Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? (8275 Views)

Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree / Students Caught In PDA At Babcock University To Be Punished - School Memo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 3:08am On Apr 11, 2013
Hi folks,
i recently finished my Bsc and wud like to proceed to obtain a Master's degree. But I have two problems-
1. Is it advisable to continue my education in the same course as my Bsc? Or can I get a Master's in a related course as long as its under my Faculty? Which is preferable/ shrewd career wise? 2.
Iv heard alot of poor ratings concerning Master's programmes in diff universities esp in the area of wasting time and unnecessary delays. I want a uni where an 18 months program is 18 mths program. Not more. I wud really appreciate candid and experienced answers.
Thanks.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by Nobody: 5:43am On Apr 11, 2013
Uniport my alma mater! Its 9c buh so much hassles n stress! U'v got 2b intelligent too. All d best
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 7:45am On Apr 11, 2013
Thanks ray. Are u sure abt the time factor because Iv heard unsavory things abt delays in Uniport. And what abt question no 1, u dint say anything abt it
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 11, 2013
Depeneds on wat u studied n wat the focal point really is, If u studied a course dat is not very applicable in our contemporary Nig. Then I wnt advice yu 2 go in 4 it in masters, instead u should go in for a course in related field dat has better n brighter prospects in Nig. I believe U understand wat I mean! N dat will answer ur question. Ciao
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 12:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
Ray thxs. I read Marketing. Highly relevant in Nigeria, u will agree wit me, but an extremely wide course. Im thinking of majoring in one of the areas under it like Advertising or Brand management. I discussed it wit a friend and he was of the opinion that i shud only diversify at PHD level, and stick to same Mktng at Masters level. How sound is his advice?
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 11, 2013
Not bad! Its ok! U can give it a try! Buh I'll also suggest an ICAN course 4 u! It will do u much good too.
Its ok, not a bad one
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 5:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
Noted. Mucha gracias.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by Odunnu: 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2013
Personally, i'd advice you to take up another course from the same background. Why? I think it makes for a broader view.
Get certified professionally too. That is becoming a necessity especially if you want to be an employee
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by CrazyMan(m): 6:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
white mosquito: Hi folks,
i recently finished my Bsc and wud like to proceed to obtain a Master's degree. But I have two problems-
Ok...

white mosquito: 1. Is it advisable to continue my education in the same course as my Bsc? Or can I get a Master's in a related course as long as its under my Faculty? Which is preferable/ shrewd career wise?
I expect any serious prospective masters student to have at least have 3 areas of specialization in mind...his problem should arise from trying to select the most suitable one for himself.

Unfortunately such cannot be said in your case.

And for your second question, yes its possible to get a Masters in a related course under your faculty.

white mosquito: 2. Iv heard alot of poor ratings concerning Master's programmes in diff universities esp in the area of wasting time and unnecessary delays. I want a uni where an 18 months program is 18 mths program. Not more. I wud really appreciate candid and experienced answers.
Thanks.
And this information you heard how did you manage to come up with it?

For your information...the masters program is totally different from your regular school program.

Your ability or inability to round up the program in the said 18 months lies between you and your supervisor.

It has nothing to do with the school.

Good luck.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 6:37pm On Apr 11, 2013
@ odunnu. Thxs. Def, a programme with NIMS is under way. @ crazy man, Oga, dont insult my intelligence. He who asks q does not miss his way. Some unis(faculty/dept) in Nigeria are notorious for delaying programs for as long as 3, 4 years so my second q is valid. If u wish to contribute meaningfully, watch ur attitude/tone.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by CrazyMan(m): 7:02pm On Apr 11, 2013
white mosquito: @ crazy man, Oga, dont insult my intelligence. He who asks q does not miss his way.
How does my reply insult your intelligence?

white mosquito: Some unis(faculty/dept) in Nigeria are notorious for delaying programs for as long as 3, 4 years so my second q is valid.
True...but why would you run your M.Sc program in an institution you know has a very bad record of working with its academic calendar?

It makes no sense.

white mosquito: If u wish to contribute meaningfully, watch ur attitude/tone.
And why is your reaction towards my post so sensitive?

Apologies if you felt insulted...I meant no harm.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 8:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
CrazyMan:
I expect any serious prospective masters student to have at least have 3 areas of specialization in mind...his problem should arise from trying to select the most suitable one for himself.
Unfortunately such cannot be said in your case.
. This was how u insulted me, if u had bothered to read previous posts, ul c wer i specified 'advertising or brand mgt as courses i had in mind.
U seem to hav misunderstood me. certainly i would not want to fall victim to such notorious unis which is exactly y im asking ppl to RECOMMEND unis they are sure of. Simple. Thanks for ur comment, apologies accepted.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by Screwface(m): 6:53am On Aug 07, 2013
I hope this advice is still solicited. I only just stumbled across the topic this morning.
To the question of time wasting, I can attest for these schools cus I have people running programmes there; UniIlorin and Port. Ife/UI also inclusive.
On the 2nd question, diversifying could be a better option for you. In the current Nigeria labor market settings, it'l certainly work in your advantage.

GL
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by kekerazi(m): 7:11am On Aug 07, 2013
Girl Abeg no near Unique Uniport.Very unique in what ever they are Doing.

Uniport has not started Second Semester for the 2012/2013 academic session.. Cheers
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 8:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ohkay, id even giving up on getting good advice from Nl. Thxs screwface; if ur face is screwed, ur brain certainly isnt. Lol. And kekeraki, thxs.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by lumides(m): 12:54pm On Dec 03, 2014
By Olumide
. The following shall qualify for Masters
Degree admission: Graduates of the
University of Nigeria or of other
recognized Universities who have obtained
the degree of Bachelor in the relevant
disciplines with at least a good second
class honours.
Candidates with relevant Postgraduate
Diplomas from the University of Nigeria
with at least credit level passes.
Candidates whose first degrees are
unclassified but have scores of 50% or
above.
For M.Ed degree, candidates with at
least, a good second class single
honours degree in teaching subjects
plus at least a merit level pass at
Postgraduate Diploma in Education, or
those who hold a third class honours
degree in Education or a single honors
degree in teaching subjects with at
least 5 years postgraduate teaching
experience, plus Postgraduate Diploma
in Education passed at Merit level or
above.
For MPA, candidates should, in
addition to (1) and (2) above, be
serving administrative/managerial staff
in the Public or Private sector with a
minimum of two years post-
qualification cognate experience.
Holders of professional Fellowship
qualifications such a FIMLT, FNILT,
NIPR, or their equivalents obtained
through examination. Candidates with
the professional certificates listed
above must have worked as Senior
Technologist (s) or in equivalent
position(s) for at least three years.
Candidates who hold qualifications
other than those listed above, which
are acceptable to the Senate of the
University.
Doctorate Degree (Ph.D)
Candidates of the University of Nigeria
or of other recognized Universities who
have obtained the Masters degree
appropriate for the proposed areas of
study with a minimum of 3.50 grade
point average on a 5-point scale or ‘B’
average provided that satisfactory
research work formed part of the
Masters degree programme.
Demonstrated evidence of completed
academic research will be an
advantage.
Master's/Ph.D Programme
A candidate with first class honours or
second class honours (Upper Division)
from a recognized University may be
admitted into a Masters/Ph.D
programme.
A candidate with Master’s degree from
the University with a grade point
average of 3.50 on 5-point or 3.00 on
4-point scale shall qualify for the
Master’s/Ph.D or Ph.D.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by whitemosquito(f): 5:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
Lol. Thanks.
Re: Best Nigerian University To Get A Master's Degree? by enygmababe: 11:12am On Feb 05, 2015
Lol, I guess this advice would no longer be useful since the thread was created way back but lemme say all the same that if you wish to lecture, it is better to consolidate on your present field and diversify during your P.hd and your question on choice of university that does not waste time is wise but it will also be wiser to also confirm the reputation of your intending department/faculty. In my university, my faculty does not waste time as regards undergraduate programmes and masters programmes infact, they push you to finish at the right time and if you are lazy OYO is the case but for P.hd programmes, they delay as sometimes you get your supervisors two years into the programme or worse. However, the reputation of my faculty is sterling when compared with other departments like say...education.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Searching For Final Year Research Project Topics / Jamb .org .ng / Opon Imo: Real Reason WAEC Honoured Aregbesola, By Inwalomhe Donald

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.