Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,041 members, 7,821,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Raising The Girl Child - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Raising The Girl Child (2183 Views)

14 Tips for Raising Great children / Boy Or Girl Child, Which Is Better? - An Islamic Perspective / The Girl Who Turned Into A Monkeyafter She Threw The Holy Quran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Raising The Girl Child by tbaba1234: 6:44pm On Apr 14, 2013
This topic has been revolving in my head for the past few days so id give it a shot.

In ancient arabia, having a female child was frowned upon by many, to the extent that some people would bury their female child out of shame.

Allah records the reaction of people in the Quran to the news of a female child (roughly translated):

When one of them is given news of the birth of a baby girl, his face darkens and he is filled with gloom. In his shame he hides himself away from his people because of the bad news he has been given. Should he keep her and suffer contempt or bury her in the dust? How ill they judge! (Surah 16:58-59)

In Islam, raising a female child in the best of ways is a thing of honour. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever has three daughters and is patient towards them, and feeds them, gives them to drink and clothes them from his riches, they will be a shield for him from the Fire on the Day of Resurrection.” (Ibn Maajah) (classified as saheeh)

In another narration, The messenger of Allah said:

“Whoever takes care of two girls until they reach adulthood, he and I will come like this on the Day of Resurrection,” and he held his fingers together. Narrated by Muslim, 2631.

Islam encourages us to raise our daughters in the best of ways, give them the best of education. This could be our ticket to Jannah. Unfortunately we have muslim families today that deny that right to their child.

So how do we ensure that our children are raised in the best Islamic way? I have taken a few lessons from the Quran and other sources:

i. Confidence: The father is a daughter first hero. Father must learn to compliment their daughters, make your daughter know that she is beautiful so that she does not go seeking for affirmation elsewhere. The home is the place for the female to build her confidence, not to break it down.

Parents should treat all of the kids equally. Do not place the male kids on a pedestal at the expense of the female children.

Al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer said: “My father gave me a gift of some of his wealth, but my mother, ‘Amrah bint Rawaahah, said, ‘I will not approve of it until you ask the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to bear witness to it.’ So my father went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to ask him to bear witness to the gift. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him, ‘Have you done the same for all of your children?’ He said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘Fear Allaah and treat your children justly.’ So my father came back and took back that gift.” (al-Bukhaari, 2587; Muslim, 1623).

Even though we raise our children differently to help them fulfill their potential future roles as fathers and mothers. The emphasis should be on justice.

Role Models:

We should raise our children on the stories from the Quran and the seerah of the Messenger (Peace and blessings be upon him), for instance: Your child's view on love should not be cindarella or romeo and Juliet... It should be Muhammead (Peace and blessings be upon him) and Aisha.. We should read the stories from the Quran to them.

Muslim history is filled with strong, confident women, we have thousands of female scholars in our history. Today, many muslim kids have filty role models. Does your child want to be a music diva or like Aisha (Radiallahu anhu)?

The way a girl child is raised would determine that.

Encouragement and prayers:

Sometimes we underestimate this. When yusuf (alayhi salam)came to his father with a dream, He warned him and then gave him words of encouragement:

And he replied, ‘My son, tell your brothers nothing of this dream, or they may plot to harm you––Satan is man’s sworn enemy. This is about how your Lord will choose you, teach you to interpret dreams, and perfect His blessing on you and the House of Jacob, just as He perfected it earlier on your forefathers Abraham and Isaac: your Lord is all knowing and wise.’ (Surah 12: 5-6)

We have to create a balance between offering warning and giving advice...

Your child's primary role:

Believe it or not, your girl child primary role is not to get married... Infact, she can decide to remain single all her life. There are some scenarios when it is actually mustahab not to get married. A woman with serious anger or mental problems that would prevent her from being just to her family and help is not available might remain single.

We should ensure that we raise our children well to serve the roles of good mothers but we have to remember that their primary role is the service of Allah.

Religious knowledge

A woman with religious knowledge will know her duties and rights. She would also raise righteous kids who would be the light of the ummah..

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "When a man dies, all his deeds come to an end except for three — an ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge or a righteous child who will pray for him." (Muslim)

He also said: "Seeking knowledge is mandatory for every believer." [Ibn Majah]

Good company

All the good work done in raising kids would be undone by bad company. If all your daughter's close friends have boyfriends, even if she knows it is wrong, she might be tempted to take that route to fit in. There's also the danger of her rebelling against Islam to achieve this.

Know the close friends of your girl child, know their parents too..

I hope this is helpful, you can add more...

Assalam Aleikum.

1 Like

Re: Raising The Girl Child by tifanny: 7:14pm On Apr 14, 2013
Alhamdullilah........, jazakalaukairan.
Re: Raising The Girl Child by tbaba1234: 7:27pm On Apr 14, 2013
tifanny: Alhamdullilah........, jazakalaukairan.

Wa iyyakum
Re: Raising The Girl Child by Rapmaestro(m): 7:50pm On Apr 14, 2013
Re: Raising The Girl Child by damas11111(m): 5:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing. May Allah make our affairs easy for us.
Re: Raising The Girl Child by tbaba1234: 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
damas11111: Thank you for sharing. May Allah make our affairs easy for us.

Ameen!

(1) (Reply)

The Pull I Feel Towards Islam / Islam Mods Are Hypocrite Cowards / My Wife Insults And Threatens My Fiancee'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.