Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, (1386 Views)

Desmond Elliot,Monalisa,Banky W,Others Stun At Movie Premiere Of 'Falling'(Pics) / Uche Jombo & Monalisa Chinda Attend 'Invasion 1897' Premiere / Monalisa Chinda's Butt Was Exposed In Kiss "N" Tell Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, by Akgcfr: 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
Its friday again, our favorite day of the week and once again, primeyouth.org is on hand to deliver this week's movie tackle.

This week, we take a look at the highly anticipated star-studded flick 'weekend getaway'. Talking about a star-studded film, i'd say we've not had such in a while. Gone are the days when you can have Rita Dominic, RMD, Stella Damarsus, Jim Iyke, Liz Benson all in your average monday release. Right now, everyone is busy 'turning into a brand' and as a producer, having more than 3 A-listers in your film can be a huge 'gbese' on your own part especially as Nigerians would rather wait for it on Afmag than 'stress themselves' to cinemas or filmstores.

Weekend getaway featured Genevieve Nnaji, Beverly Naya, Ramsey Tokubo Noah, Uti Nwachukwu, Alex Ekubo, Ini Edo, Monalisa Chinda.......phew! And yes! Directed by Desmond Elliot, written by Ini Edo and shot in the prestigious (as in PRESTIGIOUS!) Le Meridien hotel in Calabar.

Now to real business, like so many films before now in Hollywood, Nollywood or even Bollywood, where we would see a star studded film with a killer trailer only to be given a motion picture torture when we decide to watch. This is no exception either!
The story is about different couples on a weekend vacation in Calabar. Each couple as dysfunctional as you can imagine and with their own separate 'wahala'. Also featured is a super agent (Genevieve) who is on a mission to get a particular 'hard drive' using the son of a supposed 'crooked' moneybag. Uti another super agent of some sorts was however billed to stop the plot.

The picture and sound quality of this movie is top class, one of the best I've seen around in a while, as expected, the director was on point also as his expertise shone through even in the actors with the most questionable talent. The location was so appealing that i drifted into fantasies about that hotel many times in the cause of the movie. There's really more to calabar than tinapa and the women.

The movie itself was very disappointing and very confusing in many ways. Maybe there were too many couples or too many details going on at once but the film just has the tendency to lose its audience at some point. I couldn't wait to see who was credited with the story....Ini Edo! Fantastic actress no doubt, but i think she should just stick to that, put all her eggs into the acting basket .....no more stories, Thats all!!

The movie struggled to find true meaning and focus in most parts, for a movie that lasts for 1hr 45mins, it was like a 10-hour non stop audiovisual torture. We were all still waiting for when we would see Basketmouth pop up from nowhere to tell us we were being pranked, that we were being shown the wrong movie.

No climax, 'no head, no tail' the professional delivery of actors like Ramsey, Monalisa, Ini was just the compensation from the horrific dose of insomnia medication a 'supposed' romantic comedy turned out to be.

The last scene, the wedding scene was perhaps the perfect full-stop to the movie. I still haven't found any explanation whatsoever for the scene neither have i found anyone who has. The guests at the wedding were strange to say the least. What was Ramsey's job at the wedding? How come our dear super agent Genevieve was so comfy in the gathering without even noticing the proximity of the 'enemies' ?

Sigh....i should have done the wise thing, wait for Afmag! I just succeeded in wasting precious taxpayer's time and money.

In conclusion, the film is technically good, with sound, picture. location all coming together, but if you are looking for a good story, with a nice dose of laughter, high points and strong ending then you have the wrong film!

I should have watched 'Croods' instead. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Rating: 2/10 (Boring)

http://primeyouth.org/friday-movie-tackle-weekend-getaway-starring-genevieve-nnaji-monalisa-chinda-ramsey-noah-uti-nwachukwu/

Re: Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 13, 2013
it sounds like an unofficial remake of this vince vaughn movie; couples retreat.
well great review.
Re: Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 13, 2013
it sounds like an unoffical remake of this vince vaughn movie; couples retreat.
well great review.
Re: Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, by Akgcfr: 1:59pm On Apr 13, 2013
Tadon200: it sounds like an unoffical remake of this vince vaughn movie; couples retreat.
well great review.

yeah, i guess.....a poor imitation as that

1 Like

Re: Friday Movie Tackle: Weekend Getaway Starring Genevieve Nnaji, Monalisa Chinda, by Originalsly: 5:50am On Apr 14, 2013
The story doesn't matter...just get the big name actors...the more the merrier. That's Nollywood mindset and that's how they keep strangling the industry. "You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time"

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Silent Witness - A Short Silent Movie / Who Remember This Animated Movies Title / DOWNLOAD: Festival Of Seduction Season 1 Latest Nigerian 2019 Nollywood Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.