Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view (5743 Views)

Donald Trump: What Does The Mass Support For Him Suggests About The USA? / Didn't Mean To Scare Angela Merkel With My Dog- Putin (pix) / White Republican Wins Election In Texas, After Pretending To Be African American (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by DoffMan2: 9:25am On Apr 18, 2013
All this African consciousness crap that white people help to promote is rubbish and just another way to keep the black man alienated, in countries like USA, thus preventing him from actively participating in personal wealth generation.

How come a man immigrates from Ukraine to America and his children, born in America, are just looked at as Americans. No one tries to promote Ukrainian consciousness for them? They are hardly ever asked 'where are you originally from' or patronizingly told 'isnt the vibrant Ukrainian culture so exciting, blah blah blah'. No one calls them eurpean american? They are just plain american! They participate actively in the economy and politics, becoming billionaires and senators within a generation!

Man migrates from Nigeria and his children are constantly reminded of his African roots, African consciousness and other thrash like that which keeps him permanently alienated, distracted and confused. When he tries to blend, even his own black people who have been successfully brainwashed, will label him a sell out.

Leave all this rubbish, especially if you are born in America. Get the lingo, get the education, get the money and leave the African consciousness stuff for leisure and recreational time.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by lekkie073(m): 9:27am On Apr 18, 2013
..........brb
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by AjanleKoko: 9:34am On Apr 18, 2013
It's kind of amusing when you read stuff like this, especially from our brethren in the Diaspora. Dunno if it's cold or boredom that brings it on grin

I doubt Africans living in Africa have any starry-eyed epiphanies on what it means to be African. We know exactly what being an African means, all day every day. wink cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Venchy: 9:54am On Apr 18, 2013
[size=14pt]To be an African abroad is beautiful and proud of my skin, life in Overseas is brilliant but it comes with a price and sometimes lots of pain

There's a lot of respect from the government and their people even though some can be hurrible but the important thing to me is that "when there's job there's life" and I was offered an opportunity without knowing any Bloody OGA AT THE TOP. [/size]
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Originalsly: 12:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
"No matter where you come from...as long as you are a Black man you're an African...no matter your nationality you've got the identity of an African" Peter Tosh (original member of Bob Marley and the Wailers).
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by DarryOsh(m): 2:32pm On Apr 18, 2013
Shollypopz:

It's not because of the culture. There are too many diverse cultures in Africa for anyone to group us as one because of culture. African culture ain't that similar at all!

The reason why we get grouped as one is because of ignorance. A lot of non-Africans see Africa as a country not a continent, hence the grouping.
Nobody knows sh1t about Nigeria. In the past, news reporters report event as, "Today in Africa, the Northern part of Nigeria, bla bla bla...." Ain't nobody going around calling people from USA North American, is there not a lil similarity in culture between USA and Canada??

Most ppl don't know enough about Nigeria or a single African country for it to stand alone in their minds, they group us in one little circle because we aren't big enough(economically, technologically, politically...) to stand alone.
you are very correct. i totally agree with you. it pisses me off that we are so powerless to write our own story, they project an image which they like or believe about us. the worst thing is that even the Africans begin to see themselves through the eyes of the west.Why cant we freaking write our own stories?..nobody should tell us we we are....
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by omidhe(f): 2:33pm On Apr 18, 2013
To me , been an African is not about the geographical,or skin colour factor ,is a way beyond that .one is an African if his or her source is African, the very root of your being .we can't keep living in pretence of 'oneness' an African is different from been an European ,. Different cultures bind us , the only problem is that an average African want to be like the next European guy , we 've called our own culture 'babaric'. Though physical slavery is over centuries ago, Africa is still mentally enslaved , and if caution not taken , we wiill erase our history , and embrace the 'white 'man's doing this will only confirm the statement 'a black man has no histors ' in my next life , if at all there is one , I will love to come in black skin again and again .

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by DarryOsh(m): 2:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
Venchy: [size=14pt]To be an African abroad is beautiful and proud of my skin, life in Overseas is brilliant but it comes with a price and sometimes lots of pain

There's a lot of respect from the government and their people even though some can be hurrible but the important thing to me is that "when there's job there's life" and I was offered an opportunity without knowing any Bloody OGA AT THE TOP. [/size]
when you type in gargantuan fonts like this.it is tantamount to screaming!not cool
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Egbagirl(f): 2:41pm On Apr 18, 2013
AjanleKoko: It's kind of amusing when you read stuff like this, especially from our brethren in the Diaspora. Dunno if it's cold or boredom that brings it on grin

I doubt Africans living in Africa have any starry-eyed epiphanies on what it means to be African. We know exactly what being an African means, all day every day. wink cheesy

LMAO!!!! no be our fault. when you are the "minority" in another man's land, this is what happens? I wasn't "african" until I came here and it's more than just having to defend Africa or any of that sort. It's also my interactions with other Africans here and my living and traveling experiences that brought about this consciousness.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Egbagirl(f): 2:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
ShyM-X:

Scared much? Hey, you need to enjoy life to the fullest, hun.. grin

It seems you're scared of me... Don't worry, I don't bite... tongue

Yea I guess I should especially now when I still have the time and liberty lool.

Scared of you? for why? I nod dey fear person o. lol. grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
Egba girl:

Yea I guess I should especially now when I still have the time and liberty lool.

Scared of you? for why? I nod dey fear person o. lol. grin grin

True... You're still young - so you've got to YOLO all the way till family time comes... grin

I admire your bravery - just thought you probably think I'm too flirty and all... tongue
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Egbagirl(f): 3:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
ShyM-X:

True... You're still young - so you've got to YOLO all the way till family time comes... grin

I admire your bravery - just thought you probably think I'm too flirty and all... tongue

LOL!! I don't roll YOLO style. I just live life. lol.

As for flirty :x grin grin jus playing but uh nothing I can't handle cool
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2013
Egba girl:
LOL!! I don't roll YOLO style. I just live life. lol.

As for flirty :x grin grin jus playing but uh nothing I can't handle cool

So what do you do then? Don't tell me you're a bookworm... tongue grin

Damn!! I like the fact that you can handle me... Perhaps, you'll be my krptonite then, no? wink
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by hiuser(m): 5:32pm On Apr 18, 2013
ShyM-X:
All this African consciousness crap that white people help to
promote is rubbish and just another way to keep the black
man alienated, in countries like USA, thus preventing him
from actively participating in personal wealth generation. How come a man immigrates from Ukraine to America and
his children, born in America, are just looked at as
Americans. No one tries to promote Ukrainian consciousness
for them? They are hardly ever asked 'where are you
originally from' or patronizingly told 'isnt the vibrant
Ukrainian culture so exciting, blah blah blah'. No one calls them eurpean american? They are just plain american! They
participate actively in the economy and politics, becoming
billionaires and senators within a generation! Man migrates from Nigeria and his children are constantly
reminded of his African roots, African consciousness and
other thrash like that which keeps him permanently
alienated, distracted and confused. When he tries to blend,
even his own black people who have been successfully
brainwashed, will label him a sell out. Leave all this rubbish, especially if you are born in America.
Get the lingo, get the education, get the money and leave
the African consciousness stuff for leisure and recreational
time.

'from swamp of flies..'
Re: What Does It Mean To Be African? - Black Diaspora Point-of-view by NLGwoodey: 4:19am On Apr 19, 2013
If you were born anywhere in the continental Africa,then you are African. Shikena!

Why try to complicate simple matter

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exposed: Princess Diana Was Killed Over Planned Expose? / White Supremacist Leader Killed In South Africa / The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.