Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? (12250 Views)

Why Can't I Access My Perfectmoney Account From My Bb Phone? / Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom / Tips On Saving For Investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by yogun(f): 7:05pm On Apr 22, 2013
merciie: I suggest you join a sort of cooperative society, where your money is deducted from the source, that way you won't have a choice than to "manage" the remaining you have at your disposal. That way you can now withdraw your savings at the end of a particular period and use it for something tangible

This has been my only savings plan and retirement plan too... I hope to increase d mthly contribution soon. I also have access to various types of loans which I can use to finance projects
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Winneygirl(f): 7:14pm On Apr 22, 2013
Sweetlola spoke well.
But I think we can make it easier.
:
E.g. With Stanbic IBTC bank (My bank), U can open a contractsave acct. If Ur payday is 21st, U can instruct dat a Standing Order (Auto-debit) be placed on Ur salary acct, to move a certain amt every month to Ur contractsave acct.
:
This implies that U dont have to manually move money. The system does it. Then U knw dat wat's left is wat U have to spend.
:
U cant use an ATM card on dis acct, and U cant withdraw part of wat has accumulated, unless the acct is terminated.
:
2 me, dis is much easier.
:
No matter how big/small Ur salary is, always make sure there's something tucked away somewhere.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 22, 2013
once you are married and the kids come, you are in the rat race

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by uboma(m): 7:30pm On Apr 22, 2013
Twenty5:

thank ou for this piece,i love it

you are welcome bro. Remember u can start saving no matter how meagre ur income is. I know of someone who's single and earns 155k monthly but hardly saves a dime. Within 6 months, he cant even brag of 200k. So you dont have to earn millions to start saving. Frm the little u have, set aside a certain percentage to save and remain focused and disciplined. All the best to you

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by nenergy(m): 7:34pm On Apr 22, 2013
A budget tells you where the money is going, instead of wondering where it went. Draw a 'tough' budget and adhere to it for a month. The result will shock you. Its working for me. Just 5 months into my current job, i've saved enough to publish my book. Goodluck @Op
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by coogar: 7:38pm On Apr 22, 2013
manny4life: Ok Coogar,
This argument leads no where, if you honestly believe a big job will solve your problems, GOOD LUCK on your thoughts. For me, big job doesn't, you need discipline ... PERIOD. This has worked for me, I'm a good testimony to it, I've seen many others who have witnessed same thing, therefore, we may not share same ideologies but this is MINE. OP is at the discretion to decide what he wants, as for me, I've said my own.

big job worked for me.
i earn so much more than i can ever spend in a month. there was a point i was stuck too. by the time i take out my expenses from my wages, the remainder is so little so i went for the kill. did few certification courses and i got the big job. life hasn't been the same since then - my only regret is the time wasted in my ex-company. i should have seen the light much earlier.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by uboma(m): 7:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
snthesis:
abeg, leave story 4 tortoise, wat wud u say to guys dat suffered starved demself of pleasure to invest in shares only to watch all dat money become worthless

i also lost a good chunk of my money too, so i know better. But read thru my first post and u will see that inaddition to investing in shares, my guy also had some businesses going on.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by freeman11(m): 8:45pm On Apr 22, 2013
indiscipline is not his problem, the income is the problem. [/quote][/font]

i love the emboldened statement very well... savings is more like a way of life (that makes you feel you are doing something good) than a pathway to success. we worry too much about the future that we fail to live in the present. Dolly Parton will say: "in the meantime, in between time let us learn to live".savings is not the problem of alotta peep, income is.

how? you ask me

build more on your investment, learn to harness resources, avoid going solo but invest on ideas, skill etc and watch your income grow. dont spend your money on booze and women and call that "living", invest in things that will uplift your life generally and see your worth grow.
who knows you might just discover your identity

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by adconline(m): 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
Ascribe monetary value to every expenditure. Use everyday metric like 1 Mtn recharge card. How many recharge cards would use in a day and consider it economical or wasteful?
If you go out and spend like 15k with friend while ur rent is 360k/yr, it means that u ve spent ur 2-wk rent on hanging out with friend.
Ascribing real value to expenditure might help you.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by lurkee(f): 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2013
Start with a budget first. It helps show the big picture.

10% of my income goes to my pension which is untouchable till I am 55 years. A long term by force account might help someone like you.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by beanos(m): 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2013
okorafor aboy: re-shape ur life and the way u spend.minimize ur spending,then plan ahead.try give ur wife some money to keep for you.

Quite agree with you, but that is when that woman of urs knows the value of saving for the rainy days and also not the materialistic type.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by obiseq: 9:25pm On Apr 22, 2013
Sincerely, to save is very difficult but wit self displine and determination, it is possible.@ OP, just know dat whoever dat is not SAVE is not SAFE. U can use dis satistics 20percent on saving d rest 80pcent on other expenses.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by spyroxy1(m): 9:37pm On Apr 22, 2013
Twenty5:

The key word here is discipline. Without it, even if u earn a million naira on a monthly basis, u still won't be able to save. I have a friend who worked in one of the banks (well before Sanusi Lamido became the CBN governor), then the salary and allowances was so attracting. He worked for 4 years before buying his first car. I remember some colleagues then used to call him names like 'stingy fellow' and the like. He will always ask for a lift from colleagues after work. He eventually bought his car in the fourth year with no bank loan. He single handed ly bought the car from the investments he had. He had a lot of shares then and other businesses that were doing well and it was from the dividends then that he bought a car worth 1.5 million naira way back in 2006. The lesson here is that he remained focused and disciplined himself to save and avoid going into debt like his colleagues who were always assessing car loans and the like.

thank you for this piece,i love it

A nice 1 there
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Sike(m): 9:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
You ain't alone, Poster. I am there with you. May God have mercy.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by dc555: 9:59pm On Apr 22, 2013
N18,000 thousand naira salary, 5 children and one housewive. Discipline ko, savings ni.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Blazinraj01(f): 10:05pm On Apr 22, 2013
softangel:

Where is ur Understanding English Book 1 and Brighter Grammar Part 1?
undecided
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 22, 2013
yuzedo:

HALT!!!! angry angry angry Whadda fuckkkkk does that mean?! angry cry
who no know you na learner. cheesy
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by gmcb: 11:22pm On Apr 22, 2013
@op, save a fixed amount via an auto-debit arrangement for a year and start somfin in line wt realestate.
Have a yearly target savings and decide wt to use it for before the end of the years.
I always advise people to start projects that r bigger than them, that way u'd be forced to achieve somfin. If ur present salry and projection can build a 2bedroom flat conveniently in two years,stretch ursef a bit and plan for 2units of 3bedroom flat to be completed in four years. With that in mind, every income u get there's an autoreminder in ur mind on how many blocks/cement that income ll do.
Also whatever balance u ve, place it on tight budget.
Also be finacially accountable to someone in ds case ur fiance may do
Try it for 3months and u ll marvel at ur progress
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by delpee(f): 12:16am On Apr 23, 2013
Discipline your mind, set specific achievable targets and be comitted by operating a standing order based term savings scheme which has no atm withrawal options. Try some banking, insurance and pension fund products. Also open an account with stockbrokers and buy shares as often as you can even if in small quantities.

I tried most of the above and have no regrets.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

you are a miserable cünt....
so degrading himself like a pauper is his only means of saving money? are you a slave of money or money is your slave?

the op is not careless with his money
read his comment very well - he said no matter how hard he tried he finds it difficult to save at the end of the month. indiscipline is not his problem, the income is the problem.
I go with coogar 100%. Living like a pauper just in an attempt to scrounge some little change together in the name of savings is counter-productive! Its a sure recipe for a miserable existence. Income must be tangible first off.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by kodewrita(m): 8:32am On Apr 23, 2013
1) Start eating your own cooked meals.
2) Stop trying to impress/oppress that X person you are trying to impress/oppress.
3) Reduce the amount of entertainment you PAY for.
4) Either involve your bank in deducting cash from your account solely for savings/investment or Invest in a project that would involve them withdrawing the cash from your salary account monthly.
5) Finally, keep track of how much you have left ALL THE TIME. its easier to spend unconsciously than when you know how many pennies are left.
6) Space out your major expenses.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by cmespeak: 9:50am On Apr 23, 2013
Well by nw u wld have gotten at least 1 or 2 strong financial advice here,let me just add this book THE MILLIONAIRE IN YOU[TEN THIUNGS U NEED TO DO NOW TO HAVE MONEY AND THE TIME TO ENJOY IT] by MICHAEL LeBOEUF.

You will really gain financial discipline from this book cause i did too. Pls get and go through it.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by mokeju(f): 11:41am On Apr 23, 2013
Winneygirl: Sweetlola spoke well.
But I think we can make it easier.
:
E.g. With Stanbic IBTC bank (My bank), U can open a contractsave acct. If Ur payday is 21st, U can instruct dat a Standing Order (Auto-debit) be placed on Ur salary acct, to move a certain amt every month to Ur contractsave acct.
:
This implies that U dont have to manually move money. The system does it. Then U knw dat wat's left is wat U have to spend.
:
U cant use an ATM card on dis acct, and U cant withdraw part of wat has accumulated, unless the acct is terminated.
:
2 me, dis is much easier.
:
No matter how big/small Ur salary is, always make sure there's something tucked away somewhere.

... Whats the standard rate for this account?
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by seunex4real: 1:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
Save b4 u spend and not the other way round.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by sunnyt1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 23, 2013
Twenty5: I just discovered that no matter how hard i try to save in a month other things of necessities must come up,i am not even talking of my wife to be who is not even demanding.I have read books on finance.i have applied them and it works but within the past three months have not being able to maintain this useful principles i derived from books.

Can someone help me out on what to do and also share with me any story of yours that can help?

It goes beyond reading books, its genetic most times bt can still be learnt, its abt self discipline, self deprivation and focus. A friend once asked me the same question bt afta tellin him the whole tin he started arguing.

God has put everytin u need to be comfortable in ur direction, its left 4 u 2 manage it. Mind u, its nt spiritual, it is physical and mental.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by jpphilips(m): 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2013
manny4life: Those asking him to increase his income, if you cannot manage $100, what makes you believe he will manage $1,000? Management is key, this is what separates the U.S. and China today. China is a saving economy no matter how small their citizens earn while U.S. is a spending/credit economy no matter how big their average earners are and Nigeria is gradually copying their template.

"manage" simply means, you dont have enough, now im not talking about spending on frivolities, im talking about taking care of your real needs, you need no savings for that, i will understand it is not easy to create wealth but savings is definitely not the answer, i don't know any rich man that saves, never ever! ask around.

when forbes was rating dangote, did you hear them mention one bank account with 10b usd? its not possible, but you will hear about equities, assets etc, funds are not meant to be saved, they are meant to be tied to productive things if you stand any chance of making it.

what do you think is obj's account balance? just guess!!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by freestuffsonnet(m): 4:10pm On Aug 29, 2013
The best way to save and to keep your savings is OPEN A NEW Bank account, don't activate any Atm card on it.
Don't ask for a withdrawer slip. keep depositing your savings therin. You are just discipline yourself not to
touch the fund until wen you really needs it. U got the idea?
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by gwobo(m): 10:52am On Sep 06, 2013
Well said, focus and discipline. Just get a sharing formula and distribute accordingly.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by ananwune: 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
I can't save as well. But I discovered that I can actually save if I am saving to wards something. With that target in mind you can save. That's how it works for
V zme.

Saving in a bank too does not work for me as well. The method I adopt is the use of insurance corporate saving. Here I give an agreed amount monthly to the insurance company. The beauty of it is that u can't easily liquidate the money until maturity. Try it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cryptocurrency Trading As Plan B For Beginners / SEC On Lockdown Over Attempt To Reinstate Suspended DG, Gwarzo / FG To Sell Nigerian Communications Satellite –BPE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.