Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,749 members, 7,844,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident (1443 Views)

The Wonder Of Seat Belts / Ghastly Car Accident In Makurdi. Benue State Capital. Photos / Car Accident At Mushin, Lagos (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Nasri100(m): 12:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
Weird as it might sound, the actual truth from this topic needs to be addressed and I decided to elaborate a little more on seat belts and driving.

For those who might not have an idea of the real use of seat belts – Seat belts are vehicle
safety device designed to secure the occupant of a
vehicle against harmful movement that may result
during a collision or a sudden stop.

Unfortunately, recent accident cases in nigeria has shown the little impact of Seat belts in saving lives on our delapidated roads in Nigeria. 40,000 people die each year from accidents, this figure could be reduced if nigerians tend to practice the wearing of seat belts. But wearing this seat belts alone doesn’t guarantee your survival in most accident cases that has developed recently.

Last friday, Over 100 people were burnt beyond recognition on the Benin-ore express way when a truck belonging to the Dangote group Rammed into a fuel- landen tanker, even more worse, The container fully loaded with fuel was said to have fallen on a Young shall grown luxury bus with about 60passangers on board.

I wonder how the use of seat belts would’ve had any influence on this unfortunate incident. now don’t quote me wrong – Am not saying the use of seat belts wearing should be stopped or neither am I saying seat belts don’t protect during accidents, Just trying to inform the public that excellent driving should be practiced first . Relying on Seat belts to perform the “life saver” job when you drive reckless is idiocy.

Nigerians are noted to be too over confident when driving and that has been the major catalyst that has led to many accident scenes, and worse, deaths. The issue of over-speeding has eaten deep into our driving system in nigeria, people are no longer bothered about the poor state of our roads in nigeria.

For example, let’s analyze this type of accident collision that renders the use of seat belts unreliable in most cases.

Head-on collision :

Head-one collision is one where the front ends of two vehicles each other. This has been one of the common Accident collision that has led to the death of millions of people, Mostly take place on highways without demarcation. Although, during an head-on collision ; the seat belts hold you close to the chair, making it impossible for you to sustain injuries to your fore-head from hitting the steering.

But we have heard cases of many people trapped in a car and then crushed to death because of their seat belt. Getting trapped has killed many – Ranging from. Possible explosions and lack of breath. Driving safely should be practiced first before expecting the required help from the Seat-belts

http://Accidentwatch.

Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Nobody: 3:46am On Apr 12, 2013
Which manufacturer or reputable safety organisation said that seat belt saves ALL lives?

Seat belts are a primary retention aid while the air bags are supplemental.

Think of the effect of a first impact.

Without seatbelt the head (which controls the body) as well the chest area wich houses the heart, lungs etc, will impact the steering wheel and/or windscreen.

With seatbelt the chances of surviving the first impact and then controlling the car or making an escape.

Nobody rides in my car without wearing a seatbelt. I will not carry that guilt.

4 Likes

Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Originalsly: 12:32am On Apr 13, 2013
Hmmm...seatbelts save all lives?..never ever heard that until now. Like Somorina said...seatbelt is for retention. If a car is travelling at 70 and is in a head on collision the car comes to a dead stop on impact but anything not bolted or strapped down would continue travelling at 70...passengers included. Many have hurled to their deaths while many more have received severe head and spinal injuries most of which could have easily be prevented if they had only buckled up.Hmmm...ever heard of any case where someone died because he/she was wearing a seatbelt?
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by omodapson(m): 7:44pm On Apr 14, 2013
Seat belt still saves lives.
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by vizion: 10:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-xOplVUyc

watch the video, and see what happens to the dummy in the back seat. that would have been prevented by wearing a seat belt.

See below also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUG9ur5Azko

you should have an extremely good excuse for not wearing your seat belt, and that excuse should be worth more than your life.
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by vizion: 8:40am On Jul 13, 2013
watch 2:01 mins on http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VeN7zJhtg60&feature=endscreen, and 3:25 on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAaCjsDU2bM real life near miss, with car occupant being thrown out of vehicle.

Nasri100: ....Nigerians are noted to be too over confident when driving and that has been the major catalyst that has led to many accident scenes, and worse, deaths. The issue of over-speeding has eaten deep into our driving system in nigeria, people are no longer bothered about the poor state of our roads in nigeria.

For example, let’s analyze this type of accident collision that renders the use of seat belts unreliable in most cases.

Head-on collision :

Head-one collision is one where the front ends of two vehicles each other. This has been one of the common Accident collision that has led to the death of millions of people, Mostly take place on highways without demarcation. Although, during an head-on collision ; the seat belts hold you close to the chair, making it impossible for you to sustain injuries to your fore-head from hitting the steering.

But we have heard cases of many people trapped in a car and then crushed to death because of their seat belt. Getting trapped has killed many – Ranging from. Possible explosions and lack of breath. Driving safely should be practiced first before expecting the required help from the Seat-belts

http://Accidentwatch.

If at time 'T' a vehicle occupant could not escape from an accident because of a seat belt restraining him, I can assure you that had the seat belt not be worn, that occupant would not have survived up till time 'T'.

Also, what prevents timely rescue from an accident, are usually jammed doors, should rather advocate for cars not to have doors but still keep their seat belt on. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 13, 2013
Somorin#1:
Which manufacturer or reputable safety organisation said that seat belt saves ALL lives?

Seat belts are a primary retention aid while the air bags are supplemental.

Think of the effect of a first impact.

Without seatbelt the head (which controls the body) as well the chest area wich houses the heart, lungs etc, will impact the steering wheel and/or windscreen.

With seatbelt the chances of surviving the first impact and then controlling the car or making an escape.

Nobody rides in my car without wearing a seatbelt. I will not carry that guilt.

Spot on. And a 1,000,000 likes.
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by cretin: 12:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
the problem with over speeding is not the speed.......its what happpens when you stop suddenly!!!!.

humans as a specie are not designed to withstand sudden stops...

imagine you are travelling at 120mph...and u are forced to stop suddenly [accident/running into an obstacle],

hope we all hv a basic knowledge of physics and newtons law of motion ''Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it''

ur brain and internal organs..liver/kidney will still continue moving at that 100mph for a sec secs until it slams against ur cranium, in the case of your skull....and this could squash ur brain and cause some blood vessels to rupture.......and the victim dies from cranial haermorrage.
his/her corpse will be perfect externally..no injuries..no bleeding..........cause of death in naija lingo...na shock kill am!!! grin
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by cardoctor(m): 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2013
omodapson: Seat belt still saves lives.

I totally agree with you but the chances of surving a head on collision with a truck at 160 kmph in a kia picanto while wearing a seat belt will leave very little to salvage. Only God can save in a situation like that but may He forbid that.
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 14, 2013
@Original Poster: You do not know what you're talking about.

15th July 2012 was the date, a year later i can only keep exclaiming: "Thank God I ain’t too cool for the safe belt!"

The full load down here: http://www.traedays.com/blog/category/health/
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2013
car-doctor:

I totally agree with you but the chances of surving a head on collision with a truck at 160 kmph in a kia picanto while wearing a seat belt will leave very little to salvage. Only God can save in a situation like that but may He forbid that.

You are still thinking of seat belts as a primary life saver. It's not.

Seat belt is there to restrain you from your body impacting the cars structure in case of an accident.

If your Kia is going at 100mph and hits a truck going at a modest 70mph, the combined impact speed is 170mph, it will take an extreme feat of engineering to design a seat belt that will save lives in that situation. First of all the body won't have to worry about striking the structure since the structure will be coming in to strike the body.

Seat belts, under extreme condition that surpasses their designed limits do get damaged either the webs themselves or the mounting locations.

I am not trying to change your individual position but please let's be careful in what we say in car talk because of others that may take the cue.
Re: Seat Belts Do Not Stop All Deaths In A Car Accident by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
trae_z: @Original Poster: You do not know what you're talking about.

15th July 2012 was the date, a year later i can only keep exclaiming: "Thank God I ain’t too cool for the safe belt!"

The full load down here: http://www.traedays.com/blog/category/health/

Congratulations mate. For the recovery and for having your Lady. Sometimes when tragedy/illness happens the best medicine is someone by your die that believes in you.

I am certain that had you not been wearing a seat belt your enemy would have been ejected onto the hood of the truck.

You are destined for greater things Sir.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Today Is The Worst Day Of My Life Pls HELP!!!! / Naija Mechanic And My Car's Cooling System / 4 Filling Station Tips To Avoid Getting Ripped Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.