Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! (5749 Views)

16 Most Powerful Militaries In Africa. Nigeria Ranked As 5th / Top 10 Most Liveable Cities In Africa -- Nigeria No Where To Be Found / Why Did Adolph Hitler Hate Jews So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by Mpele(m): 10:13am On Nov 30, 2009
What does this love - hate relationship portend for the two countries? If allowed to continue, the toll on economic, socio-cultural and political gains made throughout the two countries' history of interaction will be negatively affected. For instance, there is a generous level of intermarriage between the people of the two countries and a new generation of Nigerian South Africans and South African Nigerians are being raised. How would this continued love - hate relationship rub-off on this new generation or even between the families? In fact, as the xenophobic attacks were ongoing, South African families were giving the hands of their daughters in marriage to Nigerians. A South African lady expressed the dilemma of the situation when she remarked that her son, who is Nigerian through the father, will never understand why her people and her father's people are up in arms. Nigeria South Africa economic cooperation in the continent is one of the largest in recent times. The cooperation of the two countries in bilateral and multilateral issues on the continent, and especially in the area of peace and security will definitely be affected if this ugly trend continues unabated.

South Africans spoken to are however divided on the nuisance nature of Nigerians. While some see them as very brash, loudmouthed criminals, others are quick to point out that it was only with the arrival of Nigerians in SA did they know that a black man can look a white man in the face and tell him off. Could this therefore be a source of the conspiracy against Nigerians? Some will also tell you about the wonderful work Nigerian doctors, academics, professionals and business people are doing in SA. Mostly, they tell you about the ingenuity and enterprising nature of Nigerians. Nigerians spoken to are equally divided as to their opinion of how they are being treated in SA. Some tell of the wonderful friendship they have developed with South African families, while others speak of the terrible experiences they have had in the country. However, one common denominator that is present in almost all those spoken to is that, it will not be in the best interest of both countries to have wrong perceptions and diplomatic rows. The recent spate of attacks notwithstanding, Nigerians spoken to expressed empathy with the situation the South African blacks find themselves. They say they are ready to forgive those who were directly or indirectly involved in the attacks. They have also appealed to Nigerians back home not to engage in retaliatory attacks against South Africans living in the mother country as this will not resolve the issue at hand. Right thinking South Africans have condemned the attacks and have even gone to the extent of expressing how ashamed they are to be South Africans in these trying times.

The South African High Commission in Abuja for instance is already working on addressing the perceptions of ill treatment of Nigerians from an institutional level. At the just concluded Bi-National Commission session between the two countries which held in Abuja, a range of issues were discussed which if implemented, would improve the cooperation of the two countries. However, the issue of the repatriation deposit that first time travellers to South Africa are expected to pay at the SA High Commission was not ironed out. This has been a touchy issue between the countries. While the efforts are very commendable, it would also be very important that the South African government back home engage with its people both at the institutional level and at the grassroots level in order to create a better atmosphere between the people and government of these two countries. The Department of Home Affairs has to factor in this problem in its Indaba and Imbizo with the people. There would therefore be the need for continuous public education to change the perception and call for greater cooperation. The much touted spirit of ubuntu must be made to permeate the hearts of men and women in SA. Diplomatic relations must translate to good relations among citizens. At the same time, the Nigerian government both at home and in SA represented by the High Commission need to re-orientate the Nigeria public, especially those travelling to SA or residing in SA as to the fact that laws and ethics of host countries must be obeyed. The fact that the foreign policy thrust of the present administration is focused on protecting its citizens does not mean that crimes committed by Nigerian nationals abroad would not be subject to local laws. Nigerians in SA must operate in the country with the same moral and ethical uprightness as they would have exhibited in the mother country. The home office in Nigeria would need to institute in the psyche of Nigerians in Diaspora the need of registering with the Nigerian Missions in whichever country they find themselves. This would also make the job of assisting Nigerians in foreign countries easier for their Missions. Above all, the people of both countries would gain more by treating themselves with mutual respect.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by RSA(m): 11:05am On Nov 30, 2009
others are quick to point out that it was only with the arrival of Nigerians in SA did they know that a black man can look a white man in the face and tell him off. Could this therefore be a source of the conspiracy against Nigerians?

This is a root of all sh@#t,No Black South African in his mind will support this stupid statement,are you telling me the Palestine cannot look in Israelis face and tell them off?even though they've been defeated by the mighty Israelis?
Mpele I think most Nigerians when they come to SA they come with the percetion that the local blacks are just stupid,frighten chickens who are afraid of whites,and it's quite the opposite,South Africans are violent bunch,but they also use their heads,the reason we didn't kill the whites during aapartheid was not because we where afraid,it was because we liston to our leaders,when they asked us to solve this peacefully.

Nigerians are arrogant bunch,and they expect to do that in your backyard,so the treament some get,personaly I think they deserve it.I know lot of good human beings from Nigeria,but we also have people from Ghana,Ivory coast,cameroon,malawi,DRC,Mozambique,leostho,swaziland,botswana,Angola,Namibia who live dignified and peaceful lives in the Republic.

Nigeria has issues of its own and it's got nothing to do with SA,go anywhere in the world, few people say good things about Nigeria.I don't think as South African we should have sleepless nights about this relationship.

1 Like

Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by Mpele(m): 1:50pm On Nov 30, 2009
You see those are the issues, that really devide South Africans and Nigerians. If really Black South Africans were scared of whites, how did the Soweto uprisings happen and all other battles that took place in the country.
What I know is dat black South Africans are the most accomodating people in Africa, what we hate is people who have a sence of entitlement. Nigerians have a tendency of expecting to do as they wish in South Africa because of the fact that the helped South Africans during the apartheid era! As I have said that we're the friendliestsome of the friendliest people in Africa, we can also be the deadliest and most violent if provoked. Zimbabweans and Mozambicans commit the most gruesome crimes in SA, are suppoesed to keep quite no! I'm totally against xenophobia, but the issue is for a layman or an average uneducated black South African, the feeling is of nationalism, they're the ones who remained behind and suffered the wrath of apartheid police, while the likes of Mbeki were dining in Lagos, London & Lusaka.

What I know is dat most South Africans don't like strangers espeecialluy cocky ones! Unfourtunatley dat's wat Nigerians are doing! I don't think U can take your face and go act cocky in Berlin streets, they'll f*&$% U up. This is wat U gonna get here!

The point here is dat South Africans behave themselves when in other countries, dats the opposite of Nigerians. Thats why they feel like they're victimised everywhere. What I know is dat in SA if U can't behave U'll be solved, just like in the US
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by honeric01(m): 2:05pm On Nov 30, 2009
uhm, so what is the main reason for this thread? to indirectly bash Nigeria and Nigerians or what? Being cocky is not a bad thing or is it?
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by Mpele(m): 2:10pm On Nov 30, 2009
no, why would we bash Nigerians! We have people we can bash, clearly not Nigerians!
Its just the sound of the truth to the ear is a bit too much!!!!
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by honeric01(m): 2:13pm On Nov 30, 2009
So? just deal with it bro, Nigerians are Nigerians everywhere, you just can't change a Nigerian from being who he or she is.

Let me tell you, those outside Nigeria are even the ones with less confidence, those still in Nigeria believe nothing is impossible for them, so you thinking Nigerians in SA are cocky, then you ain't seen anything yet.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by RSA(m): 4:32pm On Nov 30, 2009
honeric01:

So? just deal with it bro, Nigerians are Nigerians everywhere, you just can't change a Nigerian from being who he or she is.

Let me tell you, those outside Nigeria are even the ones with less confidence, those still in Nigeria believe nothing is impossible for them, so you thinking Nigerians in SA are cocky, then you ain't seen anything yet.

It's a pity that those who are in Nigeria(I mean the one's you say believe that everything is impossible) they're eager to jump the border at any given time.
Nobody in South Africa has issues with Nigerians,except their reputations.I mean prior to 1994 average South African did not know where or who lives in Nigeria,and when they came they where welcomed with open hands,I remember the Fresca guy('nothing taste like Fresca') I think his name was Kazeem Kai Kazeem or something.And the was Akin Omotola who was a main actor in SA popular soap Generation and his father ,who is a proffessor at the univercity of cape town was a face of Vodacom(SA first and biggest mobile network)

But then came druglords,they took over Hillbrow turned it into a no go area for any decent human being,it became a little Lagos,where you'll find group of guys at any given day or night sitting on the street corners selling drugs,I will give Nigeria credit for being the first blacks to sell drugs to whites.They turned desperate foreign girls moslty from Zimbabwe and Mozambique and some South Africans who come from rural areas coming to Joburg for better jobs in to prostitutions.

Now with that reputation nobody will remember or want to learn what you did ages ago,people will judge you on your current actions.

But having said all that,I think South Africans are very forgiving,look at the current follow up Chris has in Southy.and there are lot of pastors in every corner of SA who have churches and are well supported.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by honeric01(m): 4:53pm On Nov 30, 2009
RSA:

It's a pity that those who are in Nigeria(I mean the one's you say believe that everything is impossible) they're eager to jump the border at any given time.
Nobody in South Africa has issues with Nigerians,except their reputations.I mean prior to 1994 average South African did not know where or who lives in Nigeria,and when they came they where welcomed with open hands,I remember the Fresca guy('nothing taste like Fresca') I think his name was Kazeem Kai Kazeem or something.And the was Akin Omotola who was a main actor in SA popular soap Generation and his father ,who is a proffessor at the univercity of cape town was a face of Vodacom(SA first and biggest mobile network)

But then came druglords,they took over Hillbrow turned it into a no go area for any decent human being,it became a little Lagos,where you'll find group of guys at any given day or night sitting on the street corners selling drugs,I will give Nigeria credit for being the first blacks to sell drugs to whites.They turned desperate foreign girls moslty from Zimbabwe and Mozambique and some South Africans who come from rural areas coming to Joburg for better jobs in to prostitutions.

Now with that reputation nobody will remember or want to learn what you did ages ago,people will judge you on your current actions.

But having said all that,I think South Africans are very forgiving,look at the current follow up Chris has in Southy.and there are lot of pastors in every corner of SA who have churches and are well supported.

Those leaving are the ones i just explained to you in my previous post, i will never leave Nigeria to live elsewhere, and i know there' are alot of Nigerians with this same mentality that i have. those making it here don't have 2 hands, so i will live in my country no matter what happens.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by honeric01(m): 5:08pm On Nov 30, 2009
RSA:

With this statement, i can see that you do not know anything about Lagos nor Nigeria. so i have to stop yarning with you for now because you obviously don't know much about Lagos that you're comparing hillbrow with.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by RSA(m): 5:18pm On Nov 30, 2009
When I said it became little Lagos I meant majority where Nigerians,not the drugs part or prostitutions

honeric01:

Those leaving are the ones i just explained to you in my previous post, i will never leave Nigeria to live elsewhere, and i know there' are alot of Nigerians with this same mentality that i have. those making it here don't have 2 hands, so i will live in my country no matter what happens.

Good for you and also for your country,because people like you are like black South Africans,we stick together,in our country and build it.When you do find us somewhere around the world it will be because we have businesses there or we're there to study or get knowledge.South Africans don't like exploring other countries before they're done with theirs.We are a proud Nation,just like everynation,so we need respect esspecially in our backyard.I know we do respect other nations when we are in their countries even when they're here.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by morpheus24: 4:58pm On Dec 01, 2009
Mpele:

no, why would we bash Nigerians! We have people we can bash, clearly not Nigerians!
Its just the sound of the truth to the ear is a bit too much!!!!

Are you talking about other Africans who are more passive than we are.

In the words of the great Madiba. "Never, Never and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again expericence the oppression of one by another"

Many of you are loosing that message and drifting away from the true warriors of your country. Practice what you preach if you want other peoples respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic1kJ3QN6XY&NR=1
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by adconline(m): 8:38am On Dec 09, 2009
If Nigerians were the problems, why did they kill Zimbabweans, Malawians, Somalis and black Africans as if they (killers) were whites? It's a culture of intolerance and racial superiority. Why was Lucky Dube killed because his killers thought he was Nigerian? Maybe there is a de facto order that black Africans are as bad as racist apartheid regime. The reason why RSA govt is showing interest in Nigeria is becuase of Nigerian market and its potentials not that it wants to talk about human relationships between these two countries. I believe that these so called relationships are very insignificant. In foreign policy, nations keep interests and men/women keep friendships
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by morpheus24: 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2009
adconline:

If Nigerians were the problems, why did they kill Zimbabweans, Malawians, Somalis and black Africans as if they (killers) were whites? It's a culture of intolerance and racial superiority. Why was Lucky Dube killed because his killers thought he was Nigerian? Maybe there is a de facto order that black Africans are as bad as racist apartheid regime. The reason why RSA govt is showing interest in Nigeria is becuase of Nigerian market and its potentials not that it wants to talk about human relationships between these two countries. I believe that these so called relationships are very insignificant. In foreign policy, nations keep interests and men/women keep friendships

100 points!!
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by brooknam99: 2:10am On Dec 14, 2009
The bottomline is the rest africans are usually envious of nigerians.I've been in gatherings where I've heard other african nationals,cus they knw I aint nigerian,talk mad ish about nigerians.usually,there"s no reason for the hate just 'he thinks he"s all that".the thing I seen tho is that the confidence nigerians exhude in any setting usually unsettles others.but,who"s fault is that?
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by honeric01(m): 9:40am On Dec 14, 2009
brooknam99:

the thing I seen tho is that the confidence nigerians exhude in any setting usually unsettles others.but,who"s fault is that?

i wonder oo
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by RSA(m): 10:32am On Dec 14, 2009
Keep dreaming tongue
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 14, 2009
Nigeria is the most popular black country in the world,so we should expect rivalry and hatred from southy and ghana.beside what is so special about that apartheid country anyway?
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by Mpele(m): 1:36pm On Dec 14, 2009
hate, wat hate, cum on now wat would we hate about an overpopulated banana republic, which is of course an embarrasment to the black race!! there are more wonderful countries with wonderful people all around Africa whom we can hold in high regard, Ghana, Cameroon etc. Not of course a bunch of poverty riddled noisy blacks who wear curtains as clothes!!!
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by morpheus24: 2:33pm On Dec 14, 2009
Mpele:

hate, wat hate, come on now wat would we hate about an overpopulated banana republic, which is of course an embarrasment to the black race!! there are more wonderful countries with wonderful people all around Africa whom we can hold in high regard, Ghana, Cameroon etc. Not of course a bunch of poverty riddled noisy blacks who wear curtains as clothes!!!

so says the confused Mixed Coloured Sestwana Kid
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by brooknam99: 12:23am On Dec 17, 2009
did someone mention cameroon as one of the black countries to be proud of? was that a joke? cameroon

**catches a heart attack while laughing**
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by MrMcJay(m): 7:12am On Jan 01, 2010
U men shld 4get these southy boys. They come from a place where they aren't even sure of their paternity cos 7 in 10 women av been raped. U southy dogs, go home and ask your bitchy mamas the true story of your paternity. Useless bafana banana boys.
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by RSA(m): 11:30am On Jan 05, 2010
Mr McJay:

U men shld 4get these southy boys. They come from a place where they aren't even sure of their paternity cos 7 in 10 women av been despoiled. U southy dogs, go home and ask your bitchy mamas the true story of your paternity. Useless bafana banana boys.

grin grin grin Omo, Omo,Omo, how many time have I called your name? grin
Take it easy,you'll have a heart attack.Chew some Kola or something grin
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by morpheus24: 2:46pm On Jan 05, 2010
Mpele:

hate, wat hate, come on now wat would we hate about an overpopulated banana republic, which is of course an embarrasment to the black race!! there are more wonderful countries with wonderful people all around Africa whom we can hold in high regard, Ghana, Cameroon etc. Not of course a bunch of poverty riddled noisy blacks[b] who wear curtains as clothes[/b]!!!

Its really embarrassing that SA's don't wear their traditionals attires more often on a daily basis and you say you are not ashamed of your culture. go anywhere else in Africa you will see this exhibited.

I wonder!
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by Smi1(m): 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2010
I'm not really happy by the way other african nations are being jealous of naija I'm still wondering if we snash their birth right some times ago. Naija is the africa israel FUQ you mpele
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by RSA(m): 8:43am On Jan 11, 2010
S@mi:

I'm not really happy by the way other african nations are being jealous of naija I'm still wondering if we snash their birth right some times ago. Naija is the africa israel FUQ you mpele

Wakey!Wakey grin you are dreaming my friend.Can someone tell me the meaning of JEALOUSY.Because I think Nigerians use a wrong word here.I think the word you're looking for is[b] EMBARRASSED[/b],now please re do your sentence and use the correct word.

You said Naija is the Africa Israel,go ahead and be one,whatever it mean and while you're still on it you might aswell be the al queda of Africa,you people are capable of being anything.Bunch of terrorist grin
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by otawa: 6:09pm On Jan 11, 2010
How can we hate SA?

was it not Nigeria that free them from the clutches of the 'whiteman' that was killing them?

was it not Nigeria that provided free scholarship to their people to come and study in Nigeria?

Now that they have upgraded from 'field slave' to 'house slave' we applaud them.

But sorry we cant hate or love SA, we just pity and understand their predicament.

They are perpetually stuck in transit, to be Black Africans or to be White Africans they dont know,

It reminds of one of the own son which they killed with their hands: 'Roots: I am going
Re: The Love/hate Relationship Between South Africa & Nigeria! by sjeezy8: 11:56pm On Jan 12, 2010
What love hate relationship Nigerians dont like South africans and you clowns hate us, its ok cause we receieve the love from your Hivless South women. tongue

(1) (Reply)

The United States Presidential Motorcade, How It Works(Photos) / Three Members Of A California Family Drown In Ocean Trying To Save Dog / One Third Of World Economy Expected To Be In Recession In 2023, Says IMF Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.