Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies (4214 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by nddy(m): 5:01pm On Aug 16, 2005
Nigerian American wannabe, how irritating can that be?

I often see Nigerians trying to act like Americans in their movies, The only word they use is men, you know men, please how irritating can this be ?
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2005
I've seen a movie like that. The guy kept saying he came from studying in America but he had the worst accent. He was trying to hide his natural accent and sound american...but it sounded bad sad
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 12:20am On Aug 18, 2005
they often sound like crap.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 12:24am On Aug 18, 2005
So true.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by hotangel2(f): 5:30am On Aug 27, 2005
Yeah, it annoys the sh!t out of Nigerians too. Everyone knows they are faking it, and it's extremely annoying.

One of the best "nigerian american wannabe" accent in a movie was acted by Bob manuel in "games women play". He didn't over-do it. It was just perfect. You'd know he was Nigerian, but he had tasted america.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 5:36am On Aug 27, 2005
I saw that movie but I can't quite remember how it went.

Was that the guy that studied "abroad" and when he came back he was supposed to be with one girl but decided he liked another? I think it was Rita Domonic. He ended up having this really bad temper?
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 5:38am On Aug 27, 2005
do you watch African movies vexxy,
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by WesleyanA(f): 5:39am On Aug 27, 2005
does anyone wonders why nigerian movies are sooooo... short. they spend the first 30 minutes on ads and they say watch out for part 2 at the end.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 5:42am On Aug 27, 2005
@ Terry: yes. I've watched more than I can count so now it's hard to remember which movie went with which title

@ Wesley: That's what makes them so hard to watch at times. The endless dragging on through a party scene or dinner conversation with music overlapping what they're saying. I end up fast forwarding through a lot of them only to see WATCH OUT FOR PART 2 and TO GOD BE THE GLORY. grin
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 5:45am On Aug 27, 2005
do you understand it?
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by hotangel2(f): 5:47am On Aug 27, 2005
vexxy:

I saw that movie but I can't quite remember how it went.

Was that the guy that studied "abroad" and when he came back he was supposed to be with one girl but decided he liked another? I think it was Rita Domonic. He ended up having this really bad temper?

Ermm, it the one that the guy came back from abroad, and then he was to live in his former friend's house, who happens to be the one married to the wife he had back in the USA. He was in jail when his wife left, his wife thought he died, but he wasn't dead. Rita dominic was not in the movie, it was stella damascus, zack orji, bob manuuel, genevieve, and Omotola Jolade. The same movie where Genny begged omotola to date her bf. Do u remeber it now?

Well my point is that, Bob mannuel sounded like a Nigerian who has lived in The USA, and he din't Ober-act his part. The english was just normal, a lil americanized, but really perfect. smiley
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 5:50am On Aug 27, 2005
does any of you have an accent ?
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 5:52am On Aug 27, 2005
Ok, @HA, I watched that one last week.  She started to get mixed feelings and her "now" husband went away for a while so she got back with her "old" husband.  Ok, I remember!

@Terry: yeah, I understand them.  By the tv I have Love Story 1 & 2, Naked Lie, and Super Love.  I've seen Love Story but not the other two.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 5:53am On Aug 27, 2005
you tight, coz i cant stand those movies
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 5:56am On Aug 27, 2005
L.O.L. what makes you be able to understand them? I know the ones I have are in English so it's pretty easy to know what they're talking about.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 5:58am On Aug 27, 2005
ok
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 5:59am On Aug 27, 2005
Do you watch them at all?
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by WesleyanA(f): 6:00am On Aug 27, 2005
i really don't watch nigerian movies...not that i don't want to but my parents and no one else in my family watches it so i don't..... sometimes though i get them form my friends. sometimes.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by vexxy(f): 6:02am On Aug 27, 2005
that's how I get them. My friends are always handing me some.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by EzehM(m): 5:32pm On Sep 09, 2005
I never go out of my way to buy/rent Nigerian movies that don't have what I call 100% local content (with the exception of my cousin's [name withheld] movies. I prefer the Osuofia type movies...They are funny and more importantly real. No fake accents, or whatever. Just real.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by terry(m): 2:25pm On Sep 19, 2005
good for you
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by tamia(f): 9:19pm On Sep 22, 2005
IT REALLY PISSED ME OFF CUZ I WAS WATCHIN' THE MOVIE WIT' MA AMERICAN FRIEND N SHE WAS LIKE "WAT THE HECK IS HE SAYIN' I WAS LIKE " NEVA MIND" [color=#990000][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][i][/i]
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by WesleyanA(f): 11:30pm On Sep 22, 2005
why should it piss you off? just tell him he's speaking nigerian.
and you can translate for your friend if she badly wants to know what he's saying.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by nike4luv(f): 12:31am On Sep 23, 2005
one word

ANNOYING
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by tamia(f): 8:57pm On Oct 13, 2005
WesleyanA (f)

Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies
« #22 on: September 22, 2005, 11:30 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why should it piss you off? just tell him he's speaking nigerian.
and you can translate for your friend if she badly wants to know what he's saying.

it pissed me off cuz he wasn't talkin' in igbo or yoruba it was English but he was tryin' 2 talk like americans he was like sayin' "oh men!" all the time dats just crazy hope u know wat i mean
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by cutiepie18(f): 8:09am On Dec 06, 2005
OMG THAT SHIT BE GETTIN ON MA FUCKEN NERVE DAMN ACT YOURSELF WDF THEY SOUND WEIRD AS HELL TRYIN TO CHANGE OR FORCE THEIR ACCENT.RAMSEY BE DOIN THAT SHIT TOO BUT ITZ ALL GOOD HE AIN'T OVERDOING IT.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by Oyinhoney(m): 12:08am On Dec 08, 2005
they often sound like that bcuz there tryin attract or impress a certain somebody
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by icingbaby(f): 1:02am On Dec 08, 2005
i taught i was the only one piss off by does nollywood people that try to act like american,
i hate it when they do that, that why i don't watch nigeria movies like that, and what up with the part 1, 2, 3 movies they been doing, doesn't make nosense. angry
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by ocho(f): 1:49am On Dec 08, 2005
i don't know if anybody has taked about her but STEPHINE OKERE is just soooo annoying in her movies. The way she talks or should i say tries to talk makes me want to tell her"shhhhhhhhhhh! girl, no be by force to speak funne kill your self"
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by naana(f): 9:11pm On Dec 16, 2005
Stephanie needs to be herself. A good actress but the fake accent is irritating.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by ocho(f): 11:45pm On Dec 16, 2005
girl, tell me about it!!! it's good to know that i'm not the only one who thinks so.
Re: Nigerian American Wannabees in Nollywood Movies by Oracle(m): 5:16am On Dec 19, 2005
well uh thatz what they were told to do

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

YOLO Ghana TV Series / #BBN - Princess Spread Here Legs Wide And Exposed It Naked / Jagaban Ft Selina Tested-episode 26

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.