company's third party insurance can now be paid for at the counter from any branch of zenith bank and you process your certificate yourself with the pin collected from their website - www.consolidatedhallmark.com

my friend evaristus in Sun newspaper just did that. He paid at zenith bank and printed his certificate himself with a copy in his email for future printing.
Re: Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? by Benaig(m): 8:39am On Apr 11, 2013
modele2: [b][/b]

Seriously who really has the time for that! I believe in insurance, but it depends on what you are insuring i use a 1998 model car so i really see no need to insure it. As for third party, i believe when the accident comes, i would be able to take care of it from the savings i have made in premium contributions. Been driving 7 years, not even a scratch on my old reliable.

May God help you. If you ever hit somebody crossing the road in error (Pray it does not happen) Death benefit is unlimited depending on the status of the individual. It could be up to N50m which the insurance company must pay including your legal expenses. I guess you have so much millions to pay if the unexpected occur instead of paying just N5000 to obtain the real thing. You also may have opened a special account to be keeping such funds in case of the unexpected.

We always pray that it CANNOT happen to us. May God not let it happen to us.

Please visit www.askniid.org to check your insurance policy if it is fake. It is the insurance database in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise / 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup / Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.