Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Lagos Considers Lifting Ban On Religious Activities In Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Considers Lifting Ban On Religious Activities In Schools (426 Views)

Lagos Considers ‘opon Imo’ For Students / Lifting Ban On Textile? Could The President Be “BRAINLESS” As Been Said? / Government Is Not Supposed To Be Involved In Religious Activities -EL-RUFA'I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Considers Lifting Ban On Religious Activities In Schools by lekanolas: 4:56pm On Apr 18, 2013
The Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola has said his administration is considering lifting the ban on religious activities in primary schools.

Fashola disclosed this during a courtesy visit by members of the Anglican Communion, Diocese of Lagos West, led by the outgoing Bishop, Rt. Rev. Peter Adebiyi.

The governor, who said every major city in the world had its own black spots, disclosed that it was difficult to separate religion from daily activities because, Nigeria’s two major religions preach peace.

Responding to the call by Adebiyi to lift the ban on religious activities in public schools especially primary schools, Fashola said: “I assure you that we will do something on the ban placed on religious studies in our public schools.

I could not agree anymore with suggestion to improve the moral content of learning. And this relates to issues we have also raised that the most intelligent person has no learning if he or she has no compassion and fear of God.

The best professional mean nothing if he or she fails to serve God. And all these are time tested building block of the society. We all must serve God. And I think that it is incumbent to retrace our steps if we have veered off that path or to reinforce it if we haven’t. I assure you we will do something on it.”

Speaking on insecurity challenges in the country, the governor said Nigeria will get better but would require the contribution of everyone.

“Citizens must be self protective and vigilant. And they must share information with the security agencies. Crime detection and prevention is not divination. It is knowledge. So, if citizens distance themselves from security agencies, they have distanced themselves from their security.

The fact that Lagos is safe does not mean we should provoke people to crime. These are some of the senses of internal protection.”

Speaking earlier, Adebiyi who is due to retire on April 27th, said “If your work and your predecessor would be lesser, children must learn to know God. When they learn this, they will know that it is not good to commit crime. I think the government should return to the primary schools for thorough religious studies, so we can rebuild our fallen standard of life. Some may say it is not good, but I believe it is the best. Since government took religious studies away from the schools, we are yet to see any positive results.

“What the children are taught today in religious houses is like a drop of water in the ocean. Many now are nominal Christians and Muslims.

“Everyone is agitating and restless due to the dire situation in the country. I want to appeal that we should now look for what to do for our children,” Adebiyi said.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/lagos-considers-lifting-ban-on-religious-activities-in-schools/

(1) (Reply)

Texas Waco Fertiliser Plant Blast Search For Survivors / APC Manifesto: Jonathan, Obasanjo To Face Probe;removal Of Immunity Proposed / Corruption Massive Under Jonathan – U.S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.