Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 (1053 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / What Is Going On With The Lagos Light Rail Project / Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by bluehorizo(m): 8:25am On Apr 11, 2008
Less than a month after introducing the Bus Rapid Transit scheme, the Lagos State Government has approved N70bn for another mass transit programme, this time, the light rail project.

And excited by the instant success of the BRT Lite, the state government has also increased the number of buses on the Mile 12 -Ikorodu Road-CMS route from 126 to 196.

The Managing Director, Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority, Dr. Dayo Mobereola, made the disclosure in Lagos on Thursday at a meeting with a delegation from the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, led by its Director-General, Prof. Akin Akindoyeni.

He said that the N70bn was for the completion of two rail networks, which would be ready for operation by 2011.

The two lines, he added were part of the seven rail networks, which LAMATA had prepared for development in the state for effective integrated transport system.

The two lines, according to him, will run through Agbado-Iddo-Marina and Ojo/LASU-Okokomaiko-Marina routes.

He said that the private sectors would provide the rolling stock for the running of the light rail, just like the BRT Lite currently being operated by the National Union of Road Transport Workers.

Moreberola stressed that LAMATA would provide the policy direction and regulation of the transport scheme, in addition to the provision of the necessary infrastructure.

He also said that the rail lines would link the airport, lamenting, that Lagos was the only mega city in the world without an efficient rail system.

It is also the only mega city where its airport is not linked by rail.

The LAMATA boss said, already, two consultants were on ground to come out with feasibility studies and drawings for the project. These should be ready by the end of July this year.

He added that the lines would not interfere with the existing or new rail tracks being conceptualised by the Federal Government along the corridors.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804110361893

Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by Orimili(m): 3:48am On Apr 13, 2008
I'll believe it when I see it.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by doyin13(m): 5:46am On Apr 13, 2008
Can anyone in Lagos verify the success of the BRT scheme?
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by bluehorizo(m): 10:56am On Apr 13, 2008
doyin13:

Can anyone in Lagos verify the success [/b]of the BRT scheme?

[b]SUCCESSFUL
wink wink wink
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by musalawal: 11:13am On Apr 13, 2008
The man is trying.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by Kobojunkie: 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2008
Now that would be an awesome dream come true for me. I wait to see it though.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by Arnold1(m): 12:33pm On Apr 13, 2008
What about the source of power ? How are they going to power the Light rail system ?
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by Kobojunkie: 12:34pm On Apr 13, 2008
Solar?? I mean I would hope the plan also addresses power supply as well as maintainance cost and much more.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by Orimili(m): 11:08pm On Apr 13, 2008
this is not related directly, but has nigeria or any african country considered nuclear energy?
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by bawomolo(m): 11:09pm On Apr 13, 2008
this is not related directly, but has nigeria or any african country considered nuclear energy?

south africa has nuclear plants, egypt is on it's way. well nigeria proposed one. just have to wait and see.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by bashali: 2:53am On Apr 14, 2008
You sure say this no be lie.
What will I do if I am governor of Lagos, when it comes to transportation , this should be the question to ask. The word of God says with God all things are possible. But with insincere people nothing is impossible. I remember how Governor tinubu told all the same story. can you see light rail after his 8 years of office. No.

I believe Govt should not be how you would steal from people , it should be how you make their lifes better. If you can't do something don't tell them you would do, that is call been insincere. This is what this is about. In Nigeria we need sincere people to rule. I have nothing against the governor but the word of God says let your yes be yes and your no be no. Deceit is not good.

If they do not have a solution to solving the problem, let them humbly ask and people may help them. I dont have time. I would try to write some of the solution i think his wrong with the transport system and how to solve them.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by DisGuy: 3:04am On Apr 14, 2008
Arnold1:

What about the source of power ? How are they going to power the Light rail system ?

I think they are proposing or already sourcing for funds for ' lagos energy city' to provide 130mw and if yaradua delivers the 11,000mw in 2011 it might just fall in place

I hope they do the overhead light rail
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by lucabrasi(m): 3:04am On Apr 14, 2008
i dont know if the guy is lieing or not but the guy is delivering on his promises and from all the actions he has taken i dont see any reason to doubt him on this as well
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by TayoD1(m): 6:03am On Apr 14, 2008
@topic,

He also said that the rail lines would link the airport, lamenting, that Lagos was the only mega city in the world without an efficient rail system.
This one na korokoro lie. Minneapolis, St. Paul no get any such mass transit rail lines. Reason is not too far fetched - it involves a lot of govt subsidy. While it takes money to construct the thing, it takes much more to maintain it. Have they consodered this?
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by doyin13(m): 7:08am On Apr 15, 2008
Tayo-D:

@topic,
This one na korokoro lie. Minneapolis, St. Paul no get any such mass transit rail lines. Reason is not too far fetched - it involves a lot of govt subsidy. While it takes money to construct the thing, it takes much more to maintain it. Have they consodered this?

I am beginning to wonder whether your small govt. propositions derive from an innate miserliness.

Haba. . . .you no wan pay a single kobo in tax if you can help it shocked cheesy
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by Kobojunkie: 8:25am On Apr 18, 2008
doyin13:

I am beginning to wonder whether your small govt. propositions derive from an innate miserliness.

Haba. . . .you no wan pay a single kobo in tax if you can help it shocked cheesy

Who no like awoof
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by yemmight(m): 12:13pm On Apr 18, 2008
Govt must also prepare to pay a lot of compensation because if the are to implement as planned, a lo of pple will loose properties. Well all the the best for any govt that meant well for citizens.
Re: N70bn Lagos Light Rail Ready In 2011 by TayoD1(m): 4:58pm On Apr 18, 2008
@doyin13,

Believe me, I am not in any way miserly. I give a significant percentage of my income to charitable organizations every year. My problem with the govt is simply this. Why should someone else be using my money to pose as "Mr Nice Guy?" Shouldn't I have the sole prerogative to decide to whom I want to be charitable? Why should I be penalised for hard work and resourcefulness to pay lazy people who have the same opportunities and abilities like I do, but would rather depend on the govt? Why should I be paying for another man's pension when I do not receive any even though we both laboured in the same economy?

Haba. . . .you no wan pay a single kobo in tax if you can help it
I have no choice but to pay taxes. Falure to do so will make me an outlaw. I am for fiscal responsibility and management. While most Americans are spending less to match their income, the govt, usually Democrats (better name is taxocrats) would rather tax us higher to meet their unsatiable spending appetite. Can't they spend within their means too?

Besides, I believe the govt's work should be limited to governance. Anything beside that should be left in the hands of the citizens. If all they the govt does is governance, we will most likely have to pay about 1/1oth of what we now pay in taxes.

(1) (Reply)

14,000 Died In Religious Riots In Nigeria’ / How many times have the Yoruba actually stood up for justice for the people of.. / Sss Quizzes Etb Md, Seizes Passports Of Bank Phb Directors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.