Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:10 AM

Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi (7422 Views)

Buhari Appoints Ibim Semenitari As NDDC Acting Managing Director / I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi / Sanusi Lamido Ado-Bayero Appointed As NPA Managing Director By Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by Nuzo1(m): 10:53am On Apr 19, 2013
Dear prof,

I salute you once again for yet another insightful lecture about Africa and her many "lovers".

I thought you were so detailed and straight to the point. Though you emphasized on some minute points more than other strong and pressing points.

You were more concerened about how the Europeans, Arabs and lately Asians are taking the 'dowry' by force than how our 'rulers' have done and are still doing.

You were also more concerned about black diaspora's interest in Kunta kinte, aquino's past instead of Africca's present.

I'm going to use your marriage and dowry analogy to explain my point:

When an underaged girl is being forced to marry and even pay dowry to an older man like they still do in some parts of India; she may have no choice than to live with it (Except suicide). But when a supposedly advanced, mature, educated and independent lady willingly pays dowry to a man she never loved...a man who has broken her heart in the past several times...a man who she means no good for her. Then, she has herself to be solely blamed.

I also thought Will Ferguson was lazy, greedy, selfish, non-challant, cowardly and condescending hence why he didn't bother to travel to Africa before writing the book. But I blame Africans more for not having the audacity to counter a lot of lies that have been told about Africa. If not through book then through quality movies.

By the way, Ferguson was largely correct in saying that 419 is the greatest invention by Nigeria. Should it had been Nollywood? Is Nollywood not a fraud? The production, direction, screenplay, acting and storyline all depicts fraud. Let's not even talk about fraud in other sections like appointments, elections, contracts, exams, lecturers, traders, allotment, production, APC/PDP, yahoo yahoo etc.

I think We should simply get ourselves more concerned on how we have failed ourselves than how the white man has failed us hundreds of years ago. Until we do this, we may never get to understand that we've been the problem all these while...hence no solution.

I appreciate you Prof. Puis Adesunmi
Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by Nuzo1(m): 11:11am On Apr 19, 2013
Samoo01:

Was that a parody? Or you're indeed so gullible as to believe a ridiculous fallacy circulating through the far left blogosphere?

You probably believe she said she could see Russia from her backyard, too? You know, that Tina Fey's comic on Saturday Night Live that some of your ilk have been attributing to Sarah?

You believe Sarah Palin, a former governor of Alaska, never knew Africa was a continent until 2008? And you want us to take you serious? Yawn!.

I think the far left cashed in from Tina Fey's SNL skits; huge time. The skit was one of the major political tool the American politicians have used since the Watergate scandal. And it worked for them.

However, from her interviews, public speeches and debates, Sarah Palin was just a little bit above the character she was depicted as in SNL/Tina Fey's skit.
Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by firestar(f): 11:59am On Apr 19, 2013
This lecture exposes yet another irony:

Reverse dowry payment.
Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by Kairoseki77: 7:22pm On Apr 19, 2013

Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by since1914(m): 7:23pm On Apr 19, 2013
Africans also have a share in the blame...we have completely entombed our own story. African History ought to be a fundamental part of our school curriculum. Our history is a lot deeper than a few pages of social studies lessons. Today, even History majors in Nigeria, have very little idea about our story.
Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by Kairoseki77: 7:32pm On Apr 19, 2013
Samoo01:

Was that a parody? Or you're indeed so gullible as to believe a ridiculous fallacy circulating through the far left blogosphere?

You probably believe she said she could see Russia from her backyard, too? You know, that Tina Fey's comic on Saturday Night Live that some of your ilk have been attributing to Sarah?

You believe Sarah Palin, a former governor of Alaska, never knew Africa was a continent until 2008? And you want us to take you serious? Yawn!.

The "far left"...hmmmmm.

"According to Fox News Chief Political Correspondent Carl Cameron, there was great concern within the McCain campaign that Palin lacked "a degree of knowledgeability necessary to be a running mate, a vice president, a heartbeat away from the presidency," in part because she didn't know which countries were in NAFTA, and she "didn't understand that Africa was a continent, rather than a series, a country just in itself.""

Watch this video from Fox News and tell me again about the far left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3dkiWncf2k

Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by IleIfe2(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2013
Wow, so reagan and thatcher opposed sanctions on aparthied S.A. MFs
Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by osinachii: 10:03am On Apr 20, 2013
Jonathan dun suffer

Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by cheikh: 11:34pm On Apr 20, 2013
PhysicsQED

@OP Sincerely, it is an interesting read but not exactly profound. Any African from the continent who has the good fortune of travelling around the Americas(north/South) and encountering our Cousins in Diaspora, must have asked/dialogued with them as to come away with similar world views as Pius has about the 'African tragedy' which he elegantly couched metaphorically as 'Love affair' and 'Dowry' between the warped arrogant powerful and the weak.
Many Africans have alluded to similar observations before even on NL and I guess Chimamanda in her latest book gives her version of similar observations in the USA/Diaspora in the dangers of single stories and confusions about self affirmation/definition/identity in encounters with the 'West' hence I may say his lecture is not profound/original but for the title.
As for the name Nkunzimana it is a name peculiar to Burundi & Rwanda very similar; East DRC and some parts of Uganda. as they share almost similar ethic groups and 'problems' - Tutsi. wink
I appreciate the write up as away of spreading informed diverse education amongst our very uninformed citizenry as History as we know it is Dead in the Nigerian/African Academia(Schools).
Re: Managing Africa's Many Lovers - Pius Adesanmi by Dibiachukwu: 12:28am On Apr 21, 2013
White people suck balls.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures:mavins Crew, YBNL Nation, Davido Storms APC Rally / "Forget The ‘mother Of All Bombs,’ Meet The Russian-made ‘daddy’ " / Lucky Irabor: Nigeria Armed Forces’ Subordination To Civil Rule Not In Doubt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.