Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,633 members, 7,847,650 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 11:25 PM

Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. (753 Views)

Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" / Israeli Security Forces Spray Raw Sewage At Palestinian Homes / Newborn Baby Dumped Into Sewage In Zamfara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by EloSela(f): 2:26pm On Apr 10, 2008
As we don't have a section for news or current affairs, I have decided to post this photo journal here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/08/africa_nigeria0s_rubbish_scavengers/html/1.stm

I know of lot of you have misgivings about the western media’s portrayal of Nigeria but I for one don’t have an issue with it.

The Nigerian media would never report something like this and so, as you would have it, these people end up being forgotten by the Government who is failing them miserably.

If anything such images should be used to name and shame the Government into taking drastic action to help improve the lives of its people.
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by 4Play(m): 3:01pm On Apr 10, 2008
There is a reason you hear a lot of frenzied squealing by many concerning the media's portrayal of Nigeria-they simply don't get it.They represent a demographic that is far removed from the average Nigerian.

Take this forum for instance,the mere fact that we have access to the internet puts us in a 'privileged' minority.Even according to Govt figures,most Nigerians don't have access to electricity,never mind the internet.

The squealing you get here comes from a privileged few who cannot appreciate what it means to survive on peasant farming,hawking goods or being a petty trader.Go into the street and ask a roadside hawker or wheel barrow pusher whether the western media,to the extent he or she has access to it,is placing too much emphasis on the negative and the answer will be a resounding no.

The vast majority of Nigerians have no voice.Those who complain here are juxtaposing their living standards with the living standards of the average Nigerian.We need to demonstrate a greater degree of perceptiveness to realize that our experiences are hardly representative of the acute poverty most Nigerians are experiencing with little or no hope of escape.
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 10, 2008
That is appauling cry
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by oldie(m): 3:42pm On Apr 10, 2008
They are not scavenging for food.
They scavenge for things they can recycle like metal, bottles or jars.
These items are big business locally.
Better this than joblessness!
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by EloSela(f): 3:52pm On Apr 10, 2008
@4Play

I totally agree.
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by EloSela(f): 3:58pm On Apr 10, 2008
oldie:

You think it is alright for young children to risk their health scavenging in putrid green waters and disease infested rubbish pits for things to sell?
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by oldie(m): 4:11pm On Apr 10, 2008
I am sorry, I will prefer they do this than being jobless, thats my point
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by ifyalways(f): 4:16pm On Apr 10, 2008
oldie:

so embarassing but true.
They scavenge and transport anything as long as it brings in money.sometime ago in Osha,lagos and Aba,it was the easiest ways of carrying arms and ammunition by robbers.
such a pity ! what a job !  embarassed
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by EloSela(f): 4:35pm On Apr 10, 2008
oldie:

I am sorry, I will prefer they do this than being jobless, thats my point

These are children not adults!

They are allowed to be jobless as they should be in school and not risking their health trying to feed themselves!

It is disgusting. In the meantime the Government is trying to keep up with the Joneses by spending billions in Abuja when really the money should be going into programs to help the poor. . .
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by EloSela(f): 6:08pm On Apr 10, 2008
It must also be noted that the western media never tend to gloss over the ills in their society like the Nigerians do.

On the BBC, there is a whole section related to poverty in the UK and on CNN America, plenty of stories relating to those Americans who are clinging to the lower rung of society. This is one sign that the plights of such people are being noted and talked about, with a view to drastic reforms being implemented. The current Shannon Mathew’s story in the UK is an example.

Why are Nigerians more concerned about saving face than dealing more than 70% of the population who cannot afford 3 meals a day? The Nigerian media are more concerned about reporting on the latest development in Abuja and latest Owambe party in London. But when someone exposes their a$$ for them they cry foul. But still, they do nothing.
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by 4Play(m): 6:17pm On Apr 10, 2008
EloSela:

It must also be noted that the western media never tend to gloss over the ills in their society like the Nigerians do.

On the BBC, there is a whole section related to poverty in the UK and on CNN America, plenty of stories relating to those Americans who are clinging to the lower rung of society. This is one sign that the plights of such people are being noted and talked about, with a view to drastic reforms being implemented. The current Shannon Mathew’s story in the UK is an example.

Check any major western newspaper's front page and most of the content on domestic issues is resoundingly negative.That is how the media operates.It brings up the cliche,"dog bites man isn't news,man bites dog is".

Its only in dictatorial countries like N.Korea or Burma that the local media mainly focuses on the good news or deliberately goes out of their way to find 'positive' news.
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Apr 10, 2008
EloSela:

Why are Nigerians more concerned about saving face than dealing more than 70% of the population who cannot afford 3 meals a day? The Nigerian media are more concerned about reporting on the latest development in Abuja and latest Owambe party in London. But when someone exposes their a$$ for them they cry foul. But still, they do nothing.

Thank you for being a very honest Nigerian
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by Nobody: 6:12am On Apr 11, 2008
EloSela:

It baffles me too . There are a lot of stories that would have been dealt with if only the media put their priorities in place and die to self. Sometimes I wonder on what basis these media houses win awards in Nigeria . It's really shameful that foreigners come into the country, get stories that we are not even aware of in the abundance of tv , radio stations, newspapers and so forth.

If anything such images should be used to name and shame the Government into taking drastic action to help improve the lives of its people.

I'm in 100% behind this.
Re: Naija Children scavenge in Sewage. by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Apr 11, 2008
stillwater:

I'm in 100% behind this.

Same here, infact, I think it is best for us to start harping on the negative to force them to do something about it down there. Imagine how someone with a complete brain would, seeing what is going on in Zimbabwe would instead feel more energy should be focused on the western media as he tries to claim the western media for not showing good pictures of Zimbabwe according to him? This is the story across africa. We are week when it comes to announcing our faults but when the outside world does, we go after them as if it is made up stuff.

(1) (Reply)

How We Shared N10m Iyabo Obasanjo / The Iluminati / Pdp To Rule Nigeria For 60 Years-pdp National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.