Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,047 members, 7,838,651 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash (762 Views)

Mohammed Abubakar With Pang Xin Xing In Beijing (photos) / Buhari Departs Beijing, Arrives Shanghai (photos) / Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash by shashxxl(m): 12:12am On Apr 09, 2008
Re: Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash by almondjoy(f): 10:25pm On Apr 09, 2008

As the 8th day in August 2008 draws nearer and nearer and the reality on ground nonetheless becomes ever so clearer, it sometimes still buggles the mind that the IOC ( International Olympic Commission)-under the stewardship of Jacques Rogge, its incumbent president still see no iota of wrong in allowing the game proceed in Beijing.

Even if this issue is of little or no concern to the reader politically or sportwise,in the spirit of human rights all over the world this would have to prick our consciences. Regarding the forthcoming olympics the world has been polarised into two camps; in the red corner those who clamour for the boycott and in the green those who are of the firm conviction politics should be seperated from sports. However, this article on the other hand solely seeks to negate, if possible, the validity of the notion that politics and sports are poles apart.

http://www.mistawrite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131:a-torch-of-controversy&catid=42:articles&Itemid=63

Exactly!!!! This is all about the protest of human right abuses against China.  Interesting how "the Olympic Torch" becomes an object that can be used against the Chinese government and its human rights violations to some of it's neighbours. 

On the other hand we have other areas like Iraq and Afghanistan being invaded and their governments toppled.

Hmmmmmmmmm!  Power pass power I guess and perhaps the world knows what countries to mess with and those not to mess with except with the "Olympic Torch"!

Let us see how this will play out.  I want to see if President Mr. Bush will attend the opening ceremony in China and what kind of political statement that would mean as far as the Chinese-American socio-economic  relations are concerned!

Don't mess with China I say! kiss
Re: Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash by bawomolo(m): 1:16am On Apr 10, 2008
china's stance on issue from burma to tibet to sudan is very bothersome. it's obvious these guys only value power.
Re: Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash by Cadet(f): 1:23am On Apr 10, 2008
Funny, we were discussing this issue in class. All because China is a communist. Did they just realize it? How's the torch going to change things?

Did they just realize that injustice anywhere is a danger to justice everywhere?
Yeye countries. Reminds me of how long it took US to be aware about the Holocaust in Germany.
Re: Beijing Games: A ''torch'' Of Controversy- Written By Jl Shash by Danmasani(m): 1:51am On Apr 10, 2008
My lunch break today in downtown Chicago was impeded by tibetan protest! I think the olympics is one thing and politics is another.
well it is a good PR for Tibetan indepedence. However when it comes to arms dealing to Sudan or Burma, I think we need to understand that the biggest arms dealers today are the western nations- those are the arms that do more damage, those black market weapons made in UK or USA and sold in somalia et al!

Talk of double standards at play with Nancy Pelosi and Mrs Clinton ranting like goats, I guess Abu Ghraib has been addressed and Guantanamo Bay has rose flowers all over it now!

(1) (Reply)

Should We Kill Off African Time? / How Iyabo Shared The 10m / Bayelsans On Nairaland! Join The Campaign To Rid Bayelsa Of Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.