Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) (1574 Views)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / What's Your Favourite House Chore? / Your Most Hated Household Chore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 10, 2013
Parents/ Guardians what do you think? Please share smiley
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by baby124: 9:14pm On Apr 10, 2013
Making their beds and clearing their rooms of clutter. Taking care of their pets and cleaning their pets pens. Generally cleaning whatever mess they create. Kids with pets they take good care of, i think are generally more responsible when they grow older.

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by damiso(f): 9:21pm On Apr 10, 2013
Making sure they lay their bed every morning and do a weekly proper clean of their room,my 3yr old can pat down her duvet but trying to teach her to lay her bed afterall she sleeps on it.

Tidying up generally after themselves.

Loading the washing machine(after you must have sorted cos u dont a white top becoming pink cheesy) and by eight they can start sorting with supervision.

Laying the table for dinner

By eight loading the dishwasher if you have one

Me i want my kids to be independent as soon as possible so my daughter(3)already helps in the kitchen and my son.too as soon as he is old enough.So by 8 i expect some level of cooking(with me watching though safety issues).

Cant think of any more at the mo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by nat138: 9:51pm On Apr 10, 2013
-Clearing up their toys after playing with them
-Clearing up their plate, cup, cutlery after a meal
-Putting their personal belongings like books, shoes, clothes etc in the right places
-They could to some extent go get their food after it has been dished, though be careful here not very hot foods especially for the 5 years old.
-As Damiso pointed out, the best way to ensure responsibility is to make them do their rooms to some extents.
-and also the pets idea is good where there are pets.

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 10, 2013
Thanks Baby , I agree with being responsible , it's just very hard for them to pull off perfectly when they're still very young, poor Goldie( fish grin) died without cause suddenly God knows why/how/what happened. undecided
I ( & hubby) have to walk the poor boy ( Puppy)everytime embarassed Exhausting I tell ya.

Like you suggested, I'll let them try the cleaning the pen from now on, some parents are just particular bout the perfection without doing it all over again.

Bed making is not a problem, as you lay your bed they say grin

Now cleaning the clutter, hummm pointing fingers she did it , no she did, not me is exhausting too, I end up doing it most times.

Dami, sis I hear you, but lemme confess , dinner time is always a mess except on weekends so, not much table to set up.

The middle child broke a stack of dishes helping unload the dishwasher!

Sorting laundry, I've never tried, thanks a lot .

Cooking? What part of cooking? I'm scared for burning hazard.
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by baby124: 10:44pm On Apr 10, 2013
jidegirl12: Thanks Baby , I agree with being responsible , it's just very hard for them to pull off perfectly when they're still very young, poor Goldie( fish grin) died without cause suddenly God knows why/how/what happened. undecided
I ( & hubby) have to walk the poor boy ( Puppy)everytime embarassed Exhausting I tell ya.

Like you suggested, I'll let them try the cleaning the pen from now on, some parents are just particular bout the perfection without doing it all over again.

Now cleaning the clutter, hummm pointing fingers she did it , no she did, not me is exhausting too, I end up doing it most times.

Dami, sis I hear you, but lemme confess , dinner time is always a mess except on weekends so, not much table to set up.

They have to want the pets though. You cant force pets on them or your own pets. Not all kids want pets. Also, if they clean the pens of their pets, you have to teach them good hygiene methods after and during. Like not touch the poo and washing their hands thoroughly even after touching their pets. If no one owns up to their mess, let them do a team clean up. smiley

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 10, 2013
baby_123:

They have to want the pets though. You cant force pets on them or your own pets. Not all kids want pets. Also, if they clean the pens of their pets, you have to teach them good hygiene methods after and during. Like not touch the poo and washing their hands thoroughly even after touching their pets. If no one owns up to their mess, let them do a team clean up. smiley

For sure sis... They asked for a pet and got it. undecided

Shakes head @ team clean up grin

@Mr washington grin I knew you were trouble when you walked in ....Ah ah Trouble Trouble Trouble( Taylor Swift grin)
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by baby124: 11:15pm On Apr 10, 2013
jidegirl12:

Consistency babe! My experience with nieces and nephews. cool

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by greatgod2012(f): 11:20pm On Apr 10, 2013
Nice thread!

Now, this is where i think having some gadgets can be challenging, e.g dishwasher, vacuumcleaner, washing machine, but with discipline one can get there.

First thing first, i dont do pets and i doubt if i can introduce it to them, maybe, when they are older, they will decide that.

Now to the koko..............keeping and cleaning their rooms tidy, including laying their beds, yes, very appropriate.

Dishwasher...............this is one of the challenging gadgets, let each of them(except the youngest) wash their plates each time they are thru with their meals.

Sweeping.................if the eldest is around 8 or above, then, its appropriate to sweep, at least the corridor, garage, and other places where vaccum cleaner cant be used.

Washing of cloth, thanks to Damiso, for talking about sorting, but i normally dont allow washing machine prevent me from asking them to wash..........so, while i stay with them to supervise, each of them (except the youngest who is just 2)washes their inners(pants, boxers&inner wears), and socks.

As per my only girl, i always want her around when in the kitchen to learn and keep my company, she is the one that always help me to unwrap my seasonings........lol, helps to pick beans, helps to remove skin from my palamu/agbodo .........lol.

Picking and washing their toys, after messing them up all around the whole place.

Yes, i also ask them to mop when and after laundry.

Those are the one i can remember for now, i hope i make sense sha.

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by denzel2009: 11:40pm On Apr 10, 2013
jidegirl12:

washington grin I knew you were trouble when you walked in ....Ah ah Trouble Trouble Trouble( Taylor Swift grin)

Lol...I'm keeping Faith alive wink
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 11:59pm On Apr 10, 2013
@Greatgod sis, you'd think me of all people eh? I just thought bout this house chore considering the fact that

1.they're girls and I want them to be Nigerian as possible.
2. Be responsible in domestic aspect and teach them life's not all Book-smart.
3. I don't have any problem doing everything combined but I thought hummm have I've been robbing them( esp the eldest the normal home training doing everything for her?)

Sweeping:I don't have real igbale like home oh, I have the broom with a long extension rod and she( eldest under 10) finds it very difficult to maneuver( but she's getting there gradually).

Plates & hand washing ( clothes) grin my sister that one will be a challenge oh, where will I start from? I just got a stepstool as I read your response now, we'd start from there for dishes. ( lord have mercy on my organic dish soap grin what a waste)

Hand washing( clothes)? I'd say one step at a time or what'd you think?

Cooking? She unwraps Maggi for me but I stopped her cos of too much maggi consumption every day( she eats it).
Picking beans(honestly I've never picked beens before) however I will still try & I ask for patience to withstand the sluggishness grin

Sighs no be small thing oh cheesy

Thanks all the same.
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 11, 2013
denzel2009:

Lol...I'm keeping Faith alive wink

Bad boy ... Now outta here, it's grown up discussion.
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by baby124: 12:11am On Apr 11, 2013
You still cook with Maggi? I am on a campaign against maggi. Its pure MSG!

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 12:14am On Apr 11, 2013
baby_123: You still cook with Maggi? I am on a campaign against maggi. Its pure MSG!

What else will I use? I don't like salt..
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by baby124: 12:16am On Apr 11, 2013
Its poison. Use herbs and spices(with no msg) and lil salt. Reduced chances of hypertension etc!

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by bebe2(f): 12:18am On Apr 11, 2013
Good thread, my 9yr old said I told him he shouldn't do dishes till he is 14.
I don't know wen that happened o
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 12:19am On Apr 11, 2013
Baby! Poison bawo now? I tried without for one week and went back using it, it's just irresistible grin

Igba wo ni maku oni ku ( we all gonna die jare)
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 11, 2013
bebe2: Good thread, my 9yr old said I told him he shouldn't do dishes till he is 14.
I don't know wen that happened o

Lmao! Mine says her hips hurt when she sweeps grin these kids.
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by wendycog: 1:33am On Apr 11, 2013
My son is 4 years old. When I load the dishwasher, I hand him the dishes and he puts them in. When I unload, I hand him the dishes and he stands on a stool and puts them in the cabinet.

My daughter is 7; she vacuums and mops the floor, and also dusts the furniture on the weekends.

They both make their beds, clean up their room, and set the table for dinner.

They actually enjoy doing chores. They follow me around on the weekend when i'm cleaning copying everything I do.

2 Likes

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by damiso(f): 7:19am On Apr 11, 2013
jidegirl12: Thanks Baby , I agree with being responsible , it's just very hard for them to pull off perfectly when they're still very young, poor Goldie( fish grin) died without cause suddenly God knows why/how/what happened. undecided

Yeah sis thats why i said with supervision.As you have said you have already started with peeling maggi(which my daughter too loves licking so i quickly collect ),give me the oil,pass me the onions etc.Now my daughter even thinks she is the one who bakes cupcakes after na me do all the measuring cheesy.You know all this oyinbo stuff now lasagne,chilli con carne,pasta(easy stuff)then we move on to our tiwa tiwa food.And advocating this for both of them not just the girl.

At least if they get introduced to how food is made it might prevent an unhealthier eating lifestyle later on i.e takeaways and ready meals(i hate those things).

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 11, 2013

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
greatgod2012: Nice thread!

Now, this is where i think having some gadgets can be challenging, e.g dishwasher, vacuumcleaner, washing machine, but with discipline one can get there.

First thing first, i dont do pets and i doubt if i can introduce it to them, maybe, when they are older, they will decide that.

Now to the koko..............keeping and cleaning their rooms tidy, including laying their beds, yes, very appropriate.

Dishwasher...............this is one of the challenging gadgets, let each of them(except the youngest) wash their plates each time they are thru with their meals.

Sweeping.................if the eldest is around 8 or above, then, its appropriate to sweep, at least the corridor, garage, and other places where vaccum cleaner cant be used.

Washing of cloth, thanks to Damiso, for talking about sorting, but i normally dont allow washing machine prevent me from asking them to wash..........so, while i stay with them to supervise, each of them (except the youngest who is just 2)washes their inners(pants, boxers&inner wears), and socks.

As per my only girl, i always want her around when in the kitchen to learn and keep my company, she is the one that always help me to unwrap my seasonings........lol, helps to pick beans, helps to remove skin from my palamu/agbodo .........lol.

Picking and washing their toys, after messing them up all around the whole place.

Yes, i also ask them to mop when and after laundry.

Those are the one i can remember for now, i hope i make sense sha.

Did you peep into my kids chore list?lol.You are totally on point and I expect them to possess some level of cooking skills too.

1 Like

Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by ifyalways(f): 8:53pm On Apr 11, 2013
My eldest's are just 4+ and the lot they do is helping in tidying their toilet,making their beds,hand washing their socks and messing it all up all over.Proper house chores start at 6.
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 12, 2013
^^ Oh twins, I see... 3 cuties in 2 years? That makes sense now. grin

4yr old tidying Toilet? What do they do?

@CC thanks for the tips.
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by biafranqueen: 4:17am On Apr 13, 2013
Thank God you said it wonder where all these deaths of Cancer Tin food and Maggi
baby_123: Its poison. Use herbs and spices(with no msg) and lil salt. Reduced chances of hypertension etc!
Re: Age Appropriate Chore Ideas For Kids (5&up) by biafranqueen: 4:22am On Apr 13, 2013
Picking up in the room and sweeping with bend down low broom..Under 9 will waste soap and get water everywhere while washing dish's. Picking weeds and cleaning outside. Collecting trash in the house.

(1) (Reply)

Boarding School Or Day School, Which Would You Recommend For Your Kids And Why? / Why Do Nigerian's Eat Rice Every Sunday? / She Is Friends With My Husband, Am I Wrong For Requesting Her Hubby's Friendship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.