Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country (6636 Views)

Political Bias Of Nigerian Media (Newspapers/Blogs, TV/Radio Stations) / Infrastructural Neglect In Nigerian Barracks / Infrastructural Tour By Federal Ministry Of Information(PIctures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by DIYTechnologies: 6:31pm On Apr 23, 2013
"Toeing the line of the FG’s transformation agenda, many states have also initiated and embarked upon various infrastructural developmental projects"

I disagree with the above submission. The Federal govt did not set the pace for the state governments. Instead, it is vicea-versa. Lagos (under Fashola) and a few other state pioneered this massive infrastructural development.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
e be like dem just pay 40 laptop dem salary.

today onslaught na die.

i dey wait the time una go talk say Jonathan perform miracle turn wine to water

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by otokx(m): 6:46pm On Apr 23, 2013
There is still no electricity in Uniport & Aluu.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by funnyx(m): 6:54pm On Apr 23, 2013
4llerbuntu: e be like dem just pay 40 laptop dem salary.

today onslaught na die.

i dey wait the time una go talk say Jonathan perform miracle turn wine to water

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by try69: 7:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
tosh_acer: This is the kind of story some people dont want to read or hear. It pains them to read anything positive about Nigeria under GEJ.

When one is a known liar, nothing truthful he says will be accepted.

Wellwork #40laptopcrew
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by toshacer: 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
try69:

When one is a known liar, nothing truthful he says will be accepted.

Wellwork #40laptopcrew

You are right there, thats why no one is taking naysayers serious. They only back on the internet, the reality is there for others to see.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by premlove(m): 7:59pm On Apr 23, 2013
PDPwayoo: Who told you Nigeria is 160 million? Is far less than or far more than. There has never been credible census in Nigeria and ID card is not compulsory in this so called giant of Africa.
u have a problem and im very sure of it
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Capnd143(m): 8:21pm On Apr 23, 2013
As much as Nigeria still has a swath millions of miles long way to go in terms of infrastructure and social amenities, i must comment that the fact that the country is gearing towards infrastructural boom is definitely true. This are some MEGA Projects currently completed,proposed and under constructions.

1.EKO ATLANTIC CITY
2.THE Bourdillon 1
3.the bourdillon 2
4.the centenary city
5.the lekki free trade zone
6.the lekki corridor
7.the lekki port
8.the millenium towers
9.the abuja medical city
10. The trans national highway from nigeria to ivory coast
11.the abuja Green zone
12.the national library 2
13.the e-library
14.the akwa ibom olympic stadium
15.the akwa ibom international airport
16.abuja light rail
17.IBaka deep sea port
18.the tinapa resorts phase 2
19. Lagos glover development
20.daspring apartment lagos
21.MTN COmplex
22.lagos sandshores
23.lagos pearl coppice
24. Lagos sogenal towers
25. Ikoyi frith hill heights
the are several others bt are mostly private own that is why i excluded them! Thou nigeria is corrupt, bt there is still a way forward, if corrupt practices is nt reduced drasticaly, nigeria will end up like india, with a large industrial and infrastructural base yet still unemployed millions, shining towers yet still presence of large slums, state of the art flyovers yet still presence of decade bridges! NIGERIA I HAIL THEE. PROUDLY NAIJA
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by justsayemma(m): 12:22am On Apr 24, 2013
Lies dey rily boom 4 dis country,since the Us congress report,Sincere mugu n his squard neva rest,pls U̶̲̥̅̊ guys shd take a break,we r tired of dis your nonsense,una work pass minister of information sef,you kip tellin us same old sh*t every dey.most of us reside in 9ja,allow us 2 see 4 ourselves.I rily feel 4 you guys,make una rest o,I knw say 2 make moni no easy,bt you guys nid a break
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Nobody: 12:38am On Apr 24, 2013
justsayemma: Lies dey rily boom 4 dis country,since the Us congress report,Sincere mugu n his squard neva rest,pls U̶̲̥̅̊ guys shd take a break,we r tired of dis your nonsense,una work pass minister of information sef,you kip tellin us same old sh*t every dey.most of us reside in 9ja,allow us 2 see 4 ourselves.I rily feel 4 you guys,make una rest o,I knw say 2 make moni no easy,bt you guys nid a break
You wrote as if you were forced to open the thread at gun point. Or didn't you see the topic before clicking? If what you like is bad news, there are other threads with bad news. You can open them and convulse there. Since you said we have been paid to post comments, were you paid to counter our comments?
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Nobody: 4:11am On Apr 24, 2013
prem love: u have a problem and im very sure of it
fooooool, i guess u r one of those kids in NL that post their so called handsome photos.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by cjrane: 4:38am On Apr 24, 2013
Nigeria has come of age to have a National Building Code. This specifies the minimum acceptable standard of infrastructure in Nigeria. For instance,stipulating that all roads built in inhabited areas such as towns and cities must have accompanying drainage systems. The National building code made countries like USA and South Africa to build standard infrastructure in every part of their country, not just their federal capital.In this way, over time, every town or city in these countries are of a certain standard that make these countries qualify as "developed".
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Mogidi: 5:19am On Apr 24, 2013
At this rate only God can stop GEJ remaining at Aso rock beyond 2015. GEJ has restored our hope in good governance, keep it up Mr President.

CARRY GO 2015!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Parnassuss(m): 6:18am On Apr 24, 2013
Rossikk:

Your very existence is hogwash.

Lol, original.

But bro please enlighten me just what has improved so massively and AT WHAT COST? I will not be satisfied if he is building the world's most expensive highway and preaching fiscal conservation in the same breath (his prime debate for increasing fuel price). The promises he made for SURE-P have not even smelled fruition...the guy is a wastrel, and because he is so insecure he cannot abide any competent human in his govt that's why he goes for hacks as ministers and lieutenants. NOI is the only world class official in this government and even she needs some manual resetting
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Parnassuss(m): 6:25am On Apr 24, 2013
Capnd143: As much as Nigeria still has a swath millions of miles long way to go in terms of infrastructure and social amenities, i must comment that the fact that the country is gearing towards infrastructural boom is definitely true. This are some MEGA Projects currently completed,proposed and under constructions.

1.EKO ATLANTIC CITY
2.THE Bourdillon 1
3.the bourdillon 2
4.the centenary city
6.the lekki corridor
7.the lekki port
8.the millenium towers
9.the abuja medical city
11.the abuja Green zone
13.the e-library
16.abuja light rail
17.IBaka deep sea port
21.MTN COmplex
22.lagos sandshores
23.lagos pearl coppice
24. Lagos sogenal towers
the are several others bt are mostly private own that is why i excluded them! Thou nigeria is corrupt, bt there is still a way forward, if corrupt practices is nt reduced drasticaly, nigeria will end up like india, with a large industrial and infrastructural base yet still unemployed millions, shining towers yet still presence of large slums, state of the art flyovers yet still presence of decade bridges! NIGERIA I HAIL THEE. PROUDLY NAIJA

How many of these are in Osun, Yobe, Bauchi, Benue? Also how is MTN complex an achievement of the govt directly.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by try69: 6:30am On Apr 24, 2013
Mogidi: At this rate only God can stop GEJ remaining at Aso rock beyond 2015. GEJ has restored our hope in good governance, keep it up Mr President.

CARRY GO 2015!!!!!!

Oga, allow the people decide when the time comes..

He is shown what he is capable of under the social agreement he signed with the people, it is left for them to choose if he'll return.

As for me, in 2015 I would vote not a leader, who would not keep to his manifestos. I would vote not a leader, who would not tackle head-on our worse problem - corruption. I would vote not a leader, who pleads with terrorists and grants amnesty to every tout that springs up yet cannot pay non-working graduates a premium. I would vote not a leader, who would not see a problem with being too religious. I would vote not a leader, who would not be able to face some female news reporter or some female diplomat. I would vote not a leader, who is not strong willed from even his mere countenance cos that would tell me a lot about his innermost thoughts.

I would stop here..and wait for 2015
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by naptu2: 6:45am On Apr 24, 2013
About ten or eleven years ago I had an argument in class about this same topic.

My friend said that "Nigeria will never get better". She cited the fact that the same people who ruined the country under military rule were being elected and the fact that children of corrupt politicians were being appointed into government positions as her reasons for believing that Nigeria will never get better. She also cited lack of infrastructural development (power, water, etc).

The lecturer was trying to convince her that she was wrong, but I didn't think he was doing a good job, so I joined the debate. I told her that I might have agreed with her if we were still under military rule, but so long as we have a democracy (or something like a democracy), then I believe that Nigeria will eventually get better. It's inevitable. Corrupt politicians might want to hold on to power, but they can't hold on for ever (I cited examples of India and Mexico which had parties that had ruled for 50 and 100 years respectively, but had recently voted those parties out of office). In military rule there's a limit to the kind of pressure we can exert and the amount of influence we have on the government, but in civilian rule, the rulers want something from us and they'll have to give something in order to get something. Yes, it seems like politicians are more corrupt than the military, but remember, under military rule we had no idea what the President's salary was. In a democracy we know what his salary is and can complain about it. It may take some time and we might see highs and lows, but Nigeria will definitely get better (as long as there's no military coup).

Road and rail construction projects, new and reconstructed air and seaports, privatisation of the electricity system, new and stronger Nigerian brands, 100% better telecommunications system, etc prove that I was right.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by curioussp2: 7:08am On Apr 24, 2013
Hey!!!!!! enough of all this fussing joooorrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! seeing is believing, we aren't seeing anything yet, still here we are blacking out all the time. Jonathan!!!!!! let here be light!!!!! we are tired of all this unnecessary generator noise and pollution!!!!!!! This is crazy meeehhhhnnnnnn!!!!! why can't we do something out of determination. remember that National value can is far too honorably than individual value. let us do something to add great value to the image of our country!!!!!!!! Jonathan!! rebuild our international airport and give us stable light in Nigeria. It will make you immortal. A timeless legacy you know? cry
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Josephd1: 1:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
Da'GeeNius:
Increeeeeeeeediiiiiiiiiiiible!!!
yes o its indeed incredible
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by yeboyes: 1:52pm On Apr 24, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I had written about infrastructural boom in the country in the last 3 to 4yrs as a CONCRETE evidence of decreasing corruption https://www.nairaland.com/1242379/corruption-nigeria-it-reducing-increasing

Unfortunately, those who think they can grab political POWER in 2015 by shouting corruption, having placed on themselves the burden of screaming corruption, corruption everywhere they go. I wish them luck

Rossikk:

You're very correct. A rising infrastructure profile most certainly points to less corruption in the system.

Those who disagree should answer the simple question: Why haven't 'corrupt officials' chopped all the money used to build all this new infrastructure we're seeing everywhere, since they are all soooooo corrupt?? Why didn't they just chop the money?

Sincere9gerian & Rossik send me a message i need to show you both something private.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Rossikk(m): 5:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
cjrane: Nigeria has come of age to have a National Building Code. This specifies the minimum acceptable standard of infrastructure in Nigeria. For instance,stipulating that all roads built in inhabited areas such as towns and cities must have accompanying drainage systems. The National building code made countries like USA and South Africa to build standard infrastructure in every part of their country, not just their federal capital.In this way, over time, every town or city in these countries are of a certain standard that make these countries qualify as "developed".

Does the building code include stipulations to build COVERED drainage, with pedestrian sidewalks on the roads? It's not enough to just build open drainage along the roads. In fact that should be banned.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Afam4evaIsASlut: 5:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
Rossikk: This whole thing started with former Governor Duke of Cross River it has to be said. He was the first genuine 'action governor' we had, transforming Calabar from a semi-village to one of the nation's most dynamic and advanced cities. He inspired a trend among state governors to show something tangible for their stewardship. The FG caught the bug, and it's led to a national movement..

Lmaooooo

This dude, they must be paying you really well.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by Afam4evaIsASlut: 5:39pm On Apr 24, 2013
yeboyes:

Sincere9gerian & Rossik send me a message i need to show you both something private.

Eh, no need to show them nothing in private....

Basic pay is around $50/month plus you get a free laptop and all the internet connection you want.

P.S: You have to return the laptop within 48hrs upon termination or resignation of your appointment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by anulaxad(m): 6:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
Rossikk: [size=20pt]Nigeria: On the throes of infrastructural boom?[/size]
Written by Gbemi Solaja

TRIBUNE NEWSPAPERS

Tuesday, 23 April 2013 00:00

NIGERIA, home to over 160 million people, has, over the years, been called the giant of Africa, due particularly to its large population and abundant natural resources. However, the ‘giant of Africa’, over the years, has been plagued by the corrupt attitude of its leaders and people in power. This has stalled the economic and infrastructural growth of the nation and encouraged the scourge of poverty among its citizens.

For decades, the nation depended on its agricultural products and later, with the discovery of crude oil, petroleum resources which till date, has helped grow the country’s economy but not without attendant crises from the Niger Delta region from where the bulk of the crude oil is extracted.

The nation was grossly lacking the basic infrastructure needed by its citizens, which was not helped by the corruption and careless attitudes of the then governments which led to a lot of good projects being abandoned midway or not adequately maintained.

[size=15pt]But fast forward to the present day Nigeria and all that seems to be changing drastically. From the capital cities of states to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, it is obvious that most urban centres are wearing new looks, with major infrastructural projects being implemented by each state government to give necessary facelift to its immediate environment.

The visible changes that are taking place all over the nation range from various road constructions to building of bridges, rebuilding of drainage to the reconstruction of rail lines, upgrading and building of airports and stricter laws enacted to regulate corrupt practices between government officials and contractors. Even to the ordinary eye, according to an engineer, Femi Ogundele, infrastructural development is taking centre stage in Nigeria.

For example, the Federal Government, recently approved a contract worth N1.61trn for the modernisation of its railway system, and about 15 different railway projects were pencilled down for completion between now and 2015.
According to a document on the 2013 capital projects of key federal ministries released, 13 of the projects will receive attention this year at a total cost of N44.35bn.

The railway investment, it was learnt, would involve the construction of new rail lines across the country and rehabilitation of the existing narrow gauge lines. Also, the federal government’s agenda to revamp the sea and air ports will be valuable to federal, states and the local governments, importers and exporters.
Toeing the line of the FG’s transformation agenda, many states have also initiated and embarked upon various infrastructural developmental projects.

Apart from enhancing the aesthetic beauty of major cities in the country, the general development, according to societal critics, has also contributed immensely to the socio-economic sectors, more so, with the creation of the needed employment opportunities for jobless Nigerians.

Today, the construction industry is flourishing as everywhere one turns to there is one construction or the other going on.
According to Godson Ihenacho, an electrical engineer, Nigeria is in the throes of an infrastructural boom. “At the beginning of this political dispensation, we were made to know the agenda of some elected members, including the executive arm of the state. With the deplorable state of infrastructure in most states of the country, one would truly affirm the need for any government to focus mainly on infrastructure while making sure that collapsed public infrastructure is rebuilt to make life more comfortable for the people. I am happy that the governments of most states are taking note”.[/size]

Even cities which were known to be critically short of infrastructure are now changing. In this regard, Oyo State, for example, is not left behind in pursuing efficient urban renewal programme, aimed at making the state to compete favourably with other states in the provision of quality infrastructure for socio-economic transformation and sustainable development.

The Governor Abiola Ajimobi-led government had embarked on massive road construction and maintenance, pulling down old structures and relocating roadside traders to newly built markets. Today, Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, is wearing a new look and residents are beginning to marvel at the new emerging mega city.

In Ogun State and in most states in the South-West, the same story is the order of the day, with each state governor embarking on state-wide constructions and restoration of state order.

A point of reference is Lagos which, over time and with successive administrations, had enacted laws prohibiting illegal roadside trading, parking, settlement, and with law enforcements agencies more diligent than before, dislodging illegal traders, while earthmoving equipment demolished marked illegal structures in many areas. Illegal structures built on drainage and walkways had been pulled down to pave way for easy movement and traffic flow. Also, the proposed Eko Atlantic City is a project of the Lagos State government that says volume about how aware governments have become about the importance of adequate and tasteful infrastructure for its residents. When completed, the Eko Atlantic City is estimated to accommodate over 400,000 residents and a daily flow of 250,000 commuters, thus increasing job creation for Nigerians and foreigners.

The Tinapa project in Cross River State and the Ibom Tropicana resorts in Akwa-Ibom are also testaments of infrastructural boom in Nigeria, with increased tourism potential.
Today, there is a massive inflow to develop present infrastructure. According to Ihenacho, this would generate economic and social benefit.

So, what are the gains from these infrastructural developments? The strong positive link between infrastructural investment and the rate of economic growth is empirically well established. No doubt, quality infrastructure is an ingredient for sustainable development.

According to an architect, Bala Shehu Awwal, without quality infrastructure, good roads, efficient transportation, sanitation and hygienic environment, thriving energy, it would be hard for any society to prosper because poor and inadequate infrastructure hampers growth, more importantly it limits access to penetration into the global economy.
“An environment with good infrastructure will lead to improved access to education and services such as health.

It will generate employment and enhance any country’s ability to trade while reducing cost of goods and services. There will be ease for economic actors to do business in an improved, conducive environment. Access to good roads, railways and ports for instance, are essential for smooth running of such sectors as agriculture, industry and tourism. Efficient transport infrastructure will improve the delivery of other services. Towards achieving a stabilized and buoyant economy, improved infrastructure is a key ingredient to integrate into the global economy,” he said.

However, the question on the lips of many, as regards the renewed vigour and commitment with which governments across Nigeria are carrying out infrastructural projects is whether these projects would be adequately maintained in the coming years. Over the years, public facilities in Nigeria had been neglected or abandoned by successive governments and Nigerians argued if this wouldn’t be the case this time. According to Henry Aderibigbe, a public servant, the neglect and lack of maintenance of public facilities would, just as it had been before, lead to depletion or a state of disrepair in infrastructure and therefore make economic growth slow because infrastructural development in any country imposed on the cost of running business.

He stressed that infrastructure needs continuous upgrading in order to meet the demand of the growing population. He added, “That’s the challenge that most developing nations such as Nigeria face afterwards. Many stakeholders are of the view that governments that invest in such projects should be commended because it takes foresight to invest in things that will mostly benefit future generations.

Infrastructure doesn’t only include roads and bridge construction but cuts across designing that affords networking of highways; creating a network of well-maintained highways is a boom to industries, as highways that link major growth centres to seaports and airports, would afford speedy and efficient transportation etc. Also, the building of efficient and strategically positioned seaports, the development of industrial and specialized parks, these and some other developments would help take the nation to greater heights.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/10123-nigeria-on-the-throes-of-infrastructural-boom

SHUT UP,I MAYBE AND ECONOMIST,BUT NOTHING TURNS ME ON MORE THAN INFRASTRUCTURE AND IF SOME DELUDED slowpoke IS GOING TO
START POSTING CRAP WITHOUT ANY SIGHTING TO BE SEEN THEN THEY SHOULD BE SANCTIONED.

NIGERIA HAS NOT GOT EVEN ONE SINGLE GOOD ROAD,HARDLY ANY GOOD OR MODERNLY EQUIPPED SCHOOLS AND HOSPITALS SO PLEASE STOP POSTING CRAP.
Re: Nigerian Media Hail ''Infrastructural Boom'' In The Country by anulaxad(m): 6:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
Capnd143: As much as Nigeria still has a swath millions of miles long way to go in terms of infrastructure and social amenities, i must comment that the fact that the country is gearing towards infrastructural boom is definitely true. This are some MEGA Projects currently completed,proposed and under constructions.

1.EKO ATLANTIC CITY
2.THE Bourdillon 1
3.the bourdillon 2
4.the centenary city
6.the lekki corridor
7.the lekki port
8.the millenium towers
9.the abuja medical city
11.the abuja Green zone
13.the e-library
16.abuja light rail
17.IBaka deep sea port
21.MTN COmplex
22.lagos sandshores
23.lagos pearl coppice
24. Lagos sogenal towers

IS THIS MEANT TO BE AN ACHIEVEMENT 99 PERCENT OF THOSE THINGS ARE HARDLY WITH US NOW.
AS SOMEONE SAID ITS A SHAME NIGERIANS DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE ENTITLED TO BEING A CITIZEN OF A COUNTRY, BUT FROM A RICH COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA,ANY WESTERNER LIKE ME WILL FIND THIS PISS TAKING

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Dupes The US - Washington Times / Beautiful Cities In South West Nigeria / How Can Sick Soldiers Be In Full Regalia In Hospital Bed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.