Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

African Snails Invade Florida - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Snails Invade Florida (782 Views)

Giant Nigerian Snails Seized And Destroyed At Los Angeles Airport. / Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates / 18ft Python Killed In Florida (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Snails Invade Florida by JuanDeDios: 6:25pm On Apr 15, 2013
STATE'S LAST INVASION WAS 1966 AFTER A BOY BROUGHT BACK SEVERAL FROM A VACATION IN HAWAII

If you think they’re yummy and that getting genuine wild ones—as against farmed ones—for your stew is increasingly difficult due to environmental factors like bush burning, you may want to catch the next flight to Florida, United States. Authorities in the sunshine state have been issuing statements and putting state organs on alert due to a snail “invasion”. Even the scientific community has been holding emergency symposia on how to deal with the matter. The Daily Mail reports that 117,000 Giant African snails have been caught since September 2011, when they were first spotted. The snails can grow as big as rats—yes, Nigerians know that.

What is causing angst in South Florida is the serious threat posed to agriculture and even human habitat by the crawling creatures. They can attack “over 500 known species of plants” and can chew through stucco, which contains the calcium it needs for shell growth. The state of Florida is cautioning young residents to stay away from the snails and to not be fooled by the “cute” exterior and mistake them for pets. The Giant African land snails do carry a parasitic rat lungworm—because they eat rat faeces—that can potentially lead to illness in humans, mostly meningitis, although no cases have been discovered yet in the US.

For more:
http://www.234globe.com/story/333/Florida+Battles+Giant+African+Snail.html

Re: African Snails Invade Florida by JeSoul(f): 8:44pm On Apr 15, 2013
lol. Serious. Florida is so susceptible to "invasions" from non native species (due to their climate I guess). They have bigger problems...crocs, burmese pythons etc...I won't be moving to the gulf coast anytime soon.
Re: African Snails Invade Florida by armyofone(m): 6:14pm On Apr 16, 2013
I like snail sauce, reading the story scare the living hell out of me. Meningitis and Lungworm shocked i saw some at the Africa store I visited with a friend last week, the price was high so i did about turn grin. Not sure if they brought it from their dealers in florida or straight from Ghana grin
Re: African Snails Invade Florida by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 17, 2013
Juan_De_Dios: STATE'S LAST INVASION WAS 1966 AFTER A BOY BROUGHT BACK SEVERAL FROM A VACATION IN HAWAII
The state of Florida is cautioning young residents to stay away from the snails and to not be fooled by the “cute” exterior and mistake them for pets. The Giant African land snails do carry a parasitic rat lungworm—because they eat rat faeces—that can potentially lead to illness in humans, mostly meningitis, although no cases have been discovered yet in the US.
What is the meaning of this nonsense?
I have been eating snails for years and I haven't gotten any parasitic rat lungworm (is that even a real sickness)?
I hope this is not another propaganda information to make Africa look like a disease infested continent.
Re: African Snails Invade Florida by Abrantie: 9:25pm On Apr 17, 2013
I enjoy snail meat to the fullest, especially in palmnut soup. The next time I'm back in yankee, Florida here I come. Hey, I can even export some back to West Africa.
Re: African Snails Invade Florida by oweniwe(m): 9:22am On Apr 18, 2013
^^ grin

Na so u go put local snail farmers out of business. Who no wan chop imported snail?

(1) (Reply)

Britain To Miss Out On Billions Of £ Of U.S. Investment If It Leaves The E.U. / Charles Bronson: Britain's 'most Dangerous Inmate', Intresting / The Plundering Of South Sudan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.