Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? (10703 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / How Soon After The Death Of A Spouse To Start A New Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:13pm On Apr 10, 2013
Guliver: I feel ur pain,I had similar incident last year.I lost my wife 2 child birth.even a year after nw,I cnt let go

Awww... So sorry Gulliver. It is well!
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by browncool(m): 2:08am On Apr 11, 2013
Guliver: I feel ur pain,I had similar incident last year.I lost my wife 2 child birth.even a year after nw,I cnt let go
Do this still happen in Nigeria? Was she giving birth at the hospital? Wasn't she over checked if she could give birth normally or needed operation? My condolence with you, its one of many great pains in life
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by whitemosquito(f): 2:29am On Apr 11, 2013
@browncool, complications during childbirth still claims a lot of mothers lives not only in Naija but round the world. Sometimes its a 'touch and go' case, the pregnancy term may be normal but somehow during labour, complications may just develop. Truly, who enter labour room born successfully no know wetin God do for am.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by MacLovington(m): 3:32am On Apr 11, 2013
Sorry to hear that.
It can be quite difficult. Especially if the person is young and his death was more or less sudden.

I don't know where you're based. But ordinarily if after a year or two you're still grieving very much, you need to seek bereavement counselling.

Your marriage vows might still be ringing and fear of disloyalty might be subconsciously there.
But upon death, marriage ends. Being still young, you need love still. But decide before hand if you still want kids. That's important when you start dating again.

Try to relax a bit and don't let life pass you by. You might still have 70 odd years more to go. Keep the fond memories but gradually move on.

Your late man wouldn't want to remain without love for so long.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by MacLovington(m): 3:36am On Apr 11, 2013
browncool:
Do this still happen in Nigeria? Was she giving birth at the hospital? Wasn't she over checked if she could give birth normally or needed operation? My condolence with you, its one of many great pains in life

Nigeria has one of the highest maternal/perinatal death rate in the world, don't say you're not aware of this.

Still happens sometimes even in the West: pre-eclampsia, placenta abruption, bleeding,infection etc.

Even Gen. Buhari's daughter died of it just last year.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by Ivynwa(f): 4:04am On Apr 11, 2013
Accept my sympathy for your loss poster. Hugs there!
How about doing things that make you happy and living on? Giving space in your life to another to love and to share. Hey! hope you ain't closing up and thinking that it is not fair to him for you to be with someone else again or even allowing the belief of some around you who may be thinking that you should live in a certain way they want now that you are a widow? etc

Losing a loved one hurts but we all can't die same day and when a loved one passes on, we should find courage to continue running the race of life and to still find happiness with the ones we are fortunate to be alive with.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by Nobody: 4:15am On Apr 11, 2013
Fejok01: I decided to bring this here to seek counsel.Am below 40years old.I lost my spouse about 8years ago and i seem not to be able to overcome.I talk,smile,go to work etc but within me is deep pain and sorrow.I've thought of seeing a psychologist but decided to seek counsel here first.Pls waiting for your replies.

Lost mine that long ago too.. You never recover.. It just gets easier sometimes but its never "easy". Tough times still happen, but they happe less often.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by prince13: 8:40am On Apr 11, 2013
I understand quite well what you are going through,it is a very difficult and bad experience,I will advice you encourage yourself especially when that thought shows up, always tell yourself life must go on,of a truth the number of years cannot wipe it off memory because i was a victim of it but my taking another spouse has really helped,it is Gods grace, self courage,avoid being lonely in order to avoid being depressed,there is no time it will completely go off the mind especially if it was someone you deeply loved,but you can reduce it to the barest minimum if you get another spouse who will help bridge the gap,I wish you all the best.
Fejok01: I decided to bring this here to seek counsel.Am below 40years old.I lost my spouse about 8years ago and i seem not to be able to overcome.I talk,smile,go to work etc but within me is deep pain and sorrow.I've thought of seeing a psychologist but decided to seek counsel here first.Pls waiting for your replies.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by prince13: 8:43am On Apr 11, 2013
I understand quite well what you are going through,it is a very difficult and bad experience,I will advice you encourage yourself especially when that thought shows up, always tell yourself life must go on,of a truth the number of years cannot wipe it off memory because i was a victim of it but my taking another spouse has really helped,it is Gods grace, self courage,avoid being lonely in order to avoid being depressed,there is no time it will completely go off the mind especially if it was someone you deeply loved,but you can reduce it to the barest minimum if you get another spouse who will help bridge the gap,I wish you all the best

Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by prince13: 8:44am On Apr 11, 2013
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by ocyno2001: 9:05am On Apr 11, 2013
i fink in time, everything will tk its place, its better 2 just cry it out.... Have bin in dat position, loosing a companion aint easy,everyday is like retrogression. Bt God will replace a thousand folds wat d enemy took.
Each time d feelings comes, just say a Prayer, God knws wats best..... U will be fine soon,u dnt nid 2c a Shrink,i fink letting it out (like ds medium) is d 1st step 2 prepare u 4a new challenge.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by ocyno2001: 9:09am On Apr 11, 2013
just make sure u have sumtin or sum1 2live for e.g parents, kids & frnds
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by Divinique(f): 11:38am On Apr 11, 2013
While it is normally to grieve bt we've to be carefl nt to do it over șo dat it doesnt affect our health and life. U ve to always focus ya mind on d hope of resurrection if u r a xtian. Let d tot dat God will resurrect him one day fill d topmost part of ya hrt. Tell yasef dat he is sleepin and he will soon be awoken by God. Then always be busy. Anytime u r weak, talk wit God. Marryin anoder mate is ya decision to make bt dat is not d key to overcomin long time grieve. Learn from d biblical Ruth. GOD WILL CALL AND D DEATH WILL ANSWER.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by ooua: 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2013
Hello dear, I can feel your pain, but 8 years is a long time to still be in so much pain, you have mourned him enough. You have to give yourself life again. Maybe you should try another relationship, but if that is not in your plan then get involved in social/religious activites that will keep you busy. Some people here advised that you should remove everything that reminds you of him but I say no to this, those things really do not count so much as the pain is in the heart. I lost my dear child (only child) and people told me to remove her picture from the wall but I did not. Now anytime I look at her I smile and talk with her and it so reassuring to me. With time those pains turn to cheirsed memories if you can allow yourself. Things do happen that we cannot change and death is one but for the living life must go on. God is your help.
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
Turn to God, all things are possible through Christ and maybe you need to speak to someone about it. Wishing you all the best
Re: How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? by webguru(m): 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
white mosquito: Hmm!This is the first thing uv said that is non sexist since Iv known u!
@op. You shud take up webguru's offer. Sounds like what u need- opportunity to bare ur heart to ppl who can truly understand and sympathize wit u + lots of single and available men who've been in ur shoes and have moved on or r learning to. Lol. My heart goes out to u, dear. Now, im wondering if its really true that time heals all wounds.....
@webguru, is der a similar group for heart broken and emotionally scarred singles?

Mosquito, lol. Dunno of anyone for singles, hurt... Maybe I shld create one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

14yr Old Stepdaughter Likes To Sleep In Our Bed / Smart Tvs Available For Sale / Five Practical Ways To Help A Child Who Doesn’t Like Going To School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.