Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian (1913 Views)

Can A Born Again Give A Head During Sex? / Sermon That Touches The Heart: The Day My Boyfriend And I Went To Church / How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by luluosas(m): 9:14am On Apr 15, 2013
I Went to Nigeria and Could Not Find a Born-Again Christian

Written by Phil Tam-Al Alalibo

In spite of the thousands of churches populating that fruited plain called Nigeria; one is hard-pressed to find a true born-again Christian in that country these days. I wonder if they have all participated in a silent rapture that is yet to be announced to the rest of the world. Just a few days ago, I read an interesting newspaper article that was captioned – “Nigeria Still Sinful In Spite of Many Churches.” This is very ironic as one of the most religious countries, at least, according to survey, doubles as one of the most sinful countries on earth. Why is this the case? For a country that appears to be deeply religious on both the Christian and Islamic axis, a country that boasts of thousands of churches and mosques, a country that sends thousands to Mecca and Jerusalem for hajj and pilgrimage each year for spiritual purification and renewal, the level of moral decay, corruption, assorted vices and mores is indeed frightening.

On my recent trip Nigeria, I noticed that every neighborhood had a Bible-believing church casting out demons and converting souls for the kingdom. This could not be evident anywhere else than in Port-Harcourt, my home. At every turn, there is a church and members are clapping away in divine jubilation and in Episcopal expectation. In fact, just a few yards from my family home, I found, and this is new, a Redeemed Christian Church of God with members praying all night through loud speakers; and on the other side of the house is another church with the same zeal and flare. Also in the mix, across the street is a mosque with its aged loud speakers mounted strategically on the roof, permeating the silence of the night. In fact, if residents of the area do not repent and ask the good Lord to forgive their sins, they have no one but themselves to blame for what excuse would they tender on judgment day for the absence of their name in the envied Book of Life?

While at home, I went to visit a friend I hadn’t seen in more than five years. This is a good friend who in secondary school was a fervent Christian while the rest of us were knee-deep in worldly escapades stewing in our fleshly desires. He was so holy then that we all thought he would be taken in the same manner Elijah was taken to the heavens in a chariot without experiencing death. But he was not taken and went on to be a successful businessman, still keeping the faith. As we went out to a restaurant for dinner in his car, we were stopped by awful looking officers (or were they monsters) of the Nigerian Police Force. They came around and informed us that we were obstructing traffic as we briefly stopped so I could purchase some music CDs from a street vendor. Even before I could ask them what they meant by their frivolous charges, my friend, the holy one, had already pulled out some naira notes and handed to the officers with these words, “Take this to arrange yourselves for the evening.” At this, the officers immediately cleared a path for us in the crowded street almost molesting some innocent pedestrians in the process.

Shocked at this unexpected ungodly indulgence in solecism and solemn depravity, I asked my friend why that was necessary. His response summed it all and belies the depth of moral atrophy that pervades the land – “In Nigeria, this is how we survived. We bribe and pray for forgiveness.” He was not the only one bribing and praying for forgiveness – everyone was bribing, including elders, deacons, pastors and all manner of born-again Christians. The country is awash in so much corruption that the born-again Christians are finding it very difficult to stay above the fray. Even though we all know that the power of the Lord is sufficient even in the astringent Nigerian situation, born-again Christians in Nigeria would need a special turbo-charged power from the Lord to walk the narrow path. Thus, for the born-again Nigerian Christian, the option is very clear – you either bribe or you pray and most are not reaching for their knee pads.

On my way from the airport in Owerri to Port-Harcourt, we were overtaken by a church van filled with pious-looking-heaven-bound-singing-and-clapping members with the name of the church boldly written across the sides. It appeared they were headed for a religious function. But just a few miles ahead, we were all stopped by police officers at a famous check-point; the van was immediately in front of us. When it arrived at the check-point, the driver without saying a word to the officers pulled out naira notes and gave his offering to the uniformed ones. When I informed the occupants of my vehicle of what had just transpired in front of us, I noticed that they too were busy preparing their offering for the officers and could care less about the “sins” of the occupants of a church van. And those in our vehicle were also professed born-again Christians of high repute.

A fire and brimstone spewing Nigerian friend in Ohio was telling me just a few weeks ago that she had no choice but to bribe when she visited Nigeria recently. She explained how custom officers detained her at the airport because she refused to part with some dollars. At first, she thought she could win the battle by threatening to sue them; but when she realized that in Nigeria threats of lawsuits are not effective as they are in the US, she was forced to go the famous Nigerian way and prayed for forgiveness afterwards.

Nigeria, in this regard, is hell on earth. I wonder how any born-again Christian can live in that country and still keep the faith daily with the Lord. Nigeria presents a true test of Christianity and faithfulness to the Lord and anyone who makes it to heaven from that country deserves to be rewarded with a thousand crowns of gold and a seat right next to the Almighty even if they did not lead a single soul to Christ while on earth. For this to happen, however, the born-again Christian in Nigeria must not interaction with society, he/she must remain at home at all times (with no TV or newspapers, only the Bible and gospel music) to avoid the numerous iniquities of the Nigerian humanity. Even so, the walls will eventually speak and demand bribe for the protection offered from a nefarious society, after all, were the walls not made in Nigeria by Nigerians?

I once heard a joke on the Nigerian situation well couched in a famous song that had been slightly altered to reflect the iniquitous disposition of our society. The song goes;

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
And Nigerians ruined them all

In addition to ruining them all, the temptation for born-again Christians in Nigeria is abundant and manifest in all directions and in all spheres of human endeavor; bribery, lies, blackmailing, avarice, greed, violence, sexual immorality in high places and among the clergy. Even those born-again Christians fleeing the country are caught in one lie after the other at Western Embassies and those who make it out severely compromise their faith by involving themselves in shady activities to survive in their new countries.

I heard of the case of a high-standing born-again Christian who went to the American Embassy to apply for a visiting visa. He had indicated on the application that he was married with three kids and was leaving them behind as assurance of his return, whereas, he was as single as they came. But on the day of his visa appointment, failing to do his homework properly, he forgot to take along his marriage as well as birth certificates of his ‘children’ as proof of their existence and his lies caught up with him earning him a one-year ban from applying for an American visa.

On Fridays and Sundays, one often sees Moslems and Christians in mosques and churches all throughout the country, praying to Allah, God, singing and meditating; but with all these prayers knocking down innocent flying birds and planes on their way to heaven, the country is sinking deeper in the abyss of evil – child ritualists everywhere, professors sexing young pretty girls for grades, film directors demanding sex from aspiring female actresses in exchange for roles, human and drug trafficking, embezzlement of state funds, corruption of unimaginable heights, prostitution on the rise, ‘babalawos’ in great demand more than ever.

It appears that the same people praying are the same people bribing, stealing government money and relishing in unabashed sexual immorality – Abacha prayed, did he not? But he died in the bosom of two sinfully beautiful chocolate-skinned Indian prostitutes. And Obasanjo, did he not tell us that he is a born-again Christian of the Pentecostal variety? And now we are hearing that he has canal knowledge, as alleged, of his daughter-in-law, Mojisola, an accusation he is yet to refute in public. How about Reverend Jolly Nyame, the former governor of Taraba State, who is currently standing trial for embezzlement of billions of naira; a reverend?

The most vulnerable are the young, single and beautiful born-again Christian ladies who must live in Nigeria while they wait to transit to heaven. How would they survive in such a sinful country where sex is the currency for advancement? They must commit fornication (or bribe) if they are to be admitted into the university, and after admission, they must continue to oblige their professors for good grades and academic favors. After graduation, yet again, they must commit fornication to gain employment or favorable posting in the National Youth Service. One would be hard-pressed these days to find a young female graduate of a Nigerian university who has not been sexually violated, if not by the professors, by male students under the guise of offering them protection from cults, secret societies, etc. If such a graduate exist in today’s Nigeria, she certainly deserves a Nobel Prize in the category of “sexual purity.”

Lest I be misconstrued and in spite of the title of this article, I should note well that there are true men and women of God in Nigeria who are keeping the faith even in such perilous circumstances, but their numbers are diminishing and this is not good for Christian-dom. Perhaps, in a befitting comical twist that underscores the Nigerian religious imbroglio, someone reminded me on this visit after I had asked a zillion questions about born-gain Christians and the sinful Nigerian society that in Nigeria; (and Nigeria alone) there are three types of Christians – the ordinary Christian (OC), the born-again Christian (BAC) and the “true” born-again Christians (TBAC).

Confused and alarmed at this new Nigerian religious parlance that presented an intriguing insight, I asked what the differences were among the three groups. He explained carefully and I listened with great attention as this had pricked my curiosity; members of the OC group are those who were born into Christian families and therefore Christians by birth, but not by salvation or personal knowledge of the Lord. They attend church only twice a year, on Easter and Christmas and they bribe and commit sin freely, without guilt. Members of the second group (BAC) he labored to explain, are those who have graduated from the OC group and have been saved. They bribe and commit sin, but immediately pray for forgiveness. And members of the third group, he continued, are those who stay true and faithful to the Lord even in the sin called Nigeria. When I asked in jest which group he belonged to, he confessed that he was card-carrying member of the BAC group, having been recently demoted from the TBAC group.
https://www.facebook.com/NigeriaLiveTV/posts/580997011933587

4 Likes

Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by mumumugu(m): 9:33am On Apr 15, 2013
Nice. Bitter truth
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by honeric01(m): 9:52am On Apr 15, 2013
Mercy!
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Inik(m): 10:03am On Apr 15, 2013
Interesting writeup. May God help us.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by luluosas(m): 11:05am On Apr 15, 2013
Shocked at this unexpected ungodly indulgence in solecism and solemn depravity, I asked my friend why that was necessary. His response summed it all and belies the depth of moral atrophy that pervades the land – “In Nigeria, this is how we survived. We bribe and pray for forgiveness.”
I remembered one bitter experienced I had with a Nigerian Police Office some years ago. Then, I was not having any paid job after my Technical education, so, I resorted to using motor bike (Okada) for my daily upkeep in Benin City, Edo state.
So, while I was huzlling for passengers, I came to Voice of Freedom Church, Adesuwa Grammar School Road, GRA, Benin City, in Edo State. As they were closing from evening service, a man stopped me and he said I should take him to Dumez Road. On our way going, I met Policemen that mounted Road block that night, they stopped me.
As they were asking for particulars of my machine, I put my hands in pocket to quickly bring N20 and give the Police Officer, so that I can passed immediately. To my greatest surprised of which I am still ashamed till today, as soon as I told the Officer that I am bringing this man from the church, he asked me "Is that what your pastor told you?" That is, to bribe every Policeman whenever I come across them.
I simply told him that was the way of the police and so, I don't want to waste any time. To be very honest, that was the first time I saw a Nigerian Police office kicking against bribing, even though that is what they are known for.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by luluosas(m): 11:06am On Apr 15, 2013
Inik: Interesting writeup. May God help us.
Amen oooooooo my good friend.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 11:15am On Apr 15, 2013
This is one of the reasons why I cannot do business in Nigeria, I refuse to be tainted with the evil of corruption and gross wickedness.

This article is spot on, only 1.2% of those who call themselves Christians in Nigeria are for real.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On Apr 15, 2013
frosbel: This is one of the reasons why I cannot do business in Nigeria, I refuse to be tainted with the evil of corruption and gross wickedness.

This article is spot on, only 1.2% of those who call themselves Christians in Nigeria are for real.

Do you think those 1.2% would remain faithful if they come to either UK or US?

1 Like

Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 15, 2013
^^

ask your deeperlife 'HOLY' members smiley
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Seun(m): 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2013
frosbel: This article is spot on, only 1.2% of those who call themselves Christians in Nigeria are for real.
False! Stop telling lies! The true percentage is 1.457%. tongue
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by honeric01(m): 12:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
Seun: False! Stop telling lies! The true percentage is 1.457%. tongue

You're part of the reason the no is dropping.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Seun(m): 12:21pm On Apr 15, 2013
honeric01: You're part of the reason the no is dropping.
Really? How so?
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by honeric01(m): 12:29pm On Apr 15, 2013
Seun: Really? How so?

For giving free access to attacks on 'christianity' by atheist on the forum. Hehe.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by honeric01(m): 12:29pm On Apr 15, 2013
Seun: Really? How so?
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by luluosas(m): 12:40pm On Apr 15, 2013
Honestly, apart from the menace of Boko Haram in Northern Nigeria today, the evil and wickedness being perpetuated in the land is mostly done by the so called Christians.
Now, take the prostitution in the Southern part of Nigeria, the kidnapping in Ibo land and Delta State, the violent armed robbery and cultism in Edo State, the ritual killings in the South West, the abortion and high rate of indecency is the handiwork of the the so called born-again Christians. God will truly help Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by yuzedo: 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2013
frosbel: This is one of the reasons why I cannot do business in Nigeria, I refuse to be tainted with the evil of corruption and gross wickedness.

If you haven't been tested/tempted and overcome through the power of the Holy Spirit, then how can you adopt such a haughty attitude? Or am i missing something? (No offense bros)
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Inik(m): 12:51pm On Apr 15, 2013
luluosas: Honestly, apart from the menace of Boko Haram in Northern Nigeria today, the evil and wickedness being perpetuated in the land is mostly done by the so called Christians.
Now, take the prostitution in the Southern part of Nigeria, the kidnapping in Ibo land and Delta State, the violent armed robbery and cultism in Edo State, the ritual killings in the South West, the abortion and high rate of indecency is the handiwork of the the so called born-again Christians. God will truly help Nigeria and Nigerians.

Most of these evil acts happen because most people who profess to be christians are just practising religion without understanding what is all about. Christianity is meant to be a personal relationship between an individual and God. If a person is truely a christian it will reflect in all aspects of his life. Societal pressures and expectations also forces people to engage in these wicked acts and if an individual does not have a strong spiritual footing he or she will cave in to the pressure.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by dorox(m): 12:52pm On Apr 15, 2013
To be fair, there is a difference between bribery and extortion. Not all who give police officers money are guilty of bribery.
To bribe implies that one is seeking an undue advantage from someone in a position of authority in exchange of something of value. It will be very wrong for any morally upright person to do that. On the other hand what do you do think of a situation where someone is stopped at a police check point in the middle of nowhere and despite having all the particulars required to drive, the police still insist on being paid what i call a "passage fee". Would you call it a bribe? I just think it is just plain extortion. True, paying such money only emboldens our uniformed highway thieves as well as ingraining it into our culture, but i can hardly blame anyone for making such a payment out of concern for thier personal safety.

1 Like

Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by mumumugu(m): 1:01pm On Apr 15, 2013

shut up. You are one of the so called born again
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
honeric01:

For giving free access to attacks on 'christianity' by atheist on the forum. Hehe.

Is this comment supposed to be taken seriously?
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 15, 2013

The usual Christian response, especially from those who uad the opportunity to afford better education.

I will worship with them, but they're on their own after service. The word of God is there to change them, if they cant change, na their wahala be that...

Dont worry. I've been there.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 15, 2013
dorox: To be fair, there is a difference between bribery and extortion. Not all who give police officers money are guilty of bribery.
To bribe implies that one is seeking an undue advantage from someone in a position of authority in exchange of something of value. It will be very wrong for any morally upright person to do that. On the other hand what do you do think of a situation where someone is stopped at a police check point in the middle of nowhere and despite having all the particulars required to drive, the police still insist on being paid what i call a "passage fee". Would you call it a bribe? I just think it is just plain extortion. True, paying such money only emboldens our uniformed highway thieves as well as ingraining it into our culture, but i can hardly blame anyone for making such a payment out of concern for thier personal safety.

The problem is in Niaja, its difficult to differentiate. We love the freedom our corruption affords us. It wont be surprising if we find out that most here have driven cars without complete papers or even a valid drivers's license..

1 Like

Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:16pm On Apr 15, 2013
frosbel: ^^

ask your deeperlife 'HOLY' members smiley

Where you not one of the "HOLY" members before you came over to the UK? What happened since you came?
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by dorox(m): 1:25pm On Apr 15, 2013
Seun: False! Stop telling lies! The true percentage is 1.457%. tongue
You are are equally wrong, it is exactly 1.325%.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by splashbaby(m): 1:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
musKeeto:

Yes! they are mong those building a new fire brand christians millitant sects in the mode of Boko Haram that will tackle Atheists head on...
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by dorox(m): 1:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
@muskeeto:
While it is true that a lot of Nigerians see nothing wrong in paying bribe, my post was in response to the op
A fire and brimstone spewing Nigerian friend in Ohio was telling me just a few weeks ago that she had no choice but to bribe when she visited Nigeria recently.She explained how custom officers detained her at the airport because she refused to part with some dollars. At first, she thought she could win the battle by threatening to sue them ; but when she realized that in Nigeria threats of lawsuits are not effective as they are in the US, she was forced to go the famous Nigerian way and prayed for forgiveness afterwards.
If you look at the bold, you would see that the op failed to make a distinction between giving a bribe and being a victim of extortion.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
dorox: @muskeeto:
While it is true that a lot of Nigerians see nothing wrong in paying bribe, my post was in response to the op

If you look at the bold, you would see that the op failed to make a distinction between giving a bribe and being a victim of extortion.
Cool..
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 2:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
We all av our belief but it becomes a problem sumtimes. If u cannot balance ur theological insight with its philosophical counterpart, u are as bad as satan. What is christianity? What ar d qualities of being a christian? How can sum1 becos he has a full-abled fingers stand and list all d vices in a country to say negatively abt christians. Who told u dat becos of bribery xtians in d country are fantasing abt God? D 3 types of xtians in d country u mentioned, who commisione it, or ar u looking 4 popularity in a cheap way. What is xtianity, Who commisioned it, what ar d qualities of being a xtian? One can just stand up to say his qualities of being a good muslim. One can just say if i commit jihad, fight 4 allah and shed blood 4 sacrifice in every odd days of d months, bear a bomb and detonate it suicidely in a xtian market, become a boko haram group or sudaniers, He is certain of an accomplished islamic qualities bt let me know d qualities of xtianity. U made a thread with an illogical theology with total absence of philosophy. Are u human being? If 1.2 or 1.458% ar 2ru xtians in d country, by now d country should b a desert. Its clear in life that theology on its own cannot stand. U said abt xtians and their high immoral contribution in d country becos probably u'd already d knw d qualities of other religions or becos u're free to jerk-out on xtianity just lyk any other body in d country. Yes! U cn jerk-out and dat can lead u to d qualities of being a xtian. I detest everything abt d thread. The poster has no knowledge abt xtianity. I was viewing a thread d other day abt Russel d founder of Jehovah's Witness. He had no knowledge of d bible, theology or philosophy and yet he managed to construct such a powerful congregation. So it nt a surprise. One would wake up one day to count them as xtians. Dats y I asked what is xtianity, who commisioned it and wat ar d qualities of a good xtian? D word "born again" was used in d bible and people up to date understands it so literally dat they cn show hw stupid they ar. There is nting like "born again" christian. If u're xtian, u're born again.
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by manmustwac(m): 2:34pm On Apr 15, 2013
Very long, very nice & very true. There is no such thing as a born again christian in naija. Everybody has taken or given bribe, exchsanged sex for favours, cheated in exam halls or done something unchristian like
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by honeric01(m): 2:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
musKeeto:

You're asking? grin
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 15, 2013
honeric01:

You're asking? grin
tongue
Re: I Went To Nigeria And Could Not Find A Born-again Christian by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
Appears that musKeeto was demoted 2 steps , he could not handle the situation and instead went with the flow grin

He went from the born-again Christian (BAC) to ordinary Christian (OC),

and then compromised even further and fell from ordinary Christian (OC) to atheist

Now he is wobbling between atheist and ordinary Christian (OC) due to increasing guilty conscience.

Common bro, get a grip , just say NO to corruption smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Life Without God. / Another Mystery Of Pastor Lazarus Mouka Revealed / The Sign Of Jesus Coming, And Of The End Of The World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.