Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Practical Steps For Creating A Winning Resume (CV) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Practical Steps For Creating A Winning Resume (CV) (1633 Views)

NNPC Staff: Resume Before 8am Or Stay At Home / How To Write A Good Resume/cv For 2015 Jobs / Simple Steps For Setting And Achieving Your Goals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practical Steps For Creating A Winning Resume (CV) by demmy55(m): 8:56am On Apr 15, 2013
I got this from a book which i think will be helpful for job seekers especially trainees. Though it is a very broad topic but I'll just try to summarize all i can.

There are practical steps you can employ to create a CV that can land you an interview. You will need to do some thinking and strategic planning before writing your CV. If you fail to plan and think well, you may have planned to fail. Planning is the first most important step in creating a CV. In planning, two things are essential.

1. Know What the Employer is Looking for: This is very important as most applicants create CVs without focusing on what the employer needs. Most times, this leads to writing CVs that will not beat the competition. Remember the employer is not just looking for any and every person, but those with requisite knowledge, skills, abilities, experiences and competencies. The job advert sometimes reveals part of what the recruiter actually needs. knowing the recruiter's needs will enable you create and construct your CV to match your organization's needs.

2. Assess Yourself: This is to find out what abilities, talents, skills and experiences you possess to match the recruiter's picture of the ideal candidate.

Parts of a Resume
A winning CV should be divided into two sections:

1. Assertion Section: This is usually the section of the CV that carries more magnetic force to pull the recruiter's interests to respond positively to your CV. This section emphasizes on what your can do, how you can add value to an organization; it show-cases your abilities, qualities and achievements.

Components of the Assertion Section
i. Career objective or personal profile
ii. Qualities and skills
iii. Achievements and competencies.

2. Evidence Section: This section gives support and confirms the information listed in the Assertion section. It actually show cases your pedigrees; both education and experience.

Components of the Evidence Section
i) Education (ii) Experience (iii) Award and honour (iv) Professional qualification (v) Publication (vi) Hobbies/Interest (vii) Referees/Reference.

UNDERSTANDING THE CONTENTS OF A CV

Name/Heading
The heading of the CV should be the first thing to be seen by the recruiter. It should be written to attract the attention of the recruiter. Your name should be written boldly in capital letter followed by your address not P.O.Box, but a traceable address.

Career Objective
The career objective is sometimes knows as your personal profile. It defines and shows your clarity of career direction. Just as good adverts are directed to a specified audience, likewise should your career objective be directed to a specific job opening or specific organization.
Note: Your career objective should not be self-centered but employers-centered. Companies would have to hire you for what you can do for them not to fulfill your private goals and needs. As much as you can make your career objective captivate their interest.
How? Let your career objective depict your interest and relevance to the job being applied for.

Example 1: You are creating a resume for a company that deals on software sales. You can create your objectives as this.

"A software sale position in an organization seeking an extra-ordinary record of generating new accounts, exceeding sales targets and enthusiastic customer relations, possess relevant sales and marketing skills needed to add value to organizational objectives"

How to write your career objective
1. Be specific: What kind of job or job environment are you applying for?
2. Assess and ask yourself what makes you a perfect candidate for the job
3. Make it straight to the point.

Don't use crazy phrases that do not mean anything. Such as: "allowing me the ability to enhance and utilize experience in a new and challenging environment". This statement makes no sense.

Example 2: Assuming you wish to send your resume to a world-class Hotel, as an advertising or public relations officer or assistant; you can create your objective as this shown below:

"Seeking an Entry level position in the hospitality industry where a background in advertising and public relation would be needed to enable my organization achieve its corporate objectives".

Skills/Accomplishment
Your skills outlined should be relevant to the job applied for. Skills show your ability to get things done. various jobs have specific skills that ensure success from employees. As the skills are listed, possibly give example of how you have developed such skills.

i. Good communication skill
ii. Good interpersonal skill
iii. Ability to work under pressure
iv. Ability to work with little or no supervision
v. Creative and innovative skills
vi. Logical and analytic thinking skills
vii. Problem solving skills
viii. Self motivated
ix. Leadership skill
x. Result-oriented and target-driven.

Education or Qualification
This should be written in reverse chronological order. The most recent degree first, while others follow. Any degree yet to be completed can be written down, but attached with the phrase (in view).

B.Sc Business Administration [center]2004[/center]
Second Class Upper Division
Harvard University, USA

or

Higher National Diploma [center]2009[/center]

Marketing, Lower Credit
Fortunes Polytechnic, Abuja.

In addition, you may list the courses you did in the University that are relevant to the job you are applying.

Career Achievements
A section of a CV should show a list of what you believe is your greatest career accomplishments.
A sample of a career achievement might be:

"Developed human resources application for use, in start up of my organization, reducing the number of job selection errors by 70%"

Experience
The experience section should be written starting from the most recent. The position, Company's name, Address and Duties performed should be listed. Action verbs should be used. This makes you more active on the job. E.g. Rather than using, Raising 1Million NGN in 21days, use Raised 1Million NGN in 21days.
All experience that has helped you develop skills and abilities to add value on the new job should be included. It include be one year Internship, Industrial Training, Trainings and Workshops, Volunteer or Social Jobs, Community Development Service, NYSC, etc.

Professional Qualifications/Membership
List all professional qualification and membership.

Member, Nigerian Institute of Management.
Member, Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK.
Member, Association of Chartered Accountants. Etc.

Publication and Presentations
List any or all publications you have published.

Hobbies and Interests
List at least 3 hobbies related to the job.

References/Referees
Write at least 3 persons or simply write; will be available on request.

Like i said earlier, this is a very broad topic. Watch out for the rest; typing is not an easy job.

I will also show you some wrong Resume/CV samples and the areas that needs to be corrected.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Practical Steps For Creating A Winning Resume (CV) by Edoboy1(m): 9:02am On Apr 15, 2013
Wow....this is awesome. Thanks very much for this post, it will come in handy for many job seekers. Nice work.

1 Like

Re: Practical Steps For Creating A Winning Resume (CV) by Edoboy1(m): 9:03am On Apr 15, 2013
And mind u, I am 1st and 2nd to comment...I pray its makes front page,cos this is a nice job.
Re: Practical Steps For Creating A Winning Resume (CV) by demmy55(m): 9:59am On Apr 15, 2013
Understanding the Contents of a Resume

Name/Heading
The heading of the CV should be the first thing to be seen by the recruiter. It should be written to attract the attention of the recruiter. Your name should be written boldly in capital letter followed by your address not P.O.Box, but a traceable address.

Career Objective
The career objective is sometimes knows as your personal profile. It defines and shows your clarity of career direction. Just as good adverts are directed to a specified audience, likewise should your career objective be directed to a specific job opening or specific organization.
Note: Your career objective should not be self-centered but employers-centered. Companies would have to hire you for what you can do for them not to fulfill your private goals and needs. As much as you can make your career objective captivate their interest.
How? Let your career objective depict your interest and relevance to the job being applied for.

Example 1: You are creating a resume for a company that deals on software sales. You can create your objectives as this.

"A software sale position in an organization seeking an extra-ordinary record of generating new accounts, exceeding sales targets and enthusiastic customer relations, possess relevant sales and marketing skills needed to add value to organizational objectives"

How to write your career objective
1. Be specific: What kind of job or job environment are you applying for?
2. Assess and ask yourself what makes you a perfect candidate for the job
3. Make it straight to the point.

Don't use crazy phrases that do not mean anything. Such as: "allowing me the ability to enhance and utilize experience in a new and challenging environment". This statement makes no sense.

Example 2: Assuming you wish to send your resume to a world-class Hotel, as an advertising or public relations officer or assistant; you can create your objective as this shown below:

"Seeking an Entry level position in the hospitality industry where a background in advertising and public relation would be needed to enable my organization achieve its corporate objectives".

Skills/Accomplishment
Your skills outlined should be relevant to the job applied for. Skills show your ability to get things done. various jobs have specific skills that ensure success from employees. As the skills are listed, possibly give example of how you have developed such skills.

i. Good communication skill
ii. Good interpersonal skill
iii. Ability to work under pressure
iv. Ability to work with little or no supervision
v. Creative and innovative skills
vi. Logical and analytic thinking skills
vii. Problem solving skills
viii. Self motivated
ix. Leadership skill
x. Result-oriented and target-driven.

Education or Qualification
This should be written in reverse chronological order. The most recent degree first, while others follow. Any degree yet to be completed can be written down, but attached with the phrase (in view).

B.Sc Business Administration

Second Class Upper Division
Harvard University, USA

or

Higher National Diploma

Marketing, Lower Credit
Fortunes Polytechnic, Abuja.

In addition, you may list the courses you did in the University that are relevant to the job you are applying.

Career Achievements
A section of a CV should show a list of what you believe is your greatest career accomplishments.
A sample of a career achievement might be:

"Developed human resources application for use, in start up of my organization, reducing the number of job selection errors by 70%"

Experience
The experience section should be written starting from the most recent. The position, Company's name, Address and Duties performed should be listed. Action verbs should be used. This makes you more active on the job. E.g. Rather than using, Raising 1Million NGN in 21days, use Raised 1Million NGN in 21days.
All experience that has helped you develop skills and abilities to add value on the new job should be included. It include be one year Internship, Industrial Training, Trainings and Workshops, Volunteer or Social Jobs, Community Development Service, NYSC, etc.

Professional Qualifications/Membership
List all professional qualification and membership.

Member, Nigerian Institute of Management.
Member, Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK.
Member< Association of Chartered Accountants. Etc.

Publication and Presentations
List any or all publications you have published.

Hobbies and Interests
List at least 3 hobbies related to the job.

References/Referees
Write at least 3 persons or simply write; will be available on request.

(1) (Reply)

ICAN Exemption? / Sometimes Life Seems Hard To Bear. I Need Your Advise Please / Gtbank Prepaid Utility Card.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.