Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? (12239 Views)

Why Can't I Access My Perfectmoney Account From My Bb Phone? / Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom / Tips On Saving For Investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by jpphilips(m): 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2013
Twenty5: I just discovered that no matter how hard i try to save in a month other things of necessities must come up,i am not even talking of my wife to be who is not even demanding.I have read books on finance.i have applied them and it works but within the past three months have not being able to maintain this useful principles i derived from books.

Can someone help me out on what to do and also share with me any story of yours that can help?

you forgot that most inspirational books are fictions written to entertain you not necessarily to be applied, some of them have no real workability in the real sense of life.
about savings, forget it, just increase your income.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Pennywise(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
coogar:

read more and pass more exams!
it's obvious your lifestyle and your remuneration are not in sync. i don't believe in suffering myself in order to live a good life. if it's not enough, have it at the back of your mind you can make more money - follow that pathway and the mouthwatering job shall be yours!

Must you display your ignorance wherever you go? Pizz off. How does seeking financial empowerment equate to getting a bigger job? You see where you hung yourself again mr analyst?
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
Those asking him to increase his income, if you cannot manage $100, what makes you believe he will manage $1,000? Management is key, this is what separates the U.S. and China today. China is a saving economy no matter how small their citizens earn while U.S. is a spending/credit economy no matter how big their average earners are and Nigeria is gradually copying their template.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by PHIPEX(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
[img] [/img] I'll advise you start a compulsory savings product such as the ones offered by insurance companies, it'll make you see savings as a necessity.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
Once a detailed spreadsheet is created, one has gotta see it through. Thoroughly typing out my expenditure vs income is far better for my bank balance than the posted statement I used to throw away without a second glance. Works in sync with budgeting for a specific thing undecided
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 5:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
PHIPEX: [img] [/img]

Excellent. This is why I like to model after him, I'm gradually on the road to becoming Africa's billionaire grin grin
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by snthesis(m): 5:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
uboma:

The key word here is discipline. Without it, even if u earn a million naira on a monthly basis, u still won't be able to save. I have a friend who worked in one of the banks (well before Sanusi Lamido became the CBN governor), then the salary and allowances was so attracting. He worked for 4 years before buying his first car. I remember some colleagues then used to call him names like 'stingy fellow' and the like. He will always ask for a lift from colleagues after work. He eventually bought his car in the fourth year with no bank loan. He single handed ly bought the car from the investments he had. He had a lot of shares then and other businesses that were doing well and it was from the dividends then that he bought a car worth 1.5 million naira way back in 2006. The lesson here is that he remained focused and disciplined himself to save and avoid going into debt like his colleagues who were always assessing car loans and the like.
abeg, leave story 4 tortoise, wat wud u say to guys dat suffered starved demself of pleasure to invest in shares only to watch all dat money become worthless
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by 5much(m): 5:51pm On Apr 22, 2013
Here ar some of d things u could do:
(1)Live within ur income.reduce ur expenses.
(2)Have more than one source of income.try nd make more money.
(3)Open another account in another bank different from where ur salary account is,go to ur bank and give a standing order that some % of ur salary b automatically transferred to that account every month. Do not collect d atm for dat account.
(4)Join a coperative(contribution) group in ur office or neighbourhood where a number of pple will agree to contribute a particular sum of amount every month and give same to a one of d members,so each member can collect turn by turn.

Do all these and thank me later.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Pennywise(m): 5:53pm On Apr 22, 2013
@Burger
Dont mind the fool. He takes his ignorance every where. Its either a big job or he dies. Surely he has not heared of self employment or alternative means of generating income alongside job

A little bit of commonsense goes a long way. It seems all he is good for is dishing out second hand insults all over NL. Odeh.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2013
For me, I don't believe in the "big job/income" theory, that's just wrong. There are people who earn several tens of thousands even hundred of thousand, in large pile/buried in debt, everything they own is credit. Income is good/great, but not always the answer, discipline is.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 22, 2013
da-gentility:
Hmm,sorry oo,maybe you need deliverance cos somtimes it a spiritual matter.
smh. So after the 'deliverance' he'll now automatically know how to save money abi?

Kai! Nigerians and spirituality. Really pathetic!
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 6:06pm On Apr 22, 2013
coogar:

this is too simplistic.
management is not the problem here - he said he has tried everything but no avail. how can you manage deficit? if you earn N1000 a month and your cost of living in a month is N990, what is there to manage? why not raise that N1000 to N3000 and save the balance?

Perhaps he hasn't tried everything and thinks he has tried it all, more reason why he needs to go through savings/coaching class. The only way to manage deficit/debt is through efficient debt management - either your restructure your debt or consolidate it, better yet, if you're lucky, it's written off. As anyone knows me, I'm not a fan of "debt" but I welcome prudential spending.

If you earn $1,000 monthly and your cost of living is $990, then you have a problem. Like I previously stated, saving before spending is very important. If he's forced to live within $800, bet me, HE WILL. It may not be the perfect situation, but he will.

If you like raise it to $10,000 and give him all the bonus available, his problems WILL NEVER STOP. Problems never end, you end problems.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Burger01(m): 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2013
@Coogar and Pennywise pls take it easy bros. We here to learn and share and at the same time encourage and give advice.

@Op, abeg, are you employed or self-employed? Is what you earn could at the very least take you to your door steps? Do you think on a neutral level of play you supposed or you could 'save' from your pay? Abeg come clear issues so we don't turn this thread to cyber war.

sad
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by SweetLola: 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2013
Well my one tip is to pay yourself or your savings first

First examine your finances and decide how much you can / would like to save. Get a new bank account one without a cheque book or bank/ atm card and then as soon as you get your salary before you do anything else put away your savings and don't touch it.

You first target should be to build up 6 months worth of living expenses in savings.

An example is is you earn N150,000 ( I understand this is average or a fair salary in Nigeria ? ) Determine you will save at least N45k every single month (or whatever you decide) . So put N45l away as soon as you receive your salary into a designated.

Also it is sometimes just as easy to cut costs as it is to make money . So examine your current life style and see what savings can be made (please spend a little bit on your girlfriend especially if she is the type that doesn't ask ). Generally your rent is more than 30% of your income then it isn't really affordable

I have always done the above and no matter how low my pay has been in life some how I've always been able to save ...it came in very useful once when I was made redundant ...it was comforting to know I could go another 6 months before the money I'd but away for rent and food ran out

Once you have 6 months of living expenses saved up , continue saving for other projects or to invest.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by jpphilips(m): 6:10pm On Apr 22, 2013
manny4life: Those asking him to increase his income, if you cannot manage $100, what makes you believe he will manage $1,000? Management is key, this is what separates the U.S. and China today. China is a saving economy no matter how small their citizens earn while U.S. is a spending/credit economy no matter how big their average earners are and Nigeria is gradually copying their template.

it is not meant exactly that way some people make money outside their salary, by so doing, the salary becomes savings.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 22, 2013
You don´t need to save,spend all your money when you can.It is better to spend money like there's no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there's no money.You don´t get rich by saving,you need to spend money to make money lipsrsealed
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by coogar: 6:15pm On Apr 22, 2013
manny4life:
Perhaps he hasn't tried everything and thinks he has tried it all, more reason why he needs to go through savings/coaching class. The only way to manage deficit/debt is through efficient debt management - either your restructure your debt or consolidate it, better yet, if you're lucky, it's written off. As anyone knows me, I'm not a fan of "debt" but I welcome prudential spending.

you cannot spend below a cut-off point as well.......that is my point!
he's learned with the potential to increase his income, why must he underutilize himself? we are not talking about an office cleaner or an office assistant here - we are talking about an employee who can advance his career and get more income!

If you earn $1,000 monthly and your cost of living is $990, then you have a problem. Like I previously stated, saving before spending is very important. If he's forced to live within $800, bet me, HE WILL. It may not be the perfect situation, but he will.

he won't!
some sort of dignity comes with working in a professional environment too. if we are working in the same company and earning the same wages - how would you feel if i keep coming to you for yeye favours? come on - think clearly! if one has to lower himself to the level of a vagrant to save money then we should all give up then and take to the streets and do corporate begging!

If you like raise it to $10,000 and give him all the bonus available, his problems WILL NEVER STOP. Problems never end, you end problems.

you are mixing issues.....
if the op had said he spends lavishly on unnecessary things then i can understand. financial indiscipline is not the problem - his income is just too low to fit his profile. the only solution is to freeze the expenses and increase the income!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 6:15pm On Apr 22, 2013
jp philips:

it is not meant exactly that way some people make money outside their salary, by so doing, the salary becomes savings.

You guys are the ones who brought in salary, the topic was about savings though. Regardless of whether he has several sources of incomes other than salary, my bottom line is, if he's not disciplined enough to SAVE, then it doesn't matter.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by coogar: 6:16pm On Apr 22, 2013
manny4life:
You guys are the ones who brought in salary, the topic was about savings though. Regardless of whether he has several sources of incomes other than salary, my bottom line is, if he's not disciplined enough to SAVE, then it doesn't matter.

that's another argument!
the op is disciplined......and his fiancée is not demanding!
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by softangel(m): 6:17pm On Apr 22, 2013
yuzedo: Ohhhhhhhh GOD!!!! angry angry People are hear complane about saveing saveing, am in my Banana Island mansion tinking how will i taa my money. You thought is easy to be eatin N1million everyday in my Banana Island Big Boys Club? undecided Well if ur a sweet babes and u think u have talent to ate money, hola at me les see. Is hard to eat money finish ezioku. Suya suya turkey turkey everyday! angry God why did u have to make me reach?? Oh God, i need a babes to help me finish my money! embarassed sad u poor people dont have problem ezioku, my other Reach friend normally laffs at me undecided

Where is ur Understanding English Book 1 and Brighter Grammar Part 1?
undecided
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 22, 2013
softangel:

Where is ur Understanding English Book 1 and Brighter Grammar Part 1?
undecided
you no get work sha. Na yuzedo you de take serious?
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 6:25pm On Apr 22, 2013
coogar:

you cannot spend below a cut-off point as well.......that is my point!
he's learned with the potential to increase his income, why must he underutilize himself? we are not talking about an office cleaner or an office assistant here - we are talking about an employee who can advance his career and get more income!

Again, you can get paid $1million and still be in debt without savings --------> FACT.

Office Assistant or CEO, it does not matter, whatever level of income you make, you should be able to put something to the side and readjust other things. I gave you an example of U.S. and China, the average worker in China earns 10x less than their counterparts here in the U.S., but the average Chinese worker has 3x more saving than their U.S. relative. Did you see the income and saving disparity?

coogar:

he won't!
some sort of dignity comes with working in a professional environment too. if we are working in the same company and earning the same wages - how would you feel if i keep coming to you for yeye favours? come on - think clearly! if one has to lower himself to the level of a vagrant to save money then we should all give up then and take to the streets and do corporate begging!

Did you say dignity? There's no dignity in working for someone else and receiving insults regardless of your position. You work to earn a living, integrity and respect is important but don't pay the bills. As for favors, that's a personal thing, like I said, you go to work to do a job, and earn a wage ---- Contract. Please, let's not bring social work issues into the topic, let's stick to savings/income.

coogar:

you are mixing issues.....
if the op had said he spends lavishly on unnecessary things then i can understand. financial indiscipline is not the problem - his income is just too low to fit his profile. the only solution is to freeze the expenses and increase the income!

Like the OP stated what he spends on, again, my point is not lavish spending that's why I said "wants and needs", two different terms people confuse very often. You want to buy a t-shirt for work, do you need the t-shirt, YES, do you need a $100 t-shirt whereas a $30 can serve same purpose, NO. This is not lavish spending like clubbing or vacationing, but drawing two terms of wants and needs. I gave an example, my co-workers spend an average of $8 daily on lunch, do they need lunch daily, YES (NEED), do they have to spend $8 daily to buy lunch yet you're broke, NO.

My point is, sooner people begin to identify differences between want and need, the better.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by ronnyfam(f): 6:28pm On Apr 22, 2013
It is sometimes difficult but this is what really help me. Once I collect my salary I first pay 10% of my salary as my tithe to the church and another 10% to myself,I opened an account to mutual benefit, I issued out a post dated chq of 50k , once my salary land,50k is out of my salary,every month and I won't have access to it for like 3yrs,the rest I plan my life on the rest of the salary.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by yuzedo: 6:28pm On Apr 22, 2013
james.ope04:
stupendous ignoramus.. U cal this an advice? Mtcheew
HILARIOUS! THE VEX CAME FROM HIS SOUL! *tears* grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

brokoto: you no get work sha. Na yuzedo you de take serious?
HALT!!!! angry angry angry Whadda fuckkkkk does that mean?! angry cry
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by coogar: 6:35pm On Apr 22, 2013
manny4life:
Again, you can get paid $1million and still be in debt without savings --------> FACT.

even for a disciplined employee? grin

Office Assistant or CEO, it does not matter, whatever level of income you make, you should be able to put something to the side and readjust other things. I gave you an example of U.S. and China, the average worker in China earns 10x less than their counterparts here in the U.S., but the average Chinese worker has 3x more saving than their U.S. relative. Did you see the income and saving disparity?

if you subject your workers in the US to the working conditions of that china then you would go to jail for various offences. besides, the cost of living and the minimum wage of both countries also play a big role. you can't compare the two!

Did you say dignity? There's no dignity in working for someone else and receiving insults regardless of your position. You work to earn a living, integrity and respect is important but don't pay the bills. As for favors, that's a personal thing, like I said, you go to work to do a job, and earn a wage ---- Contract. Please, let's not bring social work issues into the topic, let's stick to savings/income.

i am not talking about the insult you receive from your employers - i am talking of the insults you would get from your fellow colleagues while trying to he a free loader. you and i work in the same department, earning the same pay and you expect me to buy your lunch and drop you home everyday because you want to save? na yam?

Like the OP stated what he spends on, again, my point is not lavish spending that's why I said "wants and needs", two different terms people confuse very often. You want to buy a t-shirt for work, do you need the t-shirt, YES, do you need a $100 t-shirt whereas a $30 can serve same purpose, NO. This is not lavish spending like clubbing or vacationing, but drawing two terms of wants and needs. I gave an example, my co-workers spend an average of $8 daily on lunch, do they need lunch daily, YES (NEED), do they have to spend $8 daily to buy lunch yet you're broke, NO.

your examples are quite funny!
who's talking about t-shirts or lunch? there are necessary expenses. rent, transportation, utility bills, etc. how do you manage that? sleep on the streets or sleep at the back of the bus? switch off your light at all times to evade high gas bills or use urine instead of petrol to power the car?

My point is, sooner people begin to identify differences between want and need, the better.

at the bottom level, needs = wants!
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by FXKing2012(m): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 6:42pm On Apr 22, 2013
Ok Coogar,

This argument leads no where, if you honestly believe a big job will solve your problems, GOOD LUCK on your thoughts. For me, big job doesn't, you need discipline ... PERIOD. This has worked for me, I'm a good testimony to it, I've seen many others who have witnessed same thing, therefore, we may not share same ideologies but this is MINE. OP is at the discretion to decide what he wants, as for me, I've said my own.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by idriis: 6:55pm On Apr 22, 2013
coogar:

mumu!
uneducated fowl like you want to advise someone else how to manage his income....what do you know about finance?
abeg make una nor fight for here oh.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SEC On Lockdown Over Attempt To Reinstate Suspended DG, Gwarzo / Upwork Account price slash to 2k / FG To Sell Nigerian Communications Satellite –BPE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.